• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ben Affleck steps down as director of 'The Batman'

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think this more than anything points to DC trying to lighten it's cinematic universe up more than it does any kind of hard reboot. It's clear from the SS reshoots and whatever they are doing to JL they are trying to tone down the 90s extreme darkness, and Afflek is not a great choice for an action comedy director. Or maybe it's something worse than that.

They are still making vast sums of money on these films, even with bad cinema scores. They will very likely still be forgiven by audiences for another year or two because they will just put Batman/Harley/Supes/the joker into all of their movies.

My guess is we are going to get a Batman movie in this universe no matter fucking what along with SS and JL movies. The remainder of the stand alone films could be in real danger though.

The Batman, directed by Ben Affleck, starring Zack Snyder
If you think about it, Zack Snyder could be an older Hal Jordan.

If Justice League disappoints at the box office, do you think the Batman movie will even happen? Or will they do a reboot?

If JL makes 500-700 millions or less, Snyder will get out of the DCEU (I'm sure the first director who will make his DCEU film a commercial and critical success will helm the JL2) and WB will push for a Batman film. If that fails, I believe they will reboot if they can do it. In case they can't, I'm not sure what they will do. Maybe they will copy the MCU.

If you think about it, Zack Snyder could be an older Hal Jordan.

If JL makes 500-700 millions or less, Snyder will get out of the DCEU (I'm sure the first director who will make his DCEU film a commercial and critical success will helm the JL2) and WB will push for a Batman film. If that fails, I believe they will reboot if they can do it. In case they can't, I'm not sure what they will do. Maybe they will copy the MCU.

I kind of assumed they would push forward with Batman Beyond movie as rumored, Suicide Squad, and possibly Teen Titans movies.

CloudWolf

Here guys Kevin hoping in immediately
2ciu1iqn53dy.png

Poor Kevin, Yoga Hosers wasn't that ba-- oh wait, yes it was. Good lord, what happened man, you made Clerks!

I kind of assumed they would push forward with Batman Beyond movie as rumored, Suicide Squad, and possibly Teen Titans movies.

I can see a Batman Beyond movie happening only in two cases: 1) WB cancels the DCEU and chooses to make standalone films, but doesn't want to make another Bruce Wayne movie, so they go with Batman Beyond which maintains the Batman vibe while being a new concept, 2) the DCEU continues, but Affleck is too old to be Batman anymore after 8-10 years, so Terry comes in DCEU as the new Batman but isn't that "Beyond". Some will say that the second option is not the true Batman Beyond and they are right, but I don't think the general audience will care.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Poor Kevin, Yoga Hosers wasn't that ba-- oh wait, yes it was. Good lord, what happened man, you made Clerks!

He's been pretty straightforward in a few of his podcasts the last year or so that he's past any stage of giving any fucks anymore. Just wants to make low budget weird movies with his friends

I guess when youre a director worth a couple million or whatever Ksmith is worth that's how you go on vacation? Call it a movie so it pays for itself?

On topic: This should probably surprise no one but it's a damn shame. Afflecks Batman in a serious detective style movie where he piledrives a grown man through 2 stories would have been amazeballs.
Hopefully whatever director they hire focuses on keeping Batman himself scary .. and injects the levity with Bruce and whatever bad guy they decide on.

Dabanton

Tbh this is probably the best choice

The Batman is probably going to be effects heavy. From very subtle stuff to big sequences Directing other actors and also taking on board decisions for that all that stuff, whilst also trying to be in your role as Batman? The pressure would be sickening.

It's why I'll always have respect for guys like Michael Bay and Synder they get it done know how to happily corral their sets and prep and film for effects heavy movies.

I can see a Batman Beyond movie happening only in two cases: 1) WB cancels the DCEU and chooses to make standalone films, but doesn't want to make another Bruce Wayne movie, so they go with Batman Beyond which maintains the Batman vibe while being a new concept, 2) the DCEU continues, but Affleck is too old to be Batman anymore after 8-10 years, so Terry comes in DCEU as the new Batman but isn't that "Beyond". Some will say that the second option is not the true Batman Beyond and they are right, but I don't think the general audience will care.

If WB decided to go with Batman Beyond, I would pray they would be smart enough to use Michael Keeton as Bruce Wayne.

Farmboy

A new Batman would actually be the best way to reboot, if JL really underperforms. But they'd have to ditch Affleck to sever all ties to the current DCEU.

If WB decided to go with Batman Beyond, I would pray they would be smart enough to use Michael Keeton as Bruce Wayne.

I don't like the pre-Nolan Batman movies, so my dream Batman Beyond movie would be a new trilogy sequel of Rises (with Nolan as the director of course) with the Jokerz and Curare as the first movie villains (nods to Ledger and Ra's), Spellbinder for the second movie which I would like to be full on psychology and Blight for the third movie as Terry's arch-nemesis and full circle with his past. Also, I don't want the
Terry is Bruce's biological son
shit.

edit:
A new Batman would actually be the best way to reboot, if JL really underperforms. But they'd have to ditch Affleck to sever all ties to the current DCEU.
I assume they could do that. However, they could adapt the Justice League: Origins story arc by Johns, with George Miller or Tim Miller on the helm and start a new universe.

Dabanton

Did Ben and Kevin Smith have a falling out?

Apparently Garner didn't like Smiths sense of humor and apparently Matt Damon as well.

Its what happens with your buddies get together with someone new and that person is a bit controlling...You find yourself non purposely excising all the old friends from your life.

Till you realize that oh shit I haven't spoken to so and so for 5 years. But by then it's awkward.

I don't like the pre-Nolan Batman movies, so my dream Batman Beyond movie would be a new trilogy sequel of Rises (with Nolan as the director of course) with the Jokerz and Curare as the first movie villains (nods to Ledger and Ra's), Spellbinder for the second movie which I would like to be full on psychology and Blight for the third movie as Terry's arch-nemesis and full circle with his past. Also, I don't want the
Terry is Bruce's biological son
shit.

I would like to see Terry (not as Waynes son), with a villan being an older Damian Wayne raised with League of Assassins. Bring it full circle. I don't think that was in comics. But it would bring the movie world, videogame world, and comics all together.

But I agree a trilogy would be good. Give the
Original batman a decade to cool off.

okdakor

Time to get Darren Aronofsky back on the old horse. ;)

They'd have the ability to reboot. His adaptation of Batman Year One was different enough to restart completely the DC movie universe. But they couldn't agree on a script because of this kind of differences from the comic :

• After Bruce Wayne's parents are shot, Bruce loses his fortune and becomes homeless.
  • Alfred's character changed to a African-American man named "Little"Al who runs a Auto-Repair shop and acts as Bruce's mentor.
  • Bruce doesn't travel the world, he instead reads books on various types of combat and practices them.
  • Unlike the comic it would have focused more on Bruce.
  • Bruce uses mostly chemical based weapons when fighting (like the original Bill Finger Batman).
  • Bruce Wayne gets his persona from an intertwined T and W on a ring he wore while fighting crime that was mistaken for a bat.
  • Many key scenes from the comic are omitted from the script.
  • The Batmobile and Batcave are present.
  • Gordon has lived in Gotham for years, and is trying to leave for the sake of his pregnant wife.
  • Gordon's wife is renamed Ann.
  • Carmine Falcone is omitted from the script and Gillain B.Loeb would have replaced him as the Master of the Organized crime.
  • Selina Kyle would have been African-American and would have had a more prominent role.
  • Gordon's character would have been suicidal.
  • The Batmobile would have been a Lincoln Continental.
  • There would have been many new characters that were not in the comic.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
They'd have the ability to reboot. His adaptation of Batman Year One was different enough to restart completely the DC movie universe. But they couldn't agree on a script because of this kind of differences from the comic :

• After Bruce Wayne's parents are shot, Bruce loses his fortune and becomes homeless.
  • Alfred's character changed to a African-American man named "Little"Al who runs a Auto-Repair shop and acts as Bruce's mentor.
  • Bruce doesn't travel the world, he instead reads books on various types of combat and practices them.
  • Unlike the comic it would have focused more on Bruce.
  • Bruce uses mostly chemical based weapons when fighting (like the original Bill Finger Batman).
  • Bruce Wayne gets his persona from an intertwined T and W on a ring he wore while fighting crime that was mistaken for a bat.
  • Many key scenes from the comic are omitted from the script.
  • The Batmobile and Batcave are present.
  • Gordon has lived in Gotham for years, and is trying to leave for the sake of his pregnant wife.
  • Gordon's wife is renamed Ann.
  • Carmine Falcone is omitted from the script and Gillain B.Loeb would have replaced him as the Master of the Organized crime.
  • Selina Kyle would have been African-American and would have had a more prominent role.
  • Gordon's character would have been suicidal.
  • The Batmobile would have been a Lincoln Continental.
  • There would have been many new characters that were not in the comic.

You are missing out the shit parts where the Batcave is a garage, where Bruce is working for Alfred and other hilarious stuff.

http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_Year_One_(Darren_Aronofsky)
Little Al. What a joke, I guess they have a small toy t-rex in their auto repair shop cave.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Anyone put the laughing Chris Evans yet?

The DCEU is just failing so miserably. Is there any way WB can save this? Disney to buy DC lol.

Ross61

Anyone put the laughing Chris Evans yet?

The DCEU is just failing so miserably. Is there any way WB can save this? Disney to buy DC lol.

Do you honestly think that this would be allowed at any capacity?

Like, do you really think WB would sell an asset like DC? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom