• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

The Monastery battle isn't as hard as people make it out to be. The front door stays open the whole time, allowing you to double back and let the enemies bottleneck themselves.

SaitoH

I started a new playthrough on crushing and finished it the same day. I think that makes 6 times I've played through this game.

Applesauce said:
Same here. I did, however, have a lot of trouble with the demo level on Crushing. And the jet ski up-river :-(

Next time you do that jet-ski up river... don't stop and shoot. Just floor it and tap R1 like mad and boom, you made it. I discovered this a while ago and posted it many many pages ago lol. It really works. Everyone tends to think you need to stop, hold L1, aim and shoot. Not the case at this part.

Jack Scofield said:
The Monastery battle isn't as hard as people make it out to be. The front door stays open the whole time, allowing you to double back and let the enemies bottleneck themselves.
But what's the fun in that :lol

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Next time you do that jet-ski up river... don't stop and shoot. Just floor it and tap R1 like mad and boom, you made it. I discovered this a while ago and posted it many many pages ago lol. It really works. Everyone tends to think you need to stop, hold L1, aim and shoot. Not the case at this part.
Wish I would have known that while I was playing... would have saved me a bunch of headaches.

Right so, I'm playing uncharted, on chapter 6. I've had this game since last year ;x but I never got round to playing it properly. So anyhoo, I just want to know, is the entire game just face enemies every 5-10 mins and fight them the same way every single time?

ashism

dabookerman said:
Right so, I'm playing uncharted, on chapter 6. I've had this game since last year ;x but I never got round to playing it properly. So anyhoo, I just want to know, is the entire game just face enemies every 5-10 mins and fight them the same way every single time?
That general statement could be used to describe all shooters.

Have you somehow bypassed the climbing and puzzle sequences?

ashism said:
That general statement could be used to describe all shooters.

Have you somehow bypassed the climbing and puzzle sequences?

Yeah I guess it can, it's a bit vague what i'm trying to describe. What I mean is, the shooting segments is fine, but gets really tiring. I very much enjoy all the climbing and puzzle sequences. It's mainly the shooting stuff that bothers me. It's an awesome game overall, just not enjoying the shooting parts, hope things get better I suppose ;x

I'm on chapter 6, how many are there?

DMeisterJ

Banned
dabookerman said:
Yeah I guess it can, it's a bit vague what i'm trying to describe. What I mean is, the shooting segments is fine, but gets really tiring. I very much enjoy all the climbing and puzzle sequences. It's mainly the shooting stuff that bothers me. It's an awesome game overall, just not enjoying the shooting parts, hope things get better I suppose ;x

I'm on chapter 6, how many are there?

21 or 22, but they vary in length. I think 4 is the longest one.

And yes, the shooting/platforming-puzzle ratio is probably 80/20 or 75/25. So prepare to shoot a lot.

Ahh cool, so just over a quarter way through. It's a really great game, i'm just playing it for inspiration regarding my character modelling. Nathan Drake's model is fucking unreal, absolutely amazing model. Love the subtleties like the cloth wrinkles changing during his walks. Awesome stuff.

i finished the game on crushing, and now i'm picking up some left over trophies.

i'm choosing chapters to get some, and i DID get some new medals.. HOWEVER,.. i didn't get the trophies that are coupled to it.

when i look in to my bonus inventory, i see the medal, without the trophy...

how could this be possible?

so i have to erase al save files to do this.. god damn.. do i have to get ALL the motherfucking treasures again??. i allready had 56 of them

fuck you in the ass naughty dog. god damn you for this if true.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Always-honest said:
so i have to erase al save files to do this.. god damn.. do i have to get ALL the motherfucking treasures again??. i allready had 56 of them

fuck you in the ass naughty dog. god damn you for this if true.

The only reason you have to delete the save file and start again is for re-getting the medals so that your are awarded the corresponding trophies.

You said you are getting *new* medals, and you should get the corresponding trophies no matter what you did with your save.

TTP said:
The only reason you have to delete the save file and start again is for re-getting the medals so that your are awarded the corresponding trophies.

You said you are getting *new* medals, and you should get the corresponding trophies no matter what you did with your save.

those were new medals. i got the medal, but i didn't get the trophy.
more people seem to have this problem online.
so i deleted my save files.. but now i need to get all the treasures again.. and i only needed 4 of them............

you can't overwrite your save files or something... what a fucking idiotic thing naughty dog...

Mesijs

-viper- said:
Well I doubt it's more frustrating than playing R2 on difficult D:
It isn't because R2 is just horribly designed... Uncharted is difficult but it's always your fault when you die, while R2 can be completely random.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Always-honest said:
those were new medals. i got the medal, but i didn't get the trophy.
more people seem to have this problem online.
so i deleted my save files.. but now i need to get all the treasures again.. and i only needed 4 of them............

you can't overwrite your save files or something... what a fucking idiotic thing naughty dog...
Strange, I never had an issue like this.

Schrade

Rez said:
Strange, I never had an issue like this.
I have. I started a new game after the trophy patch and I was getting things awarded to me at first but when I exited the game and came back I wasn't getting any more trophies and only 1 trophy was in my trophy list.

Made me so mad.. now I have to exit it and start all over again after deleting all the saves.

Gomu Gomu

Dear god, so far (ch.6) this game is boring like hell. I had this game for over a year now. Never had the time to play it. However when all the hype for the Uncharted 2 began, I thought it's time to see why so many people consider this a great game. First of all I have to say, I have never seen such beautiful and detailed atmosphere in a video game like this before in my life. Character models (- the hair) is perfect. Other than that this game has nothing to offer. Al I've seen is shooting and jumping. And the shooting part is just awful.

Is the game going to continue like this (jumping and shooting) until the ending? Or are there other things that might make this game more interesting?

NeoGAFFer said:
Dear god, so far (ch.6) this game is boring like hell. I had this game for over a year now. Never had the time to play it. However when all the hype for the Uncharted 2 began, I thought it's time to see why so many people consider this a great game. First of all I have to say, I have never seen such beautiful and detailed atmosphere in a video game like this before in my life. Character models (- the hair) is perfect. Other than that this game has nothing to offer. Al I've seen is shooting and jumping. And the shooting part is just awful.

Is the game going to continue like this (jumping and shooting) until the ending? Or are there other things that might make this game more interesting?

I just hope you aren't making these statements while playing on Easy...

If not, the game might not be for you then. I thought the shooting was awesome, especially in the second half of the game. Really awesome.

And when I unlocked the harder difficulties, it blew my mind how challenging the AI was.

Jtrizzy

I just gameflyed this for the trophies and because of the hype for the sequel. I beat this 8-10 times when it first came out, never on crushing though. I had all of the medals except that one.

NeoGAFFer said:
Is the game going to continue like this (jumping and shooting) until the ending?

Of course not. The game becomes a kart racer halfway through, then a particularly fantastic JRPG for the final battle.

Some people didn't like the part where you plug in your guitar peripheral and melt the faces of screaming fans, but I enjoyed it.

ghibli99

Jack Scofield said:
Of course not. The game becomes a kart racer halfway through, then a particularly fantastic JRPG for the final battle.

Some people didn't like the part where you plug in your guitar peripheral and melt the faces of screaming fans, but I enjoyed it.
:lol

-viper- said:
Well I doubt it's more frustrating than playing R2 on difficult D:
Actually, I found Superhuman in R2 a lot easier than Crushing.

Well, except for the guitar solo part. Uncharted might've been worse than "Through the Fire and Flames" on that part. Hammer-on scales? Really, Naughty Dog?!

edgefusion

Liabe Brave said:
Well, except for the guitar solo part. Uncharted might've been worse than "Through the Fire and Flames" on that part. Hammer-on scales? Really, Naughty Dog?!

What the hell are you talking about? Guitar solo? Hammer-on scale?

KZObsessed

Jack Scofield said:

Liabe Brave said:
Actually, I found Superhuman in R2 a lot easier than Crushing.

:lol

Erdrick

I've been enticed into replaying Uncharted for the... 6th or 7th time? I forget exactly. Seeing all the new Uncharted 2 stuff at E3 and knowing that it's coming this fall really is getting me hyped for this game and it's characters again. I'm doing a trophy run on Crushing since it's actually a pretty forgiving game in regards to checkpoints, so while I certainly swear at some points, it's never a complete loss and eventually I get past the hurdle.

One thing, among many that strikes me still is the character animation and how well their lips sync to their voices. When I was first playing this in November of 07, I took a break to go to RE:UC and good God, Chris and company looked so robotic and drab in comparison.

Uncharted is a game that came out of nowhere for me and it still is pretty much my favorite PS3 game ever still, even above MGS4, and I LOVE the MG series and MGS4 specifically. (One year anniversary today of it going on sale, actually...)

The game is worth more than the sum of it's parts, so to speak. To describe it, it sounds so... generic, but one must experience the greatness of Nathan and Company to truly understand why the game just comes together so well. I'm not saying it's perfect, but for me to replay this game as much as I have is saying a lot, as I barely ever do that. It's the only Naughty Dog game I've ever owned and pretty much played (I played various demos of the Crash games circa PS1 and a demo of Jax 1 on the PS2 nearly 8 years ago or so but this is the only full game by NDI that I have.)

Needless to say, I'm hyped for the sequel. The trailer and the gameplay demo at E3 was really, really well done and if I was not sold on it before (I was) I certainly would have been after.

Best new IP of this generation for me, bar none.

Erdrick said:
I've been enticed into replaying Uncharted for the... 6th or 7th time? I forget exactly. Seeing all the new Uncharted 2 stuff at E3 and knowing that it's coming this fall really is getting me hyped for this game and it's characters again. I'm doing a trophy run on Crushing since it's actually a pretty forgiving game in regards to checkpoints, so while I certainly swear at some points, it's never a complete loss and eventually I get past the hurdle.

One thing, among many that strikes me still is the character animation and how well their lips sync to their voices. When I was first playing this in November of 07, I took a break to go to RE:UC and good God, Chris and company looked so robotic and drab in comparison.

Uncharted is a game that came out of nowhere for me and it still is pretty much my favorite PS3 game ever still, even above MGS4, and I LOVE the MG series and MGS4 specifically. (One year anniversary today of it going on sale, actually...)

The game is worth more than the sum of it's parts, so to speak. To describe it, it sounds so... generic, but one must experience the greatness of Nathan and Company to truly understand why the game just comes together so well. I'm not saying it's perfect, but for me to replay this game as much as I have is saying a lot, as I barely ever do that. It's the only Naughty Dog game I've ever owned and pretty much played (I played various demos of the Crash games circa PS1 and a demo of Jax 1 on the PS2 nearly 8 years ago or so but this is the only full game by NDI that I have.)

Needless to say, I'm hyped for the sequel. The trailer and the gameplay demo at E3 was really, really well done and if I was not sold on it before (I was) I certainly would have been after.

Best new IP of this generation for me, bar none.
I'd played it thrice through since I'd gotten it in Christmas 2007 to get all the medals. Then mid-2008 I did all that again to nab the Trophies. I just love this game all over, and I jumped into the U2 beta for a bit and had a blast. Can't wait for U2.

neoism

I beat it last weekend for the third time, playing the beta just gave me the urge. It was fucking spectacular as always. I can't fucking wait for UC2

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
IMO this is the most replayable game for me this gen, even if it's just a single player experience. It's just so damn good.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I actually replayed the game something like four times within two weeks of when I bought it (normal run, hard run, another hard run, this time collecting all the treasures I'd missed (my first one didn't register because I changed it from normal to hard during the initial boat segment), and then a crushing run through.

Then a week or so later the trophy patch was released and I cried.

sentry65

i LOVED how the last few chapters or so totally changed how you had to approach the shooting. That was a stroke of genius

also, unlike most games, I actually really liked the vehicle sections for some reason.

Overall the game was extremely well done. It does have a few quirks through that blemish it slightly, but still no big deal. Fun game. I'm halfway through crushing right now

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Finally gave this game a shot last Saturday. Sat down and played through the whole thing in one 8 hour sitting!

Loved the graphics and adventuring elements, but I was left a little cold by the shooting. I wasn't a big fan of the wonky headshot recognition, and the fact that at times it felt more like 70% shooting / 30% adventuring. I definitely wanted more of the latter, less of the former.

Looooooooved the settings up until the awful plot twist near the end, and the lab explorations. Really put a huge downward spin on the game for me until the end. The island, the ruins, the sanctuary, the church, the mausoleum, the underground crypts, the vaults. All awesome. The lab? BLARGH.

I'm curious to see where UC2 is going, but after the awful turn the first game took, I'm not so sure I'll like what I see.

Anyway, great game, and honestly the first ND game I can say I loved. I'll likely be playing it through again on a harder level in the future.

Edit -
Jetski + grenade launcher = >:D
Jetski + pistol + white water rapids = :[

Ashour

This is the only game this generation which I played from start to finish more than 4 times but sadly never finished it on crushing, I suck at shooters in general and making me play crushing almost drove me insane, at least I reached half of the game, I'm proud of my self :D .

Gomu Gomu said:

Just interested to know what you think of the gunplay in Mass Effect if you think this is terrible... It was far more generic and repetitive in that game (eventhough I enjoyed that game as a whole)

I definitely prefer the gunplay in this game to gears as well. Its smoother and faster, while that game has more impact

Not sure why many are so down on the shooting...or the games balance. I definitely want more adventuring, not just more platforming (too much of this would be tedious for me). Jak 2 had the right balance in my opinion. Anyway, U2 looks incredible

UraMallas

Having a problem.

Playing through for the third time, this time on Crushing, and I've beaten the sewers and came up and out to the firefight in the open courtyard with the turret at the far end. Well, I've now beaten this area twice and tried to go through the gate by tapping triangle but the gate immediately closes on me. It won't even let me get off the crank before it is closed again. As I recall from my other playthroughs, the gate should stay open long enough for me to get under it but it isn't this time. It's not that I'm not fast enough, it literally falls back down as soon as it gets to the top and before I'm off the crank. Is this glitching on me or am I forgetting something very simple that I don't recall from my other playthroughs?

nelsonroyale said:
Just interested to know what you think of the gunplay in Mass Effect if you think this is terrible... It was far more generic and repetitive in that game (eventhough I enjoyed that game as a whole)

I definitely prefer the gunplay in this game to gears as well. Its smoother and faster, while that game has more impact

Not sure why many are so down on the shooting...or the games balance. I definitely want more adventuring, not just more platforming (too much of this would be tedious for me). Jak 2 had the right balance in my opinion. Anyway, U2 looks incredible

-Shooting felt like it had less impact than it should have. At least when using heavier weapons.
-Hit animation was repetitive and the amount of shots you needed to kill a guy was the same.
-There are a few time were you encounter empty arenas where chest-high walls and weapons are conveniently placed for an oncoming battle. After the third time I just rolled my eyes and thought, here we go again. A bunch of guys will come from the front and try to get me. When these guys are dead, some other guys will come from the opposite direction and try to do the same.

Norml

UraMallas said:
Having a problem.

