• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Tournament 3 - PS3 exclusive

RumFore

Banned
Good and I have a 360 and not a PS3. Pull that charge-for-every-damn thing-carpet from under MS. They would have raped us with maps Epic would have given the PC community like they did past UT's.

Xabora

PC Version = Superior

Plus when I start making maps for this, don't expect me to test it on on the PS3 for framerate issues.

lockload

Strange decision by epic if true to ratio of 360's to PS3's is so high they are potentally losing $25m as game never sells as well after the holiday season, youd think gears selling 3m in littel over a month would tell them that..

Razoric

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Huh? If this is true and the reason is based on Epic trying to squeeze MS into opening up its online business model to user generated content, it'd be a good thing for gamers.

I guess I didn't fix it enough, my mistake. I was more or less commenting on MS bad business practices when it comes to their closed networks... which is bad for gamers.

Epic should stick it to MS more.

Sony fanboys call off your attacks please. :)

besada

Banned
Mesijs said:
Ehm, 4 pages and no source...?

Or am I missing something?

Well, four pages of rampant speculation and dick measuring, but no, you're not missing the source because it's apparently some old retailer, and you know how trustworthy those guys are.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Good thing the PS3 version supports mouse/keyboard. I can't imagine trying to play UT on a controller.

Why would you have difficultly playing a console with a controller? Every game that comes out on a console should be designed with a controller in mind. Many people who game on console don't have desk and mouse pad set up for a keyboard and mouse. It has been shown many times that all types of genres can be accomadated on a console as long as they are designed properly. After seeing Epics work on Gears I think that the controller should work fine for UT as well.

The Dark One

Busty

Banned
hkhawk said:
That makes a lot of sense. I agree with what you are saying. I think it makes good business sense for Epic to follow such a strategy. Devs already know that UE3 looks awesome on the 360 but haven't really seen a complete game using the engine on PS3 yet. The PS3 might get a timed exclusive with this game because Epic is diverting resources to the console in order to show off what they can do on the PS3 as soon as possible. This benefits Epic financially so I doubt Sony will have to pay anything for this. Epic can also try to loosen MS's restrictions on DLC while at it. This makes a lot of sense.

I was just thinking from the perspective that EPIC's business of selling the Unreal3 engine to seemingly almost every developer in the world is probably a bigger money spinner for them than games at the current moment. Even with Gears.. massive success.

I just think that people saw the word exclusive and then all hell broke loose.

DSN2K

you know I think this could be a smart move for both platforms, 360 owners are gonna be tied up with Halo 3 this fall so it may be wise to move it away from that regardless and the PS3 owners will likely be more open to an "exclusive" title.

seb

Banned
(neutral) DarkMage619
THE DUMB ONE
(Today, 10:34 PM)
Reply | Quote

:lol Where did you get that ? I'd like to read that thread!

DarkMage619 said:
Why would you have difficultly playing a console with a controller? Every game that comes out on a console should be designed with a controller in mind. Many people who game on console don't have desk and mouse pad set up for a keyboard and mouse. It has been shown many times that all types of genres can be accomadated on a console as long as they are designed properly. After seeing Epics work on Gears I think that the controller should work fine for UT as well.

The Dark One

The game is designed for play with keyboard and mouse, as it always has been. Unless they are delivering an entirely different game with the same name, it's going to be a game that is designed for play with keyboard and mouse, but with massive amounts of assists and possibly lower game speed to tune it to a controller. Your comparison to Gears of War is useless as that game was, in fact, designed for play with a controller. Not to mention that it operates at a far slower pace.

Firewire

Banned
All of this is so unfair, how the hell am I supposed to play

UT3
Warhawk
Haze
Little Big Planet
and possibly MGS & others this fall, I have a life you know! F'n ba*tards! And I only make so much coin between bills!

PleoMax

Banned
DarkMage619 said:

The Dark One

Why do do you sign your posts?

I can already picture you wearing a Batman costume with a cape and shit, posting on gaf. "HMMMM THE DARK ONE, fighting evil one post at a time"

Scum

Mesijs said:

neogaf_dude.gif

Onix said:
Based on the OP, the lack of modding is apparently MS's decision (fears of Live issues w/ hacking, etc) ...

... and no keyboard/mouse has always been MS's position.
Well MS shouldn't really fear anyone since they're pretty heavy on the banstick anyways.

Besides.... I find it funny that "PC Gamers" bitch and moan about a console game getting released on MULTIPLE platforms and then scurry off to their kb/ms and state THEY are the superior gamers.

I think it's time people cut the umbilical cord to those damn things because honestly, a game like Gears of War proves that you don't need a kb/ms to be a good gamer.

hkhawk

Banned
Busty said:
I was just thinking from the perspective that EPIC's business of selling the Unreal3 engine to seemingly almost every developer in the world is probably a bigger money spinner for them than games at the current moment. Even with Gears.. massive success.

I just think that people saw the word exclusive and then all hell broke loose.

Exactly my thoughts, I couldn't agree more. I think its funny that people are saying things like

Strange decision by epic if true to ratio of 360's to PS3's is so high they are potentally losing $25m as game never sells as well after the holiday season, youd think gears selling 3m in littel over a month would tell them that..

I am sure that Epic makes A LOT more money licensing UE3 than actually selling games. UT3 will be the first showcase of what UE3 can do on the PS3 so I am sure that they are putting a lot of effort into it. Bringing out UT3 on the PS3 ASAP and running as smoothly as possible will make Epic a lot more money in the long run than having UT3 out on 360 this winter.

Thermite

lockload said:
Listen to the podcast from the 8th june http://www.oxmpodcast.com/ they mention it on there they had a new preview a few days before

did you even click the link and read the thread? I've had the magazine (along with several others), with the Unreal Tournament 3 preview blowout, for almost a month now. considering it takes at least takes them at least 2-3 weeks to write up all the articles, get them edited, ect. it's been at least a month since OXM has played Unreal Tournament 3.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Razoric said:
I guess I didn't fix it enough, my mistake. I was more or less commenting on MS bad business practices when it comes to their closed networks... which is bad for gamers.

Epic should stick it to MS more.

Sony fanboys call off your attacks please. :)

The cannons were moving in on you :lol

AnIco

I'm sceptical, but it makes sense after the last GDC and Sony's so called Game 2.0 initiative.

I can't think of anything worse than allowing keyboard & mouse on a console though, as it would skew rankings between those who use a keyboard & mouse and those who use a joypad.

squicken

Mesijs said:

I was wondering the same thing. Usually by now a mod comes in and makes a little joke out of the thread title if it's some rumor.

womfalcs3

Banned
Xabora said:
PC Version = Superior

Plus when I start making maps for this, don't expect me to test it on on the PS3 for framerate issues.

Why?

- In terms of hardware, the game will be made to take advantage of the PS3 hardware.

- You can use KB/M on the PS3 version.

Aisenherz

Banned
seb said:
(neutral) DarkMage619
THE DUMB ONE
(Today, 10:34 PM)
Reply | Quote

:lol Where did you get that ? I'd like to read that thread!

=

DarkMage619 said:

The Dark One

VictimOfGrief said:
I think it's time people cut the umbilical cord to those damn things because honestly, a game like Gears of War proves that you don't need a kb/ms to be a good gamer when playing a game designed for a gamepad

Fixed for you there.

Unreal Tournament is very fast and twitchy and is a natural fit to the precise aiming of the KB/Mouse combo. It's not like the FPS games that console players are used to-people move like they are running at or above top human runspeed, and not like some mech or old dude in a supersuit that just crapped his pants.

Gears of War is meandering in comparison. It's not a better or worse game, and the players who play it aren't better or worse gamers, but to say that "hey look gamepads work for Gears of War, they'll work for UT as well!, die mice and keyboards" and not understand some of the base design choices of UT, well, that's a shortsighted and IMO inaccurate statement. Unless you want to totally slow down and Gears-ify Unreal Tournament's gameplay, which would be a terrible thing.

Anything that plunger ****s Microsoft's microtransaction business model is OK by me.

Amen. That stuff needs to die before anyone else tries to copy it.

spwolf

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, if there is one game that proves the mouse/keyboard superiority theory, it's UT. The game is incredibly fast paced and I don't believe a mouse and keyboard nor a Wii-mote is fast enough to handle it properly.

dark10x said:
Yeah, if there is one game that proves the mouse/keyboard superiority theory, it's UT. The game is incredibly fast paced and I don't believe a mouse and keyboard nor a Wii-mote is fast enough to handle it properly.

The real question is, will you get the necessary edit in before or after my post hits the thread?

PleoMax said:
Why do do you sign your posts?

I can already picture you wearing a Batman costume with a cape and shit, posting on gaf. "HMMMM THE DARK ONE, fighting evil one post at a time"

Why do artists sign their paintings? Why do politicians have to state who they are and why they endorse the message that preceed their statment? I means I said the above message and its a way of identifing my message in a sea of others. Does that make me dumb. The mods here and many others think so. Will I lose any sleep over it? Probably.

The Dark One

YYZ

devilscallmedad said:
offtopic ( i can't make new threads because I made one too many stupid threads :( )

Halo Wars is listed as UE3???
Thanks for letting us know, but I'm not sure about the Halo Wars part.

As for the exclusivity (if it is indeed true), I was planning to get it on the PC anyway. It's a PC franchise first.

PleoMax

Banned
DarkMage619 said:
Why do artists sign their paintings? Why do politicians have to state who they are and why they endorse the message that preceed their statment? I means I said the above message and its a way of identifing my message in a sea of others. Does that make me dumb. The mods here and many others think so. Will I lose any sleep over it? Probably.

The Dumb One

fixed

Busty

Banned
DarkMage619 said:

The Dark One

Ahhh my head, I can't take it anymore. Imagine if everyone started signing their posts. This whole forum would become unbearable. It's not cool, it's not funny, just stop it OK?

That is all.

:p

Top Bottom