• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Story Trailer

Alo0oy

Banned
Uncharted 3 is not that much longer than Drake's Fortune. Among Thieves is the outlier in terms of length

No, it's much much longer, I noticed that immediately when I played the Uncharted Collection going for the speed run trophies. Uncharted 3 is much closer to Uncharted 2 in length than Uncharted 1 even.

Yeah those long chapters had very little story, but they didn't stand out like the Ship Graveyard chapters in Uncharted 3, maybe because Drake wasn't alone the whole time, Elena was always there, which made the lack of story less obvious or boring.

That, and like I said I love the structure of it all. I love all those bits I mentioned, I love making my way down the tower using the verticality, using the shield to get up the stairs from the gunfire, and clambering around to get good angles, the little environmental interactions like the wooden bridge breaking up or catching Elena on that jump, and shit like that. Plus, they're always following the bad guys/plot, so its not like "so uh what was the point of this chapter again" with the shipyard stuff.

I think that's one of the areas UC3 gets tripped up on, by having a lot of expensive/time consuming set pieces that people always remember, but they didn't have a lot of chapters like UC2's 22/23, or all the Pittsburgh stuff in The Last of Us where its just Joel and Ellie fucking around in the hotel for like a hour.

I wanna say that's Bruce Straely's influence. As the Game Director, he's probably always pushing for more gameplay even if the plot momentum takes a backseat for awhile. Like "We have these mechanics, we have this environment, lets make the most of it playtime wise". I can definitely see more of that in UC4. Like there's gonna be a long ass part where its just Drake and Sam on the Island with minimal cutscenes or big setpieces.

I really hope they break their tradition of past Uncharted trophies. I mean I love Uncharted and I love to trophy hunt, but their trophies are pretty weak. I guess they'll pull off another TLOU and have very little trophies.

That, and like I said I love the structure of it all. I love all those bits I mentioned, I love making my way down the tower using the verticality, using the shield to get up the stairs from the gunfire, and clambering around to get good angles, the little environmental interactions like the wooden bridge breaking up or catching Elena on that jump, and shit like that. Plus, they're always following the bad guys/plot, so its not like "so uh what was the point of this chapter again" with the shipyard stuff.

I think that's one of the areas UC3 gets tripped up on, by having a lot of expensive/time consuming set pieces that people always remember, but they didn't have a lot of chapters like UC2's 22/23, or all the Pittsburgh stuff in The Last of Us where its just Joel and Ellie fucking around in the hotel for like a hour.

Yeah, and the bridge in TLOU's Pittsburgh fulfills a similar role as the tower in UC2's monastery, or the hotel in Nepal, or the temple seen from the top of the hotel...I'm sensing a pattern here. Plot-wise, it could pretty much take as little or as long as the designers want for the characters to reach those locations, leaving as much room for gameplay in-between as they want. I'm totally fine with scenarios that have the characters more-or-less inching their way towards a defined endpoint, as long as the sequences on the way hold up. Pittsburgh is probably my favorite stretch of TLOU because it's really just a big fuckin' chunk of gameplay that you can go nuts with that's also contextualized well with the journey to the bridge, giving the player a constant sense of progress and not the feeling of grinding through encounters. Aside from the island (or islands?) in UC4, I could also see something similar with the savannah, since that's a big ass area that could go any direction, design-wise. But the potential for playspace is definitely there. The party scene will probably be a bit tighter, but I have no clue about the E3 demo area. Then again, the tower Nate and Sully spot at the start of the demo could appear as an objective earlier in the scenario, so who knows.

Starting to get hype as fuck boys. Been sleeping on this game a bit for who knows why, but it's all starting to hit me.

So I just smoked a little bit and
I just watched the Uc4 story trailer. Then the E3 2015 demo. Then the PSX trailer. Then the other PSX trailer (with Nadine). And...

oh my God...is it just me or does this game truly feel like it is more mature, darker & serious than before? All good too, in my opinion, that's what this series needs especially for a closing chapter and that's what I wanted.

I know they said that the game will be a "light hearted romp" - and I'm sure it will be that in its own right, but the overall tone I think will be madd different...

I mean think about it, the music is also much spookier and enticing than it was before. Listening to the previous themes & soundtrack overall just gives you the action-adventure summer blockbuster vibe. It's different, and I like it.

According to howlongtobeat.com
The average Main Story playtime:

Uncharted 1: 9h 45m
Uncharted 2: 10h 49m
Uncharted 3: 9h 14m
The Last of Us: 15h 27m

So let's say your average Uncharted story is 10 hours long.
Maybe Uncharted 4 will be 15 hours like TLOU?

