• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

I... didn't even realize
tanks could participate in combination attacks.

Combination attacks and interception attacks: two mechanics I under-exploited. Doubly so for combination interception attacks.

It feels like you never have a reason to use combination attacks because you're always sending single units out for one-move-one-kill strikes. I feel like this changes if you're actually planning for interception on enemy turns, though.

Will nee to try that alternate approach on the final boss, too.

Nyoro SF

wait

really?

im still gonna get it but god dammit

It's unfortunate, but it was reverted.
A classic case of a team working by the book instead of considering overarching good consequences of an oversight.
I have to say that the increased fire rate led to some amazing interception gunfire volleys in the Expert Skirmishes. You really had to think and move very fast. Unfortunately, that's all gone.

I... didn't even realize
tanks could participate in combination attacks.

Haha, they indeed can... though it is rare for it to happen.
The maps are so large that units don't often fire from the same position, much less tanks + units.

Probably the reason why the last chapter is so hard, it never occurs to anyone to use combination fire on Maximilian.

Salsa

It's unfortunate, but it was reverted.
A classic case of a team working by the book instead of considering overarching good consequences of an oversight.
I have to say that the increased fire rate led to some amazing interception gunfire volleys in the Expert Skirmishes. You really had to think and move very fast. Unfortunately, that's all gone.

wait, so, is the game working as in the original release now?

when at 60fps I mean

Jesus, I'm a little surprised at the price aggression... especially outside of major sales events.

Just bought it for a few friends of mine.
Someone's probably pushing for more sales for whatever reason, plus I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing this to keep VC awareness on Steam high.

Nyoro SF

Someone's probably pushing for more sales for whatever reason, plus I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing this to keep VC awareness on Steam high.

I actually just noticed it's a SEGA-wide weekend sale, so my thoughts were unfounded. It is a major sale event after all!

Nyoro SF

Thanks to the work of our good friends the Russians we have a bit more insight into the sales of the game on Steam.

http://steamspy.com/app/294860

Using multiple samples accrued from 3/25 onward, it appears around 250,000+ people own the game on Steam, give or take 20k or so. The average playtime per player in a single-day session is 5 hours.

The aggressive sales of the title and the generous, useful Steam gifting system has propagated the game to very high heights. The Steam sales tactic of lowering the price of the title and spreading it among tons of users like a shotgun blast is doing the game great favors. With the slow burn of the title, it would not surprise me to see it reach 400k over the course of 1.5 years (don't hold me to that).

Now we can hope that SEGA is doing something with this data. Clearly it is good. Too bad that SEGA's communication overall is pretty lackluster; they haven't even updated their website's blog in weeks. I guess that's typical of them. :p

Falk

that puzzling face
With the slow burn of the title, it would not surprise me to see it reach 400k over the course of 1.5 years (don't hold me to that).

If VC2/3 ever get ported there'd be another big spike for VC1, both from word of mouth, hypothetical bundles/deals and simply people who e.g. had a PS3 and only played VC1 but couldn't play VC2/3 and thus want a refresher.

ever the idealist

Now we can hope that SEGA is doing something with this data. Clearly it is good. Too bad that SEGA's communication overall is pretty lackluster; they haven't even updated their website's blog in weeks. I guess that's typical of them. :p

If you mean the Sega of America blog, I think that's more because most of the people who were responsible for updating said blog were among the layoffs. I get the feeling communications is going to be spotty until the move to LA is complete.

Nyoro SF

If you mean the Sega of America blog, I think that's more because most of the people who were responsible for updating said blog were among the layoffs. I get the feeling communications is going to be spotty until the move to LA is complete.

I do not envy those who work in the games industry...
Well, that means stilted communication until late summer, I suppose.

Bumping to ask a quick question: I bought the game in the recent sale on Steam, and I'm wondering if there's a "restart mission" button tucked away anywhere? I totally screwed the pooch on my deployment in Chapter 4, and my last save was 2 skirmishes ago.

Alternatively, is it possible to intentionally bomb the mission and restart that way? By waiting out the turn limit, maybe?

Bumping to ask a quick question: I bought the game in the recent sale on Steam, and I'm wondering if there's a "restart mission" button tucked away anywhere? I totally screwed the pooch on my deployment in Chapter 4, and my last save was 2 skirmishes ago.

Alternatively, is it possible to intentionally bomb the mission and restart that way? By waiting out the turn limit, maybe?

You should be able to return to book mode from the pause menu within a campaign. It's a bit less intuitive on PC since it's a menu you have to bring up by pressing Start on PS3, and that behavior has not been changed for the port.

You should be able to return to book mode from the pause menu within a campaign. It's a bit less intuitive on PC since it's a menu you have to bring up by pressing Start on PS3, and that behavior has not been changed for the port.

I dug up a controller and hooked it up, but I'm still not seeing it. Just save, load, settings, and quit to title screen.

Marow

Sadly, there isn't a "Restart" option. It's an utterly baffling design choice, to be frank. The closest you'll get is one-shotting your own tank with a Lancer.

Personally, I did the following: one save in Book Mode, one save on turn 1 on a map, one active save on a map (sometimes more if I felt the map was cheap (hello DLC maps)). I suggest doing this! After all, you seem to have unlimited save slots.

Sadly, there isn't a "Restart" option. It's an utterly baffling design choice, to be frank. The closest you'll get is one-shotting your own tank with a Lancer.

Personally, I did the following: one save in Book Mode, one save on turn 1 on a map, one active save on a map (sometimes more if I felt the map was cheap (hello DLC maps)). I suggest doing this! After all, you seem to have unlimited save slots.

I think I'll just try the lancer :p Was thinking about swapping out the out-of-place units at the bases, but that'll slow me down too much.

I have to say, other than that, I'm hugely enjoying this. Kind of kicking myself for not picking it up earlier, actually.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

It's actually not unlimited. I found that out the hard way xD. There are a LOT of save slots though.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I bought this on Friday and I already put 13ish hours into it. What a fantastic game. Enjoyed reading a bunch of the impressions in here AI figured I might bump as well so more people pick this up.

Should I bother with the mods durante pointed out in the op or are they rather finicky?

I've never run into any game ruining glitches with the mods, although the Dual Shock button prompt one has a glitch where two buttons are swapped, but an update might have fixed that.

Edit: Never mind, got two missions confused.

Instead, I just want to talk about finally beating the Lancer Trial after something like 6-7 blind attempts, mostly involving the whole deployment getting wiped out by tank cannons with uncanny accuracy. Towards the end I eventually learned all the enemy patterns and priorities, and planned out this careful attack where you hide everyone in trenches... Except it ended up taking B-rank numbers of turns.

Finally figured out that you can't A-rank this without the Theimer M20R, which I missed during my first playthrough. So: beat the whole game again, savescummed until two M20Rs dropped, and, finally, was able to beat this mission the intended way.

So that puts the single most time-consuming mission in this entire game behind me.

Marow

No idea how reliable SteamSpy is, but if it's to be trusted... then Valkyria Chronicles has sold over 100,000 copies this Summer Sale. Insane.

Vashzaron

Honestly, the increased AP mods are the only must have mod from that proposed GameFAQs list. The huge mobility penalty for every class that isn't Scouts or Engineers makes a lot of maps a massive pain in the ass, because you have to spend 2+ CP to get these guys in position or just let them sit there and rush with Scouts and Engineers.

Shengar

No idea how reliable SteamSpy is, but if it's to be trusted... then Valkyria Chronicles has sold over 100,000 copies this Summer Sale. Insane.

That's a lot of weaboos.
Speaking of Steamspy, I just checked the geography distribution of the game and I'm very surprised that VC is evenly distributed to the rest of the world. I remember the one who hold the biggest share when it was just only 100-200k or so is the US. Now it was Canada who hold the position with 14.32% of players. This is amazing as it is interesting.

Can they hack the double interception fire rate back in?

Word from the local pedants on your friendly neighborhood Steam Community Forums is that the double interception rate was never actually fixed, or at best toned down.

Steam forums are so fucking pedantic when it comes to this game, man, I've read some weird shit, like this one guy who declared the game a bad port because it referred to his keyboard keys as buttons. Among the myriad of posts about no mouse in menus.

Word from the local pedants on your friendly neighborhood Steam Community Forums is that the double interception rate was never actually fixed, or at best toned down.

Steam forums are so fucking pedantic when it comes to this game, man, I've read some weird shit, like this one guy who declared the game a bad port because it referred to his keyboard keys as buttons. Among the myriad of posts about no mouse in menus.
In all fairness, no mouse in menus is pretty annoying.

But yeah, the steam forums are a weird place.

Falk

that puzzling face
You know what's actually a little disappointing in hindsight is that games like Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1 and 2 actually got mouse support added in. You can click almost anything (even the button prompts at the bottom of the screen that tell you what e.g. A B X Y etc do) and the only thing I found lacking was mousewheel not scrolling in menus.

That doesn't make Valkyria Chronicles a bad port. Heck, if anything the framerate-physics issues would make it a bad port, and that's an extreme stretch too considering how rock-solid the port job was overall.

Wait, what? :v

Thanks man, I'll try that.

Took me a while to realize you can save mid mission too. I completed everything in one sitting up until the first appearance of the blue haired chick who wrecks your shit.
I might finally get around to finishing it now. I got whupped so hard in that mission that even when i finished it, i was so demoralized i shelved the game for a while. Think the same happened to me in the PS3 version back in the day

Took me a while to realize you can save mid mission too. I completed everything in one sitting up until the first appearance of the blue haired chick who wrecks your shit.
I might finally get around to finishing it now. I got whupped so hard in that mission that even when i finished it, i was so demoralized i shelved the game for a while. Think the same happened to me in the PS3 version back in the day
That map was a pain in the ass between the weird hit boxes on the Batomys turrets and Selvaria one-shotting anyone in her line of sight.

That said, get the Eidelweiss backed up halfway to this L shaped bunker on the west map boundary, and you might be able to reaction fire the elite guy to death, then back the Eidelweiss to the bunker and get an engineer hidden in there to fix it up.

But fuck that one mission where you have to get Welkin across a river using a plank bridge... that isn't visible on the map and is difficult to spot when you're actually moving the character.

BTW, who was the person working on the revised English subs in this thread? I'd like them to pass on a question to the GameFAQs modding thread, since they seem to be in it:
Where/what are the variables control interception angle?

If anybody wants a radically different Valkyria Chronicles experience, a fellow by the name of Busard came up with a huge rebalancing mod:
- Alicia, Rosie and Largo are not leader anymore (they don't give a CP and you are not "forced" to deploy them anymore for the CPs). The number of CPs you get has been changed accordingly. Thanks to Loviepoo for that idea.
- Musaad, Lynn, Audrey, Knute and Emile are no longer hidden characters (they can randomly join like the rest).

- Most units have more AP (except scouts and engineers).
- Some units can now intercept (snipers and AT-Cannons).
- Snipers have a small interception radius and they turn more slowly (easier to run from cover to cover) but they have a longer range.
- Troopers have a wider interception radius.
- Blast Armor damage reduction to explosions has been reduced (lancers can still walk on a few mines, but not clear a whole minefield without healing).
- Mines do more damage (both anti-infantry and anti-tank).
- Damage reduction from dodging has been reduced.
- Defense bonus from camps has been increased.
- Defense bonus from crawling is the same as crouching.

- Most enemies are in black armor (aces are still in red armor).
- Enemy stats have been increased (so that their stats would be close to Squad 7 units average stats at the same level).
- Critical (headshot) multiplicator has been reduced (was x3.5 in VC1, x2.5 in VC2~3, I put it at x2).
- Enemy tanks radiator resistance has been increased (similar to VC2~3; no more destroying tanks with scouts).
- Some enemy units who intercept now have enough vsArmor to damage your tanks with their interception fire (for example the guns on Marberry or the AT-cannons).
- Enemy aces and bosses also have modified stats.
- Enemy weapons stats have been changed (won't go into details, so many weapons).

- Some weapons purposes have been changed (for example the R&D sniper rifles have become "anti-infantry", "anti-tank" and "interception". Another example, R&D flamethrowers are "anti-infantry" and "anti-tank".).
- Most weapon stats have been changed (won't go into details but accuracy has been increased for most weapons, less early-game frustration because lancers miss at point-blank).
- The "Aim" stat is truer to the aiming circle size.
- Engineers get their own grenade upgrades (anti-tank grenades).
- Some rifles are scout-only or engineer-only.
- Tank parts have been changed to HP (body and tread), Def (body and tread), Radiator, Accuracy and AP.
- Tank parts are smaller and give a higher bonus.
- Edelweiss last weapon upgrade also increases its weapons power (not only range like in the vanilla version).

- I got rid of the some potentials/orders (caution order, penetration order, resist-crossfire, invincible, phoenix, double-movement). Some I changed into a trade-off (for example, "double movement" became "second wind" potential which restores your AP on top of your HP when you use your ragnaid).
- I also changed some potential effects or activation requirement (for example stealth was completely useless with its defense boost when no-one shoots at you, so instead ot gives an attack boost).
- Potentials have a higher activation rate (many potentials have now 100% activation rate) and the boosts they give have been changed.
- Many orders powers have been changed (for example, defense boost has been lowered, accuracy boost has been increased) and some CP costs have also been changed.
- Orders don't unlock the same way. Leveling each class unlocks 3 orders related to the class main stat (like evasion for scouts, accuracy for snipers, etc...) except engineers who unlock many utility orders. The old man can give you randomly any of his 9 orders right from chapter 4 (Recon Request is still NG+ only).

- Rank turns requirements have been changed accordingly to the changes.
- Battle bonuses have also been changed. Overall, if you A rank and kill all enemies, 50% of the reward is from base bonus, 25% is from rank, 25% is from killing key targets.
- Edy skirmishes don't give any exp/dct reward (no point grinding the scout challenge early-game) and the weapons are pretty different.

Selvaria DLC:
- All imperials are aces
- All imperials are leaders
- All imperials have powerful weapons
- All imperials have high stats
- All gallians shall die!

Mod download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8UcX57M5WX6NU5qSG5HNGJ1Qk0/view?usp=sharing

Nyoro SF

I'm going to post a thread about it once he gives it an official name and has a nicer-looking set of patch notes. Probably tomorrow.

(I thought he was going to be working on it longer to change things like obstacle and enemy placement, but I guess he thought just stat and trigger changes were enough).

EDIT: If we announce it to the public too early without an official name it will create confusion for years. Plus if it breaks something it will also cause chaos. :p

EDIT2: I'm working with a talented script writer on re-inserting subtitles. Haven't started yet because I don't want to write up a whole bunch of lines without knowing what my limits are. Before when I was trying to do it by copping the French translator's work it was agonizing to reinsert the lines, so I'm trying to avoid this problem.

Sarcasm

Man I am having such a hard time and its not even far in the game.

I can't get past the chick in blue mission (where you got that giant tank with the radiators you got to blow).

Help!

I can't get past the chick in blue mission (where you got that giant tank with the radiators you got to blow).

Help!
Which version of the game are you playing? The stock one or Gallian Crossfire?

Because in the stock version, you shouldn't actively fight Selvaria (probably holds true for GC too). Just blow up the radiators to end the mission.

Chariot

Help!
Welcome to you first real mission. Be quick, be smart, use the cover of ruins or the giant tank itself to avoid her fire. You tank should also provide decent cover. Just don't show her your bare backside.

Sarcasm

Which version of the game are you playing? The stock one or Gallian Crossfire?

Because in the stock version, you shouldn't actively fight Selvaria (probably holds true for GC too). Just blow up the radiators to end the mission.

Welcome to you first real mission. Be quick, be smart, use the cover of ruins or the giant tank itself to avoid her fire. You tank should also provide decent cover. Just don't show her your bare backside.

Steam one....not modded or anything. I got to the last one but that chick was able to move almost unlimited. One turn she got to the second outpost and one shot a dude.

Weebos

Banned

Help!

Can't provide much help because it has been a long time since I played, but I remember that mission.

The only casualties I had throughout the campaign were on that mission, RIP Jane and Hannes.

I think I just blitzed the tank as hard as I could.

Steam one....not modded or anything. I got to the last one but that chick was able to move almost unlimited. One turn she got to the second outpost and one shot a dude.
Yeah, you really need to put your guys behind cover and out of Selvaria's line of sight. That said, if you put the Edelweiss in front of this little bunker on the left edge of the map, you can lure her down there and allow your guys to handle the Batomys with less issues.

That said, I'd advise getting an engineer in that bunker to repair the Edelweiss as needed.

JimPanzer

my DS4 isn't working correctly with this game. O and X buttons are both cancel, no matter what I select in the configuration. I have installed the DS3 buton prompts, but I don't think this is the reason...any help?

edit: apparently I can only change the buttons for the XBox controller and not for the generic wireless controller in the config. something to do with that?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm on chapter 4, and have been trying the "Challenges of the Edy Detachment" skirmishes, which are freaking hard. They give a shit ton of EXP, and some really OP weapons as rewards, so I'm starting to wonder if I'm even supposed to be playing this? I beat the scout and sniper ones, and at this rate, if I complete them all, I'll be totally overlevelled for the story missions.

I'm on chapter 4, and have been trying the "Challenges of the Edy Detachment" skirmishes, which are freaking hard. They give a shit ton of EXP, and some really OP weapons as rewards, so I'm starting to wonder if I'm even supposed to be playing this? I beat the scout and sniper ones, and at this rate, if I complete them all, I'll be totally overlevelled for the story missions.

DLC is intended as endgame content, yes. You should finish the main game content first, which excludes the Edy and Selvaria stuff.

Top Bottom