• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USGamer podcast has started. It's Retronauts with some current game talk.

Dryk

I can see how some people would find the comparison on the nose due to the sheer difference in scale but I'm okay with it. While it's must less likely that someone is going to die in games media people's live have been threatened and people do passionately want them dead.

I admit, I thought the same thing, with the idea of some of the comments being taken as victim blaming, especially when we hit the section about responsibility. That said, I think it was a good, frank discussion with a few viewpoints
I think that it's hard to keep a conversation about risk minimisation on the right side of the victim blaming line. I almost expect it to zig-zag over it a few times in a conversation that long. Just be mindful of people doing it and it's fine.

Corgi

Banned
last time I checked, I'm pretty sure my vita 2000 has microusb support :p

always does sadden me that vita just doesn't have all the games... hardware wise it's about everything I want out of a handheld. How great would it be to be able to play all the good platformers on 3ds on a system with a good dpad (location and feel)?

if nintendo and sony could team up again....

Loving the podcast but I'm on podcast #2 and Mike I thought you were a stand up guy, little did I know you suffer from Non-Inverted Stick syndrome. There are programs man you can get help
;)

Corgi

Banned
wishywashy mike :p

I might have misunderstood what he was talking about self censorship, so does this mean we won't be expecting many 1-2 star reviews?

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
wishywashy mike :p

I might have misunderstood what he was talking about self censorship, so does this mean we won't be expecting many 1-2 star reviews?

That's not what he means at all. He's talking about the tone of his writing, the dangers of coming on too strong. To call him wishy-washy for that is to pronounce a marked lack of awareness of the realities of racial politics in the U.S.

Corgi

Banned
That's not what he means at all. He's talking about the tone of his writing, the dangers of coming on too strong. To call him wishy-washy for that is to pronounce a marked lack of awareness of the realities of racial politics in the U.S.

Was meant to be a joke sorry bout that, although when I think about games writing, the only times where one has the opportunity to word things strongly is a personal piece, or a harshly critical review on a game.

It's not something you'd see in your typical preview/news/ coverage.

I am curious though, I've seen Mike voice options about topics in OT, but what are the topics in gaming that would push his buttons hard?

Loving the podcast but I'm on podcast #2 and Mike I thought you were a stand up guy, little did I know you suffer from Non-Inverted Stick syndrome. There are programs man you can get help
;)

Pressing up on the stick makes you look up, like the gods intended. A man is not a plane!

Was meant to be a joke sorry bout that, although when I think about games writing, the only times where one has the opportunity to word things strongly is a personal piece, or a harshly critical review on a game.

It's not something you'd see in your typical preview/news/ coverage.

I am curious though, I've seen Mike voice options about topics in OT, but what are the topics in gaming that would push his buttons hard?

The original versions of these articles were a bit more fiery than the final versions.

Let's Talk About #GamerGate and Journalism
Life Imitates Art: Battlefield Hardline and How the Media Handles Police

I seem to remember an article early on in USgamer that I killed completely because it was a bit too hard, but I can't remember what it was about.

I have a more measured view of Japan from my time working for Otakon, so I tend to shoot down the idea that it's the land of milk and honey, though we get some interesting games from the region. I also feel strongly about people being able to stop playing a game if the early parts don't hook them; time is precious and there's no reason to spend 12 hours getting to know a game you may hate, when you can spend those 12 hours enjoying something else. This extends to TV shows. That's not to say games, TV shows (Agents of SHIELD got much better!), and movies don't get better, just that I understand why people dip out.

mcw

Another good episode, guys; thanks for keeping this up.

It's unfortunate that someone would choose not to use the word "gamer" because of GamerGate. I can't control the decisions people make for themselves, of course; I just think it's unfortunate. The word "gamer" means "someone who plays games" in the same way that "filmgoer" means "someone who goes to watch a film". "Gamer" doesn't say anything about what games a person chooses to play, how much of his life he devotes to those games, or how he interacts with others. If you believe that it's a hateful term for hateful people, you're making a choice to give that meaning to the word. That's your choice to make, and you've got the right to do so; but in making that choice, you're bringing more hate to a conversation that desperately needs less of it.

It's unfortunate that someone would choose not to use the word "gamer" because of GamerGate. I can't control the decisions people make for themselves, of course; I just think it's unfortunate. The word "gamer" means "someone who plays games" in the same way that "filmgoer" means "someone who goes to watch a film". "Gamer" doesn't say anything about what games a person chooses to play, how much of his life he devotes to those games, or how he interacts with others. If you believe that it's a hateful term for hateful people, you're making a choice to give that meaning to the word. That's your choice to make, and you've got the right to do so; but in making that choice, you're bringing more hate to a conversation that desperately needs less of it.

I don't see how avoiding a word that personally makes me uncomfortable is adding "hate" to the conversation. Like I said on the show, "gamer" is a word that's been tainted in my eyes, mostly by a vocal minority that views themselves as a protected and important class of consumers with a singular identity and purpose. Like, people are sincerely trying to incite scandal by saying, "Oh, did you hear what [X] said about gamers?" As if gamers were somehow a recognized minority group at risk for institutionalized subjugation, instead of just people who choose to buy a certain kind of thing. I honestly wish the word "gamer" could be used in the same casual sense as "film buff" or "bookworm," but the events of the last six months or so prove otherwise.

And I'm not ashamed of video games, or people who play them—like I said on the podcast, video games are essentially my job and LIFE, so if anyone deserves the title of "gamer," it's me! But, at this point it seems to represent an extremist, nearly fundamentalist identity that I can't quite understand or agree with.

mcw

I don't see how avoiding a word that personally makes me uncomfortable is adding "hate" to the conversation.

I don't think I'll ever be able to convince you, Bob. Just know that I love your work and that I hope one day you'll be able to cast off the cynicism that's you've been dealing with for some time now.

I do wonder how choosing not to use a specific word adds hate. I'm just confused on that part.

I don't think I'll ever be able to convince you, Bob. Just know that I love your work and that I hope one day you'll be able to cast off the cynicism that's you've been dealing with for some time now.

Friends and people I care about have been seriously affected by GamerGate (and very recently). If you see me as "cynical" about this issue, please understand what's informing my stance. It's not an empty gesture.

mcw

I do wonder how choosing not to use a specific word adds hate. I'm just confused on that part.

It's not the choice to not use the word. It's the choice to give the word a hateful connotation where it previously had none (and by definition continues not to have). This is something I went into in my original post; my apologies if I was unclear at the time, and hopefully this post clears it up.

It's not the choice to not use the word. It's the choice to give the word a hateful connotation where it previously had none (and by definition continues not to have). This is something I went into in my original post; my apologies if I was unclear at the time, and hopefully this post clears it up.

Gotcha, gotcha.

It wasn't my choice to give the word this meaning, and I desperately wish we could go back to when it didn't have negative connotations for me. Hopefully that will change one day! For now, we have synonyms.

Corgi

Banned
Embrace the polyglottal future. The Latin American market is huge these days. Let's be inclusive!

if only the companies cared

That beautiful localization effort of MX psn

gBuU08V.jpg

Just finished listening to episode 4, I can completely see where the reluctance to use 'gamer' is coming from. I was happy to ignore the negative connotations when it was basically a synonym for 'immature' but now that it's started to get a tinge of 'hateful' I'm reluctant. I'd rather describe myself as someone who 'plays games' which while meaning substantially the same thing doesn't sound like I'm allowing games to define my identity. I particularly appreciated the discussion on what self censorship is and isn't, like much else around free speech I think people have started to confuse the original meaning (ie internalising state censorship) with being a thoughtful author and trying to get a message across in the most effective fashion or acknowledging that some forums are inappropriate for some topics.

I've always thought "gamer" should be used in the places you would use "reader." Like I wouldn't call myself a reader, but I would say that "Readers won't enjoy this book's idiotic prose."

Just finished listening to episode 4, I can completely see where the reluctance to use 'gamer' is coming from. I was happy to ignore the negative connotations when it was basically a synonym for 'immature' but now that it's started to get a tinge of 'hateful' I'm reluctant. I'd rather describe myself as someone who 'plays games' which while meaning substantially the same thing doesn't sound like I'm allowing games to define my identity. I particularly appreciated the discussion on what self censorship is and isn't, like much else around free speech I think people have started to confuse the original meaning (ie internalising state censorship) with being a thoughtful author and trying to get a message across in the most effective fashion or acknowledging that some forums are inappropriate for some topics.

Glad you're enjoying the discussion. It's always weird to cover more serious subjects on a game podcast. (I say "always" like I've been doing this forever.)

I've always thought "gamer" should be used in the places you would use "reader." Like I wouldn't call myself a reader, but I would say that "Readers won't enjoy this book's idiotic prose."

This is pretty much how I use the term, interchangeable with "player".

bigkrev

Caught up. Really enjoying the more serious conversations, and demand more Parish Cam Clarke impersonations each week to balance it out.

My only issue is with the sound quality. Jeremy and Bob sound fine, but Mike sounds like he's speaking off-mic most of the time and, while I know it's a Skype-cast, only Jaz sounds like he is somewhere completely different. I don't know what the actual solution to these problems are, short of everyone flying in and recording in the same room (which I'm sure the lavish salaries paid to game writers could easily cover!), but I now get why people say they don't want to do skype casts now.

90sRobots

I'm sick to death of hearing about Gamergate, but that was a very smart, tactful discussion featuring some of my favorite Internet people. Generally, both sides of the argument seem to be too hyperbolic and militaristic for me to care. Good work, all!

And yeesh Mike this is THE month for gaming. Every Christmas I get my aunt a Nintendo game because she always wants something to work on in the winter.

I'm sick to death of hearing about Gamergate, but that was a very smart, tactful discussion featuring some of my favorite Internet people. Generally, both sides of the argument seem to be too hyperbolic and militaristic for me to care. Good work, all!

And yeesh Mike this is THE month for gaming. Every Christmas I get my aunt a Nintendo game because she always wants something to work on in the winter.

Not for *new* games released this month!

I'm currently half dead as I travel from LA to San Antonio for PAX South!

Balb

I feel like the "the term 'gamer' limits the kind of person that you are" angle is a bit odisingenuous. People always use these types of terms to describe themselves (hikers, readers, etc) and nobody bats an eye at those. If you want to say that the word "gamer" has recently gained bad connotations and you're embarrassed to call yourself one that's fine, but the former argument is dishonest.

krae_man

Fact correcting: You could get the Hanafuna cards in the US, I have them.

Other cool things I've got:

96vhsnK.jpg

rvYCZAH.jpg

4FB4urp.jpg

FhkiJtD.jpg

I have the first 3 but missed out on the Luigi statue:(

There were other practical things like a Charge cradle for the XL, pouches to put your 3DS in:
WrxKQtK.jpg

and the game cases Jeremy mentioned.

Other countries did got better stuff because they got all those things plus other things but the current selection is not a good representation of the life of the program.

Finally got around to listening to these while traveling to/from PAX South. Good stuff guys. Mike came to the meetup and was a awesome dude.

Corgi

Banned
weird... I dont believe nintendo games coin value depreciated over time.

there is a bonus coin boost around launch, but the value is pretty much the same after. Redeemed style savvy last year for the same coins.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
weird... I dont believe nintendo games coin value depreciated over time.

there is a bonus coin boost around launch, but the value is pretty much the same after. Redeemed style savvy last year for the same coins.

I don't think anyone said they depreciated. I did mention that the window of time in which you could claim coins for surveys has dropped tremendously over the years. I still have open surveys to complete from games I bought years ago, but current games expire after about a month.

krae_man

That is correct, also the post plays expire in 7 days. I can't remember how long those used to be valid for, but I think it was months.

Glad you're enjoying the discussion. It's always weird to cover more serious subjects on a game podcast. (I say "always" like I've been doing this forever.)

Please keep having them when topical, I feel like they're a wonderful part of the podcast and help contribute to differentiating USG Radio from your average gaming podcast.

Keep on keepin' on, podcast continues to be great!

Other countries did got better stuff because they got all those things plus other things but the current selection is not a good representation of the life of the program.

Other countries should never get better stuff!

bq771pmfrww0e19oyyyk.gif

Finally got around to listening to these while traveling to/from PAX South. Good stuff guys. Mike came to the meetup and was a awesome dude.

It was fun and it's was great to meet you man!

Corgi

Banned
I don't think anyone said they depreciated. I did mention that the window of time in which you could claim coins for surveys has dropped tremendously over the years. I still have open surveys to complete from games I bought years ago, but current games expire after about a month.

gotcha, thought you were talking about the actual club nintendo codes.

Kinda interested to see Mike guest on Retronauts someday. Seems like he got some old game chops too (Probably was required to get hired at a place Perish runs)

(y'all better have a psp eps lined up after pretty much shit talking it for an entire eps!)

Whhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttt?

A new episode of From US to You and a Persona 5 reveal?

tumblr_njauxnddBF1qzpumyo2_500.gif

This day is the best!

This time we talk about the re-releases of Suikoden II and Grim Fandango. We also ask, is Kat the only person who gets a special minute on the podcast? I think not! You can find it on Libsyn, iTunes, and Soundcloud.

I saw that stretch of the trailer and instinctively went "WRRRYYYYYYYYY"

This is going to be. So. Good.

Top Bottom