• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under 100k copies of Street Fighter V were shipped (incl dig) from April to September

Kashiwaba

Count me in with the folks that think that Capcom should go back on their word and release a Super version. Yet another PR shitstorm would result, but it's probably the best move to make at this point. The current release is toxic and I see no reason to continue pouring resources into it.

People were pissed with super sf4 because it rendered the old version useless and separated the online community for SFV they can just do it with a rerelease of the game with more modes new characters stages..etc and offer this stuff as dlc for the people who bought it early since system balancing is being done for free in SFV.

The versus mode IS the actual game. It always should be the focus. MKX and Injustice had bonus modes, but never lost sight of what the actual game was.

So was Soul Calibur and yet I spent 99% of my time away from the VS. mode. I like fighting game engines, but loathe competitive 1v1. The game will have to appeal to someone like me if they want to sell well.

Lothars

If that is what they take from it .. awesome.

More space for a new Darkstalkers, Pocket Fighter or Power Stone
WTF, posts like this make me shake my head. It's fine to want a new darkstalkers or other game but not at the expense of something else.

I don't understand why some people are semi celebrating game performing way below expectations,games performance suggests that Capcom will continue to partner with 1st parties for most of their future projects and if RE7 bombs they will be in a horrible position.
Other than the remasters and smaller scaler projects it seems like most of their titles will came with caveats like a year long exclusivity period,partnering with Nintendo to avoid spending money on MH's promotion and localization,perhaps even another SF5 like game.

Has any other publisher ever been in a position where they are semi-autonomous in video games history?It seems like their internal console projects will need to go thru desks at Sony,MS and Nintendo as much as their own to get greenlighted from now on.

Varth

I hope when in 10 years they make another they dont listen again to FGC-GAF opinion only.

For now, as much as I can be sad, its an appropriate result for the stupidity of the whole operation.

I think most people would take SF 3 over the garbage PS2 MK games. Mk was more or less dead till MK9. And guess who steered them in the right direction ?

The games that came well after SFIII? SFIII's main competition was stuff like Soulcalibur and Tekken 3.

Anyway, the point is... why wouldn't anyone want their favourite series to continue? SFV's sales as they are are bad news for the series going forth. It's more surprising to not be concerned about what they mean in a time where Capcom has become stingier and stingier with thier IPs. This isn't something that makes sense to go out and try to justify. The game failed to meet sales expectations and isn't even crawling toward them at this point. These sales are objectively bad news for the series. SF fans absolutely have the right to be worried.

WTF, posts like this make me shake my head. It's fine to want a new darkstalkers or other game but not at the expense of something else.

The reality is that developers can only work on one game at a time, so yes, any game created is at the expense of an infinite number of games that weren't.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I have not made a single argument to get rid of the vs mode. The 1v1. It is a dying genre and needs to evolve in order to survive. In order to retain the mode, they need to build more gameplay around it. More modes that appeal to more than the competitive set. That's the only way fighting games will survive.

I think fighting games can survive targeting a narrow audience as long as they understand where to spend their budget and how to set up an ongoing revenue stream that doesn't piss off their fans. DOTA and the like are popular as shit, and they certainly aren't easy-to-learn, welcoming types of games. Fighting games can be the same, and if that means relying more heavily on the F2P model, then so be it. Games for dedicated niche audiences can exist and they don't need to tack on simplified bullshit to pander to people who are only half-interested in the first place.

Tansut

You mean the lesson of not prioritizing the FGC?
Mostly, yeah. Though I don't think it's an issue of prioritizing the FGC so much as it was ignoring everyone else. In fact, I would argue that what they did focus on so much was the most important thing, but if that's all you're focusing on, that serious and competitive tourney scene, that's also the only audience you're going to get.

I think Capcom either severely underestimated the importance of a good launch or got too caught up in releasing it before Evo to think about the consequences. I kind of wonder if maybe they thought the success of IV would make V an easy win regardless of what content was available upon release.

Im a big SF guy as well, even at the 60 dollar launch price tag i put in enough hours that i got my value from it a while back. Im not a person who gives a fuck about single player content in a fighting game. I just care about a training mode and online. The only time i even touched the player content was so i can unlock a few characters, once i did that i haven't touched it again. I never even played through the storyline. I dont even have it downloaded.

For me these kinds of games are meant to be played against another player and thats it. ITs like when i play a sports game, i hate playing against the AI because to me its boring as shit. i need the human element in order to enjoy the game. If i want a single player game. ill fire up a tomb raider or uncharted game.

And that's fine, I've put a lot of time into it too. But the vast majority on customers want a more complete package for 60$.

Just look at what the vast majority of the competition gives you for 60$ and the difference is abundantly clear.

Platy

Games that would sell even less?

Why do you think this ?

Darkstalkers is the FF7 remake of fighting games and both Pocket Fighter and Power Stone are simplified fighters with casual appeal and we all know how Smash sold MUCH better than Street Fighter. If Capcom can marketing them right and focus on the right groups, they can have solid profits with those

Tyaren

I really have no sympathy for SFV/Capcom after that awful release and the shameless milking they are doing now with overpriced stages and costumes.

Ferrio

Banned
I hope when in 10 years they make another they dont listen again to FGC-GAF opinion only.

For now, as much as I can be sad, its an appropriate result for the stupidity of the whole operation.

If it wasn't for the FGC these genres would be completely dead. The group sticks with the genre even past the fad phases, don't blame them for the game.

Why do you think this ?

Darkstalkers is the FF7 remake of fighting games and both Pocket Fighter and Power Stone are simplified fighters with casual appeal and we all know how Smash sold MUCH better than Street Fighter. If Capcom can marketing them right and focus on the right groups, they can have solid profits with those

Most people don't even know what Darkstalkers is past morrigan. Pocket Fighter although being extremely cute is a very niche game even among the FGC. You seriously overestimate the popularity of these brands.

This doesn't really tell me anything. How are the dlc sales? How is street fighter doing compared to other execution heavy fighters like KOF and Guilty Gear? What's its current active pop vs sf4, any fighting game really?

I don't understand why some people are semi celebrating game performing way below expectations,games performance suggests that Capcom will continue to partner with 1st parties for most of their future projects and if RE7 bombs they will be in a horrible position.
Other than the remasters and smaller scaler projects it seems like most of their titles will came with caveats like a year long exclusivity period,partnering with Nintendo to avoid spending money on MH's promotion and localization,perhaps even another SF5 like game.

Has any other publisher ever been in a position where they are semi-autonomous in video games history?It seems like their internal console projects will need to go thru desks at Sony,MS and Nintendo as much as their own to get greenlighted from now on.

If Capcom merged with Nintendo, that sounds fine to me.

If that is what they take from it .. cest la vie.

lmao that's cute

also, this Darkstalkers?

latest
Darkstalkers-felicia.png

Vena

Hopefully Sony paid them enough to make up for this failure.

Seems the internal heads who hadn't wanted this project to begin with and had no plans to fund it were ultimately right and it getting pushed out because of external funding was folly. Torpedoing the brand with such a poorly received product is going to cost them a lot in the long term.

Ironic that the one time Capcom seems to have correctly read the market, resulted in such a mess.

Lothars

The reality is that developers can only work on one game at a time, so yes, any game created is at the expense of an infinite number of games that weren't.
Yes but they are not going to create a darkstalkers or any of it if it's not feasible. His post was shitty.

cackhyena

It's weird. I totally think this game on a basic level is better than 4. Just systems wise, it's more how SF should be. But I am nowhere near drawn to it the way I was 4. I haven't played in months. For how pumped I was for this, and ready to move on from 4, I'm still astounded by that. I wanna get back into it...maybe the next round of characters gets me pumped again. If they get to make them.

Does anyone else remember that World Tour mode from SF Alpha 3?

That was awesome, single player content in a fighting game done right. Much more fun for someone still learning the game to play than arcade mode. Something like that would add a tonne of value for the average gamer. They should really check their own back catalogue.

A lot of that content was put into the older games simply to add longevity because there was no online mode. Online is the ultimate world tour mode.... it's the ultimate arcade mode.

What Capcom has failed to realize is the average gamer doesn't want to really put in the effort to learn how to play. When faced with the harsh reality that they suck at the game... well you don't make friends with salad.

