• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces a new portable, Steam Deck

Kimahri

Banned
Good god, my thumb is cramping up just looking at those XYAB buttons. Hell no! The Switch is horrid enough in handheld, I'm not doing this to my hands.

kyliethicc

Pretty interrsting how they copied the Switch design so closely.

And yeah it seems very useful (cuz its a PC), but looks uncomfortable to hold.

Last edited:

Spacefish

I already have a switch and a PC but I'm probably going to buy this instead of a ps5.

I do wish there was a smaller variant without the touchpads that was similar in size to the switch.

Last edited:

Raploz

Even with SteamOS this thing can play a lot of Windows games using Proton, and since it ships with KDE Plasma (Google it) it will have a very familiar user interface for any one used to Windows.

reksveks

So you would need to install Windows for Game Pass?

I wonder if this would be DirectX12U compatible? Also with the nvme ssd option would it be compatible with Direct Storage?
Might be 12u compatible but think the storage size is still technically too small for direct storage. I don't think the current Microsoft store is supported in proton as well

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can you mouse keyboard while docked?
Thumbs skyward

3CdMA8X.png

This looks incredible. And it's already got a phenomenal library of games on it!

I can play my Steam games at home on my PC and then carry on playing when I have to commute to the office or when I go on holiday. And it's not just Steam games but all my games across all PC launchers! I can't believe how good this looks.

Simply incredible. It probably won't sell as much as the switch but they are gonna sell one at least!

SCB3

I’m not 100% sold on this, I may go for the cheapest version, this could be a emulation dream if Retroarch can be installed

MiguelItUp

As expected, some of the same "haters", and that's fine! Those of y'all that are oddly hyper committed to a single (and different) platform, aren't meant to be excited about this. It's clearly not for you.

This may not be for everyone, but I think it's definitely neat. Has some good specs for sure, also appreciate the number of choices for those interested in purchasing.

I'm certainly interested, but I'd love to hold it first. Or at least get more impressions.

Is there fine text somewhere that says if I buy this I'm giving Valve money to create Half Life 3 and Team Fortress 3? 👀

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I'm amazed there's so much interest and hype for this. Not only does it look atrocious it also seems incredibly underpowered and on the flipside far too expensive for what it offers.

Horses for courses I suppose. More power to those that care for it. I have yet to see any hardware from Valve that I'm interested in. I hope one day they do away with their weird industrial designs for starters...

reksveks

As expected, lot of "haters", and that's fine! Those y'all are that oddly hyper committed to a single platform, aren't meant to be excited about this. It's clearly not for you.

This may not be for everyone, but I think it's definitely neat. Has some good specs for sure, also appreciate the number of choices for those interested in purchasing.

I'm certainly interested, but I'd love to hold it first. Or at least get more impressions.

Is there fine text somewhere that says if I buy this I'm giving Valve money to create Half Life 3 and Team Fortress 3? 👀
Think the thread is largely positive, there are some concerns bit still positive.

I will reserve and wait for the reviews, and possibly cancel if needed.

I also really want Microsoft to copy this or stick gamepass on steam.

LQX

I'm amazed there's so much interest and hype for this. Not only does it look atrocious it also seems incredibly underpowered and on the flipside far too expensive for what it offers.

Horses for courses I suppose. More power to those that care for it. I have yet to see any hardware from Valve that I'm interested in. I hope one day they do away with their weird industrial designs for starters...
What are you comparing it against?

Pejo

Gold Member
I don't have the ability to look up stuff about this right now, so if anyone knows - Does this thing have a TB3 port (which might make it compatible with a eGPU?)

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like they subsidize a lot here to bring it down to the price of 400 bucks.
I was about to buy a china handheld for the same price to emulate games on. Now it will be this.

packy34

I mean, okay, sure, when compared to current-gen top of the line hardware, this isn't very powerful.

But it's an open platform that can run essentially PC's entire catalog + emulators + anything else a PC can do, all in a portable form factor. It's honestly incredible. At $50 more than Switch OLED at 4x the power and 100000x the library... I'm not sure how this looks outright bad.

reksveks

it can probably play games at 1080p just fine with the hardware, it's just the screen is 800p.
Yeah, I was thinking but might be a bit weird and dependents on the dock. I don't know how its going to change clocks.

I don't have the ability to look up stuff about this right now, so if anyone knows - Does this thing have a TB3 port (which might make it compatible with a eGPU?)
Tb3 is still largely Intel exclusive so doubt it.

Top Bottom