• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 story trailer

Ricky_R

PSY・S;188077790 said:
yeah, the posters trying to frame disappointment as outrage

Sure. The controversy started with people questioning the casting without any ounce of info. Curiously, the only info we had was enough recent proof that ND was sensitive to the issue, but no... People just dissmissed that for controvery's sake.

Anyway, I'm glad Druckmann cleared that bullshit up. While there will be people who will keep polluting, this will keep it to a minimum.

On latest video topic... How cool it would be if we could do some Mission Impossible like stuff among the whole historic themed missions.

Gurish

The gameplay will look like that, it's just a lighting difference from cutscene to gameplay.

The models in gameplay are not looking as good, at least from the demos we've seen.

Don't get me wrong, the jeep demo is still the most impressive thing I've seen from this gen, but the cut scene fidelity is still a step above.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Naughty Dog is one of my favorite developers. They truly are some of the best in the industry, and I cannot wait for U4. That presentation, those dialogue choices...

ShutterMunster

I could watch an entire movie looking like this, seriously, this is incredible.

I know it's in-engine and gameplay wont look like this, but this is still real time (unlike previous games cutscenes), David Cage's game can look pretty close to this, fuck.

🤔

Did you miss the seamless transition to gameplay they've shown 3 or 4 times now? Of course you can't see all the details during gameplay, the camera is never in that close. It's all real time.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
"I don't see color!"

Must be nice.

I don't really like this answer. Just change her to white african then. I'm tired of these dudes acting like we live in some kind of post racial dreamhouse and everyone who complains is just 'trying to be PC".
Should people be mad they have a black actor playing a white character? Why does it matter who is behind the character performing as long as it's done well? I'm sure there are plenty of other instances where a character is played by a different ethnicity.

Sure. The controversy started with people questioning the casting without any ounce of info. Curiously, the only info we had was enough recent proof that ND was sensitive to the issue, but no... People just dissmissed that for controvery's sake.

Anyway, I'm glad Druckmann cleared that bullshit up. While there will be people who will keep polluting, this will keep it to a minimum.

On latest video topic... How cool it would be if we could do some Mission Impossible like stuff among the whole historic themed missions.
I feel so sad reading comments like this because I wish I could not care about issue I feel are important like you guys.

Ran rp

"I don't see color!"

Must be nice.

I don't really like this answer. Just change her to white african then. I'm tired of these dudes acting like we live in some kind of post racial dreamhouse and everyone who complains is just 'trying to be PC".

Yeah I didn't like some of his points like that one, but the character herself is fine. No need to change her.

Wow, so it's confirmed that nothing in uc4 will be pre rendered and touched up like the previous uncharted cutscenes?

I figured this would be the case due to size limitations but it makes it that much more impressive

Gurish

🤔

Did you miss the seamless transition to gameplay they've shown 3 or 4 times now? Of course you can't see all the details during gameplay, the camera is never in that close. It's all real time.

Yea but they are doing it very smartly so you wouldn't notice, let's say that during photo mode, even when you will zoom in, it wont look like those cut scene models.

Are these cutscenes running real time on ps4?

Yea, that's why everybody are so amazed, all real time, confirmed by ND.

Ricky_R

I feel so sad reading comments like this because I wish I could not care about issue I feel are important like you guys.

You keep confusing being annoyed at people shitting a thread unnecessarily with not caring about the issue in general.

I do care about minorities' under representation, I'm puertorican myself, but there was no need for that with the context we had.

If you feel so strongly about it, make a thread and discuss the issue.

zsynqx

Ha it's Neil's birthday as well

@Neil_Druckmann 4 minutes ago
Not every day you get serenaded by @nolan_north @TroyBakerVA @LauraBaileyVO & Richard m. & @cavemansQuest Sniff...

CVgG1ExVEAAUfbQ.jpg

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/673295657227063296

Jigolo

The models in gameplay are not looking as good, at least from the demos we've seen.

Don't get me wrong, the jeep demo is still the most impressive thing I've seen from this gen, but the cut scene fidelity is still a step above.

Gameplay models are exactly the same. In the cutscenes they will probably add more lighting stuff but models are the same for every character. The difference is in the lighting; cutscenes are very controlled spaces kinda like a photoshoot area:

nastyl-gal-los-angeles-HQ-13.jpg

Naughty Dog can control most (or all) aspects of the scene when it's a cutscene but they can't do that during gameplay.

prwxv3

"I don't see color!"

Must be nice.

What a terrible idea. Its as great design.

Gurish

Nah, the Order still looks better. But it's also doing a lot less set pieces.

No way, the Drake and Sam cutscene looks so good, clearly better than The Order's cutscens, it's not only visuals, it's the facial expressions, animation, everything, it passes as a CGI video for me, maybe not Pixar level but certainly good enough that I can pay to see a full movie like this, just like FF and others CGI films.

Gameplay models are exactly the same. In the cutscenes they will probably add more lighting stuff but models are the same for every character. The difference is in the lighting; cutscenes are very controlled spaces kinda like a photoshoot area:

nastyl-gal-los-angeles-HQ-13.jpg

Naughty Dog can control most (or all) aspects of the scene when it's a cutscene but they can't do that during gameplay.

Do we have any confirmation that the models are the same and only the lighting is different (not that lighting can't make a huge difference alone... they are probably adding additional sources and stuff)

You keep confusing being annoyed at people shitting a thread unnecessarily with not caring about the issue in general.

I do care about minorities' under representation, I'm puertorican myself, but there was no need for that with the context we had.

If you feel so strongly about it, make a thread and discuss the issue.
You keep saying things like this but none of my conduct or anybody else in that thread like that.
How were we "shitting a thread unnecessarily"?

DedValve

Banned
"I don't see color!"

Must be nice.

Did you hear what he said? Because he never once mentions the bolded and I have to believe you where listening to a different interview. He never even said he didn't see color!

Did you hear what he said? Because he never once mentions the bolded and I have to believe you where listening to a different interview. He never even said he didn't see color!

"I don't see color" was mentioned as a joke by one of the actors, which may be what the poster is referring to and misunderstood.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Should people be mad they have a black actor playing a white character? Why does it matter who is behind the character performing as long as it's done well? I'm sure there are plenty of other instances where a character is played by a different ethnicity.

Its about representation...and just saying "Laura bailey is the best voice actor we came across out of hundreds of voices" just doesn't fly with me when they use troy and shit every other second. It seems like they don't really care as long as they have people they are 'in with' in that Californian bubble.

What a terrible idea. Its as great design.

Then choose a voice actor with talent that accurately represents the role then. I don't believe them when they say out of hundreds of VA, they just happened to pick Bailey(and to a lesser extent Troy) just cause "she was the best". Best connected in California maybe.

Ran rp

What's also funny about the "we don't see color" thing is they clearly did, and he said as much. He talked about how they understood the issues surrounding the character and casting choice and how they wanted to handle it properly. So I don't know why he tried to drop that line.

edit: or was that someone else. nolan? ^^^

anyways, i'm done with that.

No way, the Drake and Sam cutscene looks so good, clearly better than The Order's cutscens, it's not only visuals, it's the facial expressions, animation, everything, it passes as a CGI video for me, maybe not Pixar level but certainly good enough that I can pay to see a full movie like this, just like FF and others CGI films.

Do we have any confirmation that the models are the same and only the lighting is different (not that lighting can't make a huge difference alone... they are probably adding additional sources and stuff)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFxSz8Yqy9w
At 32:00 to 33:17

Dinjooh

PSY・S;188080290 said:
What's also funny about the "we don't see color" thing is they clearly did, and he said as much. He talked about how they understood the issues surrounding the character and casting choice and how they wanted to handle it properly. So I don't know why he tried to drop that line.

edit: or was that someone else. nolan? ^^^

anyways, i'm done with that.

That was definitely Nolan that said that.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Anyway, that's all i want to complain about. I just don't like ND or the panel's attitude towards the subject.

That's just my opinion on the matter.

Then choose a voice actor with talent that accurately represents the role then. I don't believe them when they say out of hundreds of VA, they just happened to pick Bailey(and to a lesser extent Troy) just cause "she was the best". Best connected in California maybe.

She was cast before the design was finalized. She had a lot of lines and mocap finished when they decided to make Nadine black.

DedValve

Banned
"I don't see color" was mentioned as a joke by one of the actors, which may be what the poster is referring to and misunderstood.

I'm figuring it was this. Don't get me wrong I think the "I don't see color" statement is bogus as hell but going by what Niel said there was no wrong committed here.

If anything a bigger concern is how dominant some of these VA's play in the industry and how there seems to be a lack of diversity but then again Nolan North and Troy Baker are the superstars so it could just be a lot more light is shone upon them for their range and there really aren't that many people with that much range.

Someone else on the panel, off-screen, says it.

I don't see the issue.

Did people lose their shit when the lady who voiced Clemantine in TWD didn't turn out to be a child?

Top Bottom