• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

University of North Dakota students mock BLM in blackface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oppo

the eyes really get me. that dead eyes stare which i suppose is supposed to show the supreme confidence they have in their spectacularly dumb slur.

if you could somehow watch behind the scenes camera footage of them trying various frames and arrangements, carefully selecting the one they thought looked most like a fuckwitted Benetton ad.. man. actually felt my mouse creak when i clicked the thread.

Yeah, I'm not about to join the hate mob here, considering how easy this would have been to fake. Could just be a group of friends in charcoal masks, with the caption added by a troll who got hold of the picture.

I mean, if they did it, shame on them of course, but I prefer to withhold judgement until we know for a fact they did it.

Some girl from Quinnipiac did the same thing and got expelled. Like why would you post this and think it's a good idea?

The potential for it to piss off people/make the people who think like you laugh outweighs the consequences and damage it can do. I'm not sure why ticking off black people is such a hilarious pass time. It's like some really get off on making it known that they have contempt for another race of people.

Damerman

Not everyone is aware of the history of black face, so i'm not gonna be mad at these young kids for making a joke they might have thought to be innocuous. But why do you choose to involve yourself with this kind of joke on social media? Should have been smart enough to know this would have caused a backlash.

They should be prepared to face consequences for being on the wrong side of history. Willful ignorance is dangerous. But who am I kidding, this type of draconian behavior has been going for decades.

That's cold blooded
What is with this response?
The problem with internet scorn is that you had better hope it is accurate.

All the Internet Vigilantes that accused the Quinnipiac University student of being racist last week were nowhere to be seen when it came out that she had no knowledge of the caption that was added to her photo.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...n-college-student-blackface-article-1.2800720

People happily blasted her online, but few admitted their mistake or apologized when it turned out that the subject of the photo was the victim of it all.

If these girls are responsible for adding the caption and the posting of the photo, then they deserve to be criticized. But if they just posed for a photo and someone else added the caption w/o their knowledge, then calling for their lives to be ruined is a bit much, no?
Well that's fucking disgusting then.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Uhh, well I guess my wife is a racist too, because she has worn some face masks for her skin that get pretty close to going "black face".

Has there been a conformation that these 4 women wanted "black lives matter" to be photoshopped onto the image? Or did some alt right person find it and decide to make a terrible joke?

I think we should find that out before trying to destroy these women's lives for doing a group facial.

SaganIsGOAT

I went to school in North Dakota for a couple semesters and the racist shit that left people's mouth is one of the reasons I'm glad I left. They called Native Americans Prairie N*****s. place was fucked culturally.

Uhh, well I guess my wife is a racist too, because she has worn some face masks for her skin that get pretty close to going "black face".

Wait. Your wife puts on a face mask, then post it on social media with the caption "Black Lives Matter" on it? Because if she does? That's totally racist. If she doesn't? Then I'm not sure why you felt that you needed to add her in this conversation, when the issue here is the combination of mask AND caption..

Kudos for calling them women, and not infants like the other weirdos in here tho!

styl3s

I don't have racist friends. I have friends who think they're funny by making jokes about anything. How do we know the sender of the photo didn't add the caption or someone did it later as a joke. We're jumping to too many conclusions as normal. Lets see how this plays out. If the students come out and say it was a racist joke i hope you will accept my apology.

But come on, They're students. Pretty much 80% of the students i know and go to school with have the maturity levels of a 12 year old.
This is why i refuse to immediately take my pitch fork out and burn down their house.

We live in a world where you can easily get access to a out of context picture like this and then make a shit storm by adding a couple words. If they did it shame on them and they should be punished but if they didn't shame on every other fucking person who immediately jumped to conclusions.

bchamba

The actual facial masks aren't an issue and I can't get mad at these people since there's no way of knowing if they put the text there or somebody else did. The bigger issue is people here defending this, under the assumption that these women did do this, with "it's just jokes"and "kids will be kids!"

What else can we use this excuse for? Shoot up a school? Just kids playing with toys! Rape somebody? Kids do the darndest things! Or does this excuse only work for casual racism?

This is why i refuse to immediately take my pitch fork out and burn down their house.

Why would you do this anyway? 😕

The actual facial masks aren't an issue and I can't get mad at these people since there's no way of knowing if they put the text there or somebody else did. The bigger issue is people here defending this, under the assumption that these women did do this, with "it's just jokes"and "kids will be kids!"

What else can we use this excuse for? Shoot up a school? Just kids playing with toys! Rape somebody? Kids do the darndest things! Or does this excuse only work for casual racism?

Heh..excellent question.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Wait. Your wife puts on a face mask, then post it on social media with the caption "Black Lives Matter" on it? Because if she does? That's totally racist. If she doesn't? Then I'm not sure why you felt that you needed to add her in this conversation, when the issue here is the combination of mask AND caption..

How do you know they posted it on social media, or even added black lives matter to it?

I could take a picture of my wife, add "Black Lives Matter" to the pic, and post it on social media without her consent, ruining her life for the foreseeable future, and many in this thread would be fine with it because their first instinct isn't to question, but to rage.

Kudos for calling them women, and not infants like the other weirdos in here tho!

I see four young kids. What do you see?

How do you know they posted it on social media, or even added black lives matter to it?

