• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Urusei Yatsura (DS!!!!)

olimario

Banned
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050912/urusei.htm

urusei07.jpg
urusei08.jpg
urusei10.jpg
urusei11.jpg

urusei23.jpg

urusei19.jpg
urusei20.jpg
urusei21.jpg

urusei22.jpg

:lol
:)

Tellaerin

olimario said:
The artwork is!

I'm not a big Rumiko Takahashi fan, but her art's anything but generic. I always thought you had shitty taste in art, Oli, but you've just flushed any last shred of credibility you might have had.

olimario

Banned
Tellaerin said:
I'm not a big Rumiko Takahashi fan, but her art's anything but generic. I always thought you had shitty taste in art, Oli, but you've just flushed any last shred of credibility you might have had.

But really, This artwork looks ripped from a 1980s "Create your own anime character" book. The one where you're given the same face and you're to add crazy colored hair and robot arms!

This is generic.
Schoolgirl... CHECK!
Girl in bikini with crazy hair... CHECK!
Edgy girl with robot limbs... CHECK!
Serious girl in traditional japanese garb... CHECK!

Looks like about a thousand other japanocrap drawings I've seen.

Dead

well not really...yet
olimario said:
Shitty taste in art? Really? Alright.
But really, This artwork looks ripped from a 1980s "Create your own anime character" book. The one where you're given the same face and you're to add crazy colored hair and robot arms!
It is from the 80s.....hell even late 70s...for the manga...

Shouta

Urusei Yatsura IS from the 80s (October 14, 1981 to be exact) and it basically defined an entire decade of animation in Japan if you ask me. All that shit that's considered 80s generic was taken from this series.

G-Fex

I'd like a dating game featuring the girls of azumanga daioh. (excluding chiyo-chan) and you can play as the perverted teacher guy.

That Or love hina. I hate that nerdy guy so much.

olimario

Banned
Shouta said:
Urusei Yatsura IS from the 80s (October 14, 1981 to be exact) and it basically defined an entire decade of animation in Japan if you ask me. All that shit that's considered 80s generic was taken from this series.

So he pioneered the shitty anime art from the 80s? That's like being the guy who created the Jabber Jaw cartoons and who pioneered Josie and the Pussycats.

Anyhow, here is some artwork I like.
http://www.froghatstudios.com/art/queen.jpg
more
http://www.froghatstudios.com/art/mo_sun.jpg
more
http://jay-t.com/public/gaf/bof3.jpg
and pretty much anything by andrew jones

HomerSimpson-Man said:
It's Oli, doesn't matter he would spout things even if he doesn't have a f'ing clue what he's talking about.

DUR DUR DUR HE DISAGREES WITH ME DUR DUR DUR
So the anime was good. The artwork still looks shitty to me. Do I have to have some profound understanding of the series before I can comment on the artwork I'm seeing?

cabel

olimario said:
Shitty taste in art? Really? Alright.
But really, This artwork looks ripped from a 1980s "Create your own anime character" book.

I'm no anime fan -- honestly, how many magic robots, embarassed teenagers, and mysterious bioflavinoids does the world need? -- but I do know "Lum".

So, two things:

1. You're right -- Ususei Yatsura (Lum) ran from 1981 to 1986 on Television. So, indeed, it should look like a 1980's book -- it was indeed designed in the 80's.

2. And I'd wager most of the anime cliches you mention, in fact, originated here.

Hope this helps.

(I swear to god I played this game on the TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM, with a Japanese exchange student we had at the time. "Uh, she said, I want to sleep with you right now", he'd awkwardly translate for me.)

[Edit: late, because I blab too damn much. Sorry.]

Ben Sones

olimario said:

This is sort of like when kids read Tolkien and complain that it's too generic, because it's so much like all those other books in the fantasy section. Er, yeah.

Seriously--stop embarassing yourself.

I guess to an inexerienced anime fan, Lum might look generic.

When I think of generic anime, this is the kind of thing that comes to mind:

300x200.jpg

You can't really say this style looks like any one artist's style. It looks completely devoid of personality.

Good anime styles are the ones that I look at and can immediately know the artist, or the artist where the inspiration was drawn from.

For example:

B00005HLG9.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is art by Kenichi Sonoda. His style was very popular in the late 80's, and can be seen in many popular classics like Gunsmith Cats, Bubblegum Crisis, and Gall Force.

nonsolo_logo.jpg

This is art by Akemi Takada, another artist who's style has remained popular for the last 20 years or so. Her art can be found in such series as Creamy Mami, Kimagure Orange Road, Twilight Q, and Patlabor.

Both artists have a very unique, eye-pleasing style hardly found in your normal generic anime or Japanese game today.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Yes! Lum! lol Rock on. Just gimme a Maison Ikkoku game while they're at it and I'll be happy. =) (Hey, it was on PC Engine...why not? =D)

this is incredibly retarded even by Olimario's high standards.

THAT'S LUM!

jesus christ I don't like anime and have never seen an episode of Urusei Yatsura in my life and I know who Lum is :p

fresquito

olimario said:

This is generic.
Schoolgirl... CHECK!
Girl in bikini with crazy hair... CHECK!
Edgy girl with robot limbs... CHECK!
Serious girl in traditional japanese garb... CHECK!

Looks like about a thousand other japanocrap drawings I've seen.
Maybe she was one of the most influential authors back in the eighties? She was never about drawing, but creating interesting stories/characters. Anyway, calling her stuff generic is like saying Hitchcock is generic just because he´s been copied a bazillion times :lol

MadFuzzy

nine words said:
Maybe she was one of the most influential authors back in the eighties?

And the 90s (Ranma 1/2), and she's *still* writing even now (Inu Yasha), although to be fair she doesn't half milk/drag out her popular titles.

fresquito

MadFuzzy said:
And the 90s (Ranma 1/2), and she's *still* writing even now (Inu Yasha), although to be fair she doesn't half milk/drag out her popular titles.
I know, I know, I just was replying to his comment about generic 80s art style. Anyway, she has lost quite a bit of her "influence" in the last decade, not to say her work isn´t amazing now, but the industry has taken a turn or two or three by now.

MadFuzzy

nine words said:
I know, I know, I just was replying to his comment about generic 80s art style. Anyway, she has lost quite a bit of her "influence" in the last decade, not to say her work isn´t amazing now, but the industry has taken a turn or two or three by now.

No offence intended man, I just wanted to highlight the general retardness of the thread that little bit more. She's much less of a big deal creatively now than she was 10 or 15 years ago that's true.

Juice

The Shadow said:
Ooohh! Look what google turned up.

http://www.alisakiss.com/

BEHOLD!

I looked at her in spite of the command not to. Probably because of the command.

If you guys wanna have a discussion about "generic" art, feel free to click the link and commence.

p.s. I came in here not knowing what Lum was, because I don't like anime at all; when you all briefed us on how important (/near and dear to you) the series was, I guess it made more sense... just wanted to chime in that to the casual observer in 2005 who doesn't give two shits about anime, this stuff looks pretty "generic" from the random snippets of anime I've caught over the years.

Shouta

MadFuzzy said:
No offence intended man, I just wanted to highlight the general retardness of the thread that little bit more. She's much less of a big deal creatively now than she was 10 or 15 years ago that's true.

It is true that she is a lot less influential than she used to be but she still is an icon in the anime world. Anyone that knows a little bit about anime in general (barring first timers) will have heard of her or have seen one of her series.

p.s. I came in here not knowing what Lum was, because I don't like anime at all; when you all briefed us on how important (/near and dear to you) the series was, I guess it made more sense... just wanted to chime in that to the casual observer in 2005 who doesn't give two shits about anime, this stuff looks pretty "generic" from the random snippets of anime I've caught over the years.

Not knowing about anime isn't really the problem, it's olimario's attitude that gets people to jump on him. The thread title screams it.

SKOPE

I read about this game when the DS was announced, but I still don't get it.

Didn't Ms. Takahashi refuse to allow additional Urusei Yatsura projects after the disaster that was Always My Darling? (The much delayed and finally released in 1994 Mega CD game Dear My Friends doesn't count because it was, well, much delayed.) What's changed since then?

And I do have to say, Lum and company have been drawn better in the past. Much better than this. These pics make even the final direct to video specials look good.
n-off said:
That's the point of Urusei Yatsura. It perfected the perverted boy tries to have sex with every girl he sees and always fails cliche now common in Japanese cartoons and comics.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So first Olimario thinks that Landstalker is a generic Zelda clone, and now he thinks Urusei Yatsura is a "generic anime dating game?"

:lol

Cheerilee

Oli sucks for not knowing anything about Rumiko Takahashi. However I must thank him for making a thread for a game as awesome as this.

This game wins on many levels, and NEEDS to be localized, ASAP.

SonicMegaDrive said:
Hey, if Sailor Moon had that artstyle, it might actually be worth watching!
You should mean "reading". The manga is less "generic" in many ways.

ourumov

I didn't care about the LandStalker thing but hell...Urusei Yatsura is quite probably my favourite anime ever. It's everything but generic by the time it came out. You deserve Mendo Sotaru to give you a lesson.

etiolate

Banned
Have you seriously never heard of Ranma 1/2? Or any of her stuff? If I drop you in hot water do you magically transform from a boy back into a douchebag?

Top Bottom