• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vehicle plows into counter protesters in Charlottesville

That picture is not helpful. No one sensible is calling for compromise between the KKK and black people (maybe Trump?), and "we want civil rights" is not an example of extreme left wing views. It represents anyone who is not far right—including moderates.

Anyone asking folks to compromise with Nazis is themselves far right. They are not moderate.

They are happily doing the "All these groups are the same" song and dance across Fox News. Whatever moderates are left are happily clinging to this message.

opoth

Banned
Don't dox them or punch them either, or they might turn into the dreaded Triple Nazi™.

Oh no! I guess we'd better just let them express themselves without consequences! Appeasing Nazis always used to work out just fine...what could go wrong?

I feel like there's a high chance of turning someone violent when you get them fired from their jobs. Now not only are they angry, but they're poor and unable to get a job because of ANTIFA (or whomever). That gives them a clear target to attack and nothing else to do but stir in their angry and hate.

Not saying this is the case, but I'm not convinced this is a good thing to do.

Yeah there is a high chance of these people turning violent if they are fired from their jobs

DHET0EsXkAIcwcZ.jpg

pigeon

Banned
Virginia is a at will state

The tweet is not very clear, but the Top Dog guy who got fired worked at a chain restaurant in Berkeley, CA. I have actually been to that chain restaurant, now that I think about it.

I doubt he will do that well suing in Berkeley for getting fired for being a Nazi.

But also, California is actually one of the most protective states in the union for political activity. The rest of the country will be even less charitable to such a suit.

Next week, by the same organizers:
That symbol in the bottom right...

When I was in middle school, a kid who made comics and shared with people at the lunch used to draw a circle with three triangles pointing in, similar to the wheel there, as his logo. He always said it represented three clansmen looking down a well at a dead n*. I don't know if he got that from something else but that's the first thing I thought of seeing that symbol here.

zethren

Banned
Every time I hear one of these idiots talk about "European heritage preservation" is the most ridiculous bullshit excuse I've ever heard. On one hand they want to "preserve their European heritage". On the other hand they claim to be proud Americans. Our country fought a war to separate ourselves from our European heritage and become new and independent. We aren't Europeans, we are Americans.

When you follow that logical progression long enough you realize they're just saying "European heritage" as a front for "white power".

krazen

That picture is not helpful. No one sensible is calling for compromise between the KKK and black people (maybe Trump?), and "we want civil rights" is not an example of extreme left wing views. It represents anyone who is not far right—including moderates.

Anyone asking folks to compromise with Nazis is themselves far right. They are not moderate.

That's the issue.
People want to debate nuances and put up the extreme left and this boogyman danger monster of anararchists vegans blowing up kids eating at Mcdonald's.

BLM is concidered far left and that's the definition of a civil right's org.

Antifa's, everyone's favorite boogymen, are considered for left and the worse they've done in US is basically bully neo-nazi punk shows and smash starbucks windows. Its not the 1970's weathermen out there.

Its just bizarre; if there was a group thar was vehemently pro another heineous crime; rape, infaticide these discussions would be a hard stop on debate, "turning them into an ally", etc. But because its marginalized minority groups and it doesnt affect most of the population...it's "Gotta hear both sides"

The Wart

Please, get out of here with that false equivalence. You have a president that is directly emboldening these fascists by hiring them and allowing them to commit terror attacks without calling them out by name. Do you think that the sort of normalization of racism that we're seeing grow in this very day is totally fine? It's alarming that people think that the shit that's transpiring is fine.

Where did I say that anything was "fine"? What am I drawing equivalence between? Is anyone in this thread actually reading anything anyone actually writes? At no point did I make any sort of "both sides" argument. My argument is that a policy of widespread vigilante violence would be a moral, political, and humanitarian disaster.

Zen Aku

A friend of mine on Facebook told me two of his friends were stabbed trying to counter protest. One is in the ICU. They don't think he'll make it.

pigeon

Banned
Where did I say that anything was "fine"? What am I drawing equivalence between? Is anyone in this thread actually reading anything anyone actually writes? At no point did I make any sort of "both sides" argument. My argument is that a policy of widespread vigilante violence would be a moral, political, and humanitarian disaster.

It sure would.

For example, when exactly that policy existed in America for 100 years, and was used exclusively to terrorize people of color, that's exactly what it was.

That is more or less explicitly what the Nazis today are advocating for. At best.

joe2187

Banned
Moderates are just the welcome mats for the Nazis and Alt right instead of a shield to defend, they just let them trample right over everybody.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

The problem is that we have a lot of self proclaimed moderates constantly policing the feelings of the people who're directly targeted by minorities.

