• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under 100k copies of Street Fighter V were shipped (incl dig) from April to September

To be honest i think the open beta that felt like a year was a big mistake financially for them.

Everybody blames the lack of content but the game feeling like it was out already for like a year before release wasnt helping.

Ferrio

Banned
What I am suggesting is keep the existing VS Mode, but also add an actual game around it. Something that pushes the brand to the non-e-sport crowd. Something I can enjoy with my 6 year old son, playing a co-op campaign beating up "bad guys".

But that's not a fighting game anymore, that's a whole new genre.

If you're going to make a stealth hate thread at least post the whole story here.... Capcom's net sales are actually up over their last report thanks to the usual Monster Hunter sales.

It's not like SFV is sinking the company and they can definitely afford to continue to support it.

Why would op do that? This thread is about SFVs sales numbers. It's not about capcoms financial situation. Monster Hunter sales have nothing to do with SFV.

kcxiv

S
Im a big SF guy and even I found myself really turned off by it. So you can imagine how the average potential customer looks at it.
Im a big SF guy as well, even at the 60 dollar launch price tag i put in enough hours that i got my value from it a while back. Im not a person who gives a fuck about single player content in a fighting game. I just care about a training mode and online. The only time i even touched the player content was so i can unlock a few characters, once i did that i haven't touched it again. I never even played through the storyline. I dont even have it downloaded.

For me these kinds of games are meant to be played against another player and thats it. ITs like when i play a sports game, i hate playing against the AI because to me its boring as shit. i need the human element in order to enjoy the game. If i want a single player game. ill fire up a tomb raider or uncharted game.

Pejo

Gold Member
Awful launch, with awful implementation of fixes and modes. I can't imagine the project lead of this game being super popular right now at Capcom.

For me, personally, they really had a chance to get me back with the FM dailies. Instead, it's more like a set of 3 weekly quests, most of which are insulting to the player. Stuff that boils down to watching a cutscene in a character story mode for 5000 money, but then you get a piddly 100 money for doing what most people would expect from daily challenges, like using Vtrigger a certain amount of times in matches.

That could have revitalized the game by giving casual and bad players a reason to play online and still get something out of it, increasing the overall playerbase, and having positive domino effects. But NOPE!

Now you just do your weekly 5000 FM quest, fuck the other 2, then shut it off for the week.

Don't get me started on color unlocks and survival mode.

These are the kinds of decisions that Capcom makes that just blow my mind. This game deserves to fail based on this type of decision making alone.

Appropriate sales for the overall quality of the game. I'd defend the game as it's a title that I want to say is largely geared towards me (I still haven't touched the story mode, I literally only grind it out online).

But even ignoring all it's shortcomings that have no effect on me because I don't care about them, it fails as a title that cannot even serve the online only warrior play style I have effectively.

Long loading times, I have to set the connection strength to 5 only to not get matches filled with horrendous lag (and still, it might start skipping around at 5 which is the worst shit ever) and it's just filled with a ton of small issues that make it so annoying to play in a lobby with friends or even just online (15 second wait time between match replays, why?)

The game needs a MASSIVE quality of life update to make it decent for what I assume is even their core before the start fixing the other stuff.

Edit: It's essentially my favorite playing fighting game, when your actually in a match, playing it, against an opponent with a good connection. Everything else...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I am just happy that a game full of objectification failed, specially in a series that have lots of great games that didn't needed this kind of appeal

You're happy a game didn't sell well?

Have you even played Street Fighter V? All you ever seem to do is come into these threads and keep posting the same thing over and over again.

Considering how popular the last Street Fighter was it blows my mind Capcom would half-ass this release..

Ultra wasn't really that popular... it only sold 1 million copies. Actually each update of SF4 sold roughly half as much as the previous version.

Vanilla SF4 sold well because of a 10 year series drought.

Street Fighter is looked at fondly as a legendary series.... but it hasn't been a huge industry leading seller since the SF2 days.

MrCarter

No, the new narrative now is that SF is a niche Japanese property like Nitro Blasters or Under Night in Birth so there's nothing wrong with SFV. It was always going to sell poorly.

Or let's just go with your nasty narrative of drive by shitposting on a game that you have no interest in. SF as a brand in the fighting game genre is still more popular than MK due to the fact when people buy those games they stick with it and the player base doesn't dwindle down to nothing. Yes, MK is good at attracting the kiddies (casuals) with blood, gore and aliens but after that honeymoon period is over. They stop playing. Capcom have stated, time and time again, that this will be a service type game and will be supported in years to come and so will a healthy player base.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM SAYING

That the objetification of the game is completly useless and should not have existed because it did not helped the sales

I give up =P

It might have sold even less without the objectification. You have no basis on which to argue about this because it's impossible to isolate the impact of individual factors on the game's sales. We only have two pieces of information relevant to your claim; how much it sold and that it contains objectifying costumes. There isn't enough information to determine how one variable affected the other. We'd need alternate reality comparison conditions in which the same game did and did not have sexy costumes.

Cropduster89

Neo Member
Does anyone else remember that World Tour mode from SF Alpha 3?

That was awesome, single player content in a fighting game done right. Much more fun for someone still learning the game to play than arcade mode. Something like that would add a tonne of value for the average gamer. They should really check their own back catalogue.

The problem is, if you made a Streets of Rage game using the fighting engine, add Co-Op, but retain the vs. mode.......the vs. mode would be the least popular mode in the game.

Platy

You're happy a game didn't sell well?

Have you even played Street Fighter V? All you ever seem to do is come into these threads and keep posting the same thing over and over again.

Yes, I bought the game (steam version) and played and I am happy that a game that does not care about the casual audience and have way more objectification than any other game in the franchise to get some pervert sales have been sold poorly.
So as I made the mistake to vote with my wallet and I am happy that other people didn't

I hope capcom learns their lesson and tried to fix these mistakes in the future.

recently grabbed SFV for $16 in preparation for the F2P shift and inevitable bones thrown to the people who bought it prior, but at this point that's so few people that I'd be surprised if they even bothered. The amount of people that would be pissed is so minor.

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM SAYING

That the objetification of the game is completly useless and should not have existed because it did not helped the sales

I give up =P

what if it was added because the designers wanted it in the game, considering it's one of the very few costumes you can get it for free :O

It is sad and kinda understandable. SFV doesn't look like a good product; it barely interested me despite how heavily invested I was in the FGC. I was hoping for Capcom to turn things around with RE7, SFV, DMC4SE and the direction they were heading (addressing their shitty practices in their post-2011 games).

I hope that they can address these issues in an overhauled version of the game; something like SSFV.

Why would op do that? This thread is about SFVs sales numbers. It's not about capcoms financial situation. Monster Hunter sales have nothing to do with SFV.

Well obviously if your goal is to just bash on the game you're not going to post the whole picture.

Because hey... people want to feel good that "they told us the game is bad" back in February and now they're justified by sales numbers.

Job well done... Capcom sure got your message clearly. Just like those 2.5 million sales of Operation Raccoon City leading to the release of Umbrella Corps.... vote with your wallet guys! LMAO

Honestly any fighting game that hopes to survive in the current industry needs to take a long hard look at how NetherRealm is handling their properties. It's not just MK, Injustice was a huge success for them as well.

If you are going to put out a fighter you can't half ass it. You need a good chunk of modes and you have to take single player content seriously. The amount of people that sit down and play fighters competitively is a very small market and is not enough to sustain current development costs.

It's either that or the exact opposite and go F2P model like KI.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
As someone who played sf4 multiplayer religiously since its release on pc, I was totally turned off by this game due to its obscure and lame characters. It felt like they added all the characters that were rejected from sf4. Yes there is a loud minority who screamed for Karin and urien but most people have invested in their mains from sf4 and previous games, to cut out all these previous characters is just ugh.

The V system is also meh without much depth.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The problem is, if you made a Streets of Rage game using the fighting engine, add Co-Op, but retain the vs. mode.......the vs. mode would be the least popular mode in the game.

yeah, because beat-em-ups are so popular these days.

if you don't like fighting games that's fine, but they need to exist because having deep, demanding, competitive games available to those who want them is a good thing. publishers just have to budget and set sales expectations accordingly.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This is almost a tautology at this point. You could argue this about every game.

Nah. For example, I'm pretty sure No Man's Sky sold much more than it deserved to.

As for SFV, good luck to Ono ever getting Capcom to green light a fighter for the next decade. =/

Ferrio

Banned
It is sad and kinda understandable. SFV doesn't look like a good product; it barely interested me despite how heavily invested I was in the FGC.

Heavily invested in the FGC but it doesn't interest you? I'd say you're investment is a lot lower than you think it is otherwise. As a fighting game and competitive game it's great, so if you really were invested on that side I don't see why you'd ignore it.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Count me in with the folks that think that Capcom should go back on their word and release a Super version. Yet another PR shitstorm would result, but it's probably the best move to make at this point. The current release is toxic and I see no reason to continue pouring resources into it.

Honestly any fighting game that hopes to survive in the current industry needs to take a long hard look at how NetherRealm is handling their properties. It's not just MK, Injustice was a huge success for them as well.

If you are going to put out a fighter you can't half ass it. You need a good chunk of modes and you have to take single player content seriously. The amount of people that sit down and play fighters competitively is a very small market and is not enough to sustain current development costs.

It's either that or the exact opposite and go F2P model like KI.

Standard racing games are dying. The only ones that do well have robust singleplayer like Forza and Gran Turismo (whenever it appears). Driveclub sold like dog shit.

yeah, because beat-em-ups are so popular these days.

if you don't like fighting games that's fine, but they need to exist because having deep, demanding, competitive games available to those who want them is a good thing. publishers just have to budget and set sales expectations accordingly.

I have not made a single argument to get rid of the vs mode. The 1v1. It is a dying genre and needs to evolve in order to survive. In order to retain the mode, they need to build more gameplay around it. More modes that appeal to more than the competitive set. That's the only way fighting games will survive.

I honestly think 100k for a fighting game in 2016 is an awesome number, I remember Xrd sold like 60k and they get 100k after the Steam release. Games like Melty Blood or UNIB would kill for 100k.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Count me in with the folks that think that Capcom should go back on their word and release a Super version. Yet another PR shitstorm would result, but it's probably be the best move to make at this point. The current release is toxic and I see no reason to continue pouring resources into it.

They can easily release a Super version without going back on the spirit of their word. I don't think anyone disagrees that it would be smart for them to release a new retail package that includes all the content released so far. As long as the balance update aspects of the Super package are free to everyone, it's not an issue.

Yes, I bought the game (steam version) and played and I am happy that a game that does not care about the casual audience and have way more objectification than any other game in the franchise to get some pervert sales have been sold poorly.
So as I made the mistake to vote with my wallet and I am happy that other people didn't

I hope capcom learns their lesson and tried to fix these mistakes in the future.

The only lesson they'll learn is to never make a Street Fighter again

I'll never touch another SF game until I see confirmed decent single player features. I didn't even think waiting to see if an arcade or vs. Cpu mode was included was something we needed to do but boy did Capcom prove me wrong.

If you don't like the way certain characters are portrayed in the game that's totally fine.

But I can all but guarantee you Capcom executive's aren't looking at sales numbers and thinking "Damnit if it wasn't for Laura and Mika!"

vg260

What I am suggesting is keep the existing VS Mode, but also add an actual game around it. Something that pushes the brand to the non-e-sport crowd. Something I can enjoy with my 6 year old son, playing a co-op campaign beating up "bad guys".

The versus mode IS the actual game. It always should be the focus. MKX and Injustice had bonus modes, but never lost sight of what the actual game was.

I am talking that stuff that is in the game like the Mika and Laura stuff and the possibility of sexy dlc didn't help the sales like the "sex sells" people say it.

THIS is not a dlc, this is a selling point :
kZJ0SBL.png

Also capcom already told that the costume that sells the most is alpha Ken

God damn you do this in every thread

Unknown?

Kinda deserved, hopefully they will have a more complete version releasing at some point.
It's already complete after patches. There is no justification for not buying it due to lack of content anymore and it has always been a great fighter.

Top Bottom