• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

University of North Dakota students mock BLM in blackface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks.

The bolded is pretty damning and falls into line with what I suspected in the first place. Part of me thinks they all did and probably laughed after the text was added and the send button pressed, but it could also be the case that one decided to be a dick and thought it'd be funny to add it when no-one was looking.

The problem I have with that is that would the others really not look at the snap as soon as it was sent? I assume they'd all receive it, is there an option to delete snaps or is it a send and done type deal?

You can delete snaps and if you don't send it directly to the people in your list they dont get it. So theoretically you could send it to a few people without these girls knowing. But I mean, it was probably added as My Story and someone saw it and was like "what the fuck"?

Lotsa people giving them the benefit of the doubt. I wish black people got the benefit of the doubt on I dunno . . . Anything.

The plausible deniability of this is such that I don't see anything happening to these girls. And its w/e imo. Black lives don't matter to priveleged people, news at 11.

Enzom21

Mother of..

What the hell...

That's disgusting.
It's probably just regular toothpaste with dye add to take advantage of another kooky trend.
41E7B8CG2NL.jpg

It was proven they added the caption right? Girls posing in facial masks is nothing new.

Well you can't add text to someone else's picture on snap and then post it without a white border around it. So they more than likely put the caption themselves.

Nipo

It's probably just regular toothpaste with dye add to take advantage of another kooky trend.
41E7B8CG2NL.jpg

Well you can't add text to someone else's picture on snap and then post it without a white border around it. So they more than likely put the caption themselves.

Really? I don't use snap chat but I assumed anyone could screen shot the photo add text then upload it online.

If it was posted on one of the girls account yea kick her out and punish the others if they were OK with it.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
My exact reaction when I saw the first video. Shit's crazy.

How it does help with hangovers?

Charcoal is a natural filter that your body can't absorb. Often poison victims are given charcoal to help move it out if your system faster. Activated charcoal and sprite helps filter the alcohol from your body. Most water filters (Brita and such) use these filters.

Zoe

Yes. At least one of the girls had to have put the black lives matters text in the picture. Because if it was a saved image that someone else uploaded and added the text, it would have a white border around and say "saved from camera roll". One of them definitely added the caption.

Edit: Examples:

This incident doesn't have the problem you're describing:

The problem with internet scorn is that you had better hope it is accurate.

All the Internet Vigilantes that accused the Quinnipiac University student of being racist last week were nowhere to be seen when it came out that she had no knowledge of the caption that was added to her photo.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...n-college-student-blackface-article-1.2800720

People happily blasted her online, but few admitted their mistake or apologized when it turned out that the subject of the photo was the victim of it all.

If these girls are responsible for adding the caption and the posting of the photo, then they deserve to be criticized. But if they just posed for a photo and someone else added the caption w/o their knowledge, then calling for their lives to be ruined is a bit much, no?

Syriel

Some girl from Quinnipiac did the same thing and got expelled. Like why would you post this and think it's a good idea?

Except:

1) The girl from Quinnipiac didn't get expelled since she didn't do anything wrong.
2) There is nothing racist about using a cosmetic face mask.

Thank you for completely proving my point with your post.

All the Internet Vigilantes that accused the Quinnipiac University student of being racist last week were nowhere to be seen when it came out that she had no knowledge of the caption that was added to her photo.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...n-college-student-blackface-article-1.2800720

People happily blasted her online, but few admitted their mistake or apologized when it turned out that the subject of the photo was the victim of it all.

If these girls are responsible for adding the caption and the posting of the photo, then they deserve to be criticized. But if they just posed for a photo and someone else added the caption w/o their knowledge, then calling for their lives to be ruined is a bit much, no?

Really? I don't use snap chat but I assumed anyone could screen shot the photo add text then upload it online.

If it was posted on one of the girls account yea kick her out and punish the others if they were OK with it.

If it was screenshotted it was by someone on their snapchat friend list. Unless they have a public profile (most dont) So the question is do they have someone added that would be out to do that? Maybe?

USC-fan

Banned

That's awful.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the internet mob justice.

Enzom21

This incident doesn't have the problem you're describing:

Someone took a picture of her and put the caption without her knowledge. These women are taking a selfie and had to have added the caption themselves.
Do you really not get the difference?

kottila

Someone took a picture of her and put the caption without her knowledge. These women are taking a selfie and had to have added the caption themselves.
Do you really not get the difference?

Not saying it happened here, but it's easy to screenshot a snap/photo and add your own caption in snapchat.

That's awful.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the internet mob justice.

Tbh I don't get how this gets mistaken. She knows who took the picture. So if this picture were to get out wouldn't you immediately know who spread it? Like you should be able to figure this out relatively quickly.

Not saying it happened here, but it's easy to screenshot a snap/photo and add your own caption in snapchat.

For reference can you do that on Android?

Enzom21

If you upload a picture from your camera roll it has a white border. If someone took a screenshot of their picture, added the caption and posted on snap, it would have the border.

kottila

If you upload a picture from your camera roll it has a white border. If someone took a screenshot of their picture, added the caption and posted on snap, it would have the border.

I use pictures from my camera roll all the time, and I've never seen a white border.

pHand

I stumbled upon this article while looking up the story: Epidemic of Racist Incidents. Lots of horrible shit going on. This one happened a couple of weeks ago:
A Kansas State University student posted a photo of herself and a friend in blackface, along with a note indicating that she was enjoying being a black person, but using a common racial slur. The photo (right) circulated widely on social media.

