• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US/CAN Club Nintendo Thread: New and improved. Read the OP.

zroid

Banned
And say what you will, but the Platinum prizes this year are a hell of a lot better than the pin set.

The best thing about the pins was the presentation. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that they'll be able to wow me in the same way with a pack of cards or a tube of posters. Ah well.

This is a great year to be Gold though. My friend is going to be thrilled.

Tadale

Prizes aren't great this year – I really loved the statue they had a couple of years back. Would be great if they tossed in one of those games with platinum rewards.

ghostmind

Sony and Microsoft fans gets nothing. If you bought 600$ of games and consoles for these rewards, even partially for these rewards, you have a problem. To me they are just little bonuses. Of course, I'd like great stuff like in Japan, but Japan is a small country (size, not population) and shipping stuff is probably a lot more expansive in North America. Which is probably why the rewards are not as good.

Incorrect. As a member of the Xbox Rewards program, I've recieved MS points throughout the year to buy whatever I want, and its sounding like they might be expanding the program in the near future.

Also, as a member of Playstation GAP, I used to get tons of free stuff from Sony, including physical items, free games and beta invites.

EDIT: And I forgot about my old Xbox Diamond Card, which used to get me free food, discounts on shoes and all sorts of random crap.

I look at it like this, this my reward for buying NEW nintendo games. Without decent CN prizes I have zero incentive to buy new and this is basically exactly what I dont want.
I wasnt thrilled about the pins either but they were unique and look 1/2 decent packaged and propped up on a shelf....this stuff is crap and pretty much puts me to start buying used.

If theres a CN item i want bad (like the pouches or game case) ill just buy off ebay/craigslist with money saved on buying used and not deal with tedious surveys

b3b0p

FINALLY the gifts are revealled!

...and I see everyone complaining? Really? Not only do we get the option of FOUR different games and a calendar, but cards, which about rivals every other platinum gift, but we get posters. POSTERS.

NOT JUST ANY POSTERS.

But Skyward Sword, Kid Icarus, and Luigi's Mansion, some of the best posters they could've picked.

AND YOU GUYS ARE COMPLAINING???? Damn.

I don't see how anyone can complain with these posters. Even if you don't want the posters theres so many damn options. Its so awesome that theres just so many options. Not just the added games, but also two physical platinum gifts.

Thanks Nintendo! You won't get any complaining from me this year. Those posters are mine!

What? You sound like a terrible suck up.

I'm only annoyed by the people bitching and moaning liked spoiled brats. It's fine people don't like the prizes, but to complain, whine, and repeat... Get. Over. It. You at least got points and free shit for registering your games.

Marcel

I only just made Platinum status for next year and I'm really glad I waited considering they're giving out table scraps from the merchandise warehouse. Of course, next year could be a Mario tissue box cover or something so I may not be any better off.

Hero

They should announce the Platinum Prize at the beginning of the Club Nintendo year and see what happens when people actually have an informed decision about acquiring 600 dollars worth of merchandise over the year.

Except this isn't supposed to be an incentive. Unless you're buying games not to play them but just to get coins, which is.. well, no offense, but it's a bit absurd!

It's like this: you don't go and buy a case of Coke Zero, harvest the bottle caps for Rewards points, pour the beverage down the drain, and then get pissed when I can't redeem my points for something of equal value to my purchases. It's a nice bonus - a little something extra for being a customer.

They should announce the Platinum Prize at the beginning of the Club Nintendo year and see what happens when people actually have an informed decision about acquiring 600 dollars worth of merchandise over the year.

I get the feeling that platinum prize depends on how much leftover Club nintendo japan had from the past year lol. Hope not.

Kind of sad people are buying some games only for coins , kind of like buying games because its easy to get achievements on xbox .

Somnid

Can't decide if I want posters or cards. They both look good to me.

Gold prizes have really improved this year.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So when will Club Nintendo USA pries = Club Nintendo Japan prizes?

I didn't reach platinum but looks like I wouldn't have wanted any of the prizes really. They could have least put soundtracks up as prizes.

zroid

Banned

Anyone who actually buys Nintendo products for the Club Nintendo rewards is nothing short of a buffoon. If anything, they are playing right into Nintendo's money-grubbing paws.

Rewards are "rewards" and nothing more. Not incentives.

The argument that we are paying $600 for a Platinum reward is old and tired. If that's you, you seriously might need to rethink your spending habits.

Except this isn't supposed to be an incentive.

whether it is supposed to be or not doesnt matter....it is to me.
I buy most my handheld games used if i can except for Nintendo just for the coins just so I can get some of the unique items CN offers. Take away that im going used. Am i being absurd??? OK maybe but that doesnt change anything.

CN no different then any other company offering incentives for using them...its marketing

bluehat9

They should have made the 3DS game case that everyone used their coins to get the platinum prize for more trolling.

aparisi2274

Once again Nintendo USA lets down its fans with these lame ass prizes...

I spend so much money per year on their games and I get rewarded with playing cards or a poster set?

Just once I would like to get a controller, or a cool SMB pillow or something that has some sort of value that justifies the amount of money I spend in a year.

I mean no offense, but a pack of playing cards that probably costs them $.75 to make is not really worth me spending hundreds of dollars on their games.

At least the Super Mario Figurine statue from a couple of years ago was nice.

C'Mon Nintendo, you are better than this!!!

zroid

Banned
Since this "discussion" invariably happens every single year, I am going to bow out at this juncture. Enjoy being mad, guys!

ghostmind

My problem is that if you are going to run this program, then at least put a little effort into it. The statue from a couple years back is an example of a loyalty reward done right - that thing (and its cool coin block box) have been a fixture in my son's bedroom for a couple years now.

NOA just isn't trying - that "Dot Mario Cushion" from last year's Nintendo Japan reward would have been appreciated.

3743304664_a90f24c60c.jpg

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Seriously? Cards, posters or fucking VC games that were already offered?

Get fucked, NoA. Get fucked hard.

It is absolutely ridiculous that they have the audacity to offer people who have spent 600 dollars on Nintendo products such disappointing prizes when Japan and Europe get consistently excellent prizes.
Xpijw.gif

rpmurphy

When the prizes show up on the site again, someone should make a new thread.

EDIT: ^^ I thought that Europe doesn't have the Elite status program?

watershed

Banned
My problem is that if you are going to run this program, then at least put a little effort into it. The statue from a couple years back is an example of a loyalty reward done right - that thing (and its cool coin box) have been a fixture in my son's bedroom for a couple years now.

NOA just isn't trying - that "Dot Mario Cushion" from last year's Nintendo Japan reward would have been appreciated.

You may not like this year's platinum rewards but in terms of effort put into the Club Nintendo program don't forget this year we've had the addition of monthly games for coins. Also the selection of rewards is greater this year. They also redesigned the site to make it easier to use. In my view this has been a great year for Club Nintendo.

Wow, the sense of entitlement in this thread is literally amazing. Sorry that Nintendo's free customer loyalty program isn't up to your lofty standards. No, you can't get back the hour of your life it took you to make platinum this year, and every complainer will still claim their reward that they don't even deserve. Do I wish the choices were better? Sure, I always wish everything was better everywhere at all times (!) but I also realize the logistics it takes to manage a program like this. Remember how long it took for us to even get one? I honestly think the cards and posters are really cool, but what do I know. Show me another company in this industry with ANYTHING on the scale of Club Nintendo and then we can have a real talk.

I get where I am, and I get the audience, but I will never be one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Hero

Except this isn't supposed to be an incentive. Unless you're buying games not to play them but just to get coins, which is.. well, no offense, but it's a bit absurd!

It's like this: you don't go and buy a case of Coke Zero, harvest the bottle caps for Rewards points, pour the beverage down the drain, and then get pissed when I can't redeem my points for something of equal value to my purchases. It's a nice bonus - a little something extra for being a customer.

How the fuck is Club Nintendo not an incentive? You think it just comes from the goodness of Iwata's or Reggie's hearts? Why do you think they offer coin bonuses for Intend To Buy or registering a game within its first month of release? It's a marketing research ploy disguised as a loyalty program. There is nothing inherently wrong about that. But when the prizes continue to be shit it begins to lack incentive to register the games.

Wow, the sense of entitlement in this thread is literally amazing. Sorry that Nintendo's free customer loyalty program isn't up to your lofty standards. No, you can't get back the hour of your life it took you to make platinum this year, and every complainer will still claim their reward that they don't even deserve. Do I wish the choices were better? Sure, I always wish everything was better everywhere at all times (!) but I also realize the logistics it takes to manage a program like this. Remember how long it took for us to even get one? I honestly think the cards and posters are really cool, but what do I know. Show me another company in this industry with ANYTHING on the scale of Club Nintendo and then we can have a real talk.

I get where I am, and I get the audience, but I will never be one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

You know what, you're right. The logistics of Nintendo spending some money for some half-decent rewards for Club Nintendo Platinum members is ridiculously absurd. I don't know how Nintendo manages to develop a console, handheld, games for both of those and Club Nintendo at the same time. Opened up my eyes right here. I want to use my points to help Nintendo develop a unified account system faster. That would actually be a relevant Platinum Reward though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I knew it wouldn't be the Pillow.

But man, didn't realize it'd be this terrible.
Oh well, will claim the cards.

backlot

I don't know if I should choose the cards or the posters. I also kind of want Metroid 2 but I feel like I should choose one of the platinum prizes.

jayb

Once again Nintendo USA lets down its fans with these lame ass prizes...

I spend so much money per year on their games and I get rewarded with playing cards or a poster set?

Just once I would like to get a controller, or a cool SMB pillow or something that has some sort of value that justifies the amount of money I spend in a year.

I mean no offense, but a pack of playing cards that probably costs them $.75 to make is not really worth me spending hundreds of dollars on their games.

At least the Super Mario Figurine statue from a couple of years ago was nice.

C'Mon Nintendo, you are better than this!!!

lol, please tell me you weren't buying all those games primarily to get these rewards.

ghostmind

Really? Really???

I've already provided two examples (Microsoft's Rewards Program and the now-defunct Playstation G.A.P.), but let me add another - Valve (Steam actually) with its invites to betas, discounts on games, free games and hats!

I realize that Nintendo fans are passionately loyal to the company, but please take the blinders off.

backlot

Really? Really???

I've already provided two examples (Microsoft's Rewards Program and the now-defunct Playstation G.A.P.), but let me add another - Valve (Steam actually) with its invites to betas, discounts on games, free games and hats!

I realize that Nintendo fans are passionately loyal to the compant, but please take the blinders off.

Yeah, Nintendo! Where's the hats?

Really? Really???

I realize that Nintendo fans are passionately loyal to the company, but please take the blinders off.
None of those examples are on the same scale as Club Nintendo. GAP doesn't exist. I'm an avid Xbox Rewards member and have earned around $2 since that program launched. I'm also not aware of any Steam loyalty program and I'm a pretty hardcore user (I have around 300 games in my account currently). There are no blinders here, sir. Was also a former GAP member if you want to get right down to it!

ghostmind

Mii Plaza.

Now if i could just trade them or sell them for 10000$

People would go nuts over unique Mii items for the Plaza, only available to Platinum (and Gold) level.

If NOA aren't going to make the effort on the physical side of things, then maybe they should consider it on the digital side once the WiiU is out.

EDIT: Here's something that NOA could have done this year that would have at least felt like they were trying a make a deal out of getting status without spending a lot. Why not send everyone that achieves status a unique character for their 3DS Streetpass Mii Plaza? Give him/her special stats or abilities and a unique outfit with a "thank-you" message. I don't think that would be terribly difficult or costly for NOA.

People would go nuts over unique Mii items for the Plaza, only available to Platinum (and Gold) level.

If NOA aren't going to make the effort on the physical side of things, then maybe they should consider it on the digital side once the WiiU is out.

LOL Nintendo aint built to handle the world of unique digital item buying/trading. We still got Friend codes could you imagine them trying to run 1/2 of a tf2 hat system.

But i agree people would go insane for that limited edition Daisy crown

lol, please tell me you weren't buying all those games primarily to get these rewards.

I could see some people who are close to 600, say 550 pts. Could go out and buy a game they were iffy about just to bump them into platnum status. Getting a underpar prize like this may have that same person second guess doing it again next June if they are in the same 550 pt range.

If they had decent prizes (like a mario pillow!) and revealed them in June (with July 1 being the cut off), I could easily see a small bump in sales for the less popular games as people try to fill their coins to get the prize. I know if I didn't have enough coins but had time to make myself eligible to get the prize I'd go out and buy it.

Especially when the alternative is I'd wait a few months and grab those same games either used, or out of the bargin bin.

Nothing is stopping people from buying games, playing them, having a great time (hopefully), and moving on! Don't want to deal with the CN "heartbreak?" Don't register your games! Want some free stuff that you may or may not like? There's the code. It is impossible to make something [of this scale] that pleases everyone. There are even, gasp, gamers in Japan who dislike the Mario pillow! HUMANS! OPINIONS!

Grym

I'm disappointed in the prizes, but I think the hate is overboard.

I have and like all the past Platinum rewards (yes even the pins, which I don't understand the universal hate towards). My only gripe and disappointment with this year's prizes comes from the fact that they are all paper products this year which seems pretty cheap to me. In the past (both NA and Japan) made me assume (maybe falsely) that the program was to offer a unique little collectible knick-knack to loyal consumers. I don't see anything made out of paper as a decent collectible tbh. I would have preferred a 25 cent metal or plastic keychain to cards or posters. It isn't about the quality at all; the posters and cards look nice for what they are. I guess I just assumed the paper prize would always be gold and platinum would get something a little more durable/collectible. Oh well

I think people just want something that feels a little more unique. All the prizes shown feel like a last minute mass printing job. Most of us have posters, calendars, and playing cards already. Not knocking the quality at all, mind you. But we see things show up in other countries as regular prizes - not just platinum/gold ones - that are cooler than these. Makes you go hmmm...

Top Bottom