Playing through for the third time, this time on Crushing, and I've beaten the sewers and came up and out to the firefight in the open courtyard with the turret at the far end. Well, I've now beaten this area twice and tried to go through the gate by tapping triangle but the gate immediately closes on me. It won't even let me get off the crank before it is closed again. As I recall from my other playthroughs, the gate should stay open long enough for me to get under it but it isn't this time. It's not that I'm not fast enough, it literally falls back down as soon as it gets to the top and before I'm off the crank. Is this glitching on me or am I forgetting something very simple that I don't recall from my other playthroughs?

you need to tap triangle.

hmmm?

UraMallas

Okay, I'm almost positive my piece of shit game is glitched. What the hell am I supposed to do? It's glitched from my last checkpoint and won't allow me to advance, do I have to restart this entire fucking game? Can I mission select chapter 6 and start from there and it will still know that I've beaten the prior 5 missions? I definitely do NOT what to play through the sewers and the plane crash scene again all because of some bullshit glitch...

UraMallas

slaughterking said:
Does the door click into place before you try to go through it?
No. It refuses to click at all. It just goes to the top and then comes right back down whilst I'm still tapping triangle. I've tried to circle-button barrel roll under it and it is literally all the way down before the action will even start.

Here's the area I'm talking about:

2z6fkw2.jpg

2drw93k.jpg

You can see the crank in the second pic behind the explosive barrel on the far left of the screenshot.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
UraMallas said:
No. It refuses to click at all. It just goes to the top and then comes right back down. I've tried to circle-button barrel roll under it and it is literally all the way down before the action will even start.

Here's the area I'm talking about:
Stupid question, but did you try tapping the triangle for longer than usual, so that the door would eventually click? If that doesn't work, you can safely restart from that chapter, and complete the game. You'll get the trophies etc. like usual.

Mejilan said:
Looooooooved the settings up until the awful plot twist near the end, and the lab explorations. Really put a huge downward spin on the game for me until the end. The island, the ruins, the sanctuary, the church, the mausoleum, the underground crypts, the vaults. All awesome. The lab? BLARGH.

I'm curious to see where UC2 is going, but after the awful turn the first game took, I'm not so sure I'll like what I see.

Anyway, great game, and honestly the first ND game I can say I loved. I'll likely be playing it through again on a harder level in the future.
You have to admit that much of what you liked before that section, wouldn't make any sense if there wasn't that twist and that section near the end. So many memorable locations during the game were a setup for the reveal that happens at that moment. I also think it gave the game a needed change of pace, and even more importantly, established that in Uncharted world, somewhat supernatural (it's kind of a bioweapon after all, so not all that supernatural) can happen. It's part of what made Indy movies as memorable as they were - you knew that something very unexpected and unexplained could happen.

Hm, strange.
I know I have a savegame at 44% and I would look into that scene myself and see if there is a (very obvious) trick you're missing, but I don't know if that door is before or after the 44% mark.

UraMallas

Lord Error said:
Stupid question, but did you try tapping the triangle for longer than usual, so that the door would eventually click? If that doesn't work, you can safely restart from that chapter, and complete the game. You'll get the trophies etc. like usual.
I think I've tapped until it comes all the way back down but now you have me wondering...

Thank you for this info, though. Since there is nothing at all before this part I'll just chapter select to 6 and beat it from there. I know the saving system is wonky with trophies, do I save over my original game or can I make a new save file?

slaughterking said:
Hm, strange.
I know I have a savegame at 44% and I would look into that scene myself and see if there is a (very obvious) trick you're missing, but I don't know if that door is before or after the 44% mark.
Unfortunately, my game save is at 39% for this part so you can't help me. I wish you could, just to verify, one way or the other, if I'm just an idiot or the game is glitched.

Firewire said:
What do you have to do for a trophy run? Just start a new game on crushing or do I have to delete old saves or something?
To be safe, I would delete my old saves. I didn't delete my old saves and I had to go through the entire game again to re-collect all 60 hidden treasures because my gamesave screwed up and had me down at 59. So this will be the second glitch that has befallen my poor gamesaves.

Top Bottom