• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under 100k copies of Street Fighter V were shipped (incl dig) from April to September

Sucks because it's a fantastic game, but Capcom really fucked up the launch. Good lord. But then I'm also thinking now, would a stable launch with all the required content have faired much better. Worried that this speaks to the drop in demand for fighting games outside of Smash and Mortal Kombat.

Either way, still my GOTY.

Ferrio

Banned
all I know the peeps happy about this better have bought GG and KOF.

Ya, that's the kicker. There's tons of a good fighting games out there not selling much, but no one will call them out for it.

The genre is niche, the problem is people see the exceptions to the rule (MKX, SFII, SFIV, Smash) and think it's the norm.

Shadoken

Whats with all the FGC bashing in this thread?

Its not the FGC fault that Capcom released a barebones game. Its not like players said "I WILL NOT Buy this game if it has an arcade mode in it".

Btw its hilarious how for almost every other game. GAF keeps bashing publishers and devs for "Appealing to the casuals" , yet when Capcom tries to do it with SF suddenly its "Thats what you get for appealing to hardcore fanbase".

Releasing a broken game is releasing a broken game. The game had plenty of issues at launch for both hardcore players and casuals.

Kashiwaba

I think going F2P would quite easily get many more people to look into it, which in turn will mean there will be more people to spend money on characters/costumes/levels. How is that a bad thing and how would it ruin the online community?
F2p model means a free version with only one or two characters available meaning armies of people using that one or two characters online instead of using diverse characters.

Platy

You're the one who's glad SFV failed!

Actualy I am just the one saying it out loud, but most people in this thread is "of course it failed". I am just saying "yeah it failed thanks to shit decissions" and hoping for better decisions in the future that will lead to other fighting franchises... but then everyone came fighting me for wanting more diverse fighting games in the future so fuck this shit I will dance the death of capcom fighting games if that is what you guys want.

If you are going to focus on the FGC than you need a smaller game ... make a budget Darkstalkers. A game where this SFV sales are above expectations.
Or you can focus on the casual audience and make a Power Stone or a Pocket Fighter ... market Pocket fighter as Capcom's Smash Bros and you are gold

Now people who are also happy that it failed and want Capcom to learn a lesson :

Don't worry everyone, SFV isn't really a bomb because the fgc is still playing it.

Game sold what it deserved to sell after its all said and done.

Kinda deserved, hopefully they will have a more complete version releasing at some point.

Perhaps they should of finished it before they put it out.

b-but muh evo numbers

game is trash and deserves it

I'm happy with this, totally deserved for a poor game, a poor release and for trying to laugh on your customers.

It is literally the only game I've ever sold/traded because I was let down by it.

As much as I like Street Fighter V, they deserve it. They botched the release of the game horribly and their nickel and diming is absolutely out of control. Hopefully they reevaluate how they themselves totally messed up the release and monetization strategy of the game rather than take this as a sign that people aren't interested in SF.

Proof that we are more than happy to move on, no matter how sacred the franchise is. Proof that developers need to deliver day 1, and not day 101.

I'm straddling a line between "happy that Capcom will learn a lesson about launching a game with so little value" and "sad that my favorite fighting game might wither and die".

You can't half ass games of beloved franchises.

This is why you shouldn't design and ship a game intended for the EVO crowd first and hope more casual fans come later.

Appropriate sales for the overall quality of the game. I'd defend the game as it's a title that I want to say is largely geared towards me (I still haven't touched the story mode, I literally only grind it out online).

But even ignoring all it's shortcomings that have no effect on me because I don't care about them, it fails as a title that cannot even serve the online only warrior play style I have effectively.

Long loading times, I have to set the connection strength to 5 only to not get matches filled with horrendous lag (and still, it might start skipping around at 5 which is the worst shit ever) and it's just filled with a ton of small issues that make it so annoying to play in a lobby with friends or even just online (15 second wait time between match replays, why?)

The game needs a MASSIVE quality of life update to make it decent for what I assume is even their core before the start fixing the other stuff.

Edit: It's essentially my favorite playing fighting game, when your actually in a match, playing it, against an opponent with a good connection. Everything else...

The correct conclusion would be to refrain from releasing incomplete games in the future.

I really have no sympathy for SFV/Capcom after that awful release and the shameless milking they are doing now with overpriced stages and costumes.

Aside from all it's technical problems at release and zero content, it's also a snoozefest of a game

It is so satisfying that this game did so poorly. Capcom really needs to stop the nickel and diming, and stop with FGC pandering. They've gotten away with it for far too long.

meerak

There's still a lot of work to be done to make SFV shine like we want it to. I hope for the best, as this is the game that brought me back into the fold. It's the best feeling and animating fighting game I've ever played, and nearly every round finish frozen frame is beautiful. I think it's a staggering work actually.

I know I have been spending money on costumes and stages and assume the other dedicated users have too. 1.4 million may not be ideal, but the user base at least feels very active, and if they are spending, that could be significant.

Honestly, all I care about is that I still get matches super fast, the connection quality is good, and the fighting quality is good. So long as that continues, the sell-through couldn't matter less. I don't need SF to MK popular. If a slow burn brings success, great.

The game coming to arcades in Japan somehow feels like the real birth of SFV. As if Capcom has been pregnant with SFV for, uh, 9 months? 10 months? and will be giving birth soon.

Also, as someone who actually hugely enjoys the core gameplay, the story mode was such a waste of resources. I'd much rather they spend those resources fixing the stuff around the core gameplay rather then a story mode that clearly didn't do jack shit for sales (and why would it, so late after the games release)?

If your going to go all in on the FGC and the competitive scene, go all in.

The Ryu DLC for Smash must've out sold Street Fighter right?

I'm surprise at how low the sales are, but I never saw SF as a huge selling franchise. Didn't 4 and it's multiple variations only sell about 6 mil total?

KingBroly

Banned
Its funny that people defend the low sales because its a "service" when Capcom flopped so hard in that aspect with this game at launch and also because games like MKX and Smash 4 are more likely getting a ton more money from DLC costumes, characters and stages than SFV will ever see unless they revamp the whole thing to go full F2P or with random Loot Boxes/Crates.

I've been arguing for years that the reason MK9 onward did so well for Netherrealm is that they basically copied the Smash formula. They made MK9 a celebration of the series, putting in tons of content and that appealed to people.

Only MK and smash outside SFV KoFXIV, gg and bb didn't even sell 10% of what SFV sold.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Mortal Kombat is the big casual fighter, and Smash is a mascot focused party game. Outside of those two, all the other games in the genre focus on competitive 1v1 and mechanical depth and they are niche as a result.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
F2p model means a free version with only one or two characters available meaning armies of people using that one or two characters online instead of using diverse characters.

Rotate the available free to play characters like KI does.

Plus it's not like it's not an army of Ken and Ryus anyway.

rac

Banned
The problem isn't the DLC or monetization. The problem is the game as it is is a terrible value. Most successful multiplayer games provide a large, meaty single-player experience. They need those to be successful. Evolve and Titanfall suffered from its lack of this component. The reason that games like CS:GO, Overwatch, and MOBAs buck the trend is because they provide a wealth of unlockable content while playing, including seasonal expansionary content.

Street Fighter is now just a 1v1 miniscule sandbox. Old hat. Boring. They need to wrap a complete game around the VS mode.

Or because they're fun to play.

Edit: You get everything when you buy any of these games. All the heroes, all the weapons, all the maps. All up front, I have no idea why you think unlocking virtual sounds is the important part.

KAL2006

Banned
Oh well this is probably my favourite game of the generation and I've liked the updates Capcom have released since its initial release. In comparison to Street Fighter IV this games is miles better I hated the Gameplay in SFIV. Hopefully Capcom continue to support it despite the sales. Perhaps a Super version for new buyers while current owners get Super as a update. Then perhaps later down the line make it F2P.

BadWolf

Make Ryu the free character and nothing will change.

Even if he isn't the free character people will buy just him and call it a day.

Not like it will be that much a change though, it's pretty normal to fight the dude over and over when playing online in SFV. The last time I played the game I'd often run into 4-5 Ryus in a row.

Oh i agree that the full price at release was a joke. They should have went with the Killer Instinct model of free to play.

Okay, yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. If this game had to come out in February, it should've either been a budget release or full-on F2P. Pricing it at $60 was a mistake.

Reset

I thought Evo was going to save it. :[

The game will continue to sell poorly as long as Ken's face isn't fixed. That is the true problem with the game.

Shadoken

The Ryu DLC for Smash must've out sold Street Fighter right?

I'm surprise at how low the sales are, but I never saw SF as a huge selling franchise. Didn't 4 and it's multiple variations only sell about 6 mil total?

It sold 8m total. And no Super alone did 5m , since everything after it was available via DLC.

cordy

Banned
Tried to tell all those SFV defenders. No matter how many times they said "the updates will fix it" "we don't need a Super" "wait until EVO hits" "wait until they add all the other stuff you'll see" I tried to tell em. Ended up like I expected. Let this be a lesson next time. It needs 10 Senzu Beans, Drake's ghostwriters and Tsunade's winning lotto tickets to stand a chance.

Shit, I've been playing these games since 2T and this is my least played SF ever. Why? Just didn't keep me interested in the long run. MKX on the other hand man I played that far more than this game.

Roxkis_ii

I'm a casual fighting game enthusiast and i've been playing SFV since March.

I'm not bothered by how much SFV sold as long as support for the game continues.
The game wasn't complete when it first came out, but was very playable and fun online.
I could understand why someone wouldn't send $60 on it tho.

Since then, the game has came a long way from where it started and i wouldn't mind recommending it to any street fighter fan.

I enjoy the fighting in SFV a lot and can see myself playing for a long time.

My 2 cent.

inner-G

Banned
No story mode and no support for PS3 fighting sticks made me decide to not get it at launch.

I'm sure it's gotten better, but who wants to get into a fighting game late?

BadWolf

Full price was definitely a mistake at launch with the content it was releasing with.

Sure story mode and some extra stuff came free later but it's too late to make a big mark at that point.

Zafir

I take it you haven't actually played a free to play game before?

Killer Instinct was F2P fighter and had no such issues.

MOBAs you see a slight increase of presence on the F2P characters, but if people like a character enough they'll buy it with the in-game currency or money and then play it.

It's the whole point of having rotating free characters. You push people into trying new heroes, and it will make them more likely to spend money on buying them if they've actually tried and liked them.

novabolt

was it really just the incomplete package that killed this product? or did exclusivity do that too?

Both, PC wasnt the best companion for this game in its release state. Sure the XB1 version would have been lower than the PS4 version, but I think it would have been well higher than the PC one.

MKX and Smash Bros. kicked its' ass

The lesson is: Don't release incomplete games for $60

While Guilty Gear Xrd, KOF 14, BlazBlue, Blade Arcus, Dengeki Bunko, Nitro Plus Blasters, and the dozen or so indie early access fighting games have done basically jack shit in comparison....

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with doubling down on the FGC is that Capcom wanted to have their cake and eat it too. For the most part, they've been able to get away with the idea that this is a game that appeals to the FGC, so it has been successful on that front.

The problem is Capcom set their sales expectations waaaaayy too high in spite of their pricing/monetization/release strategy being alienating to anyone other than the most hardcore. They marketed and positioned it as an AAA game.

Arc System Works, for example, is able to keep trucking along because they know full well that they have a niche and they're able to scale their expectations, budget, etc. appropriately so that they can still come out successful.

Capcom made a niche game and expected that the whole world would come after it.

I guess Capcom thought that simplifying the game would be enough to get the casual crowd. The fact of the matter is that a sizable portion of their audience is going to jump online, get bopped once, and never want to mess with it again. They're not interested in learning the intricacies of the game, no matter how easy it is.

That's where the single-player content comes in. Except that it wasn't there for SFV, so then the game becomes a coaster to those folks.

Does anyone's know how did KOF XIV do? That's how you release a full-featured game.

If JPN sales are anything to go by, it did ~KOF XIII numbers the first week and then dropped off a cliff.

Vena

Just out of curiosity: how've other fighting games sold this gen?

Well far as I could find numbers for MKX (>5million), the current sales for the major titles look like this:
c98ygOZ.png
Everything not on this list has failed to even sniff a million...

(Edit: Added Pokken.)

Ya, that's the kicker. There's tons of a good fighting games out there not selling much, but no one will call them out for it.

The genre is niche, the problem is people see the exceptions to the rule (MKX, SFII, SFIV, Smash) and think it's the norm.

I made fun of this earlier in the thread and you guys are still going to do it?

Look, fighting games are niche but Street Fighter isn't. There's a reason this was an exclusive to PS4 and Sony help fund the production. I think most people would say there's a distinction between SF's status and KOF's current.

Well, the weird early access launch and console exclusivity did not help it. That being said it has some rely solid nechanics and its a joy to look at. I hope they can salvage this with a complete edition with better marketing.

BadWolf

Does anyone's know how did KOF XIV do? That's how you release a full-featured game.

Sold about as much as XIII did on PS3 in Japan, so in that region at least it's consistent.

No word on other regions.

SNK did say that the reception from reviewers and fans has been overwhelmingly positive, a lot more than they expected.

Let's ask ourselves a couple of questions.

1. What happened to the car combat genre?
2. Which was the last Twisted Metal?
3. Did it have a robust single-player campaign or not?
4. Which was the last great Twisted Metal?
5. Did it have a robust single-player campaign or not?

Let's ask ourselves these questions...

1. What happened to Soul Cailbur?
2. Which was the last mainline Soul Calibur?
3. Did it have a robust single-player campaign or not?
4. Which was the last great mainline Soul Calibur game?
5. Did it have a robust single-player campaign or not?

I think the answers to these questions are clear. When a series abandons a robust single-player campaign, it loses its audience to the point that the series dies. Street Fighter may be dead.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I remember when people here were saying that Evo would save this game. That's just crazy.

A game should not be designed for esports or a small community as this was clearly rushed to do. That's going to kill you. The core game and marketing campaign has to be compelling enough to make it a sales win AND offer the depth and complexity for more serious gamers to explore and build a competitive scene around.

MKX provided a master class in this. The core game is super fun and the story mode is great which reels in the average player. The mechanics are super solid (especially after the latest patch) which has created a passionate and robust NA/Euro competitive scene. NRS/WB have pumped hundreds of thousands into the scene to help it flourish. Hopefully Injustice 2 will have a similar reception.

khaaan

Now people who are also happy that it failed and want Capcom to learn a lesson :

I have not claimed either of those things.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not happy that it's struggling but I'm definitely not upset about it either. Your general point still stands though because some of the people you quoted do explicitly state their stance.

Top Bottom