SephLuis

While this number isn't good, I wonder how the DLC plan for this game is going. If a lot of people are using FM or buying the season pass/premium costumes.

While many people here are strongly rooting for this game to fail, I believe it will have better legs once the next few updates roll in and season 2 starts.

I hope capcom learns their lesson and tried to fix these mistakes in the future.

Capcom made mistakes and they are working on how to fix them, but thank God they are not listening to you when doing said fixes. I have seen stupid complaints over many threads, but this one takes the cake as the worst one. Congratulations.

Also, the sexy costumes are there because some people buy it. No problem with that. Those costumes are also, what, half a dozen in a game that has probably already more than 30 different costumes with very different themes.

Skilletor

Why do you think this ?

lmao

SF5 selling poorly means Capcom isn't going to make another fighter.

Platy

Pocket Fighter although being extremely cute is a very niche game even among the FGC. You seriously overestimate the popularity of these brands.

I am not saying they should make the same game. Makes the smash bros for non nintendo platforms. Pocket Fighter is basicaly Capcom vs Capcom. The popularity of that brand is the popularity of Capcom themselves.

edit :
lmao that's cute

also, this Darkstalkers?

latest
Darkstalkers-felicia.png

Yes, that also have Bulleta and Lei Lei, 2 non sexy characters for 1 sexy character that has no reason to be sexy (felicia)
QBee can work both ways

Menitta

Why do you think this ?

No it's not. People actually don't want Darkstalkers. At least not enough. Resurrection was a failure.

Hell, Rival Schools would do better than Darkstalkers.

MrCarter

As someone who played sf4 multiplayer religiously since its release on pc, I was totally turned off by this game due to its obscure and lame characters. It felt like they added all the characters that were rejected from sf4. Yes there is a loud minority who screamed for Karin and urien but most people have invested in their mains from sf4 and previous games, to cut out all these previous characters is just ugh.

The V system is also meh without much depth.

SFV isn't trying to be SFIV though in terms of character selection. Since it's s new game it should have new and returning people have been asking for a long time. All the new characters such as Rashid, Laura and even Fang have been well received due to thier originality and I hope they make more.

Village

Hey I just lost access to my pas4 version but I now have a dope pc. Put on heavy discount you can sell one more off my broke ass.

On the exact subject of the topic at hand, yo wow. I talk mess about SFV, while it ain't tekken to me my number 1, I do love street fighter. And I don't like to see it doing bad. There could be a lot of analysis into why its not doing so hot. I know some people are brushing of platy with the objectification assertion, but it would be interesting to look into what turned people off sf where.

Don't worry everyone, the inevitable switch port will save Capcom's bottom line. Maybe...hooefully...

In all seriousness though, Capcom is likely readying a SFV port for the Switch's launch. SFIV managed to reach 1 million on the initially struggling 3DS so it isn't too hard to imagine the port would be successful at retail (though SFIV benefited from being the best/most feature complete launch title by quite some margin and kept that title for a while courtesy of the massive software drought).

Mik317

Why do you think this ?

you have no clue wtf you are talking about.

Ono couldn't get Darkstalkers greenlit because the remasters bombed extra hard. Its not the FF7 of fighting games wtf is wrong with you?

Smash success is due largely to its cast of famous characters.

Scotia

Banned
Why do you think this ?

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about lmao

pizzacat

Banned
If that is what they take from it .. cest la vie.

If a Street Fighter fails how will these series succeed?

Also people, don't act like you'll buy a $60 darkstalkers today

Ferrio

Banned
It's weird. I totally think this game on a basic level is better than 4. Just systems wise, it's more how SF should be. But I am nowhere near drawn to it the way I was 4. I haven't played in months. For how pumped I was for this, and ready to move on from 4, I'm still astounded by that. I wanna get back into it...maybe the next round of characters gets me pumped again. If they get to make them.

This is pretty normal for a new entry. You invest a lot of time in the previous, new one comes out and you have to relearn it all over again. That's hard to commit to due to all the time required and the previous one still fresh in everyone's minds. Not to mention the new entry is usually way less fleshed out than the previous. It's one of the issues with the genre, and why the big gap between the release really helped SF4.

Top Bottom