Unlike the Quinnipiac incident, the girls in the picture admitted they posted it and apologized, but said, "We want people to know it's not blackface."

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

The UI elements from Snapchat are missing. It's already cropped.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Maybe else did it, but I doubt it.

The UI elements are not missing parts are cut off though.

Sorry I meant a UI element. The CHAT is missing. The picture is clearly cropped with the clock being really close to the edge.

Fingers

Banned
Anything huh? How many nigger jokes have your friends told?

People have different senses of humour, I personally don't really find Idubbbz and his cancer memes funny, but clearly some people do. It doesn't take away from those people as a person. I don't avoid people because they find something i don't funny. Jesus do we live in a society now where people can't find anything funny but knock knock jokes and why the golfer brought two pairs of pants. I'm not going to run my mouth just because my friends tell stupid jokes. they're not wearing white hoods and burning crosses at night so who cares?

People have different senses of humour, I personally don't really find Idubbbz and his cancer memes funny, but clearly some people do. It doesn't take away from those people as a person. I don't avoid people because they find something i don't funny. Jesus do we live in a society now where people can't find anything funny but knock knock jokes and why the golfer brought two pairs of pants. I'm not going to run my mouth just because my friends tell stupid jokes. they're not wearing white hoods and burning crosses at night so who cares?
Guy, you can find anything funny you want, and others can say that shit is childish, racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.

I love all sorts of "offensive" comedy, but they come at the subject with obvious respect and independently learned knowledge, even if the storytelling involved might end up being crass or irreverent. Just saying racist shit isn't funny in itself any more than just referencing a TV show isn't funny in itself.

Enzom21

So is that a yes?
People are only racists if they burn crosses and wear white hoods?

I completely agree, in this situation these individuals were being silly, they shouldn't have done it if they did do it. but come on i shouldn't be getting personal attacks about my choice of friends because they found an offensive joke they heard funny.

Who attacked you personally? I have only seen people call the friends you have racists for making racist jokes.

The Kree

Banned

So the only two options are knock knock jokes and lolniggers. Nothing in between. And the only kind of racism worth blinking at is a Klan gathering.

Interesting perspective you have.

Fingers

Banned
Guy, you can find anything funny you want, and others can say that shit is childish, racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.

I love all sorts of "offensive" comedy, but they come at the subject with obvious respect and independently learned knowledge, even if the storytelling involved might end up being crass or irreverent. Just saying racist shit isn't funny in itself any more than just referencing a TV show isn't funny in itself.

I completely agree, in this situation these individuals were being silly, they shouldn't have done it if they did do it. but come on i shouldn't be getting personal attacks about my choice of friends because they found an offensive joke they heard funny.

Fingers

Banned
This fucking guy, though.

Maybe it was growing up in a town inhabited by 90% rich white folk. I just don't believe an offensive joke told in private has any diminishing effect on society. My friends aren't racist because they found a joke funny. hell we've all probably laughed at something we shouldn't have.

Maybe we should crucify Jim Sterling because he said we should cut Palmer Luckey some slack in his latest Jimquisition?

Enzom21

Maybe it was growing up in a town inhabited by 90% rich white folk. I just don't believe an offensive joke told in private has any diminishing effect on society. My friends aren't racist because they found a joke funny. hell we've all probably laughed at something we shouldn't have.

Maybe we should crucify Jim Sterling because he said we should cut Palmer Luckey some slack in his latest Jimquisition?

Did Jim Sterling tell a racist joke? What does that have to do with your friends telling racist jokes?

Fingers

Banned
Did Jim Sterling tell a racist joke? What does that have to do with your friends telling racist jokes?

I'm just defending peoples rights to tell what ever jokes they like. I wouldn't deem them racist because they laughed at a little racist joke. I don't think Ethan from H3H3 hates women and is a sexist because he called a feminist crazy. I suppose its different taste. i don't really see the persecution of black people being from a mainly white town in England, its not even on the news most of the time.

Maybe it was growing up in a town inhabited by 90% rich white folk. I just don't believe an offensive joke told in private has any diminishing effect on society. My friends aren't racist because they found a joke funny.
You don't see just within this statement itself how fucked up it is that in a nearly entirely white place with wealth the people you associate with are saying racist shit in private? This doesn't completely open up the reality of the situation to you?

I grew up in South Carolina. I thought like you when my white friends said that shit, never realizing that when I was with black friends that they never said the same shit the other way. (Or I'd notice in mixed company that white friends would try to say racist stuff and expect minorities to just laugh with them because "we're cool, right?") You think it's fine because it's done privately, but it's really just an honest reflection of who you actually are when no one else is watching. I came to learn that over the years as I watched those people get racist as fuck or consistently diet racist on Facebook and elsewhere. People who aren't racist just don't tell racist jokes, ever, because we're thinking about and talking about better things.

Enzom21

I'm just defending peoples rights to tell what ever jokes they like. I wouldn't deem them racist because they laughed at a little racist joke. I don't think Ethan from H3H3 hates women and is a sexist because he called a feminist crazy. I suppose its different taste. i don't really see the persecution of black people being from a mainly white town in England, its not even on the news most of the time.

If a nigger joke is told in the woods and no one is around to hear it, is it still racist?
Come on man.

Covert racism still perpetuates subtle racist tendencies subconsciously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom