• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets Review Thread

Mr. Sam

The reviews are about what I expected. I'm not sure I really trust Luc Besson anymore, even though I love the man who made Leon and The Fifth Element... but I'm in.

Ashhong

Wish this came out at a different time so that I could see it in IMAX or any other premium format. Dunkirk gonna take up all of those screens for a while.

GavinUK86

After reading those first couple quotes I was worried, but then the rest seem pretty positive. I guess it's definitely a Besson film.

Way to read into my statement.
I mean both reviews this specific guy did, first of all. Not "any critic", not this one movie alone.
Secondly, the guy just comes off like he is trying to be as harsh as possible.
Calling for the Razzies? Come on.
You're bothered that the critic didn't like another sci-fi epic from the same director?

Awkward big budget sci-fi epics are perfect fodder for the Razzies. Is it Todd McCarthy being as harsh as possible or seeking attention (according to you) or just being himself? Maybe he's just one critic you're not aligned with, what's the point in getting all huffy puffy about it? lol

You're bothered that the critic didn't like another sci-fi epic from the same director?

Awkward big budget sci-fi epics are perfect fodder for the Razzies. Is it Todd McCarthy being as harsh as possible or seeking attention (according to you) or just being himself? Maybe he's just one critic you're not aligned with, what's the point in getting all huffy puffy about it? lol

I'm bothered that he uses terms like "Euro trash" and calls for awards for awfulness with half a year to go.
Guess I just don't like this format of critique, so I was hoping he'd have some kind of business reason for being so unlikable.

(I also think you think I'm more upset than I actually am)

Basically this:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=243143472

http://nerdist.com/luc-besson-is-already-writing-the-next-two-valerian-sequels/

LUC BESSON IS ALREADY WRITING THE NEXT TWO VALERIAN SEQUELS

For fifty years. Pierre Christin and Jean-Claude Mézières’ epic sci-fi comic Valerian and Laureline has influenced other space operas including Star Wars and The Fifth Element. Bringing Valerian to the big screen has been a decades-long dream for director Luc Besson, and that dream will come to fruition later this month when Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets hits theaters. But if Besson has his way, he’ll be staying in this fictional universe for the foreseeable future.

Nerdist’s Aliza Pearl recently had a chance to ask Besson about a potential Valerian sequel, and he immediately responded “I finished the number 2 already and I’m writing the number 3. I don’t know if we will do it, because it’s not up to me. It’s up to the audience if they like it.”

Besson noted that his friends discouraged him from jumping immediately into the sequel, before adding “I don’t care, I’m just happy to write it. I’m enjoying writing it. So I don’t even wait. I’m just writing for myself. I finished the [sequel] already, then I [got] bored a month ago, so I said ‘let’s write the third.'”

Oh that wacky Luc Besson

jtb

Banned

Eh, in the age of the internet, I've seen critics ramp up the hyperbole in their quest for quote whoring. Used to be you only quote-whored good reviews (lookin' at you Pete Travers), since those are the ones that would end up on the box or the poster.

Which sci-fi films are divisive?

John Carter is at 51%, The Box at 45%, Southland Tales at 36%, The Fountain at 51%, K-Pax at 41%, A.I. at 73%, The Fifth Element at 72%, Contact at 62%, Stargate at 48%, Dune at 57%, Tron at 70%, etc.

Sci-fi is something very personal and it's often not for everyone. A 69% average is a much more negative score for something meant to be a crowd-pleaser like when you're shooting for Best Picture. Besson gives no fucks about pleasing crowds. Valerian will probably be a chore to watch for some and a fascinating 137 minutes for others.

Ashhong

What's sunshine at? Because that is one of my favorite movies of all time and is divisive. Lol at anyone seriously using the rotten score as any form of argument though. Cmon guys, at least use the average score. Whatever that may be in this case

seb

Banned
John Carter is at 51%, The Box at 45%, Southland Tales at 36%, The Fountain at 51%, K-Pax at 41%, A.I. at 73%, The Fifth Element at 72%, Contact at 62%, Stargate at 48%, Dune at 57%, Tron at 70%, etc.

Sci-fi is something very personal and it's often not for everyone. A 69% average is a much more negative score for something meant to be a crowd-pleaser like when you're shooting for Best Picture. Besson gives no fucks about pleasing crowds. Valerian will probably be a chore to watch for some and a fascinating 137 minutes for others.

I feel you Jon Carter. I love Dune :( and AI above Contact, come on now. I guess you're right that sci-fi is divisive. One thing that doesn't speak for Valerian though: the existence of Lock out.

What's sunshine at? Because that is one of my favorite movies of all time and is divisive. Lol at anyone seriously using the rotten score as any form of argument though. Cmon guys, at least use the average score. Whatever that may be in this case

Because the rotten score is a better indication of divisiveness.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
62% for Contact? WTF

HotHamBoy

But those are bad movies...

I enjoy The Fifth Element but that's not a good movie... plus I was a kid when I used to watch it so there's that.

Blade Runner was panned by critics, too.

Besson has been a hack for like 10 years, to the point where it makes you wonder if the 5th element, Leon or The big blue were not lucky shots.

Dice//

Banned
Besson has been a hack for like 10 years, to the point where it makes you wonder if the 5th element, Leon or The big blue were not lucky shots.

So, the shyamalan effect.... which also sounds like a movie he'd write/direct.

SciFi movies don't have the best track record.

What a shame. GoT and The Expanse are around right now at least proving it can be done very well; I really hope it can keep the floodgates open as CG (seems) to be more ubiquitous and easier to manage for productions that require it.

Ashhong

So, the shyamalan effect.... which also sounds like a movie he'd write/direct.

What a shame. GoT and The Expanse are around right now at least proving it can be done very well; I really hope it can keep the floodgates open as CG (seems) to be more ubiquitous and easier to manage for productions that require it.

Game of Thrones counts as sci Fi?

wazoo

Sci Fi are not meant to be seen by the bigger crowd. Still, they need it, because they are expensive as hell. Paradox.

wazoo

IF you want good rated SciFy, just ask for a Disney/Marvel production. They are family movies, with no risk taken, completely derivative and forgettable. Perfect for Rotten Tomatoes.

it looks insanely good and from my impressions when I saw the trailer a bit back, a total bomb.

Got to be honest, the reviews are making me rethink this and I'll probably see this in the cinema.

Z3M0G

I didn't know about the 5th Element connection until now. I didn't really like that movie at the time. I can agree that it might have been a bit ahead of its time.

This looks like the real take-away are the visuals. It better have a 3D release when it hits home video.

wazoo

In terms of budget, there is no comparison. A movie like that cost way more (225M$) than a typical TVshow (GOT episode are around 6M$ and The Expanse should be around that)

Top Bottom