• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under 100k copies of Street Fighter V were shipped (incl dig) from April to September

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If that is what they take from it .. cest la vie.

More space for a new Darkstalkers, Pocket Fighter or Power Stone

its cute that you think their biggest franchise bombing like this would open the door to their niche games.

wait, did I say cute? I mean baffling

This is what happens when you put the tournament enthusiasts first and foremost while rushing it out the door so it can be featured in that year's EVO. As if there wasn't going to be another EVO next year. Geez.

Shadoken

I feel like this is the kinda shit people think SFV's failure is going to lead to. But guess what , GG,KOF,DS...or any of the other niche fighters arent going to magically sell more because of this. If anything they will sell even less because of this. The MK crowd is really the type to play more Japanese 2D Fighters.

Varth

If it wasn't for the FGC these genres would be completely dead. The group sticks with the genre even past the fad phases, don't blame them for the game.

I dont blame them. I blame Capcom for thinking the game could thrive with their support only, cheaping out on everything else mid and low tier players could be interested in.

Ok, I also blame a good part of the FGC for the arrogance and contempt they looked at peasants not *immediately* interested in high level competition. They were clearly part of the problem since they were the first to excuse Capcom for the lack of content. "If Im not interested in it then it's not a problem If it's missing" Is simply poor, childish, elitist reasoning.

This game should really come to Xbox One.

I'm not port begging as i have the game on PS4 but it would be great for everyone to play the game and Capcom to make more money out of it.

The way it is, i have a feeling this is the last Street Fighter game unless Sony or Microsoft fund SF6 fully.

MagnesD3

This is unfortunate since this is probably my fav game that's came out this year. Who knows how long I've played this game..

I think fighting games can survive targeting a narrow audience as long as they understand where to spend their budget and how to set up an ongoing revenue stream that doesn't piss off their fans. DOTA and the like are popular as shit, and they certainly aren't easy-to-learn, welcoming types of games. Fighting games can be the same, and if that means relying more heavily on the F2P model, then so be it. Games for dedicated niche audiences can exist and they don't need to tack on simplified bullshit to pander to people who are only half-interested in the first place.

DOTA is a team game, though. People that learn to play MOBAs learn in environments where they will probably be able to accomplish something over the course of the game given how lengthy they are and how many people of varying skill levels are involved. A loss is not nonstop ass kicking.

In a 1v1 fighting game, a loss is nothing but a quick nonstop ass kicking. That's inherently something that new players will hate unless there's a nonhostile environment to learn to play, like wacky noncompetetive modes like campaigns.

Darkstalkers is the FF7 remake of fighting games

lmfao

Platy

Fine ... let the capcom fighting games die then =P

edit :
but if you want to dance on this game's grave can you just do it in one of the multitude of threads on gaf that have something to actually do with this subject; it's poor form to do it in a thread that is obviously going to be full of fans of the series and it isn't going to lead to much constructive discussion.

This is the thread about this game's grave. I am here to dance.

I tryed to be optimistic about other fighting games but people complained so I am going to do the macarena now =P

Street Fighter as a series has a long history of character designs similar to the ones in V, and that never stopped it from being one the most successful franchises of all time. The character designs in V have nothing to do with it's success or failure. If something about the game offended you then you have a right to feel that way or express your feelings and/or criticisms about it, and there is no shortage of threads on gaf that talk about that.. but if you want to dance on this game's grave can you just do it in one of the multitude of threads on gaf that have something to actually do with this subject; it's poor form to do it in a thread that is obviously going to be full of fans of the series and it isn't going to lead to much constructive discussion.

gelf

I'm straddling a line between "happy that Capcom will learn a lesson about launching a game with so little value" and "sad that my favorite fighting game might wither and die".

Just give me an Arcade mode, Capcom. That will make everything right for me.
That's where I am as well. It's sad that a series I've loved is struggling but at the same time Capcom are not a charity and I could not support the game in its current state as I wouldn't get full value from it.

I'll be there if we get Arcade mode in future though.

Nzyme32

The problem from my view is that they did nothing to get me interested after the absolutely disastrous release. I just assoicaite SFV with shit, even if that isn't the case. I've had no reason to look it up again, to see big improvements etc.

I think for me the only option at this point is that a future fully fledged SF game does better in terms of content, features and gameplay

cackhyena

This is pretty normal for a new entry. You invest a lot of time in the previous, new one comes out and you have to relearn it all over again. That's hard to commit to due to all the time required and the previous one still fresh in everyone's minds. Not to mention the new entry is usually way less fleshed out than the previous. It's one of the issues with the genre, and why the big gap between the release really helped SF4.

I'm sure that's true, but I was obsessed with the beta. I took to the new stuff pretty quickly. Part of it is netcode. It's just been shit in a lot of ways. Another part has been lack of enough interest in characters available. I don't gel with most of them. Ibuki isn't the Ibuki I dug in 4. Guile either. Rog still has it and Ryu is always my main man. Nash has been the only other constant for me.

Ferrio

Banned
I dont blame them. I blame Capcom for thinking the game could thrive with their support only, cheaping out on everything else mid and low tier players could be interested in.

But they *have* survived on their support only, that's the point I'm making. They could of gambled and made the game huge and hope the casual crowd bought into it (which based on the latest SFIV entries would be doubtful) or they could cater the crowd that'd buy the game no matter what.

People saying Darkstalker is big never played the game at the time, it was always a very underground game outside Japan, even Vampire Savior.

Ivan 3414

It is so satisfying that this game did so poorly. Capcom really needs to stop the nickel and diming, and stop with FGC pandering. They've gotten away with it for far too long.

The reality is that developers can only work on one game at a time, so yes, any game created is at the expense of an infinite number of games that weren't.

What? They have multiple teams.... the team that made Marvel vs Capcom 3 was totally separate from the SF4 team.

It's not like the Phoenix Wright guys take a break to work on the next Resident Evil....

... jesus christ on a cracker....

cackhyena

They really should go free to play. If you're gonna fuck people with shit prices for extra content, at least make the base free and see if it digs you out of the whole you dug.

Menitta

edit :

I tryed to be optimistic about other fighting games but people complained so I am going to do the macarena now =P

You're the one who's glad SFV failed!

Skilletor

edit :

It is so satisfying that this game did so poorly. Capcom really needs to stop the nickel and diming, and stop with FGC pandering. They've gotten away with it for far too long.

Coming to Japanese arcades, S2 confirmed.

FGC gonna be okay. Hold dat.

This game should really come to Xbox One.

I'm not port begging as i have the game on PS4 but it would be great for everyone to play the game and Capcom to make more money out of it.

The way it is, i have a feeling this is the last Street Fighter game unless Sony or Microsoft fund SF6 fully.

Being on more platforms wouldn't have saved this game. It wouldn't have changed that the game just wasn't a good value for its price at launch.

ITT:
People saying learning fighting games is hard.

People asking for a new Darkstalkers.

Have any of you that are clamoring for a new Darkstalkers actually played Vampire Savior? It's easily one of the most technical and difficult to play (competitively) games Capcom has ever made. There's a good reason why its been an underground favorite of the FGC, and it's because of how crazy technical it is.

joebruin

how much did it make in microtransactions

fighting games learning curve is huge unfortunately. the beatdown you get isn't the same as other games people play online...mostly because of the team aspect of most of those games.

Lothars

edit :

Well it's nice to know the trolls are out in force.

mollipen

Stop pandering to the crowd that will actually be there to support your product unlike the utterly fickle casuals. Okay.

Varth

But they *have* survived on their support only, that's the point I'm making. They could of gambled and made the game huge and hope the casual crowd bought into it (which based on the latest SFIV entries would be doubtful) or they could cater the crowd that'd buy the game no matter what.

Sure, but If you count on them only player count Is going to bleed out eventually. You need to take action to get some new players in to balance it out, and that's not something that would come at the expense of anything mp related.

I got interested in FGs for design, lore and such. Then I started getting interested in competition, and eventually got out of it due to not enough time. Still interested, but not playing online anymore. And I dont think Im a special case.

Yea, it's weird how people are disregarding the FGC. The FGC is going to carry the game and fighting game aren't dead lol.

Yes, always a good thing. Stop pandering to the folks that are going to be buying content for your game 4 to 6 years down the line.

Stop pandering to the crowd that will actually be there to support your product unlike the utterly fickle casuals. Okay.

eh, MK skews a bit more casual and they always hit big up front

SF tends to have a longer tail so I think they'll be fine but this ain't great

pants

They should just copy the rival schools/project justice story mode wholesale for the next SF game, and include a tag mode.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The only lesson they'll learn is to never make a Street Fighter again

The lesson they should learn is to keep budgets down and focus more directly on game as service approach for the more hardcore fighting titles. A game like this should have followed the Killer Instinct approach. F2P to get people to try, reasonably priced characters and season passes, focus still on local and online MP.

They could have loaded it with single player features day one, and it would have sold better, but its not going to sell like MKX, Injustice, Smash etc. as it just doesn't have the mainstream appeal.

The skill floor and ceiling is too high, the characters, lore and art design (Anime-ish stuff that isn't popular in the west) don't have the appeal of things like MKX (gore, fantasty/sci fi), Injustice (popular super heros/villains) or Smash (Nintendo and other game character nostalgia).

There's nothing wrong with a game appealing only to the FGC or whatever. They just can't have the budget, SP features and marketing of a game like MKX with mass casual/mainstream appeal.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Why do you think this ?

Darkstalkers is the FF7 remake of fighting games and both Pocket Fighter and Power Stone are simplified fighters with casual appeal and we all know how Smash sold MUCH better than Street Fighter. If Capcom can marketing them right and focus on the right groups, they can have solid profits with those

3.png

fernoca

Awful launch, with awful implementation of fixes and modes. I can't imagine the project lead of this game being super popular right now at Capcom.

For me, personally, they really had a chance to get me back with the FM dailies. Instead, it's more like a set of 3 weekly quests, most of which are insulting to the player. Stuff that boils down to watching a cutscene in a character story mode for 5000 money, but then you get a piddly 100 money for doing what most people would expect from daily challenges, like using Vtrigger a certain amount of times in matches.

That could have revitalized the game by giving casual and bad players a reason to play online and still get something out of it, increasing the overall playerbase, and having positive domino effects. But NOPE!

Now you just do your weekly 5000 FM quest, fuck the other 2, then shut it off for the week.

Don't get me started on color unlocks and survival mode.

These are the kinds of decisions that Capcom makes that just blow my mind. This game deserves to fail based on this type of decision making alone.
This is my main thing with the way you earn Fight Money.

Some are quick to point out that you can buy stuff by playing. Which in theory is true, but for example...

A character costs 100,000, stages and costumes costs 40,000.

Weekly challenges which are recent, on average allow you to earn aroun 6,000. So a month of challenges is around 24,000.

You can earn 5,000 from each Survival difficulty, with each round varying from doing nothing to going berserk. And its also all or nothing and once. First difficulty, 10 rounds is no biggie.. But then 30...then up to 100..And if you lose or get a server disconnect at some point, sorry no FM despite the 99 other fights you won.

Then the measly amount of 50 points for winning online. To afford a character, you have to win 2,000 matches.

I've played hundreds of hours of Smash and MKX and have nowhere lose to 2,000 wins. XD

Luckily I focused on spending FM on whatever the season pass lacked, so bought stages with it and some stuff for Rashid.

There's a disparity on the ways to earn FM that for average players like me, that despite playing this series for over 20 years just play casually and for fun. At least the game is great, just sucks that the only way I could get the extra costumes I'm missing is by spending momey on them.

mollipen

eh, MK skews a bit more casual and they always hit big up front

SF tends to have a longer tail so I think they'll be fine but this ain't great

I absolutely commend what NR has done with MK, and I'm not saying SF should be a FGC-only series. But if the choice is to make their core audience happy first or try to make casual fans happy first who may or may not even care, I can't blame them if they pick the first option.

This is my main thing with the way you earn Fight Money.

Some are quick to point out that you can buy stuff by playing. Which in theory is true, but for example...

A character costs 100,000, stages and costumes costs 40,000.

Weekly challenges which are recent, on average allow you to earn aroun 6,000. So a month of challemges is aeound 24,000.

You can earn 5,000 from each Survival difficulty, with each round varying from doing nothing to going berserk. And its also all or nothing and once. First difficulty, 10 rounds is no biggie.. But then. 30...then up to 100..And if you lose or get a server disconnect at some point, sorry no FM despite the 99 other fights you won.

Then the measly amount of 50 points for winning. To afford a character, you have to win 2,000 matches.

I've played hundreds of hours of Smash and MKX and have nowhere lose to 2,000 wins.

Luckily I foucused on spending FM on whatever the season pass lacked, so bought stages with it and some stuff for Rashid.

There's a disparity on the ways to earn FM that for average players like me, that despite playing this series for over 20.years just play casually and for fun. At least the game is great, just sucks that the only way I could get the extra costumes I'm missing is by spending momey on them.

You can earn a hefty chunk by doing the Character Stories, the Main Story, and by just watching the tutorial things for each Character, etc.

I absolutely commend what NR has done with MK, and I'm not saying SF should be a FGC-only series. But if the choice is to make their core audience happy first or try to make casual fans happy first who may or may not even care, I can't blame them if they pick the first option.

I mean they totally lost the plot when there wasn't an arcade version out at all

Kashiwaba

I still think it should just go f2p. They've got the model there already.
F2p model now will never save the game i think what they need is a rerelease with lower price tag and all contents + arcade mode making the game f2p now will do nothing but ruin it and the ruin the only good thing going for it now which of the online community.

Scotia

Banned

Yes, because the casuals would absolutely have kept playing the game past a month, even with all the features in the game day one.

/s

rhandino

Banned
Its funny that people defend the low sales because its a "service" when Capcom flopped so hard in that aspect with this game at launch and also because games like MKX and Smash 4 are more likely getting a ton more money from DLC costumes, characters and stages than SFV will ever see unless they revamp the whole thing to go full F2P or with random Loot Boxes/Crates.

Zafir

F2p model now will never save the game i think what they need is a rerelease with lower price tag and all contents + arcade mode making the game f2p now will do nothing but ruin it and the ruin the only good thing going for it now which of the online community.
I think going F2P would quite easily get many more people to look into it, which in turn will mean there will be more people to spend money on characters/costumes/levels. How is that a bad thing and how would it ruin the online community?

The problem with doubling down on the FGC is that Capcom wanted to have their cake and eat it too. For the most part, they've been able to get away with the idea that this is a game that appeals to the FGC, so it has been successful on that front.

The problem is Capcom set their sales expectations waaaaayy too high in spite of their pricing/monetization/release strategy being alienating to anyone other than the most hardcore. They marketed and positioned it as an AAA game.

Arc System Works, for example, is able to keep trucking along because they know full well that they have a niche and they're able to scale their expectations, budget, etc. appropriately so that they can still come out successful.

Capcom made a niche game and expected that the whole world would come after it. The plan for this game was muddled from the get-go with no clear vision of who the target audience was.

They should have either given the game more time in the oven if they wanted to take the AAA angle, or be more realistic with their expectations and marketing if they absolutely had to have it out by this february.

Top Bottom