• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under 100k copies of Street Fighter V were shipped (incl dig) from April to September

LaserHawk

I'm straddling a line between "happy that Capcom will learn a lesson about launching a game with so little value" and "sad that my favorite fighting game might wither and die".

Just give me an Arcade mode, Capcom. That will make everything right for me.

Z3M0G

A season pass every year is pretty off-putting.

What's wrong with that for a game like this?

There are some games I wish had Year 2, Year 3, etc season passes...

Games that deserve it though. 99% of season passes should not be touched.

I'd be happy with a Black Ops 3 year 2, Driveclub Year 2, etc...

A fighting game feels like a perfect fit. No need to buy the Super / Turbo / etc versions later.

Guys, Capcom wouldn't do a Super version. That'd require them to go back on their word.

When have Capcom ever gone back on their word?

residentevil4_ps2box_usa_org_000.jpg

Menitta

Still possible, but for now SF5 and USF4 are gonna keep being played for years to come, esp. with SF5 coming to arcades in Japan soon.

I forgot about that. Arcade versions will definitely help Japanese sales and adding an arcade mode to the full game might help everywhere else. Not sure if it'll make that much of a difference though.

Shadoken

oti

Banned
That is really not good. I honestly don't know what Capcom can do to fix things with the casuals at this point.

Release a renamed version with all the DLC. Get the game on shelves again (not in the bargain bin). Get some positive vibe going on for the Street Fighter name.

If it is not adding random sexy stuff that makes "sex sells" be true than it is making something totaly related to sex to make it sell like hotcakes ... like Bayonetta and DoAXBV who sold MILLIONS of copies ?

what are you talking about? I'm pretty sure stuff like DOAX and Senran Kagura are profitable and that's ONLY because of the sexy stuff. They're mediocre games underneath.

That's how I understand "sex sells".

because "sex sells" or something and how that didn't help a single bit on the selling of the game

You have no idea how much that costume helped or hurt the sales. It's absolutely irrelevant to the discussion unless you can isolate the impact of it.

SF5 was released as a bad game, that's why it didn't sell. There are plenty games with sexy costumes that sold well.

Anne

A lot of people are calling out "the Evo crowd" that said it would pick it up. Tbh most of the hardcore FGC are very aware of how shit the game is and its sales situation. Just trying to ride it out because the investments were made for this game years ago.

BadWolf

What's wrong with that for a game like this?

There are some games I wish had Year 2, Year 3, etc season passes...

Games that deserve it though. 99% of season passes should not be touched.

I'd be happy with a Black Ops 3 year 2, Driveclub Year 2, etc...

A fighting game feels like a perfect fit. No need to buy the Super / Turbo / etc versions later.

Sure beats buying a whole new version every time ala Guilty Gear and Blazblue.

With SFV the balance updates are free and it also lets you earn DLC characters via in game currency.

Kashiwaba

Capcom needs a rerelease for this game for $40 with all the contents when arcade mode is out it might sell few more copies or maybe call it season 2 or super so it gets re reviewed and the sheep gamers who worship games reviews pick it up since I'm more than sure the game in its current condition with arcade mode will be received will scores wise.

vg260

Street Fighter needs to evolve into a Tobol-like game with a large single-player campaign with side-scrolling beat-em-up gameplay (while retaining 1v1 mode as a VS mode). The era of 1v1 fighting games is becoming more and more like the racing genre.

I can't agree with this at all. It just needed to be handled well, not be something else.

LQX

Considering how popular the last Street Fighter was it blows my mind Capcom would half-ass this release. The fact Sony even had to pay them to make it says a lot as they seemingly did not earmark any of the profits from the last game to put into this game.

GeeTeeCee

We should all relive this great thread where people talk about Street Fighter as if it's more popular than Mortal Kombat (which moved over 5 million copies): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1177532

See, that's the thing I've always wondered about: how each fighting game franchise can appeal to so-called "casuals," who are clearly desperately needed for a fighting game to thrive.

Mortal Kombat has guest characters, a reputation for ultra-violence and a robust story mode.

Injustice has DC characters and a decent story.

Smash has Nintendo characters and an a approachable gameplay style.

Marvel vs Capcom has the Marvel franchise, and some Capcom characters I'm sure a few people might actually care about, probably.

What does Street Fighter have? It just feels like the franchise exists only for the benefit of the FGC, and no-one else. It needs a hook.

We should all relive this great thread where people talk about Street Fighter as if it's more popular than Mortal Kombat (which moved over 5 million copies): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1177532

Ah I remember that. Good times.

See the MK franchise has actually been managed properly in the past few installments. They've targeted the broadest demo possible by offering deep single player experiences as well as competitive. If you are even remotely interested in fighting games there is something in MK9 or MKX for you.

Street Fighter was like the polar opposite. It was asking $60 for basically only a hardcore competitive online fighter which at launch had almost nothing else to offer. That's a fairly tiny demographic

Platy

Again though, what does this have to do with the games sales? The amount of people that bought it for sexy Laura / didn't buy it because of sexy Laura is all but negligible

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM SAYING

That the objetification of the game is completly useless and should not have existed because it did not helped the sales

I give up =P

That the objetification of the game is completly useless and should not have existed because it did not helped the sales

Except you have no way to prove that. Maybe it would have only sold 50k without Laura.

It makes no sense to try and spin the data as if it proves your point.

Nestunt

I am completely against the standard decision of going free to play (you devalue your product). But this game is a clear case for it.

And I have been playing it in tournaments throughout the year.

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM SAYING

I give up =P

But maybe the designers wanted it to exist and considering it had a marginal effect on sales at best what does it matter?

Just seems like a totally random aspect to bring up in a sales thread

The problem isn't the DLC or monetization. The problem is the game as it is is a terrible value. Most successful multiplayer games provide a large, meaty single-player experience. They need those to be successful. Evolve and Titanfall suffered from its lack of this component. The reason that games like CS:GO, Overwatch, and MOBAs buck the trend is because they provide a wealth of unlockable content while playing, including seasonal expansionary content.

Street Fighter is now just a 1v1 miniscule sandbox. Old hat. Boring. They need to wrap a complete game around the VS mode.

Sure. The monetization is heavily tied in with the game being a bad value in my book, though! It released with very little content then they had the gaul to charge for characters, stages, charge WAY too much for individual costumes, lock simple colours behind an absolutely terrible survival mode (and charge for them later), etc. If everything from these character/stage updates were free (actually free, not "it's possible to get using Fight Money" ""free"" which is unrealistic for the vast majority of players), and costumes were priced like SFIV costumes, this would be a different story.

On top of all that, yeah, even what non versus content that was there (like character story and survival mode) was terrible, as I mentioned before. The game is just a terrible value all-round, and them charging for almost everything post-release just makes that more obvious and off-putting.

Im a big SF guy and even I found myself really turned off by it. So you can imagine how the average potential customer looks at it.

How much revenue did it generate from dlc sales? That's probably what's Capcom is monitoring more. Copies sold is probably just thier KPI at this point.

That number is even more crazy considering that it includes the Amazon price error on 4/2 where they were selling it for $10.32.

I guess there's no way to tell how many people took advantage of that, but it had to be quite a few, I would think. Maybe 1000?

Endo Punk

Still the best fighting game I played this gen but Capcom did fuck up. It's weird they seem to have greatly underestimated the mass popularity of Sf and released it for the FGC. I will never be good enough for fgc but to play locally with friends/family is a blast. Release a version with all the updates included thus far next Feb and Season 2 fighters please. Love the game and want to see it succeed especially with all the content they have added to support the fanbase

kcxiv

This has almost nothing to due with the state of the games sales.

It bombed because it launched for $60 and wasn't even remotely a finished product
This, the actual game is fun, i still play it quite often, but it was not a game that should have been released for 60 bucks, 30 at the most. Now? its probalby a 60 dollar game, but it took way long for it to happen.

Hell, i have it on the ps4 and on steam. Ill buy dlc content when it drops in price, im not in any hurry. I unlocked the characters i like and im good.

Menitta

That number is even more crazy considering that it includes the Amazon price error on 4/2 where they were selling it for $10.32.

I guess there's no way to tell how many people took advantage of that, but it had to be quite a few, I would think. Maybe 1000?

Those are numbers I'd like to see actually. I'd love to see the amount of people who bought Forza Horizon 3 when it was $20. We'll never get these numbers, but I bet it'd be interesting.

Eolz

Hope they'll try to relaunch it properly for year 2, they fixed most of the stuff already. Still terrible DLC prices sadly. Worse than the previous game or competitors.

And no, the "dead or alive"zation of dlc skins and designs didn't help because once again we are proving that sex does not sell

That statement is hilarious on so many levels.

Vice

I prefer a game that sells little but has a robust competitive scene than a game that sells a lot and is dead in half a dozen months.

MKX still has a pretty good competitive scene and probably will until Injustice 2 releases. Both online and off.

leroidys

That's too bad, it's a great game that was too barebones at launch. In retrospect, they should have pushed USFIV for another year and released SFV in 2017.

I can't agree with this at all. It just needed to be handled well, not be something else.

What I am suggesting is keep the existing VS Mode, but also add an actual game around it. Something that pushes the brand to the non-e-sport crowd. Something I can enjoy with my 6 year old son, playing a co-op campaign beating up "bad guys".

Gren

Yup that's pretty damn sad, but at same time deserved, considering how Capcom handled so many things. It'll probably go F2P anyway now.

All I can hope for is that, much like SF as a series post-HF/pre-IV, it can maintain its relatively small, dedicated playerbase. Not just so there's people to play against, but so they'll continue to provide new characters/gameplay features.

Top Bottom