• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve cut artist's Dota Workshop revenue from 25% to 6% over the last year

bounchfx

I can't imagine they would want to do that whether in Team Fortress 2, CSGo or Dota 2, community-generated items are a win-win-win. Valve gets quality items in high quantities and for less than if they had to outsource the designs or hire a full in-house design team. Workshop members get an opportunity to make real money (enough to live on and do well, in theory) and expand their portfolio. Players get a regular stream of content to enjoy.

Where is the weakness in that system? Why would they want to move away from it? It's been working well for nearly a decade, going back to TF2.

Valve just needs to give these people their fuckin money. I'm furious at the very principle of the matter.

I honestly never understood why they felt the need to change their system. It worked fucking fine for a while.

It's interesting to read the artists' point of view on how things have changed. I never considered just how much artists depend on those Major chests for their sets to get into the game. And how few sets are getting into the game outside those chests.

It's definitely not a good move by Valve to stop paying artists a cut of the battle pass sales. The items in the battle pass are quite obviously the biggest incentive to buy them.

I hope Valve reads that reddit post and reconsiders their stance. They have to understand the benefit of keeping their artists happy and just how much value they contribute to the popularity of Dota 2.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"We wanted even more money"

It just seems so short sighted. Like, it might work for one Battle Pass or two while they still have a backlog of items to go through but as time goes on and people drop out out of the system to work on other more lucrative projects it's going to mean less sales in the long run.

Chris R

I stopped buying hats because

a) Don't care for 99% of the stuff that comes out, outside of a few EXTRA RARE items
b) Don't want to gamble for the EXTRA RARE items

My purchases are pretty much limited to Battle Passes/Majors now days. Wish Volvo would go back in the game and take a bunch of items out that kinda break the look and feel of certain champions but I know they wont. Sucks for the artists out of $$$ tho

Apathy

Agreed! 6% is downright insulting.

It's like when you get terrible service at a restaurant, you give a pittance as a tip instead of zero, cause at 0 they just think you're a jerk that doesn't tip, at a pittance you are telling them their service was shit.

6% is like a slap in the face of the creators.

It just seems so short sighted. Like, it might work for one Battle Pass or two while they still have a backlog of items to go through but as time goes on and people drop out out of the system to work on other more lucrative projects it's going to mean less sales in the long run.

tbqh, a lot of decisions Valve has made related to the cosmetic economies of their games has felt short sighted.

The actual item market trade market is dead because of short-sighted economy decisions.

A-V-B

So, all that free market-y workshop talk was a ruse. Start high, get people ingrained, then suffocate the shit out of them.

Jesus Christ, Valve.

Jawmuncher

Fuck outta here valve. Like you don't got enough money.
Now people can understand why so many were up and arms agaisnt "paying" for mods. Since at the end of the day, it was going to get so skewed that the creators wouldn't get much of anything compared to valve and the publisher cuts.

Mrbob

What's worse is the lack of response by Valve on the issue. These artists help hype their big tournaments yet Gabe can't give them the time of day for a single response? Poor form.

dhonk

No disrespect to the folks who work hard on this knda thing, but you're always taking a risk when you're using someone else's platform to make money

It just sucks when you know if you started doing it 2 years earlier, you would have been paid more than double.

jelly

I wonder if Gabe got that rich man hoarding bug. He doesn't really need the money but just loves seeing it go up more than anything else.

I know Microsoft are greedy bastards too but if there was ever a time to get into user created content, modding for their games, soon would be a good time. Pigs will fly but with all the stuff Microsoft has, why not.

wildfire

Banned
Valve is not obligated to allow you to make money with or on their platform. Same thing for YouTube.

Valve wants money and made a profit deal to convince artists to make content on their platform. They shouldn't negotiate? Are you as dumb as a Trump voter?

A-V-B

What's worse is the lack of response by Valve on the issue. These artists help hype their big tournaments yet Gabe can't give them the time of day for a single response? Poor form.

I admit I'm now ashamed that I used to look up to him when I was a kid. Used to think he was creating something different to break away from a hegemonic video game culture. Now I find out he's just making another one of his own.

So it goes.

I honestly never understood why they felt the need to change their system. It worked fucking fine for a while.

They have so many submissions that it just boiled down to the supply and demand. If artists submit 10x amount the items that you intend to sell, then they can get away with a drastically lower cut for those artists because, at the end of the day, there will be enough artists left to create items.

It is a pure greed. Getting 75/25 of the revenue was a god-tier as far as third-party generated content goes. Even the largest content websites like Turbosquid will offer you something like a 50% cut if you agree to their terms fully.

Bluth54

Hey guys they pretty much did this to Team Fortress 2 too. But no one really dared to speak up. Its been about 2 years of this shit for TF2. It has pretty much made me quit making TF2 items, its no longer sustainable.

source: I have 30+ self mades in Team Fortress 2

I know they've mostly switched over from selling cosmetics in the store (with 25% of revenue) to key events (which divides 12.5% of the revenue between the cosmetic creators). It's unfortunate to hear that that brings the revenue down so much, I had always wondered about how the revenue has changed but people have mostly been tight lipped about it.

Sibylus

Banned
I can't imagine they would want to do that whether in Team Fortress 2, CSGo or Dota 2, community-generated items are a win-win-win. Valve gets quality items in high quantities and for less than if they had to outsource the designs or hire a full in-house design team. Workshop members get an opportunity to make real money (enough to live on and do well, in theory) and expand their portfolio. Players get a regular stream of content to enjoy.

Where is the weakness in that system? Why would they want to move away from it? It's been working well for nearly a decade, going back to TF2.

Valve just needs to give these people their fuckin money. I'm furious at the very principle of the matter.

It's even worse than it sounds on the tin. They get high quality items by the truckload without having to pay a cent of salary or wages, just a pathetic percentage of a small subset of future sales. Might as well go public and invest in blood diamonds and shit at this rate.

dhonk

I know they've mostly switched over from selling cosmetics in the store (with 25% of revenue) to key events (which divides 12.5% of the revenue between the cosmetic creators). It's unfortunate to hear that that brings the revenue down so much, I had always wondered about how the revenue has changed but people have mostly been tight lipped about it.

Heres the real kicker. They stop selling keys for "limited" crates after a while. So you dont even get sustained 12.5 percent cut after they get rid of the keys. You dont get anything but a poor lump sum.

If the same item was added before the new system you'd easily make 8 or more times the money.

wildfire

Banned
They have so many submissions that it just boiled down to the supply and demand. If artists submit 10x amount the items that you intend to sell, then they can get away with a drastically lower cut for those artists because, at the end of the day, there will be enough artists left to create items.

It is a pure greed. Getting 75/25 of the revenue was a god-tier as far as third-party generated content goes. Even the largest content websites like Turbosquid will offer you something like a 50% cut if you agree to their terms fully.

I doubt this turbosquid is close to Bethesda when they flirted with the idea for 1 month let alone Valve who is clearly a vastly bigger company.

You are right it's all about greed. Valve's economists pretty much calculated how much they can shrink their creative partner shares because of how much Valve has an outsized presence to give these artists the opportunity to make money in such a manner.

This honestly sounds like Valve is so big they could be a valid target for anti-trust laws since they are an American business.

That's ridiculous if true, I hope it comes back and bites Valve on the ass financially, they don't have the man power to pump out the amount of content the community was making for their games.

Bluth54

Heres the real kicker. They stop selling keys for "limited" crates after a while. So you dont even get sustained 12.5 percent cut after they get rid of the keys. You dont get anything but a poor lump sum.

If the same item was added before the new system you'd easily make 8 or more times the money.

I don't think they ever stop selling the keys for the crates in the mann co store (I just checked and everything from Invasion to End of the Line to the 2013 fall crates are still on the store) but I know they make crates a rare drop after awhile so it's extremely rare to find them so I'm not surprised sales eventually drop off a cliff.

You should make a post about it on the TF2 subreddit, we do know for a fact that the TF2 team reads that quite a bit (and at least one member of the team occasionally posts there). If Valve gets pressure on this issue from multiple fronts they may actually make some changes.

dhonk

I don't think they ever stop selling the keys for the crates in the mann co store (I just checked and everything from Invasion to End of the Line to the 2013 fall crates are still on the store) but I know they make crates a rare drop after awhile so it's extremely rare to find them so I'm not surprised sales eventually drop off a cliff.

You should make a post about it on the TF2 subreddit, we do know for a fact that the TF2 team reads that quite a bit (and at least one member of the team occasionally posts there). If Valve gets pressure on this issue from multiple fronts they may actually make some changes.

Mm, thats true I might have to go post.

But this is a limited crate I have an item in that I no longer see revenue for: https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Limited_Late_Summer_Pack

The existing uncrated items continue to be bought and sold on Steam Market with no cut to us.

sanstesy

That's ridiculous if true, I hope it comes back and bites Valve on the ass financially, they don't have the man power to pump out the amount of content the community was making for their games.

Valve can't lose here and they know it. The number of people directly affected is just too small for this ever to amount to something bigger.

Valve can't lose here and they know it. The number of people directly affected is just too small for this ever to amount to something bigger.

But wouldn't the lack of financial incentive for hat makers mean less stuff is being made leading to less sales of cases and items?

dhonk

But wouldn't the lack of financial incentive for hat makers mean less stuff is being made leading to less sales of cases and items?

They have a GIGANTIC backlog of content. I suspect they could sustain the game with the existing items for the next 5 years. People in China are going to continue making items too.

Bluth54

Mm, thats true I might have to go post.

But this is a limited crate I have an item in that I no longer see revenue for: https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Limited_Late_Summer_Pack

The existing uncrated items continue to be bought and sold on Steam Market with no cut to us.

Well to be fair that crate did say it would be limited. I think that crate came out in the early days of event crates and Valve was trying to experiment with what would increase sales so they tried a limited crate.
But yeah I agree that the issue is problematic. I'm not sure why Valve doesn't share 25% of key sales with item creators instead of the current 12.5%.
One thing I would also like to see is a 1% "item creators fee" for any cosmetic items sold on the Steam community market that goes directly to the item maker.

dhonk

Well to be fair that crate did say it would be limited. I think that crate came out in the early days of event crates and Valve was trying to experiment with what would increase sales so they tried a limited crate.
But yeah I agree that the issue is problematic. I'm not sure why Valve doesn't share 25% of key sales with item creators instead of the current 12.5%.
One thing I would also like to see is a 1% "item creators fee" for any cosmetic items sold on the Steam community market that goes directly to the item maker.

12.5 percent? HAH. We wish.

2017-03-29_18-31-36.png

woodland

Yea - as good as Dota is in terms of gameplay and gameplay-related features, Valve's been doing a poorer and poorer job handling its other aspects.

Programmable bots? Believe they've been pretty much abandoned.
Tutorial? Same story.
Guides? I believe they take awhile after patches to get updated/fixed.
Website? Doesn't have talents, the biggest gameplay addition to Dota since... Idk. Since I've been playing, and that's 2010/11.
Custom games? Lol.
Cosmetics? Most of them are Valve-made (it seems like, though I could be wrong) and only come from Compendium's nowadays. Furthermore, the ones in the compendiums all have excessive particles and break the original rules that Valve gave community artists to follow (color schemes, silhouettes, etc.). The ones that aren't made by Valve but are released are pretty awful - see the DAC Compendium (Whoa, another compendium?) and its boring sets.

Other examples of cosmetics that get the shoe-in over more deserving ones are the shitty holiday ones. Valve spends time trying to get Chinese money by doing New Year's events, but the original events that showed alternative game modes and the possibilities of custom games like Diretide/Frostivus are omitted, ignored, or barely acknowledged with a hat on Roshan, a mob that is less worth taking than ever.

Finally, Valve's economy has been in the shitter. Any items you get from games can't be sold, you can RARELY buy an item directly from Valve's store unless it's an arcana. They took away level up gifts/items. Again, pretty much all new items flow from Compendiums. Can't remember the last time we got wards from a non-Compendium chest.

I don't play as much as I used to, so please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points, but Valve barely seems to put any effort into the non-gameplay side of the game anymore.

Fuck this revenue cut, it's completely shitty and seems to be reflective of Valve's feelings on the game lately.

sanstesy

6% is 6%. There will still be enough skins made even if the quality is lower nevermind the fact that they get a 94% cut instead of a 75% one for free work done by the community.

Valve won't be hurting I promise!

They have a GIGANTIC backlog of content. I suspect they could sustain the game with the existing items for the next 5 years. People in China are going to continue making items too.

Yeah you're right, didn't think of that.

6% is 6%. There will still be enough skins made even if the quality is lower nevermind the fact that they get a 94% cut instead of a 75% one for free work done by the community.

Valve won't be hurting I promise!

Valve gonna make their money regardless, sure won't lead to any growth in the hat making scene I would imagine.

Quonny

This was one of the things I wished Riot would borrow from. Maybe not the same exact structure, but allow some customer influence.

But this seems really shitty.

dhonk

I upvoted you. Hopefully your post gets some traction on the TF2 subreddit. The more visibility on the issue the more likely Valve is to change it.

Thanks man! As far as I know, upvotes from direct links either dont count or count as a downvote? I think? Reddit is weird haha. But still I appreciate it.

By the way, me and our team made http://frontline.tf/ which we think is the best work we've all ever made. No response from Valve lol.

This sounds really bad if I'm understanding it correctly. I know it's their platform and their game, but this sounds borderline an abuse of the community.

Fuck Valve.

There is absolutely no reason why these artists -- which include some of my favorite GAFers BounchFX and Anuxi -- have to live the starving artists lifestyle while Valve takes more and more of the money away from them for the items being used to convince people to buy their compendiums and chests at a high price.

The insult to injury is the regression back to being opaque and unresponsive to communication attempts. It's unprofessional and shows an abject lack of respect for their community and artists. This is a problem that feels unique to Valve: even Microsoft has a monkey out there (Nelson) responding to twitter and somewhat engaging the community. This shit has been a thing at Valve for a long fucking time, with DireTide being one of the straws that broke the camel's back some years ago. You'd think they would have learned. They clearly have not.

So fuck Valve.

The worst part for me is that I'm not sure if I cease future purchases of treasure chests if it huts Valve...or the artists? :-/
Poor Major doesn't deserve this lol.

But I wouldn't say "even Ms does this", Xbox level of interaction with the community seems very unique, gaming industry or otherwise.

Bluth54

Wait it was 25% BEFORE? Got dang that's low.
Valve used to sell TF2 comsetic items in the in game store where they paid out 25% of the revenue earned to the item creator. Now nearly all items are in crates and the item creators get a percentage of the key sales for the crates (which I had always heard was 12.5% split among the item creators, though dhonk says it can go as low as 7%).

Thanks man! As far as I know, upvotes from direct links either dont count or count as a downvote? I think? Reddit is weird haha. But still I appreciate it.

By the way, me and our team made http://frontline.tf/ which we think is the best work we've all ever made. No response from Valve lol.

It looks like it's already on the front page of the TF2 subreddit which is good.

I would be shocked if Frontline doesn't make it into TF2 at some point, but after what happened with Invasion I can't really blame Valve for not wanting community managed projects anymore.

I would be willing to bet that after the Jungle update comes out they announce a war themed/frontline themed update next. The theme is way too popular with the community for Valve to ignore.

It was transparent as fuck when they wanted to monetize mods for other games. Valve is not modders friends. They want to make money off them and give them pennies.

dhonk

It looks like it's already on the front page of the TF2 subreddit which is good.

I would be shocked if Frontline doesn't make it into TF2 at some point, but after what happened with Invasion I can't really blame Valve for not wanting community managed projects anymore.

I would be willing to bet that after the Jungle update comes out they announce a war themed/frontline themed update next. The theme is way too popular with the community for Valve to ignore.

Good lord I'd love to talk about Invasion someday. What a disaster, mostly caused by 3 big egos.

Top Bottom