• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

University of North Dakota students mock BLM in blackface

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, you try to give these people the benefit of the doubt and be real with them about your personal experiences, and then you look and notice the only other OT posts by them are calling a woman crazy and quieting criticism of a lack of diversity. :/

Yup. I tend to be better about it, but you know how it goes. "Cut one head" and all that..

tumblr_n3qpi6vksT1qe3p9bo1_500.gif

It's a poor joke, they aren't wearing black face. As other posters have mentioned. they're facial masks. I know plenty of people who would make a joke like this not thinking of the consequences. they're kids.
Look, I mean, you're saying that because this isn't specifically minstrel-esque blackface that it's harmless, and because they weren't thinking of the consequences we should give them a pass for making a poor joke. But the impact jokes like this have are beyond what they intend. Racism as a word includes two definitions: a feeling of personal antipathy towards a race AND a system/culture built on top of that antipathy. How would a culture that shrugged at making black people feel like shit not be racist?

It's racist. It's mocking and dismissive of black people's appearance and an active black protest movement. I don't see any reason to say "kids will be kids" at this. This joke is designed to make black people feel like shit. The only thing that gets these girls off the hook is if it turns out the internet got a hold of their picture and added the caption. Until then, what the fuck with the weird justifications?

Look, I mean, you're saying that because this isn't specifically minstrel-esque blackface that it's harmless, and because they weren't thinking of the consequences we should give them a pass for making a poor joke. But the impact jokes like this have are beyond what they intend. Racism as a word includes two definitions: a feeling of personal antipathy towards a race AND a system/culture built on top of that antipathy. How would a culture that shrugged at making black people feel like shit not be racist?

It's racist. It's mocking and dismissive of black people's appearance and an active black protest movement. I don't see any reason to say "kids will be kids" at this. This joke is designed to make black people feel like shit. The only thing that gets these girls off the hook is if the internet got a hold of their picture and added the caption.
Regarding the bolded, I think it's worse than that: they assume no black people will ever see it, because they intentionally live that way. So they just mock and belittle them in expected privacy, like we all do in private about other races, right everyone?

Regarding the bolded, I think it's worse than that: they assume no black people will ever see it, because they intentionally live that way. So they just mock and belittle them in expected privacy, like we all do in private about other races, right everyone?
I could see that too, even though it seems insane to expect privacy on social media to me. Snapchat isn't as private as people think. It tells the sender if the receiver screenshot their pic, but there's nothing to prevent someone saving it.

But yes, assuming people's natural state is racism is of course fucked up.

Fingers

Banned
Clearly i've riled up a lot of hate over this. maybe they're not, maybe these kids are a tad racist, maybe they're not. I suppose i just got a bit defensive as i know my friends aren't racist, as i have a couple of black friends at uni who also joke about this stuff. We don't really use the N word as that is drilled in to be somewhat shocking in our education system but we like to think the whole humour thing isn't as bad as it seems, maybe i should look at it more controversially as some of you posters are quite shocked at it and i never thought people looked at jokes as making people sexist or racist.

Kelsdesu

Clearly i've riled up a lot of hate over this. maybe they're not, maybe these kids are a tad racist, maybe they're not. I suppose i just got a bit defensive as i know my friends aren't racist, as i have a couple of black friends at uni who also joke about this stuff. We don't really use the N word as that is drilled in to be somewhat shocking in our education system but we like to think the whole humour thing isn't as bad as it seems, maybe i should look at it more controversially as some of you posters are quite shocked at it and i never thought people looked at jokes as making people sexist or racist.

Relax, guys. They're just some 23 year old kids having fun and just made a mistake.

Clearly i've riled up a lot of hate over this.
So people in this thread responding to you is hate but mocking people based on their race as a joke isnt as long as you do it in private?

There is lighthearted jokes and then there is ignorant ass shit like this. Assuming they were the ones who added the caption.

Enzom21

So people in this thread responding to you is hate but mocking people based on their race as a joke isnt as long as you do it in private?

There is lighthearted jokes and then there is ignorant ass shit like this. Assuming they were the ones who added the caption.

It's all good, he has black friends.

so now you're crying about hate and your racist friends? It's just a joke bro...

It's racist. It's mocking and dismissive of black people's appearance and an active black protest movement. I don't see any reason to say "kids will be kids" at this. This joke is designed to make black people feel like shit. The only thing that gets these girls off the hook is if it turns out the internet got a hold of their picture and added the caption. Until then, what the fuck with the weird justifications?

Exactly. Well said.

It's not even hate, man. It's just... question anything at all, ever, about the way your friends behave. You're just like "it's not racist" based on ???. Because they do it in private? That's what makes it possibly not racist that white people in a wealthy mostly white place would joke about race?

Charcoal masks are all the rage at the moment and it's baffling. Same with brushing your teeth with charcoal. I only about these things because my girlfriend is manic about them both and follows some instagram accounts where they give tips, etc on how to use it.

I mean, the masks I can kinda understand, but brushing your teeth with charcoal? What the fuck is going on man.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom