• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USgamer on a rape allusion in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

Mondy

Banned
First question: How the hell did they think this would be interpreted in any other way other than laughably sensationalist journalism?

Second question: Who the fuck are USGamer.

Mandoric

Banned
Since when did video game journalists start to think that they're a part of the creative process? Is this where their incestuous relationship with publishers has gotten us?

If you're writing criticism rather than "Alien Shooter XIV's graphics are an 82, but Russian Shooter: Eternal Freedom GotY's graphics are an 84" then by definition your role is to contribute to the medium's picture of itself in hopes of refining future works. And in large part, the best criticism is written from heretical perspectives that make people really uncomfortable - comfortable criticism tends to be backpatting by people who already agree. Doesn't necessarily have to be taken as a new gospel, but the realization that a previously unheard audience segment thinks that way is enlightening whether it gets the scene cut or whether Cox goes "huh, I never realized that, we can rip her bodice and make it even MORE disturbing!".

I actually comment on that stuff all the time. I have a huge problem with the current classification system, and what our society considers acceptable / unacceptable. I agree that it isn't discussed here too often.

This is 100% fair, and it's honestly where my gut instinct lies. But it's also why I'm enjoying taking the piss out of the guys in this thread going "how dare someone try to shut down someone else's creative output! this writer should never be allowed to say that, and I'm boycotting USgamer now!". ;P

Even if the scene had intentional rape overtones, I wouldn't support the idea of censoring it. Its an M rated game for adults, if movies and books intended for adults can feature depictions of sexual assault, then why can't a video game do the same? If anybody felt encouraged to rape because of a video game then they were already morally unstable.

Gestault

3nwGq77.png

Super weird.

Trickster

I will never understand the notion that we should be so offended at scenes in any media protraying something like rape. But at the same time we don't care that basically almost all games today involve you play the most efficient mass murderer ever.

FoneBone

I will never understand the notion that we should be so offended at scenes in any media protraying something like rape. But at the same time we don't care that basically almost all games today involve you play the most efficient mass murderer ever.

Murder is narratively justifiable in ways that rape isn't.

FStop7

Banned
On the face of it, based on the description in the OP, this sounds batshit goddamned crazy. I want to see this cut scene for myself, though.

Bedlam

It seems either she didn't see the whole scene or someone is being untruthful.
Whether or not he kills the entire family shouldn't matter. The scene with Gabriel forcefully sucking the blood from a struggling woman probably is heavily sexualized regardless of what happens next or what happened before. The point is that even if that is the case, developers should be free to express their ideas (unless it's outright illegal stuff, of course). And gaming "journalists" should refrain from calling for censorship just because they feel offended.

BosSin

The more I have listened to the Retronauts podcast, the more I realised how straight up silly some of their opinions are. I fully expected this to have come from one of those guys/gals from the podcast. Lo and behold, "author: Kat Bailey"

IvorB

If you're writing criticism rather than "Alien Shooter XIV's graphics are an 82, but Russian Shooter: Eternal Freedom GotY's graphics are an 84" then by definition your role is to contribute to the medium's picture of itself in hopes of refining future works. And in large part, the best criticism is written from heretical perspectives that make people really uncomfortable - comfortable criticism tends to be backpatting by people who already agree. Doesn't necessarily have to be taken as a new gospel, but the realization that a previously unheard audience segment thinks that way is enlightening whether it gets the scene cut or whether Cox goes "huh, I never realized that, we can rip her bodice and make it even MORE disturbing!".

This is 100% fair, and it's honestly where my gut instinct lies. But it's also why I'm enjoying taking the piss out of the guys in this thread going "how dare someone try to shut down someone else's creative output! this writer should never be allowed to say that, and I'm boycotting USgamer now!". ;P

But critisism and literary analysis takes the work as it is presented and comments on it. It is not and should not be a vehicle for censorship.

Mondy

Banned
If we've gotten to the stage where biting a neck is considered overtly sexual in nature, we're in deep shit.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
On the face of it, based on the description in the OP, this sounds batshit goddamned crazy. I want to see this cut scene for myself, though.
I got the impression that it sounds like a rather generic vampire scene.

Tenrius

Yea but the girl isn't consenting to her blood being drank sooooo...

All blood drinking needs to be consensual I feel.

Before we know it, the game becomes a bizzaro dating sim, with kawaii girls and daily activity points. There is only one true ending, where Dracula actually gets to drink blood, and all others are all about him being lonely, heartbroken and very, very hungry.

ironcreed

Banned
The wording of your posts made it sound like you were specifically focusing on the male-on-female part of things, but apparently I misinterpreted that. We're basically agreeing on the general point though so whatever.

I was just saying that Dracula feeds on men and women alike. My underlying point is that despite the obvious sexualization that goes with vampire tales, it is not meant to be perceived as sexual rape, nor does it imply it. Is it a violation? You bet, but all it is meant to be seen as is a monster that feeds on the blood on the living in order to sustain it's immortality.

At the end of the day, the sexual tones can be analyzed and compared to rape in terms of being a violation until the cows come home. But outright sexual rape is never what is being implied in such scenes. Nor should it be seen as such and then be deemed as being too controversial. It's a vampire being a monster and feeding. The only thing being violated is someone's life, be it a man or woman.

Glix

OMG, do we know for sure that he feeds on the man too??

Talk about seeing only what you want to see, and having an agenda. Geez.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Murder is narratively justifiable in ways that rape isn't.

Thankfully this is about as much a rape scene as a xenomorph in Alien. There are similarities and obvious parables, but nobody should be using that as a base to argue that they should be removed. Especially in a product for adults where you're playing fucking Dracula.

A whole other issues really, but it would be nice if behind closed doors previews stopped happening. At least in this case we would be able to judge for ourselves.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ridiculous. The way the event is described doesn't sound like anything that would make me think "rape!", but rather "vampire doing what vampires do", with the way it's presented clearly being meant to make you feel that what the character (you) is doing is pretty evil and shitty. For "rape!" to be the first thing you think when seeing this (seemingly) very typical vampire scenario play out I think you have to be really looking hard to find anything at which to throw that accusation.

And even if it was a rape scene, so what? It's not a scene that's meant to be positive (from what I can tell), but rather one meant to show what an evil thing the character has become. So why is it not OK for him to do evil things? Movies show people doing things like this all the time, but when it's a game it's not OK?

Mandoric

Banned
But critisism and literary analysis takes the work as it is presented and comments on it. It is not and should not be a vehicle for censorship.

Either "The work would be better without this segment/if this segment was handled differently" is censorship, or "I hope this isn't in the final game" isn't. They're exactly the same thing, except one is said before release - and even if you want to argue that saying it during early access in particular is abuse of that position, surely the same would apply to criticism of theatre that can lead to elements being cut from future performance, or film that can be applied to reworked director's cuts?

Thankfully this is about as much a rape scene as a xenomorph in Alien. There are similarities and obvious parables, but nobody should be using that as a base to argue that they should be removed. Especially in a product for adults where you're playing fucking Dracula.

It's even worse in Alien. You see the alien's tail creep up between Lambert's legs. It's more than a little deliberate. But this is a stupid action videogame so it has no right!

Gestault

Can we recognize at least that there's a difference between criticizing a scene because it seemed like an unsuccessful attempt at emotionally manipulative writing, and criticizing a scene because it has "no-no" topics? Her title and writing focus gave the impression of the latter (a failure because of the element they chose), but with her clarifications, it does sound a bit more like criticism of the particular execution.

Was it worse than feeding in opera scene from Interview with Vampire ?

Seriously some people behave like every game should be 2d platformer

Wow, so seems like she really missed all that stuff or falsely interpreted it. That's the only way it would make sense to me because I doubt that she would be deliberately lying about something that could so easily be checked.

Yeah, it is odd. Seems what likely happened is that dracula kills the husband and then goes for her. After she's done, he goes after the husband and then finally the child. She focused on the killing of the husband and then the turn to the woman because that was sexually charged and the rest seemed like an afterthought. Still, it should have been indicated in the reporting. She clarified on twitter that she only saw the woman. So I'm not sure what to think.

Valnen

A whole other issues really, but it would be nice if behind closed doors previews stopped happening. At least in this case we would be able to judge for ourselves.

I am a bit disappointed that a scene like this was spoiled for us. It's going to take any potential impact it might have had away.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah lost in all of this mass murderer versus rapist comparisons is the fact that this isn't even rape, it's a figuration of what could maybe potentially be seen as symbolic of rape and yet seemingly wasn't considered such other games about vampires. But the murder in the other games is straight shoot them dead.

FoneBone

Is this sarcasm? I honestly can't tell

I'm not talking about this scene in particular, I'm talking about (part of) why depicting rape, in general, is seen as more objectionable than murder.

Bram Stokers original story had scenes of rape so even if this was alluding to rape (it's not) it wouldn't be out if place at all! Guess what? Dracula is not a very nice guy.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Either "The work would be better without this segment/if this segment was handled differently" is censorship, or "I hope this isn't in the final game" isn't. They're exactly the same thing, except one is said before release - and even if you want to argue that saying it during early access in particular is abuse of that position, surely the same would apply to criticism of theatre that can lead to elements being cut from future performance, or film that can be applied to reworked director's cuts?

Critism and censorship aren't the same thing. One is said with the purpose of altering the game the other is simply stating an opinion (which the developer can chose to take heed or ignore in future works).

BosSin

Yeah, it is odd. Seems what likely happened is that dracula kills the husband and then goes for her. After she's done, he goes after the husband and then finally the child. She focused on the killing of the husband and then the turn to the woman because that was sexually charged and the rest seemed like an afterthought. Still, it should have been indicated in the reporting. She clarified on twitter that she only saw the woman. So I'm not sure what to think.

I have an idea, make note of her name and avoid taking anything else she writes seriously.

VoidZero

Banned
This is ridiculous, since when did drinking blood from woman turn to rape?
I played Vampire the masquerade bloodlines and never made a connection to rape. In that game you are drinking blood right and left.

Ilúvatar

Wow, so seems like she really missed all that stuff or falsely interpreted it. That's the only way it would make sense to me because I doubt that she would be deliberately lying about something that could so easily be checked.

I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and say it is the first, but I have a sinking feeling that it was the second to generate a narrative and clicks.

Yeah, it seems like Konami could pt this whole thing to rest if they released a video of the scene and it played out like most other journalists are suggesting (where Dracula just just devouring the entire family).

JABEE

That sounds, to me, like Cox posed a question to a roundtable, Bailey said "yes," and then Cox immediately went off on how it was all his artistic vision. The subsequent comments related to this (as related by this and the other articles) all seem to Cox pointing to Dracula's need to kill and the violence as the central point of discomfort here (see: him claiming that the marketing department forced them to censor the image of a young girl's corpse after Dracula feeds on her).

It sounds like Bailey never actually tells Cox outright why the scene made her uncomfortable, but the article is framed in such a way that implies that Cox is agreeing with her assessment and claiming that her specific take on it was intentional.

Yep. And even if that were all true, I still still don't feel that is an excuse for someone to say they want this content removed from the game.

I don't understand why gaming has gotten to the point where asking parts of a game to be removed on the basis of vulgarity and value-based judgements is not treated in the same way that film connoisseurs look back on Hollywood's PCA or the attempts made by concerned parents to make objectionable rock and rap music commercially inviable.

If you respect art, you are free to criticize it all you want. If video games are art, you should be able to say want you want about how these games make you feel. What I don't believe should be the norm in gaming journalism is an acceptance of calls for directorial censorship through direct commands or calls for protest.

You can do that if you wish. I just believe that games shouldn't be held back on what subjects that should approach or what messages they wish to deliver, because games made the press or individual protest groups "uncomfortable." Most people would be uncomfortable supporting similar claims in the arena of film, books, or even television.

With games, the majority still feel games should only be self-esteem enhancing, translations of ourselves on screen. There is not always a positive to take away from a situation like war or other heinous situations video games enjoy glorifying. There is room for games that make you sad, repulsed, and even uncomfortable. Not everything a character does must be clean and fit within who you see yourself as a person.

I'm sorry for rambling on about this, I just think it's scary that asking for something to be removed from a game is even on the table as a response to a work of art that makes you uncomfortable. I would expect that from outside political groups before I would expect it from people who cover games for a living. People that care about the artistry found in entertainment content.

Top Bottom