• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy |OT| Ladies Trip

Venuspower

I wanna know which idiot at ND thought this was a good place for a checkpoint

DIpjdWfVAAAUSZK.jpg:small

Yea... thought the same after I died the first time at that point.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The amount of shade thrown at Uncharted 4 in this - it's a game after my own heart.

It's done jovially but I can't think of many games that reference the flaws of their predecessors so clearly.

And overall this is much more of the spectacle and adventure I wanted from an current-gen Uncharted game.

So good.

I can't think of that many instances apart from 'let's avoid crates from now on' and the reference to Sam appearing out of nowhere in 4.

Alienous

I can't think of that many instances apart from 'let's avoid crates from now on' and the reference to Sam appearing out of nowhere in 4.

Dammit, I'm early into it and I was assuming they'd keep up the pace. Ah well, fun while it lasted. Was banking on a "Do you think we're doing enough climbing" reference next.

Crumpo

Dammit, I'm early into it and I was assuming they'd keep up the pace. Ah well, fun while it lasted. Was banking on a "Do you think we're doing enough climbing" reference next.

There is a good nod later with "less talking, more walking" that I enjoyed.

Just finished it and I really enjoyed it. Didn't outstay it's welcome, I actually enjoyed the open world section and the pacing and set pieces of the second half was really something. Like a greatest hits of UC2,3 & 4.

Can't praise enough Chloe and Nadine. Definitely could play another game with those two. Special props for not calling out the fact that the protags were women, very classy.

Stat!

Can't praise enough Chloe and Nadine. Definitely could play another game with those two. Special props for not calling out the fact that the protags were women, very classy.

I would gladly take another game with Chloe/Nadine and even
Sam interspersed through out. Loved his interactions with Nadine and some of his one liners too.

Im still reeling with how much fun I had on this game. Perhaps I should pick up the UC collection.

Really enjoying this so far and this just seems to get better as it goes. I'm taking my time and now just finished chapter 5. I really like how they kept more or less the same slower pace from Uncharted 4 and I'm pleased how well Chloe has been carrying the game and they have some great moments with Nadine. Also the visuals and some of the set pieces have been as good as I expected.

Can't praise enough Chloe and Nadine. Definitely could play another game with those two. Special props for not calling out the fact that the protags were women, very classy...

reached chapter 7, & i'm sorry, but if nate & sully had spent even half as much time talking about their moms as these 2 spend talking about their dads, i likely wouldn't've liked them as much, either :) ...

keep expecting old war stories / past experiences. keep getting touchy-feely 'dad' stuff. i mean, yeah, its kinda sad. but it's also kinda boring...

people need to spoiler tag
SAMMMMM
Definitely. I'd have been super sad had I known anything about that prior to release. They did a fantastic job of concealing that aspect of the game because I had zero clue.
reached chapter 7, & i'm sorry, but if nate & sully had spent even half as much time talking about their moms as these 2 spend talking about their dads, i likely wouldn't've liked them as much, either :) ...

keep expecting old war stories / past experiences. keep getting touchy-feely 'dad' stuff. i mean, yeah, its kinda sad. but it's also kinda boring...
Where Nate came from and his lineage was a massive part of 4 games. How TLL handles family is very much in line with the series.

Also, when you're getting to know someone it's a sort of natural starting point.

sjay1994

Definitely. I'd have been super sad had I known anything about that prior to release. They did a fantastic job of concealing that aspect of the game because I had zero clue.

Right?

I was assuming that
the expert Asav had was going to be Chloe's father,
but then it was revealed he was dead

I was checking my phone and then Nadine just says
Sam Drake?
And I jerked my head immediately

It was a good reveal.

Completely disagree. While Lara's hair is more advanced and demanding tech-wise, it also looks and moves very unrealistically. It is constantly moving and weirdly floaty as if Lara was under water.
Real hair is heavier, more rigid and it sticks together or to skin, especially if it is wet or sweaty. They did a great job with Chloe's hair in that regard.
Lara's hair is basically a windsock meant to show off graphic cards. Chloe's actually looks real.

Right?

I was assuming that
the expert Asav had was going to be Chloe's father,
but then it was revealed he was dead

I was checking my phone and then Nadine just says
Sam Drake?
And I jerked my head immediately

It was a good reveal.
The writing is really great because on a 2nd playthrough
they subtly mention the 'expert' several times but in a way that you wouldn't really pick up on it beforehand. It's very prevalent when you know which is cool.

Also, like you said
the way they reveal him isn't built up it just naturally happens and the player, like Nadine, just sort of stumbles in to seeing him

A+

tootie923

The writing is really great because on a 2nd playthrough
they subtly mention the 'expert' several times but in a way that you wouldn't really pick up on it beforehand. It's very prevalent when you know which is cool.

Also, like you said
the way they reveal him isn't built up it just naturally happens and the player, like Nadine, just sort of stumbles in to seeing him

A+

I noticed on my second playthrough in Ch. 4, Chloe's voice gets awkward when mentioning this
expert
while talking to Nadine. It's not something you would notice until you've finished the game and know all the facts. It's one of the conversations that happens while driving around the area.

Is that in Chapter 4?

At the south east fort?

Because I think that might be a glitch cause my checkpoint was just after I reopened it back up.
There are some wonky checkpoints in this game.

There's a big firefight at the beginning of chapter
. Both my friend and I played on Crushing and when I died I started at the beginning. When he died, he got to start
after the part where you have to shoot the guys by hanging off the ledge

I don't know what happened to make it different for us.

Hmm. They're also the coolest female protags we've seen in a long time. Coincidence? :thinking emoji:
There really does need to be fan art of these two...and Nadine...including one of Aloy's female friends...I guess Vanasha. While on the topic of Nadine and Chloe bonding. They both seem like two kids that didn't exactly have friends to talk to growing up so it would actually make sense that they'd eventually loosen up around each other.

Memento

Just finished Chapter 4.

Put me on #TeamILoveIt. Seriously, I think this could be the best chapter in the series. I had so much fun just exploring around looking for the coins and being amazed by the views, enjoying the banter, stealthing the shit out of every enemy encounter and solving the puzzles (oh my God the puzzles are amazing!).

I will keep on going now!

Crumpo

So everyone said that Chloe was too Nate-like before LL, all about the job, no alliegances. If she just talked about her old jobs it would just reinforce that and make her one-dimensional. I liked that the writing brought out other qualities in her. It was also about inexorably following the ties of your parents, in some cases even when you don't want to, so without getting too Spoilery I liked that too.

Putty

Finished it and loved the life out of it! Fabulous in all aspects! Sensational stuff...

Had a near 14 hr playtime so that £25 feels even more of a bargain...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
people need to spoiler tag
SAMMMMM
There was no need. The moment I mentioned happened in ch4, before Sam appears in the game. They were just talking about the Drake brothers in general.

The amount of shade thrown at Uncharted 4 in this - it's a game after my own heart.

It's done jovially but I can't think of many games that reference the flaws of their predecessors so clearly.

And overall this is much more of the spectacle and adventure I wanted from an current-gen Uncharted game.

So good.

Ooh I thought you'd finished already judging from that post. Anyway, TLL throws enough shade at U4 by just being better in every conceivable way :p

Rien

Jelly Belly
Want to buy a game today and i have 40 bucks to spend. So i am thinking about either U:LL or Hellblade.
I love the Uncharted series but didnt enjoy 4 as much as previous games. But i love exploring, puzzles and great graphics. I also love games with great stories and immersive storytelling and i hear great things about Hellblade.
Which game do you recommend?

Hwoar

Want to buy a game today and i have 40 bucks to spend. So i am thinking about either U:LL or Hellblade.
I love the Uncharted series but didnt enjoy 4 as much as previous games. But i love exploring, puzzles and great graphics. I also love games with great stories and immersive storytelling and i hear great things about Hellblade.
Which game do you recommend?

You need to play Uncharted now first then.

There was no need. The moment I mentioned happened in ch4, before Sam appears in the game. They were just talking about the Drake brothers in general.

It was a post by Stats! which he edited an hour and a half after I commented. But generally I find a lot of people have been quite inconsiderate with their spoiler tags ITT. I think that was the 4th or 5th post. For me, I've already finished the game so it doesn't affect me but I'd be very incensed if I was spoilered on

A) Train
B) Sam

Rien

Jelly Belly
Np, I also appreciate Hellblade, but Uncharted is in another league and by what you wrote it means that you should be playing Ull right now instead of being on here ;)

Lol. First have to buy it and i got shit to do ;) later i will play it and leave some impressionist here. Thanx again

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It was a post by Stats! which he edited an hour and a half after I commented. But generally I find a lot of people have been quite inconsiderate with their spoiler tags ITT. I think that was the 4th or 5th post. For me, I've already finished the game so it doesn't affect me but I'd be very incensed if I was spoilered on

A) Train
B) Sam

Oh sorry
I figured it was mine because I was the only one to mention Sam in a while and I hoped people wouldn't think I was talking about his actual appearance ingame :p

On TLL vs Hellblade: the latter is a completely different type of experience. It's hard-hitting and intense but as a game I was much more impressed by what TLL managed to do. I wasn't a fan of Hellblade at all, unlike many others.

Rien

Jelly Belly
I will say I'm definitely in the minority on that one. Most people in the OT love it, but tbh the hard truth for me was that I couldn't wait to be done with it.

I know that feeling. I had that with DOOM. Still have to finish it.

Hellblade doesn't do it for me either. Maybe the concepts make sense intellectually on paper but in execution they are way too gamey and not in a good way since the concepts are so simple and repetitious. Really great art direction though and there are certainly some cool ideas in there. I haven't finished it yet though so maybe I'm missing something more, but I've played for a few hours and it's mostly a drag.

Finally managed to find a copy yesterday. The opening segment was just insane, so well made. But here's my problem with the game, how am i supposed to approach the western ghats bit? Am I supposed to go stealth? If I go stealth i just don't find the design of the world/ enemy AI to help me support with stealth approach. There's a silencer pistol that I stumbled upon a truck after taking out the entire first wave in the early part of western ghats and this silenced pistol only has 4 bullets. Is that it? I am finding the gunplay, the way it makes the player to approach with combat encounters to be very dissatisfying and disappointing. And what happened to enemy player marking stuff that I felt wasn't implemented correctly in UC4 from it's weird choice of control layout perspective.

Why am I not able to get Chloe to use binoculars to scan the the vast area to scout enemy patrol? How am I supposed to know who spotted me? The sound cues aren't helping me.I got bored to death dying in crushing not able to figure out what the hell am I supposed to do. I feel ND's open area approach is making me lose focus and thus I am not enjoying the game from a combat/action perspective. Also the lack of brisk running is just making it painful to traverse when I am not on the jeep. Pacing felt good at start but it's starting to get slow and dull. I am still in early bits of Western Ghats, driving around collecting coins.

Dundar

I got bored to death dying in crushing not able to figure out what the hell am I supposed to do.

The thing is, you're not supposed to play on Crushing on the first run. It's meant to be played when you know how and when to move in every single arena, where the enemies are and how many of them are there, and so on. Can't even mark enemies in Crushing. Even hard difficulty is worse than moderate, since it basically makes the game more of a cover shooter then a run-and-gun one (and that's where Uncharted shines).

Guys, don't ruin first runs in Uncharted games for yourself. Moderate is the way to go.

rhino4evr

So I thought I was at the end game, but I guess I was wrong. This is easily one of the best uncharted games in the series. They could have easily just called this Uncharted 5. The story and voice acting is some of the best in the series.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Finally managed to find a copy yesterday. The opening segment was just insane, so well made. But here's my problem with the game, how am i supposed to approach the western ghats bit? Am I supposed to go stealth? If I go stealth i just don't find the design of the world/ enemy AI to help me support with stealth approach. There's a silencer pistol that I stumbled upon a truck after taking out the entire first wave in the early part of western ghats and this silenced pistol only has 4 bullets. Is that it? I am finding the gunplay, the way it makes the player to approach with combat encounters to be very dissatisfying and disappointing. And what happened to enemy player marking stuff that I felt wasn't implemented correctly in UC4 from it's weird choice of control layout perspective.

Why am I not able to get Chloe to use binoculars to scan the the vast area to scout enemy patrol? How am I supposed to know who spotted me? The sound cues aren't helping me.I got bored to death dying in crushing not able to figure out what the hell am I supposed to do. I feel ND's open area approach is making me lose focus and thus I am not enjoying the game from a combat/action perspective. Also the lack of brisk running is just making it painful to traverse when I am not on the jeep. Pacing felt good at start but it's starting to get slow and dull. I am still in early bits of Western Ghats, driving around collecting coins.

One of the major issues with Uncharted stealth is that it adopts late 90's bullshit rules. Enemies that are not designed to follow internal logic(one guard sees you, even if during a mid stealth kill animation, and the entire squadron will magically know your exact location sans communication). Environment will hinder your ability to see enemies, but they can magically pick you out in some real questionable ways, leading to many "WTF how did I get spotted??" fuckery moments.

On crushing, I've found far greater success in purposefully starting a firefight and luring enemies to specific safety choke points for easier clears given the tedium and extreme punishment that proper stealth requires. This isn't a strong stealth experience, so don't treat it like a failure demands a quickload. Do your best to clear what you are able through stealth(stealth pistol helps), but don't fret when it falls apart.

Oh and some of the checkpointing is absolute dogshit. Nothing worse than spending 20+ minutes doing a mix of stealth and action to nearly clear an area, thiiiiinking you hit a checkpoint before wave 2 suddenly spawns on top of you and insta-death. Reload at the start. Chapter 6 left me apoplectic and screaming the worst insults at ND due to this fuckery. (Though Uncharted 4's pirate graveyard checkpoint still wins the worst checkpoint fight on Crushing)

One of the major issues with Uncharted stealth is that it adopts late 90's bullshit rules. Enemies that are not designed to follow internal logic(one guard sees you, even if during a mid stealth kill animation, and the entire squadron will magically know your exact location sans communication). Environment will hinder your ability to see enemies, but they can magically pick you out in some real questionable ways, leading to many "WTF how did I get spotted??" fuckery moments.

On crushing, I've found far greater success in purposefully starting a firefight and luring enemies to specific safety choke points for easier clears given the tedium and extreme punishment that proper stealth requires. This isn't a strong stealth experience, so don't treat it like a failure demands a quickload. Do your best to clear what you are able through stealth(stealth pistol helps), but don't fret when it falls apart.

Oh and some of the checkpointing is absolute dogshit. Nothing worse than spending 20+ minutes doing a mix of stealth and action to nearly clear an area, thiiiiinking you hit a checkpoint before wave 2 suddenly spawns on top of you and insta-death. Reload at the start. Chapter 6 left me apoplectic and screaming the worst insults at ND due to this fuckery. (Though Uncharted 4's pirate graveyard checkpoint still wins the worst checkpoint fight on Crushing)

I also ran into an issue twice in two different enemy patrol sections where i progressed started a fire fight and then i died, but when it restarted from last checkpoint, the enemies were freaking gone man, like no one was there, there were 5-6 enemies alive when i was killed. But now they are all gone, i just see weapons on the ground. This happened twice. Weird!

Top Bottom