I could take a picture of my wife, add "Black Lives Matter" to the pic, and post it on social media without her consent and ruin her life and many in this thread would be fine with it because their first instinct isn't to question, but to rage.

Why would you do that to your wife? Also, my comment was towards you stating that your wife must be racist. Not sure where I said I knew anything. So far it's y'all who know for sure it's just kids NOT being racist. I'm not "raging" or "mobbing" with "pitchforks" or whatever other words y'all folks want to throw around, so..

I see four young kids. What do you see?

Baboons..the hell?

I don't know ONE person that called themselves kids at 18+. We demanded respect and made sure people knew we could make our own decisions. This strange "kid" shit to excuse certain things but not others is quiet hilarious..

Yknow

Even if its for skin care reasons

People should stop taking pictures of themselves wearing this type of facial mask

Cause if someone else decided to caption it, theyre fucked.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Why would you do that to your wife? Also, my comment was towards you stating that your wife must be racist. Not sure where I said I knew anything. So far it's y'all who know for sure it's just kids NOT being racist. I'm not "raging" or "mobbing" with "pitchforks" or whatever other words y'all folks want to throw around, so..

I wouldn't but some immature boyfriend could. I used my wife as an example because nothing these women are doing is racist (aka. people in this thread don't know they are wearing face masks for their skin). The comment added to the image is racist, but we have no idea if they had anything to do with it.

So, basically, we can't call them racist, and go into outrage mode, until we know who did what.

Yknow

Even if its for skin care reasons

People should stop taking pictures of themselves wearing this type of facial mask

Cause if someone else decided to caption it, theyre fucked.

SMFH

Only three years now before Lochte is finally out of his teens.

LMAO

Been trying to avoid bringing him up..

I wouldn't but some immature boyfriend could. I used my wife as an example because nothing these women are doing is racist (aka. people in this thread don't know they are wearing face masks for their skin). The comment added to the image is racist, but we have no idea if they had anything to do with it.

So, basically, we can't call them racist, and go into outrage mode, until we know who did what.

If they added the caption, then they were being racist. I know as little as you. I get it. You're mad at the twelve pages of people losing their minds about this picture without the concrete evidence. RAGE

Yep, that's my state making me proud!

/s

I bet your state flag has sambo on it!

tumblr_l3jq5jSLFG1qzab9jo1_400.gif

Palmer_v1

Just when FIFA ended racism, the USA has to go and reinvent the fucking thing not 10 minutes later.

Good job, USA.

All we do is slap the word New in front of things we stole from Europe, while proclaiming ourselves #1 in the world.

Welcome to New Racism!

Population: White people only please.

Baboons..the hell?

I don't know ONE person that called themselves kids at 18+. We demanded respect and made sure people knew we could make our own decisions. This strange "kid" shit to excuse certain things but not others is quiet hilarious..

Why baboons, Gordon? Is there something you need to tell us?

And I feel you're letting a form of social conditioning get in the way of reasoned thought. You're really no better than those who you rally against. Almost equal I'd say.

I mean, just Look at these youngsters, really look at them. Do you see the child-like innocence in their eyes? All they've done is take a picture after having their faces painted at a fair. One kid is even being so bold as to flip the bird to everyone.

She's a rebel at heart. Really very mischievous. One to keep an eye on when she's older for sure.

Concept17

I think you could say this about any state. Racism is still everywhere.
As someone who grew up near the border of ND in Montana I can tell you many, many people there are racists. It's anecdotal of course, but it's incredibly more prominent than where I live now. Also part of the reason i left the area.

Palmer_v1

More seriously, my wife is a UND alum. Met her when I was in the Air Force stationed at Grand Forks.

I know that a buddy of mine, Brandon, kind of hated it there because he was black, and he'd get stared at sometimes. There was never overt racism, afaik, just ignorance because in a lot of cases, he was literally the first black man they had ever seen in person. It's like he was a fucking unicorn.

The ND demographics:

White American: 90.0% (88.7% non-Hispanic white)
Native American: 5.4%
Black or African American: 1.2%
Asian: 1.0%
Pacific Islander: 0.1%
Some other race: 0.5%
Multiracial American: 0.2%

I guess I don't really have a point to make, except I lay the blame here to their ignorance, which can hopefully be remedied.

Kinyou

The caption is on some real MS Paint level. Don't know if that makes it more or less likely that it was added by them

Have they been expelled yet?

They won't be. There's not enough evidence, unless they confess.

It's possible they are wearing face masks and someone who got their snap decided to add the black lives matter comment to create some outage.

I don't believe this to be the case, the smugness on display is enough to convince me this is deliberate, but we can't rule it out either.

You really think a lot on this forum care? You can get vilified if you say people should wait to form an opinion until a more complete picture can be painted of a potentially "egregious" event.

Absolutely valid points though.

Yes because the events that this particular line is being used for are ones that deserve no benefit of the doubt... Considering the people who are being killed are given none sooooo yes, the idea of innocent before guilty when it comes to those situations are just not feasible imo or equal but that's an entirely different conversation.

For this though, if they were "set up" without their knowing then that's fucked up. I brushed this off as "white girls doing racist stuff news at a 11" when I originally came in but this new news is important. Of course it's hard to verify if that's the case but it's not in my interest to be terribly upset to want them punished and their lives ruined because I'm not that low. So hopefully they are able to get away from this label that they really aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom