• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Urusei Yatsura (DS!!!!)

Porridge said:
Urusei Yatsuura 2: Beautiful Dreamer is one of my favorite movies and I'm not a big anime buff.

Yeah, that's an amazing movie. Too bad the rest of the movies are nowhere near as good.

ourumov

Sea Manky said:
Uh, as an Urusei Yatsura fan I'd like to clear up a misconception here. UY is not like modern romantic lonely-boy anime at all. In those kind of series, the main character is nerdy but kindhearted, and is inexplicably surrounded by cute girls who might dislike him at first, but they all end up falling for his simple goodness in spite of numerous misunderstandings and, er excuse me

>retches violently<

Anyway, in UY, Ataru is scum. He's selfish, perverted, cowardly, hypocritical, underhanded, and vile. All the cute girls in the show (along with all the boys too,) hate his guts. The sole exception to this is Lum, who he keeps trying to get away from. UY is pretty much non-stop pun-riddled slapstick comedy, and really bears no resemblance to the typical romantic fanservice-ridden 1 loser guy+5 billion lolitas lonely otaku bait that's clogging the shelves currently. I blame Tenchi Myuo for that shit. :p

Sorry for the insufferable nerd lecture, but when someone says that UY started the genre Love fuckin Hina is in, I feel all crawly. :{

I couldn't have said it better :)

What I love from UY is that some episodes make absolutelly no sense...With Sakurenbo and the Cat appearing there without any kind of reason...and that's what I like :) Another thing is that all the characters are pretty fun, specially Ataru's "friends" and their comments.
One of the best series ever :)

SpoonyBard said:
Yeah, that's an amazing movie. Too bad the rest of the movies are nowhere near as good.

I do enjoy the others, though they're pretty much just extended episodes.

Beatiful Dreamer has to be one of the greatest anime movies ever, period. That's a pretty tough one to top, and really shouldn't be used as a barometer.

Endymion

Jesus, today I think I have heard it all. Calling one of the most creative, original, inspiring, bizarre, amusing anime of all time 'generic' is nothing less than a crime.

Endymion said:
Jesus, today I think I have heard it all. Calling one of the most creative, original, inspiring, bizarre, amusing anime of all time 'generic' is nothing less than a crime.

Heh, I think Oli is losing the ballgame 99 to 1 at this point. ;)

Tortfeasor

Porridge said:
Urusei Yatsuura 2: Beautiful Dreamer is one of my favorite movies and I'm not a big anime buff.

This is one of the best pieces of Anime I have ever seen. You all owe it to yourself to go find this on DVD and watch it. You really don't have to be familiar with the series to get something out of it.

Danj

Endymion said:

I think if olimario wasn't banned his next thread would probably end up calling Super Robot Wars J a "generic giant robots game".

(For those of you not familiar with the Super Robot Wars franchise, the games basically take a couple of original characters and mechs and embroil them in some huge, Solar-system-spanning plot together with a host of licensed characters and mechs from well known or classic giant robot anime series. Parts of the plot often involve scenes which resemble those in the anime from which the characters are drawn, but you can choose to play it differently if you wish. These games will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever make it to the West because of the licensing complexity involved. Which is a shame, since they're cool.)

Danj said:
I think if olimario wasn't banned his next thread would probably end up calling Super Robot Wars J a "generic giant robots game".

(For those of you not familiar with the Super Robot Wars franchise, the games basically take a couple of original characters and mechs and embroil them in some huge, Solar-system-spanning plot together with a host of licensed characters and mechs from well known or classic giant robot anime series. Parts of the plot often involve scenes which resemble those in the anime from which the characters are drawn, but you can choose to play it differently if you wish. These games will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever make it to the West because of the licensing complexity involved. Which is a shame, since they're cool.)

Yes, but they don't have one with Golion/Voltron yet. :(

In honor of this thread, I've made this 'generic' image. ;)

lum2csmall.png

Koshiba

Wow, noticed more people with Urusei Yatsura avatars. That's great. :lol If you can tell, I have Lum in my avatar also. Urusei Yatsura is my absolute most favorite anime ever. As for the DS game, I really want to get it even though I haven't been able to pick up a DS yet. But it's Lum, I need to! :)

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Cheers to this thread being the camel-breaker on the banning. UY is one of the best sitcoms (and that is what it is at heart) ever made, and features what I consider to be the absolute best ensemble cast ever. My favorite thing about the show is that the characters transcend the subject matter enough that the very occasional touching moments still work despite taking place between people that primarily beat the living shit out of each other on a daily basis. The Christmas episode in which Ataru stops Lum from flying home and instead asks her to walk with him and nearly all of Beautiful Dreamer are prime examples.

The earlier DVD sets are more or less out of print by now, but if you can get hold of them, do so. The OVA discs are also quite good.

Top Bottom