• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces a new portable, Steam Deck

.Pennywise

Banned
So it has a SteamOS that supports ALL my Steam games, but it also it's just a PC. So I can install whatever the heck I like?

SO YOU'RE TELLING ME I HAVE THE ULTIMATE EMULATOR HANHELD WHERE I CAN PLAY ANY SEGA GENESIS, SNES, NINTENDO 64, PSX, SEGA DREAMCAST, GAMECUBE, PS2, XBOX, PS3, XBOX 360, WII, ETC ETC ETC. GAMES!?

ALSO, ALL MY GAME PASS GAMES!

Futurama Reaction GIF

Make It Rain Reaction GIF

Vanessa Lengies Money GIF

happy money talks GIF by King Parts

Go Saturday Night Live GIF by Morphin

Vintage Money GIF

Take It Floyd Mayweather GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

cash register money GIF

happy make it rain GIF by HP

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Does not look like a valve product.
The logo is weird
The buttons are right on the edge which seems uncomfortable.
who want to buy my never opened steam controller for 500 dollars

hemo memo

Gold Member
So it has a SteamOS that supports all my Steam games, but it also it's just a PC. So I can install whatever the heck I like?

SO YOU'RE TELLING ME I HAVE THE ULTIMATE EMULATOR HANHELD WHERE I CAN PLAY ANY SEGA GENESIS, SNES, NINTENDO 64, PSX, SEGA DREAMCAST, GAMECUBE, PS2, XBOX, PS3, XBOX 360, WII, ETC ETC ETC. GAMES!?
And with both Sony and Microsoft games on PC you don’t really need more than this and a Switch if you like Nintendo games.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wonder how many of my over 4,000 Steam games will be playable on this thing out of the box

ShadowNate

Looks great. I'll wait for some proper reviews.

Can we add "third party" games on it, like we can do with the desktop Steam client?

I'd like to put all my favorite DRM-free games on it.

Last edited:

Fbh

Aside from the awkward button placing this looks pretty nice to be honest. Shame it's AMD and not NVIDIA, SSL would have been amazing on this.
Love how open they are about people being able to use this however they want. The library of games should be massive and it will probably also be an amazing emulator machine.

Will definitely wait for reviews and hands on impressions from people around here before considering it. But if it's good I might sell my 1050ti laptop and just go with one of these and a cheaper, lighter work laptop

Nintendo looking at their brilliant OLED Switch idea:

Temptation Island No GIF by RTL

I mean. Switch will still destroy this in sales, while making way more money per unit too.

It's not that Nintendo can't make a system with those specs. But with their profit focused mentality the base 64gb model would probably be $599

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Found something I can use my Xmas gift card on finally.

But that placement is a total wtf. Might take some getting use to.

Last edited:

tkscz

It's about time Nintendo gets their teeth kicked in
Just like the Game Gear did to the Gameboy... wait.

This isn't going to reach Switch's levels of success, HOWEVER, I do hope it reaches some sort of success. I really want the handheld gaming device to catch on more.

I mean, the machine is fugly as all get out. Valve can't seem to design controls that well, but the pricing is smart for the power it provides.

Battery is one thing I didn't see mention and that's very important to handhelds.

Ribi

already more games than the switch :3

but that battery life... surely they could have fit something bigger in there and knowing amd it would have easily gotten 5+ hours as a minimum

Last edited:

Interfectum

Just like the Game Gear did to the Gameboy... wait.

This isn't going to reach Switch's levels of success, HOWEVER, I do hope it reaches some sort of success. I really want the handheld gaming device to catch on more.

I mean, the machine is fugly as all get out. Valve can't seem to design controls that well, but the pricing is smart for the power it provides.

Battery is one thing I didn't see mention and that's very important to handhelds.
2-8 hours

Portal 2 can be played for "4 hours"

Pejo

I'm going for the $529 model for the NVMe and case. Man I hope these things don't sale out right away. Not sure how I feel about that little $5 reserve cost. I am ready to pay for it all now

nDqAP13.png
which site are you using to get this reminder? or is this just a screenshot from someone else?

Astral Dog

This rather shits all over the Switch.

I was tempted to buy the OLED Switch, but will get this big bitch instead now.

Exactamundo.
im not buying either, patiently waiting Switch 2 reveal while there are cool games on the horizon, all Nintendo portables so far have their Seal of Quality ;^)

But this Valve big boy looks interesting,gamers should have fun with it, i wonder how its gonna handle next gen only games :O

Edit:read more on Valve Boy, its awesome, 🤯 alot of potential with this thing, will watch how this evolves

Last edited:

Fredrik

Hands-on, IGN played it:

Can IGN be trusted these days?
In this article this sounds… great. They even commented on the odd button layout and said it worked great.
I especially liked that you can install whatever you want on this thing, even another OS. And dock it and connect a screen and use mouse and keyboard. It’s a PC. A portable PC. Interesting.

Kokoloko85

Good idea. Controls Look a bit iffy but its a good idea.

XBox and Playstation can both jump into the handheld market too.

Xbox with cloud+ gamepass and there library.

Playstation by offering there entire PS4/PS5 library off the get go. No more Dedicated studios making portable games.

The tech is catching up so you just need to have a downgraded version of every game for your portable Playstation or Xbox. Sd cards are great too

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
which site are you using to get this reminder? or is this just a screenshot from someone else?

I used the reminder feature there, within the Steam client, to create a reminder for my Steam App on my phone, and scheduled an appointment in Google Calendar. Just remember to allow notifications from your Steam app on your phone.

Dr Bass

It's about time Nintendo gets their teeth kicked in
First off, this is not going to do it. I think it looks interesting, but yeah, not gonna happen.

Secondly, why? If you don't like Nintendo, just don't buy their stuff. Why would you wish active harm on them. Kinda bizarre.

ZywyPL

Banned
There's your Switch Pro. I like the specs and price a lot, but the proportions are so bad, why is it so damn wide (and ugly)? I'll keep my eye on this thing, but I cannot fight the feeling this will end up exactly like Steam Machines, for the exact same reasons (closed specs and no optimization, a.k.a. worst of both worlds).

I wonder how many of my over 4,000 Steam games will be playable on this thing out of the box
According to ProtonDB, of the top 1000 games currently on Steam, 76% have a rating of Gold or higher (or are native Linux), which means they can be played fully with either minor problems or slight performance loss. And Valve are saying they plan to push for anti-cheat compatibility to be achieved ahead of the thing's launch, so I'd expect a full 80-85% of your games to work well.

Top Bottom