• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does this keep happening? Student posts in Blackface on social media

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I'll never understand why people defend college and university students for doing things like this with the argument "they're just a kid." Those are adult institutions.

There's also a very noticeable double standard in our country when it comes to age and race. There's a problem when a 10 year old black kid in New Jersey is mistaken for an adult by cops while 18+ year old white people are referred to as "kids."

Nice throwaway.
dietracists0tsl0.gif

You're only a kid if you are white. At 16, 18, 21, 25, 30, 35.

Closer by Chainsmoker must exclude people of color. We ain't never getting older isn't a statement minorities can make.
Kinda late but I just want to say that teens don't grow up to be adult. Sure the law says that they legal for crimes and felonies at 18 or wherever they are but they don't just put on the adult mindset. They have to be taught that by society or at least their parents. That's why the driving laws here allow for a teen to get a license if they have a parent or guardian cosign so they can start learning to be responsible young adults and know that their deeds and consequences will be dire if they ever get drunk and run over someone. Unlike me who still can't learn to drive for shit and probably never will because my eyesight got fucked up.

Kinda late but I just want to say that teens don't grow up to be adult. Sure the law says that they legal for crimes and felonies at 18 or wherever they are but they don't just put on the adult mindset. They have to be taught that by society or at least their parents. That's why the driving laws here allow for a teen to get a license if they have a parent or guardian cosign so they can start learning to be responsible young adults and know that their deeds and consequences will be dire if they ever get drunk and run over someone. Unlike me who still can't learn to drive for shit and probably never will because my eyesight got fucked up.

well failure and humiliation have always been excellent teachers

and please miss me with that her brain ain't developed nonsense

she a fuckin college student goin to a majority black university and I highly doubt she's not up to date on race relations in the country

She probably isn't racist, just making a dumbass joke. But she should know that blackface is racist and that you can't make that joke no matter how many black people you know. Just don't fuck around with it. Not hard. It's not cute.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Prejudice on any level is not some acceptable answer. Just because she's not gonna don a bedsheet and start marching against "darkies" while burning a cross doesn't separate her or the prejudice she holds from being just as vile.

Racism is insidious because of exactly that. People are so afraid to confront those smaller examples and deal with them because of this thought.

They all come from the same place.

People avoid confronting those smaller examples because they think "racist" must mean that they support slavery, cross burning, and lynching. That's exactly what people are referring to when they say "I'm not racist, but...(racist thing)". They really don't think they are racist because they really do think the worst forms of racism are terrible.

Getting racists to understand that there are more forms of racism than the most egregious stuff is one of the most important steps to getting people to change. And that's not going to happen as long as you judge racism to be either 0% or 100%.

bman94

http://abc13.com/news/student-leaves-prairie-view-after-blackface-incident/1537959/

"Being here, I have felt what it is like to be a minority, and I have felt uncomfortable. I have felt out of place. But, I knew that was going to be part of this journey of going to an HBCU as a white Hispanic student,"

"I will admit that I was ignorant in my post. I was stupid for posting it without thinking more clearly about the consequences. But I'm not racist."

How fucking dense can you be?

Ignorant? How do you go that many years in your life and suddenly decide blackface is the best course of action for you to fit in at a university while completely missing out on the history and implications of such an action?

Wait

He also read a letter from Merino to the student body in which she says she had no idea what the term blackface meant before her post went viral, apologizing several times. She says she meant her post as a joke.

WHAT

THE

FUCK

I can believe in the failure of the education system, but this type of ofeensive shit has been popping up in media for the past year. No way somebody is that dense

Gattsu25

Banned
Thread title: "Why does this keep happening? Student posts in Blackface on social media"

"Why does this keep happening?" As one of North America's greatest poets once wrote:
"Racism still alive; they just be concealing it."​

These folk are used to being racist within their quiet little circles but are starting to slip because of the easily sharable nature of social media.

Becky from HR? Yeah, she calls you a racial slur behind closed doors.

USC-fan

Banned
Merino sparked outrage among her teammates and across campus. Students said they weren't only upset with the black tape on her face, but with the caption "When you just tryina fit in at your HBCU."

Its way worse if this wasn't some kind of face product that just made her look black.

It one thing to make a joke in poor taste while using a beauty product. It totally another if she put this stuff on just to look black. She should never be allowed back at that AA college.

Wow kids these days....SMH.

I think I get what SuperBanana was trying to say.

Already-racist and awful girl puts on a face mask. Looks in the mirror and thinks in her own fucked up mind "lol I look like a black person, I should share this." Posts about it, gets everything she deserves.

This particular situation has played out several times partly because face masks are a thing. Some people instead of just thinking "hah I look silly" go to racist thoughts instead, because they are racist. At no point in the process is it a non-racist or non-terrible thing, but the idea is that they're not putting on the mask in order to make the statement, they're looking in the mirror and suddenly realizing they could make this statement. Of course that's no excuse and doesn't lessen it in any way, but it is an explanation as to why it keeps happening with girls putting on beauty masks.

Like if hockey masks were black you would see similar things happening with guys.

Infinite

"As a white hispanic" lol

from my experience (complete anecdotal), white hispanics can be very racist. They've been told all their lives that they are beautiful while their brown/black friends/family get told otherwise.
That happens in a lot of cultures and ethnic groups. The phenomenon is called as Colorism.

NandoGip

That happens in a lot of cultures and ethnic groups. The phenomenon is called as Colorism.

I'm Brazilian. The country has a similar ratio of white skin to black skin (I don't know exact numbers though. One thing I can say is black people are still heavily discriminated against.

You don't leave the USA (or white USA culture) as a black or brown person and poof racism disappears

HotHamBoy

Once again....

comments

dont read them.

just...

sigh.

You did this to me.

Bill Limp
Black face, money face, Gorilla mask, are all examples of black racism based on their responses. No whites seemed to mind when Michael Jackson wore white face. I do not find it offensive if you want to be white either. Black people are racist by definition. They have blacks only clubs and have quotas. Racist people, through and through.

Mr. Limp has many more nuggets of wisdom in that comments thread.

Edit HOLY FUCKING SHIT

Ashley, I'm not responsible for your disdain for black face. The connotation is a creation of your psychological self worth and how you view yourself.. Your blackness is something you must deal with, just as I must deal with my whiteness... The sensitivity to the "N" word and black face, and fried chicken and watermelon, and a hundred other terms like thug, are within the black community and you should get counseling to deal with these issues.
If they define you, they enslave you.

Focus on issues that really matter and forget about the minutia.

Focus on the 4000 dead black people in Chicago and make a difference there. Focus on restoring government integrity in Detroit. Focus on raising the standard of living for all blacks...
Forget about the hurt from a word or some black paint on the face of a woman or a man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom