• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines Kicks Passenger Off Plane Because of Marvel Black Panther Hat

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

lots of common sense is fleeting in this thread,

that anarchist t-shirt with the flag upside down is a POOR choice of t-shirt to chose for flying

just pick out a plain logoless t-shirt for that one day you pass customs and fly.

''I need to make a statement!!!' First amendment!!!'',

whatever, i dare you 1st amendment people to say something smarmy to a customs agent
It's a shirt, dude.

Flying American Airlines with an anti American slogan is not cool.
I didn't realize there was a legal "cool" threshold that had to be reached to use an airport.

FStop7

Banned
At first I kind of cringed at that shirt but then I remembered a conversation from the Giant Bombcast in which they mentioned they often fly wearing Giant Bomb related shirts and it largely hasn't been an issue. So if a shirt with the word "bomb" on it isn't a big deal then I can't really say an inverted flag shirt should be a problem.

Making an issue of the hat idiotic, full stop.

Slayven

That shirt is super cheesy. Looks like something a 9th grader would buy after being upset they just lost their first girlfriend.

I side with the airline company, businesses have the right to enforce a dress code.

what kind of dress code would that shirt violate?

low-G

The T-shirt is the wrong choice in today's shitty environment.

The hat though? Fuck off pilot. Fire that fucker. Don't let anyone employ him.

(or let pilots exclude everyone that wears pro-Trump clothing)

kirblar

The hat's a way bigger deal than the shirt.

Given the meaning of the upside down flag (thanks NH Apache), turning it inside out doesn't seem unreasonable, and apparently she's done so in the past voluntarily when traveling. (and did so here as well when asked) If it was just that, this probably wouldn't be a story.

But the hat thing is completely ridiculous and f'd up. It makes me think we have an old (50yo+) white guy here with absolutely no idea who T'Challa is and instead is getting "uncomfortable" by what he sees as a reference to the Black Panthers. It's totally a racial thing and I do not blame her in the least for being angry and escalating this, she's totally right to do so.

That shirt is super cheesy. Looks like something a 9th grader would buy after being upset they just lost their first girlfriend.

I side with the airline company, businesses have the right to enforce a dress code.
So tell me where in your ticket information United says customers may not wear a shirt that has a political statement on it or a hat with the name and pictures of a black super hero character?

I'll wait.

Hagi

lots of common sense is fleeting in this thread,

that anarchist t-shirt with the flag upside down is a POOR choice of t-shirt to chose for flying

just pick out a plain logoless t-shirt for that one day you pass customs and fly.

''I need to make a statement!!!' First amendment!!!'',

whatever, i dare you 1st amendment people to say something smarmy to a customs agent

It's an upside down flag on a t-shirt. Jesus christ she isn't walking round the airport burning a flag and singing fuck america. Is she being smarmy just by wearing rappers apparel? what about the black panther hat? how do you explain that one?

norm9

If she's having to turn that ugly shirt inside out so often, would make some sense to start wearing another shirt maybe.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Flying American Airlines with an anti American slogan is not cool.

Yet I'm sure someone wearing shirts like these would not have been kicked off the plane:

DTOM-2.jpg

Heritage-T-2.jpg

Audioboxer

Is it a flight risk? No? Well STFU and fly the plane as you're paid to and deliver the paying passengers to their destination. Simple.

Heaven forbid people wearing slipknot t-shirts and other heavy metal based bands with satanic imagery get banned next because someone is uncomfortable.

This is one of those times I want to use the term triggered unironically. As that pilot was one triggered individual. Sitting up in their cockpit and not even needing to see or mingle with the passengers yet still whining about a hat.

I'm sure skin color didn't factor into this at all. It was all the inside out shirt and the comic book hat. Surely the same thing would have happened to a white person wearing those things. We all know airplanes are liberty-free zones, this person should have known better.

I hate using a sarcasm tag but holy fuck given some of these responses somebody is gonna think I'm being serious.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Yet I'm sure someone wearing shirts like these would not have been kicked off the plane:

What's your point?
We live in a world where people are still uneasy seeing swastikas, the new big bad is terrorism and that shirt would fall into supporting that category.

So tell me where in your ticket information United says customers may not wear a shirt that has a political statement on it or a hat with the name and pictures of a black super hero character?

I'll wait.

Its an issue of aviation security. So its not exactly written how you want, but I can assure somewhere there is a blanket statement saying the FUCKING PILOT of a FUCKING AIRPLANE can make a call about who can and cannot fly based on pretty much ANYTHING.

Get over yourself and the individual this is just about an airplane getting 200 some people to where they need to go. A single person can fuck right off if they want to wear weird shit in the current economic climate where everyone is on edge.

Basically, common sense, just do not fuck around at an airport. Keep all that clothing in the bag put it back on when you get away.

Audioboxer

What's your point?
We live in a world where people are still uneasy seeing swastikas, the new big bad is terrorism and that shirt would fall into supporting that category.

Human beings should have the brains to correctly judge whether something is genuinely threatening and act accordingly. Having your feelings hurt because of a piece of clothing is not a reason for someone to have to leave a flight. She is not a terrorist for fuck sake. A piece of clothing does not make you a terrorist.

NH Apache

Banned
What's your point?

Are you comparing NAZI swastikas to an anarchy symbol? You're aware the swastika is a Hindu symbol as well.

Here's something: it shouldn't freaking matter what the person is wearing.

That being said, we do have to remember that AA is a private company and basically has complete discretion. Public outcry is really the only response.

Yup, that is right. They as a private company can do this. It doesn't mean we can't laugh our asses off at PC gone mad here, and apologists trying to draw in terrorism to suggest people being afraid of t-shirts and hats.

Agreed. This thread man.

Audioboxer

Are you comparing NAZI swastikas to an anarchy symbol? You're aware the swastika is a Hindu symbol as well.

That being said, we do have to remember that AA is a private company and basically has complete discretion. Public outcry is really the only response.

Yup, that is right. They as a private company can do this. It doesn't mean we can't laugh our asses off at PC gone mad here, and apologists trying to draw in terrorism to suggest people being afraid of t-shirts and hats.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
What's your point?

One is a symbol hijacked by anti-government, white-nationalist militias (aka domestic terrorists) and the other is the flag flown by traitors that tried to break apart the country (aka domestic terrorists). But you're right. Those brown terrorists are the ones that really matter.

Its an issue of aviation security. So its not exactly written how you want, but I can assure somewhere there is a blanket statement saying the FUCKING PILOT of a FUCKING AIRPLANE can make a call about who can and cannot fly based on pretty much ANYTHING.

Get over yourself and the individual this is just about an airplane getting 200 some people to where they need to go. A single person can fuck right off if they want to wear weird shit in the current economic climate where everyone is on edge.

Basically, common sense, just do not fuck around at an airport. Keep all that clothing in the bag put it back on when you get away.
Calm down friend why are you getting so hyped up and mad?

While some sort of argument might be made of the shirt the fact he pilot flipped over the hat is even worse. Black Panther is a fucking super hero and their even images of the super on the hat. Pilot is a asshat and that's that since the shirt was turned inside out.

Also please prove the bolden since you seem so knowledgeable.

bitbydeath

Gold Member

Are you really trying to downplay the symbolism of an upside down flag?

Do you think it's just a joke?

Jeremy

I haven't been to the airport in over ten years probably. Are there really unwritten rules about the dress code now and how it's enforced? That's creepy.

cdyhybrid

"I'm pretty sure"

Well, glad we settled that.

Calm down friend why are you getting so hyped up and mad?

While some sort of argument might be made of the shirt the fact he pilot flipped over the hat is even worse. Black Panther is a fucking super hero and their even images of the super on the hat. Pilot is a asshat and that's that.

Also please prove the bolden since you seem so knowledgeable.

Where does it say the pilot flipped out over the clothing?

Audioboxer

Starting to think this is it.

Possibly will be, but the situation was obviously initially escalated with complaining about the t-shirt, which was turned inside out and then the hat. None of that should have even started as we're talking about fully grown adults here paid to do a job. You know the passenger has clearly already gone through airport security, so no, a t-shirt/hat doesn't secretly operate as a weapon.

What next? A pilot refusing to fly someone wearing a trump hat/t-shirt? Yes, America, most of you hate Trump but that would be just as ridiculous given your 1st amendment which you trumpet when it's convenient, and like to forget when it doesn't help your argument.

Are you really trying to downplay the symbolism of an upside down flag?

Do you think it's just a joke?

What about an upside down cross bro? That's "satanic".

People wear all sorts of goofy and questionable clothing, but as an adult get a grip. You're on a flight to go somewhere, said person will be on a flight with you for how long? A couple hours? Woah, such inconvenience to your feelings.

This shirt?

asap-worldwide-flag-shirt-pacsun-2015-billboard-510.jpg

It's a shirt I wouldn't wear to an airport. I also wouldn't where a Giant Bomb shirt to an airport.

That said, there's no reason it should be an issue. Anarchy symbols have been co-opted as fashion for a long time. This isn't like walking into an airport with a shirt made out of an Isis flag.

And even then... It's still just a shirt.

The hat on the other hand... I can't even imagine getting upset about that one.

As much as I think we should all relish keeping our heads down and our mouths shut when we're in any public place, I'd say that probably isn't a standard we should all need to adhere to in a society that professes to hold freedom above most things.

Also, "economic climate?" What?

cdyhybrid

Possibly will be, but the situation was obviously initially escalated with complaining about the tshirt, which was turned inside out and then the hat. None of that should have even started as we're talking about fully grown adults here paid to do a job. You know the passenger has clearly already gone through airport security, so no, a t-shirt/hat doesn't secretly operate as a weapon.
Maybe wearing a BP hat gives access to the Dehumanizing Stare ability.

Everyone remembers how the black panthers took down that one plane? Or that bomb they placed that time, right? What about the time they killed that one guy recently?

You can't blame 9/11 for racism brah.

io9 heard back from United Airlines

“We have reached out to Ms. Campos to discuss her concerns. Our goal is to provide safe and comfortable travel for all of our customers and we regret that Ms. Campos was unhappy with the handling of the seat assignments on her flight. United holds our employees to the highest standards of professionalism and has zero tolerance for discrimination.”

United Airlines has responded to io9's request for comment regarding the ejection of a passenger from a flight earlier today. Besides brazenly avoiding a discussion of the actual situation, its response manages to completely misidentify the person in question.

When last contacted by io9, Amanda Stevens was on board a later flight to Chicago and communicating with United over Twitter. She also confirmed that Campos isn’t any part of her name.

Who the fuck is Ms. Campos lmao

http://io9.gizmodo.com/united-s-explanation-for-kicking-a-passenger-off-a-plan-1787722640

Everyone remembers how the black panthers took down that one plane? Or that bomb they placed that time, right? What about the time they killed that one guy recently?

You can't blame 9/11 for racism brah.

I wouldn't even assume a pilot knows what the black panther super hero is...and people get afraid of unknown things. I don't see clear racism yet IMO. I'd need a more in depth news article.

Audioboxer

Maybe wearing a BP hat gives access to the Dehumanizing Stare ability.

Only in your opponent :p I mean I guess the dehumanizing stare ability is okay to use when you see a "make America great again" hat LOL. But still, yes, those hats have their 1st amendment rights to be able to go on a plane. Just grit your feelings for an hour or two and hey, that's you landing in your destination. Play some Animal Crossing or something to chill and you'll forget all about the Trump hat 2 seats away from you.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Your comparison is the most stupid thing I have read on this board for a long time

You clearly have no idea what an upside down flag means.

It means distress and could be taken to mean the person who does it or wears it intends to do ill harm to that country (cause distress) aka a terrorist.

An upside down cross of hurting beliefs has nothing on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom