• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA CHALLENGES JAPAN TO GIANT ROBOT DUEL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolodzeo

We need an european team. German engineers, french aerospacial tech, nordic software and... spanish swords. Fuck yeah.

Except we get greek budget :|

massoluk

Banned
We need an european team. German engineers, french aerospacial tech, nordic software and... spanish swords. Fuck yeah.

Except we get greek budget :|

We need to have this industrial corporate giants and universities sponsored this shit, like MIT, Lockheed Martin, Google, Sony, Panasonic, Toyota, Tesla, etc..

I don't care if everything is slow as hell and in navigate in terms of the robots...this is all just the beginning and we are here to witness it. As long as people have fun and it all leads to improvement and inspires ingenuity, this is nothing but a great thing to have. Here's hoping for a european mech the next time around.

Rolodzeo

We need to have this industrial corporate giants and universities sponsored this shit, like MIT, Lockheed Martin, Google, Sony, Panasonic, Toyota, Tesla, etc..

B-But we have Oxford, CERN, EADS, Volkswagen, Philips, ArcelorMittal, SAP, Siemens...

Exactly! If this takes off, we can see sponsors from all kinds of companies and we can soon have a giant robot sponsored by NEOGAF. Okay, kidding about that last part but it would be cool.

I don't care if everything is slow as hell and in navigate in terms of the robots...this is all just the beginning and we are here to witness it. As long as people have fun and it all leads to improvement and inspires ingenuity, this is nothing but a great thing to have. Here's hoping for a european mech the next time around.

Coolluck

7d58aae695470e68145f6290a1106101.gif

I never knew what true happiness was before this day.

213372bu

Banned
i know im a little late but i just saw the japan response video and...

HOLY SHIT THIS IS IT THE CLOSEST REAL LIFE EQUIVALENT TO MECHA BATTLES!!!

I think murricas got this if they upgrade the mobility and armor. Chaff to fuck with the kuratas lock on system is a must. The problem will be the runback when japan brings out the odaiba gundam.

Seishin

This is amazing. Both the initial challenge and the response.

What I really hope for though is an international event every four years with companies like honda and boston dynamics showing up too.

The Mecholympics or something like that. Just for giant robot competitions.

Ikael

I am incredibly, utterly hyped by this, but if they want to get it right, they do need to think about the rules of said combat.

I mean, it sounds illogical, but it is not so easy to have a long, spectacular battle between mechs since modern warfare is, if anything, abrupt. It would be a disapointment to wait for one year for this match only to be resolved by a 60 second engagement and one laser-guided skillshot, me thinks.

So, which types of rules do you guys think that should apply to this combat? Points? Scorecard? Rounds? Which type of playing field do you set this in? And how do you introduce melee weapons into this match without risking the pilots?

I think that a version of this system can work (somehow):

- No jam / EMPs / anti electronic systems. Come on, electronic warfare is boring to watch
- Gas cans, flares and every measure employed in order to confuse and obscure the enemy's sight / shooting sensors is allowed and encouraged, even. This could bring some spectacular night matches, too!
- Wide, big arena with lots of places for cover (so speed, accuraccy and good positioning counts for something)
- Range weapons are paintball guns. Score is determined in the end by the amount of surface covered by enemy paint.
- Mechs can wield shields. They don't count for scoring (landing hits on enemy shields doesn't helps your score)
- Landing a direct melee hit on an opponent warrants a huge score bonus (think the equivalent of 50% of the mech's surface being covered). This way, both long range and close combat is encouraged and rewarded, with long combat being the "slow but sure" option, while melee becomes a kind of a "high risk, high reward" proposition.
- Timed matches. Say, 3 rounds of 20-minute combat each. This can create tension, while also giving room for strategies to breathe.

So, what do you guys think of these? How would you organice this MECHA OLYMPICS sports from the goddamned future?

I hope this escalates so we get a whole lot of international companies fuelling money to both Mech teams, for sponsorships, and before we know it, we'll be having Mech Sports.

As much I find the Kuratas cooler, the American mech just looks way more combat orientated, and would function on both roads and off-roads, with it's tracks.

They'll have to get the rules sorted out pretty quickly or it will just be a race to who can build the best super mobile and fortified wedge/flipper or spinning robot.

The European one will just be a road side at a 15 degree angle. It worked in the UK!

This is badass though. I really hope this becomes like those university racing teams you get - basically an educational engineering challenge that's fun enough to warrant spectators and commercial funding.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I may be an American but its a giant robot fight...Japan was bred for this fight. No way will they lose this. The whole nation will rise to support that thing in spirit and if Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann has taught me anything its that you can't beat that.

Team Japan.
Dude. All the USA needs to do is bring Carli Lloyd in to do battle. The Japanese robot will be begging for mercy. 😎

KDR_11k

They'll have to get the rules sorted out pretty quickly or it will just be a race to who can build the best super mobile and fortified wedge/flipper or spinning robot.

Given that this is supposed to be a full size vehicle competition and involve "mechs" I doubt you're allowed to just build what amounts to an unarmed tank. Also since they're meant to be manned I doubt flipping or spinning is going to be a thing. Or hitting each other with giant hammers or axes. I mean, if you're going to do unmanned and armed combat without construction rules it would be a drone combat challenge. Of course the advantage would be that you could get DARPA to sponsor it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom