• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under 100k copies of Street Fighter V were shipped (incl dig) from April to September

Kouriozan

They really should make a Super version now, even if they stated otherwise before its release, it's like the last chance for the franchise to stay relevant.
I mean to get sequels.

And no, the "dead or alive"zation of dlc skins and designs didn't help because once again we are proving that sex does not sell

This has almost nothing to due with the state of the games sales.

It bombed because it launched for $60 and wasn't even remotely a finished product

If you're going to make a stealth hate thread at least post the whole story here.... Capcom's net sales are actually up over their last report thanks to the usual Monster Hunter sales.

It's not like SFV is sinking the company and they can definitely afford to continue to support it.

Nibel

0cf6aconusoy.gif

farisr

I was honestly expecting it to shift up to 1.5 by now at least, even if rounding up.

A reprint/relaunch/bundling is definitely needed and should be done once they have arcade mode up and running.

And yes an arcade mode is absolutely necessary, not only for the decent amount of people who are actually into that and will buy the game if its included. But also to prevent the influx of some driveby posters/trolls who don't even care about the game/series at all from making "LOL No arcade again" comments that they would have loaded and ready to go if that happened

.Anema

I'm happy with this, totally deserved for a poor game, a poor release and for trying to laugh on your customers.

BlizzKrut

Banned
If you're going to make a stealth hate thread at least post the whole story here.... Capcom's net sales are actually up over their last report thanks to the usual Monster Hunter sales.

It's not like SFV is sinking the company and they can definitely afford to continue to support it.

It's more funny to post stealth SFV hate threads here and post gifs about it.

khaaan

It is literally the only game I've ever sold/traded because I was let down by it.

I'm sure it's a very sound fighter from a technical perspective but it was no fun to play as a casual player, or even a casual player who would have liked to get a bit more serious about it. I wish the game all the best but I can't see it having success with a wider audience given what they've packaged even considering the updates.

Not surprising when there is no real reason to buy it unless you are a member of the SF-playing FGC.

Is the game actually fun for someone just getting into fighting games? Is there a good variety of simple characters for people to pick between? Does it use the nostalgia most gamers over a certain age have for SF2 well?

It's better than SFxT at least.

It is a shame, because overall the post-release content has been satisfactory. But it's obvious when you compare the game to something like Overwatch, or even MK10, that SFV was made on a budget and was not allowed to gestate properly.

Street Fighter needs to evolve into a Tobol-like game with a large single-player campaign with side-scrolling beat-em-up gameplay (while retaining 1v1 mode as a VS mode). The era of 1v1 fighting games is becoming more and more like the racing genre.

Platy

The sexy costumes are not supposed to sell the game, they're supposed to sell the DLC

It's not as easy as saying "sex sells" or "sex doesn't sell"

Pretty sure a sexy DLC bikini sells better than a jeans and shirt costume

Really out of place comment, besides, this isn't talking about DLC, it's game units.

This has almost nothing to due with the state of the games sales.

It bombed because it launched for $60 and wasn't even remotely a finished product

I am talking that stuff that is in the game like the Mika and Laura stuff and the possibility of sexy dlc didn't help the sales like the "sex sells" people say it.

THIS is not a dlc, this is a selling point :
kZJ0SBL.png

Also capcom already told that the costume that sells the most is alpha Ken

As much as I like Street Fighter V, they deserve it. They botched the release of the game horribly and their nickel and diming is absolutely out of control. Hopefully they reevaluate how they themselves totally messed up the release and monetization strategy of the game rather than take this as a sign that people aren't interested in SF.

Lothars

Not surprising when there is no real reason to buy it unless you are a member of the SF-playing FGC.

Is the game actually fun for someone just getting into fighting games? Is there a good variety of simple characters for people to pick between? Does it use the nostalgia most gamers over a certain age have for SF2 well?

Yes to both of those, for your first question I don't know.

MrCarter

That's to be expected and a damn shame. The core gameplay is fantastic and after the initial launch Capcom have done a lot to improve the game but they still couldn't turn around the awful launch. Sure enough it's still the most played fighter in the FGC and will survive in the long run but it does need some incentives for these "casuals". Season 2 should be good.

and the possibility of sexy dlc didn't help the sales like the "sex sells" people say it.

I'm not sure many people actually say that. Adding random sexy stuff to media doesn't sell. That doesn't mean "sex sells" is a false statement.

Anyway, I doubt the inclusion of that Laura costume had any effect one way or the other, so it's not really relevant to the discussion

The game bombed because it was an early access title sold as a full one, not because of the inclusion or the lack of some costumes

That is pretty bad even Evo could not help sell the game in greater numbers.
They should have really really waited with this game for it to be ready.

Seik

Banned
Bought it with E3 30% off at launch.

Played quite a bit online, then some characters came out as free.

Then they became $$$ and I dropped it never to come back, still have enough FM on the side to buy two though, but I always feared a more 'right in the feels' character would come out and I wouldn't have any FM left. :(

Menitta

The fighting game itself, when the light turns green, is a very good game. All the characters are very different and easy enough to pick up. Execution barrier is much lower than SF4's.

As for just getting into fighters, I'd say yes, but Street Fighter should at least be aesthetically appealing first.

Scotia

Banned
That is really not good. I honestly don't know what Capcom can do to fix things with the casuals at this point.

Tansut

This is such a bummer. The core game is genuinely pretty friggin' excellent. Like some of the best the series has ever had. But everything surrounding it has been such a mess, it's not hard to see why it flopped the way it did.

Really hoping Capcom learns the right lessons from this.

LTWheels

Need to relaunch as free to play aka KI or DOA5

Rotating character.

SFV is already set up to be sold on a modular basis

BlizzKrut

Banned
I am talking that stuff that is in the game like the Mika and Laura stuff and the possibility of sexy dlc didn't help the sales like the "sex sells" people say it.

kZJ0SBL.png

Yeah, and what does that have to do with the game units? You're talking about "sexy dlc" and people here are talking about the sales of the game.

As much as I like Street Fighter V, they deserve it. They botched the release of the game horribly and their nickel and diming is absolutely out of control. Hopefully they reevaluate how they messed up the release and monetization strategy of the game rather than take this as a sign that people aren't interested in SF.

The problem isn't the DLC or monetization. The problem is the game as it is is a terrible value. Most successful multiplayer games provide a large, meaty single-player experience. They need those to be successful. Evolve and Titanfall suffered from its lack of this component. The reason that games like CS:GO, Overwatch, and MOBAs buck the trend is because they provide a wealth of unlockable content while playing, including seasonal expansionary content.

Street Fighter is now just a 1v1 miniscule sandbox. Old hat. Boring. They need to wrap a complete game around the VS mode.

random25

It really needs a Super version with the arcade mode and all the other supposed to be basic SP stuff they didn't put in the game asap.

That just might fix the early bad impressions about the game.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
No it didn't, it's a crying shame the game is selling this poorly. it's an fantastic game.

Core gameplay is good. The tragic saga of this game from launch was not. They fucked up almost every aspect of the game and it cost them.

Massive entry number at Evo did nothing for the game. Evo on ESPN 2 did nothing. Esports did nothing for this game.

Platy

I'm not sure many people actually say that. Adding random sexy stuff to media doesn't sell. That doesn't mean "sex sells" is a false statement.

If it is not adding random sexy stuff that makes "sex sells" be true than it is making something totaly related to sex to make it sell like hotcakes ... like Bayonetta and DoAXBV who sold MILLIONS of copies ?

Yeah, and what does that have to do with the game units? You're talking about "sexy dlc" and people here are talking about the sales of the game.

I am not talking just about dlc ... i am talking about the entire objetification of the game which includes for example Laura costumes and dlcs that was nowhere that insane in other titles that was probably made to make the game sell more because "sex sells" or something and how that didn't help a single bit on the selling of the game

kZJ0SBL.png

Again though, what does this have to do with the games sales? The amount of people that bought it for sexy Laura / didn't buy it because of sexy Laura is all but negligible

vg260

There's nothing inflammatory in the OP.

Many were legitimacy curious about what Capcom would be reporting.

Where the thread goes from there is up to the posters.

Sucks. From what I've heard, the game actually got good after the updates.

Negativity derived from lack of content at launch is no longer true, got a nice story mode, dailies, missions, vs the cpu mode, Capcom added a lot content, but while the lack of content didn't bother me, my negative review comes from the awful netcode..

Top Bottom