• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered reviews

ev0

Not as sturdy as I would like liked, but still quite impressive and worthwhile for a Valkyria fan like myself.

Hmm based on the spine looks like it's not an actual Steelbook™
Metalpak maybe?

Either way, cool bonus. Looking forward to playing this again!

EYEL1NER

I like how nobody cared when it was on PS3.

smh
I cared enough to buy it new for PS3 but I didn't play my PS3 all that much back then, so it is still sitting on a shelf in the shrink wrap. I tried the demo and loved it, bought the game a while later, and then barely turned my PS3 on ever to only watch Blu Rays on it. I also bought VC 2 for PSP but that was more recently, and I have t played it either. I didn't really NEED to buy this but pre-orders went up around the time Amazon started doing 20% off for pre-orders (and new "within 2 weeks" games) and I figured that was an amazing price for it.
I really do want to play this, but I already have a backlog of PS4 games for when I get around to deciding to buy the console. Currently I have Helldivers and the a Street a Fighter V CE sitting on my shelves, this on pre-order, and there is a great local deal on a copy of Driveclub and Bloodborne that I might jump on, so we'll see if this can get any priority when I get a PS4.

Can't wait to finally dig into this once I'm done with the UC4 campaign next week.

That steel case fot pre ordering is sexy as hell too.

Had no idea about the steel case and I actually preordered it. Nice to know, it looks good.

valkyria_chronicles_bonus._V297926655_.jpg

QaaQer

Slightly OT, but the Udon art book for this game is brilliant--by far the best vg artbook I've seen. It has a ton of commentary from the highly quirky team and some great interviews along with hundreds of designs. It is the reason I don't care about any of the sequels because none of the original team remained. It's a real shame they were either let go or reassigned after VC didn't sell worth shit in NA.

http://www.amazon.com/Valkyria-Chronicles-Design-Archive-Sega/dp/1926778162/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462978197&sr=8-1&keywords=Valkyria+Chronicles%3A+Design+Archive

Oh, and if you order stuff from amazon, think about using a charity referral link because Amazon is really shitty company so giving them less money is good, and giving that money to charity is even better. e.g. http://effective-altruism.com/ea/a3/shop_for_charity_how_to_earn_proven_charities_5/ oh, and the amazon smile program is 0.5% of purchase price vs 5% for charity referral. Amazon smile indeed, lol.

Great game stays great. One of the best romantic couples from Japan that isn't poorly written or have a creepy thing attached to it. Hope all newcomers give it a try and become a fan.

Mugen08

Even though Valkyria Chronicles belong to top three games of last gen the high scores came as a positive surprise. Already got the PS3 and Steam version so I'm not getting it again. Some of you will get nice cases though.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
glad to see the great reviews for what is still one of the best games of all time IMO

I like how nobody cared when it was on PS3.

smh

eh i didnt have the knowledge, power acquisition and internet that i have now though so like i had to prioritize and not risk too much on "weird" japanese games back in the days

a lot of games went over like that when i think about it, one of those regrets is Folklore. i wish they would remaster it or put it up in the PSN

Raven117

Such a lovely game. Would love to see a NEW one (and not like the other sequels) be made for the Ps4.

Everything about it was really quite excellent.

Cornbread78

_Legacy_

Man, I'm gutted this isn't out on XB1. Truly gutted.

I played a couple of chapters on PC years ago and then it got lost in the ether of Steam.

I'm ready to replay one of my favorite games of last gen.

This, and Doom, and having just bought Uncharted 4.

Why you gotta do me in like this video game industry?

Edit: Typos!? In my post!?

Qwark

Just pre-ordered it from Best Buy, I hope I was early enough to still get that Armored Case. This will now be the third copy I own and I still haven't beaten it... I need to buckle down.

QaaQer

Is this game frustrating?

I would like to play it but I'm not sure I have the patience for it if it's in any way unfair

the number one thing with this game is you have to totally ignore the ranking system (s-rank, a-rank, etc). It is based 100% on number of moves and minimizing moves is a terrible way to play the game. Yes you get more exp the higher you rank, but grinding is quick and easy so that doesn't matter.

The grade system was a terrible terrible decision given the fact that you want people to get attached to the characters and enjoy the stories. Having to sacrifice characters who permadie to get an s-rank still makes me mad.

Otherwise, the game isn't frustrating as long as you don't engage hard mode dlc.

Is this better than valk chronicle 2? I wasnt to impressed by that.

Regardless, I have my copy preordered. I'm ready for that delicious hitoshi sakimoto ost

Fury451

Banned
Triple dipping to show my love.

Now, if Sega only brought Yakuza back consistently, we would have a long and happy marriage.

Bought it on PS3, didn't play it very far. Bought it on Steam... didn't play it at all.

Pre-ordered and paid off on PS4.. intend to try to beat it.

I disagree, the PC version contains the ability to add modded textures, 4K resolution, and Gallian Crossfire. It's also $10 cheaper.

I'd like to see a comparison picture using those textures and resolution instead.

Either way, it's good to hear that they did a great port, but it's bittersweet considering we'll never get an update to its sequels.

It also supports 144Hz too.

Glad I've got this preordered. Been meaning to play this game since the PS3 days, but it never happened. Once I'm done with Uncharted 4 and R&C, I'll finally get round to it.

Famassu

VG+ already shipped my copy 3 days ago.

Is this better than valk chronicle 2? I wasnt to impressed by that.

Regardless, I have my copy preordered. I'm ready for that delicious hitoshi sakimoto ost
Valkyria Chronicles 2 is a vastly gimped, extremely grindy & horribly generic-school-animefied version of the VC formula, made for the inferior PSP hardware which caused a lot of limitations that the PS3 version doesn't have. So yes, VC1 is a lot better than VC2. Not that VC2 is total trash, but don't let its quality/style drive you away from VC1 (or VC3, if by some miracle it's ever released in English somehow), since there are some pretty big tonal & quality differences.

Will definitely pick this up.

Never got to finish it the first time through, but I've found myself picking up a few other turn based games trying to scratch this particular itch, when this is the game I really wanted the whole time.

Edit: Hmm, don't see the game on the US PS web storefront. Was going to add it to the ole wish list, but all I see on offer are avatars.

VG+ already shipped my copy 3 days ago.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 is a vastly gimped, extremely grindy & horribly generic-school-animefied version of the VC formula, made for the inferior PSP hardware which caused a lot of limitations that the PS3 version doesn't have. So yes, VC1 is a lot better than VC2. Not that VC2 is total trash, but don't let its quality/style drive you away from VC1 (or VC3, if by some miracle it's ever released in English somehow), since there are some pretty big tonal & quality differences.

PSP had nothing to do with VC2 being crap.

VC2, is, just simply put, a shitty game.

VC3 proved that a real Valkyria Chronicles game can be made on the PSP.

I remember when this came out on steam. I was pretty hyped for it. But the story and most importantly, the story presentation did not pass muster at all. Endless amounts of cutscenes of cliche.

I'll probably give it another shot some day. I just don't get the rave reviews. It's gameplay isn't as good as say xcom 2 too (or at the time I think I was playing divinity original sin and xcom long war).

Elios83

My next game after U4. Already preordered and for just 24€.
Since I missed it on PS3 it will be a new experience for me.

Famassu

PSP had nothing to do with VC2 being crap.

VC2, is, just simply put, a shitty game.

VC3 proved that a real Valkyria Chronicles game can be made on the PSP.
PSP clearly put limitations on the map sizes to the detriment of the game. Of course a good VC can be made on PSP, as VC3 proves, but VC2 suffered from being on PSP and I'd say PSP's limitations also affected VC3 in similar ways. It's just a much better game in other ways so you can forgive the hardware-caused shortcomings.

Top Bottom