Edit: I messed up. UC1 average main story is 8h 40m

My personal times (averaged out over multiple playthroughs)

Drake's Fortune: 6.5 hours
Among Thieve's: 10 hours
Drake's Deception: 7.5 hours

word, thanks. so if this is a good amount longer than the average, I wonder if in that time they'll tell the same amount of story, but introduce a lot more supporting characters. uncharted's cast is great, but most of them are all main characters. the supporting characters are almost borderline minor characters. at least from the past.

(didn't play Uc1) - tenzin & Schäfer in Uc2, salem & cutter (arguably chloe although she was a main character in 2) in Uc3. maybe with Uc4 they'll expand upon the cast. maybe not.

Starting to get hype as fuck boys. Been sleeping on this game a bit for who knows why, but it's all starting to hit me.

Can't even turn my hype off. Been hyped since the PSX demo, and the Beta only increased my frothing demand.

If this doesn't live up to my gameplay expectations I'm done with the medium tbh

Can't even turn my hype off. Been hyped since the PSX demo, and the Beta only increased my frothing demand.

If this doesn't live up to my gameplay expectations I'm done with the medium tbh

I think what happened was I was pretty hyped, then the delay happened and I kinda fell off the train. But W E B A C K B O Y S

btw - again going off of all the gameplay I just watched, I don't know why people are so against a splitscreen coop campaign mode in this game.

the chase scene with sam on the bike and nathan shooting - it'd be an easy opportunity to get player 1 be shooting and player two be sam, even though it'd be scripted and not as open as the single player experience

never got to play the beta. got to watch it through shareplay though

Felt so good. Buttery smooth, great feedback, great animations, great sound.

I think what happened was I was pretty hyped, then the delay happened and I kinda fell off the train. But W E B A C K B O Y S

Delay wasn't long enough to douse this flame. The No Man's Sky release window and the Deus Ex delay though...woof

btw - again going off of all the gameplay I just watched, I don't know why people are so against a splitscreen coop campaign mode in this game.

the chase scene with sam on the bike and nathan shooting - it'd be an easy opportunity to get player 1 be shooting and player two be sam, even though it'd be scripted and not as open as the single player experience

Easier said than done. The bike chase doesn't flow like a co-op set piece at all. Way too many complex scripted moments and transitions, and you'd lose the dynamic camera framing. Rendering 2 viewpoints of all that chaos would undoubtedly be hell on the engine as well forcing them to simplify it a ton.

Felt so good. Buttery smooth, great feedback, great animations, great sound.
did it feel mostly like Uc2 or Uc3? the thing I liked most about Uc3 mp is that splitscreen was included tbh. but i didn't play it much.

Easier said than done. The bike chase doesn't flow like a co-op set piece at all. Way too many complex scripted moments and transitions, and you'd lose the dynamic camera framing. Rendering 2 viewpoints of all that chaos would undoubtedly be hell on the engine as well forcing them to simplify it a ton.
you don't think it's something naughty dog could still pull off though? if they wanted to, that is?

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
did it feel mostly like Uc2 or Uc3? the thing I liked most about Uc3 mp is that splitscreen was included tbh. but i didn't play it much.

you don't think it's something naughty dog could still pull off though? if they wanted to, that is?
Perks and gimmicks feels like U3 but vertically reminded me of U2 before the Infamous patch

As far as core gameplay goes...neither, really. UC4's is magnitudes beyond UC2/3's, to the point where it's difficult to even compare them. UC4 is tits.
so...this is all good, right?

as far as the "perks" shit goes I don't like the AI ones. this is mp, so all we should be shooting at is other people, not cpus.

other than that though I cannot knock it till I've tried it although just from the looks of it I ain't too crazy about it
I meant verticality not vertically damn you mobile auto correction
gotta love that stupidass auto correct :p

so i'm guessing what you're saying is that the level design is good, and similar to Uc2's?

Ricky_R

I know this game will feature more destructible environments than ever before, but I wonder to what extent.

In the following shot you can see the column wall with what seems to be some destruction, unless the tile has a different texture. Hopefully you can shoot those things and they crumble. ;)

s9gJGPn.jpg

Javin98

Banned
So for those who played the beta, how do the controls compare to MGSV's? MGSV is basically the pinnacle of responsive and precise controls in games for me now. If the controls in Uncharted 4 are even close, it might very well be the GOAT for me.

Ricky_R

So for those who played the beta, how do the controls compare to MGSV's? MGSV is basically the pinnacle of responsive and precise controls in games for me now. If the controls in Uncharted 4 are even close, it might very well be the GOAT for me.

I can't really say that they compare, but the beta felt quite smooth and responsive. The gunplay felt like they finally got it right as well.

I know this game will feature more destructible environments than ever before, but I wonder to what extent.

In the following shot you can see the column wall with what seems to be some destruction, unless the tile has a different texture. Hopefully you can shoot those things and they crumble. ;)

s9gJGPn.jpg
by destructible environments are we talking about everything. down to shooting a wall and seeing the bullet holes & marks n shit? A lot of games will just fade them away after like half a minute.

I suppose it's got something to do with the RAM.

Javin98

Banned
I can't really say that they compare, but the beta felt quite smooth and responsive. The gunplay felt like they finally got it right as well.
Sounds good enough for me. As long as Nate controls fluid and responsive enough when in tight situations, I'm satisfied. I recently replayed Uncharted 2 via the free NDC demo and boy, the controls felt bad after playing MGSV and TLOU:R. The guns do seem to finally pack a punch from the videos I've seen.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm hoping they add proper stealth to this as they did with TLOU. It took me 23 hours for my first playthrough just because I took my sweet time.

Just finished Uncharted 1 for the first time.

Some great moments, but some frustrating as hell moments too. The first setpiece when you're shooting the cars as Elena is driving was fantastic, but then you had moments inside the bunker with those Zombies where it was all too cluttered.

Music was amazing though, and I think it stood out the most in this game. Playing 2 and 3 again before 4 so we'll see.

Sounds good enough for me. As long as Nate controls fluid and responsive enough when in tight situations, I'm satisfied. I recently replayed Uncharted 2 via the free NDC demo and boy, the controls felt bad after playing MGSV and TLOU:R. The guns do seem to finally pack a punch from the videos I've seen.

It's the best controlling ND game to date. The controls are really tight (outside of the Melee animation overlap, which tends me be weird in MP games anyways). It's just that MGSV is the king for a reason.

I'd say if the beta was locked 60 FPS, it would be pretty close. What would probably hold UC4 back is more the interaction stuff rather then actual controls (eg. do I climb up or at a 45 degree angle).

The one thing that does catch my eye in the trailer is the dithering.
It's pretty aparent sometimes.

You Probably won't notice much of it in motion though..

The images in the OP don't have the dithering that is in the actual gameplay. So these shots are a bit... bullshotty.

Ricky_R

by destructible environments are we talking about everything. down to shooting a wall and seeing the bullet holes & marks n shit? A lot of games will just fade them away after like half a minute.

I suppose it's got something to do with the RAM.

Not completely of course, but there seems to be a lot of destructible stuff, but I'm not sure to what extent. I imagine that most walls and structures won't be, but hopefully there's enough destructibility to submerge us in the illusion that almost everything is.

Sounds good enough for me. As long as Nate controls fluid and responsive enough when in tight situations, I'm satisfied.

In the beta, at least, Drake (and other characters) felt awesome to control.

Not completely of course, but there seems to be a lot of destructible stuff, but I'm not sure to what extent. I imagine that most walls and structures won't be, but hopefully there's enough destructibility to submerge us in the illusion that almost everything is.
Uc3 had destruction too right? So let's say it's that, on the next level.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Didn't we see distractable environments in the original trailer? Things like the market place, sandbags, tiles on walls and lattice works that break when you push an enemy into them?

Ricky_R

Didn't we see distractable environments in the original trailer? Things like the market place, sandbags, tiles on walls and lattice works that break when you push an enemy into them?

Yes, I was just wondering to what extent since the image I posted shows what appears to be a destructible column and I expected to only see destructible stuff akin to the market area, and not structures.

Anyway, I'm sure it will one be superficial.

Natels

I'm still playing MGSV mainly because I love the gameplay and the beta was awesome. Gameplay feels good and satisfying.

Javin98

Banned
It's the best controlling ND game to date. The controls are really tight (outside of the Melee animation overlap, which tends me be weird in MP games anyways). It's just that MGSV is the king for a reason.

I'd say if the beta was locked 60 FPS, it would be pretty close. What would probably hold UC4 back is more the interaction stuff rather then actual controls (eg. do I climb up or at a 45 degree angle).
In the beta, at least, Drake (and other characters) felt awesome to control.
Sounds great! Thanks for the responses, guys! If the story is as good as TLOU and there is no annoying encounters, Uncharted 4 might really turn out to be the GOAT for me.

I'm still playing MGSV mainly because I love the gameplay and the beta was awesome. Gameplay feels good and satisfying.
Indeed, I've sunk in 157 hours in MGSV and just S ranked all missions yesterday and the awesome gameplay is one of the main reasons I keep returning.
That and Quiet, of course. :p

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yes, I was just wondering to what extent since the image I posted shows what appears to be a destructible column and I expected to only see destructible stuff akin to the market area, and not structures.

Anyway, I'm sure it will one be superficial.

In three there were pillars you could destroy to bring down scenery for various reasons so I'd imagine there will be at least 'some' heavy destructibility. I can't see it being implemented universally though. Hitting those narrative beats will be just as important as offering gamers a sense of freedom this time around.

I wonder if there's any chance they'll include the Explorer mode difficulty from the collection. Probably not likely since that was BluePoint, but for someone who's skill has diminished with age and not much time to game it was very welcome.

I wonder if there's any chance they'll include the Explorer mode difficulty from the collection. Probably not likely since that was BluePoint, but for someone who's skill has diminished with age and not much time to game it was very welcome.
what exactly was explorer mode? one shot kills?

also, I hope they include that, but not the extra hard mode. crushing is crushing enough.

also, I hope they include that, but not the extra hard mode. crushing is crushing enough.

Not quite one shot, but definitely easier to get through some of the shooting sections. I had trouble with the mutant things at the end of 1 on easy (my son got me past it), got through fine on explorer.

Javin98

Banned

Hmm, really? I always felt that Uncharted 2 was best played on Crushing, actually, much like how The Last Of Us is best played on Survivor, on subsequent playthroughs for both, of course. I don't know if an even harder mode in Uncharted 2 would make the game better or more frustrating, honestly. Uncharted 3, on the other hand, was full of cheap deaths on Crushing. It's the main reason I'm glad Justin Richmond is not involved in Uncharted 4.

Ricky_R

I can't see it being implemented universally though. Hitting those narrative beats will be just as important as offering gamers a sense of freedom this time around.

Yeah, I don't see it either. It will probably be enough stuff/objects between Drake and enemies, as well as a few structure parts here and there.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yeah, I don't see it either. It will probably be enough stuff/objects between Drake and enemies, as well as a few structure parts here and there.

Yeah, it will be just enough to make you feel attached to the environments but not enough to make you feel as if you can completely alter the paths the narrative beat needs. I'm thinking TLOU with slightly broader areas and small conversations dotted around depending on which route through you take. That should give it a decent reason to play it again to find those hidden dialogue trees. I can't wait. I just want legitimate stealth this time around.

I find this unlikely.

Salz01

One thing I hope they change from the beta is the execution kills. Coming off of last of us mp, when somebody is down and you have to kick them to ko them it seems odd. Hope they implement finishing moves.

That kick just looks lame when the characters do it.

Javin98

Banned
One thing I hope they change from the beta is the execution kills. Coming off of last of us mp, when somebody is down and you have to kick them to ko them it seems odd. Hope they implement finishing moves.

That kick just looks lame when the characters do it.
Wait, there were no special executions in the beta? I really hope they add it in. Felt really badass to do it in TLOU.

Ricky_R

I find this unlikely.

I meant the actual tiles, not the pillars per se. I think it would be great, even if it's only superficial damage.

Yeah, it will be just enough to make you feel attached to the environments but not enough to make you feel as if you can completely alter the paths the narrative beat needs. I'm thinking TLOU with slightly broader areas and small conversations dotted around depending on which route through you take. That should give it a decent reason to play it again to find those hidden dialogue trees. I can't wait. I just want legitimate stealth this time around.

Exactly. For Uncharted, that would be more than enough.

Jigolo

s9gJGPn.jpg

Killzone2Pillar.gif

Killzone 2 really is my favorite FPS of all time

Salz01

Wait, there were no special executions in the beta? I really hope they add it in. Felt really badass to do it in TLOU.

Nope. But once you are down you can run down the health meter yourself by holding down x or whatever it was or wait to be revived. One thing that I wish last of us had. I hate just crawling around waiting to be executed or revived.

Not quite one shot, but definitely easier to get through some of the shooting sections. I had trouble with the mutant things at the end of 1 on easy (my son got me past it), got through fine on explorer.
damn, it's supposed to be easy on easy lol. but I guess even on explorer there is a bare minimum challenge. in any case yeah, I hope Uc4 includes it too (but NOT the extra hard difficulty but I got a bad feeling they will)
Hmm, really? I always felt that Uncharted 2 was best played on Crushing, actually, much like how The Last Of Us is best played on Survivor, on subsequent playthroughs for both, of course. I don't know if an even harder mode in Uncharted 2 would make the game better or more frustrating, honestly. Uncharted 3, on the other hand, was full of cheap deaths on Crushing. It's the main reason I'm glad Justin Richmond is not involved in Uncharted 4.
to each their own, I guess. although i'm not one to base a best way to play a game on the difficulty, though. nowadays for me that just comes down to how I get the trophies. I said on an earlier page i'll play it on easy, and then (hopefully if it is there from the start) crushing.

Top Bottom