Everything we do plays into their narrative. You're not going to ever make a compelling argument for total inaction. Start over.
Also this, LITERALLY ANYTHING we do is met by "You guys are playing in their narrative." Fuck sake. :|

D i Z

Usually, USUALLY, when they label themselves as Nazis. Some folks here clearly see it differently..��

So, just being a little bit Nazi doesn't get them a pass? Bummer for those identifying with them or defending them I guess. What a weird position to be in as a sympathizer.

Jams775

Yeah there is a high chance of these people turning violent if they are fired from their jobs

I'm aware they're already violent. they just killed somebody with a car like ISIS and got their propaganda tools saying "both sides". What do we do?

We're in the worst timeline here. No answer seems like the right one while both seem viable.

Shiloa

So I searched "Antifa" on Facebook just now, because I'm quite uneducated as to what that means.

The first result I see from Facebook's "news"

antifafej7k.png

Red

It's the truth. The Nazi's and KKK are terrorist organizations. Anyone not embracing and supporting treating them the same way as any other terrorist organization is an enemy to my family and my existence.

Who you think was counter-protesting? There were Black people there saying "Nah, fuck you we ain't going anywhere." Not extreme left.
I mean, yeah, exactly, that's my point.

JambiBum

Tired of all the "let's not be violent with nazis" people. You know what stopped nazis in WWII? It wasn't peaceful marches or protests, it was bullets. Protesting and simply telling someone that they are wrong doesn't work when they are already a part of that culture. Before anyone asks, yes I am advocating for straight up killing each and every person who considers themselves a part of this new nazi movement. I thought about mincing words and trying to find a way to dance around saying it directly, but the time of mincing words needs to come to an end.

Tired of all the "let's not be violent with nazis" people. You know what stopped nazis in WWII? It wasn't peaceful marches or protests, it was bullets. Protesting and simply telling someone that they are wrong doesn't work when they are already a part of that culture. Before anyone asks, yes I am advocating for straight up killing each and every person who considers themselves a part of this new nazi movement. I thought about mincing words and trying to find a way to dance around saying it directly, but the time of mincing words needs to come to an end.

Are you willing to buy a gun and start shooting at the next rally?

I see a lot of people promoting this view, I doubt any of you will follow through.

shamanick

I sure hope (faintly) that this will inspire the less politically engage to stand up to white supremacist/ nazi rallies that will no doubt proliferate in the near future.

The Wart

The Nazis didn't start with concentration camps and the war in Europe. They started off with elections and demonisation of a religious group and a lot of meetings and marches. History lesson - These things don't happen over night.

Then maybe we should beat them at the ballot box and take away their political power? Do you really think widespread vigilantism is going to either help achieve that end or somehow substitute for it?

ZOONAMI

I think there is also a general misunderstanding of the general populace as to what the alt right is all about. My brother legitimately was defending them last night but he was clearly woefully ignorant of what has been going on and said as much, but then it was like why are you playing a devil's advocate card here with saying he is positive and all people are people and you can't just discount people outright, etc. I was losing my shit. He seems to have come around today, but he legit did send me fucking quotes from an article last night about "European heritage." I was like dude the article calls out the alt right for the racist anti semites they are, and basically laid out that that shit was just a fucking bs excuse. It's like dude read the shit you are sending me to for some reason defend nazis. What the fuck do you think protection "European heritage" is? Racism through and through.

Crossing Eden

So I searched "Antifa" on Facebook just now, because I'm quite uneducated as to what that means.

antifafej7k.png
Report it as fake news.

I think there is also a general misunderstanding of the general populace as to what the alt right is all about.
Because somehow America has let the neonazis rename themselves to "alt-right."

Then maybe we should beat them at the ballot box and take away their political power? Do you really think widespread vigilantism is going to either help achieve that end or somehow substitute for it?

You do realize they were given an inch and took a mile. Street battles between Nazis and communists were common place and the Nazis won due to more moderate parties aligning against the communists.

My pap pap is 83 years old.

I'm thankful these Nazis are nowhere near him because he'd see one swastika and lose his damn mind and kill the lot of them.

We have WWII vets that are still fucking here and there are Nazis marching in the streets.

2015-02-22-17_50_14.gif

HATE.

ISOM

A friend of mine on Facebook told me two of his friends were stabbed trying to counter protest. One is in the ICU. They don't think he'll make it.

Don't be violent though. Because violence is never the answer even when you're getting fucking stabbed or run over by these Nazi's.

Crossing Eden

Don't hate, instead negotiate.<----This is genuinely the most perfect metaphor for how much moderates impede progress and straight up help the oppressors by being holier than thou and above it all.

avaya

Is it illegal to out these people based on photographs taken in public?

Is it then illegal to pressure their employers to fire these people for being part of a hate group?

I would fund such a course of action as a standard response. These people should not have any hiding place.

antifafej7k.png

Fucking fake news. People peddling this shot to change the narrative. I had no doubt in my mind there were going to be #truthers for this event.
Something needs to happen soon to silence these assholes.

Top Bottom