• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

University of North Dakota students mock BLM in blackface

Status
Not open for further replies.

milanbaros

Member?
I mean, even assuming the caption was added by someone else you'd think people would be smart enough not to take a picture like that

Maybe they didn't assume the person who added the caption was the sort of person who would take a (potentially) innocent photo of the women in face masks and make a world wide internet racist incident out of it.

The girls are doing a Elmers Glue and Activated charcoal mask to remove black heads and give them clearer skin.

The capture and joke is in poor taste to be sure. But they didn't put the crap on their face just because. It's a new beauty technique.

Fingers

Banned
Why would you even do this. What is there to make fun of? Police violence against minority groups isn't funny.

It's a poor joke, they aren't wearing black face. As other posters have mentioned. they're facial masks. I know plenty of people who would make a joke like this not thinking of the consequences. they're kids.

El Topo

Maybe they didn't assume the person who added the caption was the sort of person who would take a (potentially) innocent photo of the women in face masks and make a world wide internet racist incident out of it.

Fair enough. Maybe I'm just a bit too cynical.

It's a poor joke, they aren't wearing black face. As other posters have mentioned. they're facial masks. I know plenty of people who would make a joke like this not thinking of the consequences. they're kids.

I don't think you knowing plenty of people who would make a joke like this suddenly makes it cool. Besides, even if it's a beauty treatment the joke works because their faces are covered in something black.

Granted, if they got hacked it's all a farce anyway

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Instead of immediately jumping to righteous fury, I'd like to know who posted the picture and added the caption and if these students were aware of it. They appear to be wearing facial masks for skin care and after previous similar incidents where people had their images used without their knowledge with a racist caption, I'd like to know more before condemning anyone. But please feel free to keep throwing stones.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Man get real, they're grown ass women. Probably older than me. And maybe you should drop your racist ass friends too.

Condom

Man get real, they're grown ass women. Probably older than me. And maybe you should drop your racist ass friends too.
Racism implies they care. This is not racism. This is undiluted 'I don't care at all and life is a joke to me'. Some privileged people don't even care enough to have a real opinion on social matters because their life is awesome already.

Then again if the caption was added by others (ahem, 4chan) then we have a whole other discussion to be had about that.

Apt101

Blonde-haired white guy. Probably has a harrowing story about the time the cops gave him a hard time because he was high on the golf course outside of his house when he was 15. Probably rushed right to Reddit complain.

Relax, it's a joke.

Fingers

Banned

I don't have racist friends. I have friends who think they're funny by making jokes about anything. How do we know the sender of the photo didn't add the caption or someone did it later as a joke. We're jumping to too many conclusions as normal. Lets see how this plays out. If the students come out and say it was a racist joke i hope you will accept my apology.

But come on, They're students. Pretty much 80% of the students i know and go to school with have the maturity levels of a 12 year old.

milanbaros

Member?
Why do you know so many racists

People who make dumb jokes like that aren't necessarily racist. I know someone who make outrageous jokes all the time and works actively against racism. Some people are able to separate jokes from what is important.

Edit: There are people who make awful jokes about the holocaust, it doesn't mean they are Nazis or anti-semite. Same with disabled jokes, poor people jokes and on and on.

If the intent was blackface, then thats shitty.

If they themselves added the caption, then they're even shittier.

Hopefully this is looked through thoroughly and if the above is true, then im expecting some form of punishment here.

This is why I laugh when people say shit like, "I can't wait till the old racists die out...then we will have social progress."

Those "old racists" had kids, friends.

Why would you even do this. What is there to make fun of? Police violence against minority groups isn't funny.

Because many people are shitty!

In a town I used to live in here in Denmark, about 10 years ago, just when Facebook had gotten traction; we had a case with a group of teens who walked past a "weird" looking man who was walking his dog on their way home from school. They decided to follow him to his house.
They then started pranking him- They took photos of his house, wrote down his address and made a facebook group to watch out for this man saying he was a pedophile- Within a couple of weeks tens of thousands of signatures had been collected and the man was eventually picked up by the police for questioning, but not before being fired from his job.
When the police came to the realization that there was no accusation, no victim or anything, they eventually traced the facebook group back to the teenagers who started the prank, and it turned out- when the kids where asked why they would make up a story like this, that they just thought it would be funny.
I get scared when I see how easy it is to take a photo someone, make a vague offensive caption and then putting it online, with a vast amount of people who will take it at face value.

But I guess the opposite is plauseable as well. "it was just a ghost costume lol. we are not really kkk". I can see how a Cartman-ish defense could be hurdled out. It's a potential mess no matter how you deal with it!

danthefan

I mean, even assuming the caption was added by someone else you'd think people would be smart enough not to take a picture like that

Pls. If this is some sort of beauty treatment type thing, and they didn't add the BLM caption, then they should be free to take all the photos they please.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
deeeeeeeerp

Racism is everywhere, yes, but racists are not evenly distributed between states. Some are definitely more progressive than others.
Sure. But if I hear of any racism news for any particular state I would not be surprised.

Business as usual in america.

But come on, They're students. Pretty much 80% of the students i know and go to school with have the maturity levels of a 12 year old.

Hey now that's racism calling all of those white kids immature 12 year olds. I may not be mad about this event, but imma get super mad when you attack my character. You may be talking about me and I'm not stupid.

Fuck those "kids". They made it racial. Not the people who took offense.

Smh, and people want black folks too sit down and coddle assholes like this

Don't you understand both sides need to stop this nonsense and come together!

Anticol

Banned
I don't have racist friends. I have friends who think they're funny by making jokes about anything. How do we know the sender of the photo didn't add the caption or someone did it later as a joke. We're jumping to too many conclusions as normal. Lets see how this plays out. If the students come out and say it was a racist joke i hope you will accept my apology.

Yes,perfect excuse.

StayDead

Gonna quote this. Should always maintain an innocent until proven guilty mindset. A lot of you are jumping the gun.

This is my position on this as well.

If they added the caption themselves and did this all deliberately then they're really stupid and should be punished. If this was an innocent photo that someone else added the caption to then it's not really their fault.

The Kree

Banned

The caption could have said "We're wearing facial cream as part of a beautification ritual."

It could have said "We fell down in some tar and can't get it off!"

It could have said "We just finished eating each other's asses."

It could have said a lot of things.

Derwind

Jokes that punch down aren't usually all that funny to be honest. It leads to very little, if any, discussion.

But I guess if you're 10 year old university students, we should just laugh at kids being kids being kids....

I fear the day they grow up since they'll more than likely become leaders in their industries and professions.

Edit; Seems like we should eschew criticism until we've interviewed and tried all members involved.

/eyeroll

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I don't get this.
Because they obviously suck each other's assholes at night when it's time for bed? Pretty clear.

/s

This is my position on this as well.

If they added the caption themselves and did this all deliberately then they're really stupid and should be punished. If this was an innocent photo that someone else added the caption to then it's not really their fault.

Ah yes, those innocent days. Reminds me of all those summers spent burning down cork in a metal pan and adorning it on my face as I'd schuck and jive for money on the street corner, to be a kid again! -amirite?

Please, don't be so dense. I even said it isn't a sign of intelligence right there in the same exact sentence. Right after the comma lol

Even if I didn't, the context was clear.
First, don't resort to insults. Second, I disagree that there can be a more "intelligent type of racist" since it's stupid at every pevel. I think you meant more sneaky or casual or diet racism?

Derwind

Is the University Of North Dakota really that prestigious?

Not sure, I'm just assuming that at some percentile you'll have students that go on to be leaders and if the bar is set so low for them that we should precieve them to be just "kids" anytime there is a criticism thrown out about their behaviour, I imagine their professional lives will reflect that behaviour and the lax treatment of it.

StayDead

Because they obviously suck each other's assholes at night when it's time for bed? Pretty clear.

/s

Ah yes, those innocent days. Reminds me of all those summers spent burning down cork in a metal pan and adorning it on my face as I'd schuck and jive for money on the street corner, to be a kid again! -amirite?

They've taken a photo in a face mask. People do this kind of photo all the time without any form of ill intent. The thing causing the problem here is that the facial mask is black in colour and someone (we don't know who) put the caption. There might be ill intent here, but through this one photo and knowing nothing else I can't tell if that's what's happening or not.

Throw the book at them if there is ill intent, but I can't judge people based on thoughts alone, that causes more problems than solves.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well they didn't put the mask on with the intent of doing blackface, it's that stupid charcoal mask thing everybody is doing. The person doing the caption probably thought it would be funny since they all had the masks on. My initial reaction is that they're just being extremely insensitive. Basically they tried to be funny and fucked up. Schools have their own codes of conduct, so whatever happens happens there. I'm not really rooting for everyone to get kicked out permanently over being dumb on Snapchat, but I'd understand if the school made an example out of them so people realize what you put out there can have consequences sometimes.

I think the biggest issue is that I'm not sure you can make a good case for punishing them all. Maybe the person who owns the Snapchat account. But I've taken pictures of people and then just made the caption myself. The masks themselves are definitely a "thing" people are doing now. Hannah Hart from My Drunk Kitchen just did a video with the exact same mask.

Mesousa

Banned
My girlfriend snapped me a pic of her in the charcoal mask just last night. I could have easily put a BLM thing on it for a cheap joke lol.

Are we sure these chicks even labeled it as such?

This is why I laugh when people say shit like, "I can't wait till the old racists die out...then we will have social progress."

Those "old racists" had kids, friends.

Pretty much , it's a never ending cycle.
Joke or not, these women X anyone 30 and under should know that everything can be found online or posted anywhere, no excuse

Fingers

Banned
People who make dumb jokes like that aren't necessarily racist. I know someone who make outrageous jokes all the time and works actively against racism. Some people are able to separate jokes from what is important.

Edit: There are people who make awful jokes about the holocaust, it doesn't mean they are Nazis or anti-semite. Same with disabled jokes, poor people jokes and on and on.

This is exactly what i'm trying to say. People aren't racist because they joke. This is in extremely poor taste however because of all the shootings and other events. But come on we don't crucify people like H3H3 and Idubbbz when they make a lighthearted joke about cancer or call feminists crazy.

jchap

Internet mob in full effect. Perhaps hold off wishing (or worse trying to bring) doom to these people until its confirmed they were the ones that added the caption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom