• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered reviews

I've never played this but it looks right up my street. It's a good price for a re-release too. When I'm done with Uncharted I'll definitely pick it up.

Jennipeg

As soon as I finish Uncharted i'm getting this, completing this is still my proudest gaming achievement. It's such a difficult game for me, I really struggled in places, but completing a mission made me so happy.

I guess this won't be going up on the PS Store until the day of? I don't see the digital version available for pre-order.

In any case, I can't wait to jump back into VC, it's in my top 5 favorite games of all time, and playing it without the framerate dipping to single digits in tall grass will be a treat.

Koren

the number one thing with this game is you have to totally ignore the ranking system (s-rank, a-rank, etc). It is based 100% on number of moves and minimizing moves is a terrible way to play the game. Yes you get more exp the higher you rank, but grinding is quick and easy so that doesn't matter.

The grade system was a terrible terrible decision given the fact that you want people to get attached to the characters and enjoy the stories. Having to sacrifice characters who permadie to get an s-rank still makes me mad.
I disagree completely on this one...

Aiming the highest rank is dead easy (got almost 100% on my first playthrough) as long as you know it's a speed requirement, and you begin as soon as the first missions (you'll be overleveled for the whole game). And knowing orders are really powerful helps too. This way, you don't have to do any squirmishes missions to grind (or at least, you don't have to), you can just enjoy the story.

People that said me they found the story tedious and difficult had low ranks, especially in the first missions... The game becomes harder if you're not doing good, easier if you're doing well, that's a kind of vicious circle.

(and I enjoyed the game more trying to reduce the number of turns, barring doing Alicia rushes which were... well, anyone who have played the game will understand ;) )

You won't suffer from permadeath because for loosing a character, you have to leave him lying down 3 turns... most missions aren't that long, and rescuing them is easy. If you want to try something really dangerous without backup, you can always send a main character, permadeath is disable for them.

That being said, any way you want to play it, it's not a frustrating game at all (harder difficulties in DLC were welcome), and if you want an even easier game, you can indeed grind a little.

Cornbread78

Might as well ask here:

Have any of the VC vets here created (or know of any) good "Tips for Newcomers" posts/sheets for this game? I'd like to add a post or link in the OT.

Also need a good title for said OT. Any good ideas?
Durante's previous titles: "May the bloodline live forever" "Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay"

I missed the game on PS3 like many others here and I'm going in blind, lol.

Baalzebup

I wouldn't know, I never played it. Thanks for the answer, that's good to hear.

It should be noted that the subtitles of the game are straight out those of the English dub, which sometimes differ quite a lot from the original script. Sometimes it felt like a straight out re-write instead of a localization. It may affect the some of the early impressions of some characters, particularly that of the female main character, Alicia, but it's not like anything can be really done about it, beside understanding enough Japonski to note that something is off.

It is nothing major though.

Cess007

This will be me 3rd attempt at the game. I remember that the last time i got stuck at
the first time Selveria showed up and destroyed my units again and again.

I guess this won't be going up on the PS Store until the day of? I don't see the digital version available for pre-order.

In any case, I can't wait to jump back into VC, it's in my top 5 favorite games of all time, and playing it without the framerate dipping to single digits in tall grass will be a treat.

I really wish I could pre-order the digital version right now.

Koren

Overpowered Alicia with orders. Scouts in general but especially her!
Overpowered is not a strong enough word for this.

I remember reaching the enemy camp, there were 2 soldiers behind sand bags in it, and a tank at their side. Since I couldn't capture the camp (only 1 action remaining), I moved Alicia in the middle and waited. Both soldiers were killed by stray bullets when everyone was firing toward her before she even reached half life (hits were around 0.5% max HP IIRC).

Alicia with orders is a class of overpower on her own.

Does the remaster have a dual audio option does anyone know?

Even the original PS3 version had dual-audio.

I wouldn't know, I never played it. Thanks for the answer, that's good to hear.

As far as I know, every version of the game including this are dual audio.

Yea, all versions of VC1 have included the Japanese audio as an option, the thing with the PC version is that they took out the option for Japanese text.

The only odd part that sticks out in my mind about the English dub is that with the Edy Challenge DLC, NONE of the English voice actors for the Edy Squad voiced the intro and outros for the challenges, as in it's all silent (unlike the Japanese track).

It should be noted that the subtitles of the game are straight out those of the English dub, which sometimes differ quite a lot from the original script. Sometimes it felt like a straight out re-write instead of a localization. It may affect the some of the early impressions of some characters, particularly that of the female main character, Alicia, but it's not like anything can be really done about it, beside understanding enough Japonski to note that something is off.

It is nothing major though.

Yea, I've heard there some changes in the localization's script, it'd be interesting to see a detailed analysis of what was changed.
I think one instance was the scene with Faldio giving an unconscious Alicia the lance and shield.

To be honest I don't mind that there were changes (though that might change if I ever see the differences), because I felt like it was a great localization job. VC1 and Resonance of Fate were ones that stick out in my mind as great localizations (least with English audio dialogue).

Theonik

Yea, all versions of VC1 have included the Japanese audio as an option, the thing with the PC version is that they took out the option for Japanese text.
Actually looking at the back of my PS3 copy there is only English text included. Probably to prevent Japanese people importing it.

The other major language difference is the Western version uses different music for the intro. My guess is SEGA couldn't be bothered/didn't want to spend money on getting the rights cleared for the vocal track on the western version. This happens a lot in this kind of game.

Actually looking at the back of my PS3 copy there is only English text included. Probably to prevent Japanese people importing it.

The other major language difference is the Western version uses different music for the intro. My guess is SEGA couldn't be bothered/didn't want to spend money on getting the rights cleared for the vocal track on the western version. This happens a lot in this kind of game.

Yea, checked my copy just now, I was confused since they actually do include the Japanese text options at times.

The missing licensed (opening/ending/insert) songs happens quite often with what SEGA brings over, which is why I was pleasantly surprised when Dengeki Bunko kept it's theme...although sometimes replacing the opening song is an actual improvement (see Yakuza 4).

amazon emailed me saying my copy is getting shipped tomorrow? Which seems odd considering it isnt coming out till tuesday. Maybe I'll get it a day early? I'm super excited though since it comes out the day before my birthday and all that jazz

OuterLimits

Loved the game except for the idiotic battle rankings. Basing it entirely on speed seemed ridiculous. Damn, got a C, now I have to grind because I didn't speed rush the map.

Sou

Game is good, but too little too late for a remaster.

I have little faith in the new game as well.

This series has been mishandled from the get go and I don't see any sign that shows otherwise.

Cornbread78

Game is good, but too little too late for a remaster.

I have little faith in the new game as well.

This series has been mishandled from the get go and I don't see any sign that shows otherwise.

Huh? How will it be mishandled? Out of all the reviews in this thread, which one said there are any issues with the remaster at all? Having this game remastered is actually a pretty good idea when you take into account how many new gamers there are in the PS4 family right now that we're Wii or 360 only last gen..

I'm not saying that sales will blow anyone away, but it is a very low risk/high reward proposition for gamers and SEGA.

Huh? How will it be mishandled? Out of all the reviews in this thread, which one said there are any issues with the remaster at all? Having this game remastered is actually a pretty good idea when you take into account how many new gamers there are in the PS4 family right now that we're Wii or 360 only last gen..

I'm not saying that sales will blow anyone away, but it is a very low risk/high reward proposition for gamers and SEGA.

...Oh dear, it would seem we have someone here who isn't aware of this IP's history of corporate mismanagement.

The studio that made this game was dissolved soon after this game's release in a restructuring*, and had a sequel shat out ASAP on an NES-tier budget made by outsourced developers. It was shit, it flopped, and Sega immediately ceased localizing the series, and when the third game (Which was good) failed to meet sales expectations due to 85% of the fanbase being shut out, Sega turned the IP into a Mobile game and a Pachinko machine - The former of which was again a failure and effectively put the IP on ice until Valkyria Chronicles got picked by Sega Europe's PC port RNG. As far as I can tell, that's basically how this series got revived.

So yeah, a lot of us don't want Sega to fuck this up. Few series get second-chances like this one did. I can't name any that got a third.

*Not fired like how most studio closings go, at least in the case of most of them. But we're talking a full production team that had been working with eachother directly on the same projects since the days of the Genesis - Scattered into various generic-named R&D Bureaus. I don't think more than a few at a time of this game's producers have worked together on the same project at once since this one's development finished. Dengeki Bunko FC probably had the highest concentration of the VC1 dev team since VC1 went gold.

Velikost

Does anyone know if we get the game in the standard plastic case with the steel case on the side?

Or is the game just in the steel case?

"All launch copies of Valkyria Chronicles Remastered will come packaged in this limited edition metal case, making this a true collector's version."

Taken straight from the Gamestop page. They're all coming in this metal case.

Cornbread78

...Oh dear, it would seem we have someone here who isn't aware of this IP's history of corporate mismanagement.

So yeah, a lot of us don't want Sega to fuck this up. Few series get second-chances like this one did. I can't name any that got a third.

Yeah, I knew the story behind VC and how they screwed it up (it's well documented here, lol) but from everything that has been said a written, this remaster is really well done and even improves on stuff like loading times, which drove people crazy.

Now, with that being said, it would be nice to get VC2/3 on PS4/Vita in EU & NA, but I'm just glad we are getting this updated version for PS4 and I'm not really expecting anything else..

Qwark

amazon emailed me saying my copy is getting shipped tomorrow? Which seems odd considering it isnt coming out till tuesday. Maybe I'll get it a day early? I'm super excited though since it comes out the day before my birthday and all that jazz

Best Buy sent mine out today, I was surprised, might get it a day early. Maybe Sega gave them go ahead just to ship stuff out.

*Not fired like how most studio closings go, at least in the case of most of them. But we're talking a full production team that had been working with eachother directly on the same projects since the days of the Genesis - Scattered into various generic-named R&D Bureaus. I don't think more than a few at a time of this game's producers have worked together on the same project at once since this one's development finished. Dengeki Bunko FC probably had the highest concentration of the VC1 dev team since VC1 went gold.

What was the team? And what did they work on previously?

QaaQer

Might as well ask here:

Have any of the VC vets here created (or know of any) good "Tips for Newcomers" posts/sheets for this game? I'd like to add a post or link in the OT.

Also need a good title for said OT. Any good ideas?
Durante's previous titles: "May the bloodline live forever" "Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay"

I missed the game on PS3 like many others here and I'm going in blind, lol.

Go in blind and don't use a guide unless you absolutely have to is really the only tip I'd give aside from not bothering with the ranking system. Some seem to have found the game incredibly easy and didn't lose any characters to get s rank tho. I did not find s rank easy and I felt like I had to sacrifice people to get them, so YMMV.

As for thread title 'Anime WWII Fanfic' or 'So Welkin Gets to be Leader Because He has His own Tank?'

Famassu

As I said earlier in the thread, Videogamesplus shipped my copy on Monday. That's 8 days before release. Dunno if they did that so that I'd get the game on or around the release day (their deliveries to Finland usually take about a week or so, give or take a day or two), but I was kinda surprised it was shipped so early. I mean, their site is still only taking "pre-orders" for the game.

Best Buy sent mine out today, I was surprised, might get it a day early. Maybe Sega gave them go ahead just to ship stuff out.

I think they worked on at least Skies of Arcadia, maybe games like Sakura Taisen etc. as well.

Qwark

As I said earlier in the thread, Videogamesplus shipped my copy on Monday. That's 8 days before release. Dunno if they did that so that I'd get the game on or around the release day (their deliveries to Finland usually take about a week or so, give or take a day or two), but I was kinda surprised it was shipped so early. I mean, their site is still only taking "pre-orders" for the game.

I think they worked on at least Skies of Arcadia, maybe games like Sakura Taisen etc. as well.

I love Skies, talented team. Still holding out for that HD remaster.

Kyrios

Think I'll get the digital version once I'm in the mood to play this again. Played through the PS3 version so many times.

This is good. First thing that came to mind for me was "I can go another round!"

It really should be one of the double movement lines. Might as well use Alicia's since that sound clip is likely burned into the memories of everyone who A-ranked skirmishes.

WOW Overworks.

Skies of Arcadia, Sakura Wars, and most importantly, Sega Bass Fishing.

Spinluck

I pre-ordered on Amazon, my friend who works at Gamestop had no clue regarding the steelbook. So I hope it comes with my Amazon package.

Boyos you'd better make this game chart or I'm going to go back to the bunker I was hiding in before VC1's PC port was announced.

...Y'know, it makes me sad, actually, to think that this is an IP that will have taken almost a decade to not go uncharted. I'll be even sadder if VC once again goes uncharted because of Uncharted.

(VC1 outselling a ACUnity and Ghosts (Until Ghosts went on sale) hardly counts. Unity and Ghosts had no real sales potential on PC anyway. There was no contest there.)

My best friend is so happy that im finally going to complete this.
Have it on ps3 but just didnt finish it.
He keeps telling me hes expecting a phone call after i finish chapter 7...

Top Bottom