• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under Siege PSN Game - New Trailer

F-Pina

Hi guys, thanks for all the support (and moneys!).

Ikkarus said:
Some real nice pictures there.
Do you have a sort of time frame for how long (roughly) it would take to complete?

We don't have yet.
We are still fine tuning difficulty levels and since all your troops and money carry over from one level to another it's a tricky thing to get a nice balance.
The only thing we know we don't want is for a level to take over 1 hour and then you die just to restart everything again. Expect levels to go from 5 to 20 minutes.

DanDeschain said:
I am definitely interested. Hope there will be a demo.

We are a small team, putting up a demo means we won't be working on finishing our awesome game :D

Eurogamer.pt was at our offices last week and will put this week an Under Siege hands-on in Portuguese + Some gameplay videos. Don't know if it will carry over to Eurogamer.net in English.

Man

I'm assuming the motion controller is in office? (there was an update on your official website a while ago where support was mentioned) Responsive?

F-Pina

Man said:
I'm assuming the motion controller is in office? (there was an update on your official website a while ago where support was mentioned) Responsive?

It's with us since we posted the update in September saying we were supporting it.
It wouldn't make much since otherwise.

Oh, by the way, these screenshots were taken using the "Screenshot" option in the XMB. The next gameplay videos that will pop up in Eurogamer were taking using the "Youtube record video" option at 720p.

Thought you'd all like to know :D

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Looking forward to this, and seeing how you guys implement motion control. Much needed in the console RTS genre.

Mad_Ban

I knew nothing about this game until I saw this thread... :|

But I'm glad I did! It looks awesomes! :D

Since a dev is in here...any ballpark guesstimates for what filesize this game will be?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Curious about the motion control support too. Can you talk about it? How it is in terms of accuracy etc? Do you guys have a preference for one control scheme over the other now?

There've been pretty admirable attempts at doing rts with console controllers but I was never able to really adapt to them.

Man

Interface is nice and clean:

ss_preview_Under_Siege_prep_phase_02.png.jpg

ss_preview_Under_Siege_prep_phase_01.png.jpg

ss_preview_Under_Siege_08.png.jpg

Looks pointer friendly.

Crisis

Banned
DMPrince said:
for price. i think $24.99 sounds right. anything higher then ;P

Images look great as well.

That's way too high imo. $14.99 or less is a sweet spot. I know a lot of hard work has gone into the game but $24.99 is priced way the hell out of the league.

TheGuardian said:
The campaign will be single player only, but the multiplayer mode does allow for 4 player co-op levels, with full video and voice chat support.

Do you mean that we will be able to do video chat in game?

Crisis said:
That's way too high imo. $14.99 or less is a sweet spot. I know a lot of hard work has gone into the game but $24.99 is priced way the hell out of the league.

$14.99? Wipeout HD wasn't even that low when it came out. i don't expect this game to be that price either.

spwolf

Man said:
Interface is nice and clean:

ss_preview_Under_Siege_prep_phase_02.png.jpg

ss_preview_Under_Siege_prep_phase_01.png.jpg

ss_preview_Under_Siege_08.png.jpg

Looks pointer friendly.

wow... that looks pretty amazing... i am looking forward to how usefully will pointer controls be and more info on what devs think about them (will they preffer to play the game with motion controller or standard controller).

Salz01

This looks cool. HP, are you the same guy that did that work with the Crysis Mod tools? Are you using what you learned there on this project? The graphics looks good.

Yes, you can video chat during multiplayer games.

This looks cool. HP, are you the same guy that did that work with the Crysis Mod tools? Are you using what you learned there on this project? The graphics looks good.

HP is now working at Crytek. He did a lot of props and level work here at Seed Studios. Great guy btw :)

Curious about the motion control support too. Can you talk about it? How it is in terms of accuracy etc? Do you guys have a preference for one control scheme over the other now?

We can't talk about it right now. NDAs and stuff like that, but we're really happy with it.

Since a dev is in here...any ballpark guesstimates for what filesize this game will be?

Right now the game takes around 900MB, with all levels and characters in, but that can change closer to release.

I've had my eye on this one for a while. What engine does the game use? I remember hearing that it uses Phyre.

It'll be interesting to see how the motion controls affect the gameplay. I'll get the game when it launches, but I'll definitely come back and try it with the motion controller to see if it makes anything smoother.

If you are reading this HP, how has your experience with the motion controller been?

The game uses Sony's PhyreEngine as a foundation for low level stuff and then we built our own terrain system, deferred renderer, editor, etc on top of it.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Game looks very omnomnomnom ^^

Arc support makes it a must-buy for anyone buying Arc, and screenshot/Youtube uploading is the thing of dreams! I wish more PS3/PSN games would do that. As for PSN pricing, 10-15 bucks would be ideal, with 20 bucks not being as ideal.

TheGuardian said:
The game uses Sony's PhyreEngine as a foundation for low level stuff and then we built our own terrain system, deferred renderer, editor, etc on top of it.

Awesome stuff. So, this game looks like it'll be in the 'Trine' price range. Looks lovely, motion controller support, sleek interface, in depth editor. It has to be. I've no objections to that, as it looks like it'll be worth the money.

TheGuardian said:
Yes, you can video chat during multiplayer games.

HP is now working at Crytek. He did a lot of props and level work here at Seed Studios. Great guy btw :)

We can't talk about it right now. NDAs and stuff like that, but we're really happy with it.

Right now the game takes around 900MB, with all levels and characters in, but that can change closer to release.
Wow video chat during multiplayer amazing. I don't have one of those ps-eye's but that is awesome you guys got video chat in there.

Are there any game's right now on ps3 that even have that feature?

Zen

Banned
F-Pina said:
Hi guys.
We just updated our Developer's Diary.

The launch window for Under Siege is now Spring 2010.

We are taking the extra time to polish the game and include some new features that were missing and we wanted to be in the game.

Under Siege currently supports some cool things like:

- Native 1080p (not upscaled )
- Replay recording with option to upload to YouTube
- Motion Controller support
- Splitscreen for Co-Op and Competitive
- 4 players online
- Video and voice chat in game and on lobby (with tiny windows on the corner!)
- Photo Mode (WipEout we envy you…)
- Custom Soundtracks

And off course a full blown in-game editor where you can:
- Create your own level (single player, multiplayer) or a full campaign with your story
- Use the same tools that we used to make the Single Player Campaign
- Upload it all for everyone to see (and make us sweat with the all the wrong possibilities that a tool like this provides)

Cheers!

Well you've sold me.

F-Pina said:
We are a small team, putting up a demo means we won't be working on finishing our awesome game :D

Maybe working on one after the game is completed would be a good idea. Couldn't you release a stripped down version that just had a few maps/campaign levels selectable, and maybe a 1v1 Multiplayer?

Just saying, a demo could help.

I'll be buying it day 1 though. :lol

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
TheGuardian said:
The campaign will be single player only, but the multiplayer mode does allow for 4 player co-op levels, with full video and voice chat support.
I'LL BUY THIS GAME FOR ONLINE CO-OP!! Many PSN games don't have online co-op, I HATE that.

BeeDog

Game sounds and looks awesome, most likely a day 1 for me. :D With all these features, it almost seems like a full-fledged PSN release akin to WipEout HD; will it have a Platinum trophy?

Goldrusher

DMPrince said:
SPring 2010!!! omg. how many months left before spring is over? I want this game now!
You're responding to a reply to a September '09 blog post. ;)

Anyway... something something mouse support.

First time learning about this game, looks really interesting and has me sold. A lot of these DD games are surely paving the way for great visuals more so than most $6 retail games.

F-Pina

Zen said:
Just saying, a demo could help.

Yes, that is possible.
OR... You can ask a friend to share it on PSN :D

And yes we are chatty! I think we have been reading Gaf since 2004 or 2005 (only managed to register in 2006 though :p ), it only made sense to talk about our game where we normally read and discuss games.

Regarding the Mouse and keyboard and why we don't support it (again).
This was discussed intensely at the offices when we were designing the thing and got cut right at the beginning.
This was not easy since we are big fans of RTSs like "Company of Heroes", "Rise of Legends" and "Generals" (Generals doesn't get the love it deserved) and we can't wait to play Starcraft2, but having a Keyboard and Mouse with you on your sofa or asking everyone to plug in this devices just to play our game doesn't make any sense.

Supporting the Playstation Move was an easy... er... "move" :D
It makes sense.

Well, if a small game like ours manages to incorporate the Move correctly and make it a fact that RTSs on consoles make sense now, maybe we can expect our favorite developers getting they're games on console.

Man

F-Pina, with the PlayStation Move now announced, which type of pointing method are you using? There is laser pointing (a ray cast from the 3D object that is the Move) or 'draw pointing' (X&Y position of sphere) ?

I'm also assuming the camera is moved with the subcontroller/DS3 while the cursor moves freely within the screen space.

When you're using the motion controller will the game be using just the move controller on it's own or will you be doing Endwar-style voice commands through the PS Eye in addition to the pointer? Or can you not speak about this stuff because of the NDA?

When can we expect to see more from the game- E3 or sooner?

Top Bottom