• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USGamer podcast has started. It's Retronauts with some current game talk.

TheWraith

Really enjoying the podcast guys!

One thing that's grating me however how you all managed to mis-pronounce Suidoden in the same way as "Swi-koden" somehow. It's pronounced " Su-i-koden" for your kind information. :)

One thing that's grating me however how you all managed to mis-pronounce Suidoden in the same way as "Swi-koden" somehow. It's pronounced " Su-i-koden" for your kind information. :)

Actually, unless I'm mistaken, it's pronounced "Sui-ko-den". :V Saying that with any sense of speed is difficult without slurring it into "swi" as in "sweet" as that precise pronounciation never comes up in English.

Actually, unless I'm mistaken, it's pronounced "Sui-ko-den". :V Saying that with any sense of speed is difficult without slurring it into "swi" as in "sweet" as that precise pronounciation never comes up in English.

Wraith is correct. Japanese syllables are pretty set in stone.

水滸伝 becomes すいこでん. Five syllables. It would be: Su-i-ko-de-n.

You are also correct in the fact that we're saying it fast enough that it sounds like "Swi".

I just picked up this podcast and listened to the most recent 3 episodes. Great stuff! I've been following Jeremy since before 1UP so I don't know what's taken me so long to check this out. Many members of the crew are known quantities, but it's awesome to get to learn about some new people in the industry. I like this Mike Williams fellow quite a bit. Though I did expect a baritone.

Corgi

Banned
pocket league story is great.

really sad they stopped bringing power pro games over here.

Curious if Kat is a inazuma 11 fan.

its basically blitzball but fun.

You ask clerks for it back in the day like I had to. Your head'd explode like Scanners.

Do the Pronunciation Police hang out in every podcast thread, or did we just win the lottery?

*WEEEWOOO WEEEWOOO WEEEWOOO WEEEWOOO*

"Come out with your diphthongs up! We have you surrounded!"

- I was enjoying the Dying Light stream up until the not-installed elevator. :\ Download-as-you-play is more appropriate for games that have you stick to an area for a significant amount of time such as RPGs.
- The Bob Mackey Bird Minute? We'd need a lot more Hatoful Boyfriends to make that work. Little hard to sneak in seamlessly too - every Sports Minute so far felt relevant since sports games can share a lot with other games in terms of mechanics - but I'm sure you'll figure something out.
- Grim Fandango not on Mac; a time when Apple wasn't anywhere near as relevant as they are now. Now I feel old. Thanks, guys. :(
- I should buy Suikoden II.

Wraith is correct. Japanese syllables are pretty set in stone.

水滸伝 becomes すいこでん. Five syllables. It would be: Su-i-ko-de-n.

You are also correct in the fact that we're saying it fast enough that it sounds like "Swi".

"Sui" is debatable depending on speed. "Den" has as many syllables as the word "ten".

...I'll settle for 3.5 syllables.

Do the Pronunciation Police hang out in every podcast thread, or did we just win the lottery?

It just means your mics are too clear and that you should lower audio quality. :V Also, as someone else said, means that finding actual things to complain about the podcast is hard 'cause you're all doing a good job.

But yeah, sorry about that.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
The great thing about Suikoden was that everyone always used to call it "sook-ee-o-den." And they spelled to match. Before eBay standardized listings from a catalog, people would list the game as Sukioden, and I scored some super cheap copies of Suikoden II back in the day by looking up the wrong spelling.

Corgi

Banned
Just finished the latest episode of the podcast, though Jeremy had to dip out early. I take over hosting for this podcast only!

There's also a new issue of KC Green's webcomic, dealing with the magic of Sonic the Hedgehog.

jesus yall are pooping them out rapidly. soon the show will be twice a week!

What are y'all's thoughts on your brothers from across the pond ditching scores?

I wouldn't mind y'all switching to a review system without numbers.

the catch is you have to doodle your overall feelings for a game in a picture.

What are y'all's thoughts on your brothers from across the pond ditching scores?

That's what the opening part of the podcast is about.

I honestly find them useful to people who aren't us. And any system of differentiation tends to roll back into a score system in the minds of enthusiasts anyways. You can see the GAF thread to see this at work already. Examples from Twitter:

https://twitter.com/danthat/status/565097533413023744/photo/1
B9ehNi-IYAANszw.jpg

https://twitter.com/RaveofRavendale/status/565091485570568194
Just so we all understand the new Eurogamer ratings, AVOID = 0-5/10, no rating = 6-7/10, Recommended = 8-9/10, Essential = 10/10, OK cool

https://twitter.com/lynchtacular/status/565260397826277376
B9g1VhSIcAQng3K.jpg

This misses the point of Eurogamer's thoughts on the matter, but that's the point. Enthusiast niche will force their own ideas on what those emblems mean regardless. Even Kotaku's Yes/No system seems like obfuscation. At least RPS simply has the review text, which should be the gold standard if you don't want scores. (People forget that USgamer is also a sister site to VG247 and RPS.)

The larger point is Eurogamer is doing what feels best for their editorial vision and their audience.

Corgi

Banned
yeah, pretty much the only thing I have with y'all's review thing is that, it just feels like there is 1 or 2 categories missing in the 'nitty gritty' section. Maybe "controls"?

Kazzy

What's that? Today Kat Bailey recorded the first episode of our upcoming RPG podcast, Axe of the Blood God?

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!

I'm not even lying, when I say that Kat's theory (that sports games are secretly RPGs), blew my mind. To this day, it's something that still sticks with me.

Also, Axe of the Blood God is a totally legitimate name.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Why does the US gamer podcast start with God Save the Queen?

Maybe Star Spangled Bnner from Hendrix would have been better...

This week's episode of the podcast is live! You can also catch it on iTunes, Soundcloud, or Libsyn.

Recently I wrote an op-ed contemplating the challenges that big-budget console game development faces going into this new generation — challenges that continue to manifest in results like the lukewarm reception Sony's gorgeous The Order: 1886 has received in this week's reviews. Are we headed for another video game crash like the one that annihilated the U.S. console industry more than 30 years ago... and, given the actual shakeout of that disaster, would it be so bad if a new crash did come to pass? The USgamer team (led ably by stand-in host Mike Williams) mulls the up- and downsides of that possible apocalyptic future.

Also in this episode: The Kat Bailey Sports Minute no longer stands alone! The strengths and weaknesses of Monster Hunter and Evolve, two games existing on the flip sides of the same coin! Why USgamer isn't dropping review scores to follow suit with sister site Eurogamer! And the uncomfortable spectre of racism in Nintendo games! All this and more.

Episode 8 of the podcast is up!

The biggest topic this week is our slightly belated commentary on developer tri-Ace's recent acquisition by mobile publisher Nepro. Not only what it means for tri-Ace, but for games in general. That bit of sour spirits is balanced by the potential we see in the Square Enix Collective, which we discuss at length as well. All this and the debut of my own minute (or so) of focused discussion to go along with the Kat Bailey Sports Minute and the Mike Williams Media Minute!

0:00: Oh, hi.
2:25: Remembering Leonard Nimoy
9:47: The Kat Bailey Sports Minute
12:36: An ode to Tri-Ace
34:28: The Jeremy Parish Retro Minute
39:43: Thoughts on the Square Enix Collective
57:25: Mike Williams' Media Minute
1:07:12: Closing Notes

You can listen at the link above, on iTunes or SoundCloud, download it directly from Libsyn.

Let us know what you think!

Corgi

Banned
I feel like my title for this thread started out a bit as a joke... but its pretty spot on so far :p

Always want to give resonance of fate a shot. maybe someday...

krae_man

Oh man I love Axelay. My uncle bought it for me for my birthday. Didn't ask for it, he knows nothing about video games but he picked a winner. Never managed to beat it though. I got all the way to the second part of the final boss with the clone ships and died once and have never managed to get back there. I looked up the ending on Youtube since and now know I was literally seconds from beating it. GAH!

Now that I think about it, that ending is a lot like Super Metroid. Or more the other way around since Axelay came first.

meppi

Love the podcast and love the site in general. So much so that it's become my go-to video game website actually.

Anyway, I was going through Mean Machines Sega 2 and came across a nice blast from the past which the guys might get a kick out of. ;)

W1Bwq0F.jpg

Coen

Just want to say thanks for the effort you guys and girl put into the podcast. It really is greatly appreciated. I don't use iTunes so I can't rate but if there's anything to keep this thing going, I'd be glad to help.

Just want to say thanks for the effort you guys and girl put into the podcast. It really is greatly appreciated. I don't use iTunes so I can't rate but if there's anything to keep this thing going, I'd be glad to help.

I was traveling, so I didn't get a chance to say "You're welcome" before. You're welcome!

This week's podcast episode is live!

After a week of slugging it out in San Francisco and Boston at Game Developers Conference and PAX East, Team USgamer reconvenes in cyberspace to mull their various observations from the recent events. Our consensus: It's pretty rough out there for aspiring indie developers.

No surprises there — what used to be a charming little corner of the games industry has exploded in the past few years. While it's certainly not impossible for a fresh face to hit the big time with a work of breathtaking originality, the sheer amount of competition from equally hungry and motivated indies seems downright daunting. In this episode, we talk about the uphill battle of modern-day indies, thoughts on how to break out from the pack, and the role and responsibilities of the media in the burgeoning indie ecosystem.

You can find all the usual download suspects at the link above!

ToastyFrog

This week I used The Nice's cover of Leonard Bernstein's "America" (originally from West Side Story) as the intro theme.

Nice! I don't see Codename STEAM in the shownotes but I'd love to hear you guys' thoughts on it. Is that something for a future episode or will that be discussed in ATBG?

That would probably be a Kat question since she reviewed it. I have too much on my plate at the moment and I'm not sure who else is picking it up. I'll ask her!

krae_man

Jeremy, Fuck those autoscrolling levels in the GBA Klonoa games.

Especially the surfing ones where you surf towards the screen, your sprite takes up 80% of the screen and yet somehow still miss tons of gems.

That is all.

bigkrev

Really liked the Star Wars discussion this week. I'm weird in that the dream Star Wars game I've always wanted was basically Shadows of the Empire- let me run around Echo Base, let me have a boss fight against Boba Fett, let me fly through an asteroid field, ect. It feels like all games since 2002 or so have been set in the prequel time period, and not the period of the original 6 movies. Just give me a game that lets me relive a bunch of cool moments from the movies, and i'll be happy.

Also, now that it's been a couple of episodes, is the 3 person lineup locked going forward, or are Bob and or Jaz eventually going to come back?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so glad I discovered this podcast, and USgamer as a whole. It's now my go-to gaming website (with Neogaf of course). Keep up the great work guys!

Katbot

Also, now that it's been a couple of episodes, is the 3 person lineup locked going forward, or are Bob and or Jaz eventually going to come back?

The lineup is really based on who is available, so I expect Bob and Jaz to pop in from time to time. We're sticking with a three person lineup, though.

Jhoan

I'm kind of bummed out that Parish is changing up the format since I liked having at least 3-4 of the staff members at a time even if it was like every other gaming podcast out there. Then again, Axe of the Blood God is mostly a one on one affair with 2 additional guests occasionally in the mix radio show style so maybe it's for the better. Either way, it'll probably grow on me eventually.

I've yet to listen to the new format so no real guesses on the other open world game Parish saw other than either Just Cause 3, a new Saint's Row, or Mad Max.

wrowa

Is this podcast on an extended hiatus or has it quietly ended?

Yeah, I've been wondering about that as well.

The podcast definitely has been struggling to find its groove and managing the recording sessions seems to be difficult as well, so it wouldn't surprise me if they aren't quite satisfied with it and feel the need to rework it further (or abandon it, I don't know).

It's a shame though, I actually thought the 1-on-1 episodes were quite a bit better than the episodes before. The kind of in-depth talk they like to do works well in that format.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that as well.

The podcast definitely has been struggling to find its groove and managing the recording sessions seems to be difficult as well, so it wouldn't surprise me if they aren't quite satisfied with it and feel the need to rework it further (or abandon it, I don't know).

It's a shame though, I actually thought the 1-on-1 episodes were quite a bit better than the episodes before. The kind of in-depth talk they like to do works well in that format.

Basically, we entered a dark period where everyone was traveling every which way (E3, SDCC, BitSummit) or sick from traveling every which way. We're going to be sticking with the 1-on-1 format for the foreseeable future and you should see it soon as this week is the first one where we're all mostly back in our home spaces.

We're sorry for the wait!

turnbuckle

Basically, we entered a dark period where everyone was traveling every which way (E3, SDCC, BitSummit) or sick from traveling every which way. We're going to be sticking with the 1-on-1 format for the foreseeable future and you should see it soon as this week is the first one we're all mostly back in our home spaces.

We're sorry for the wait!

Thanks for the update!

ToastyFrog

Yep, there have been several things getting in the way of the show recently, and we didn't want to half-ass the show just to be able to say we were doing it. Should be a new episode up on Wednesday.

Top Bottom