• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Velocity Ultra" for PSVita - Greatest PSMini will be improved & native res on PSVita

Akito

I like the pixel art style of the original more :(
But nonetheless, Day 1 for me, the game is fucking fantastic, hopefully it will get the attention it deserves this time around.

wouwie

Replaying some levels made me really hyped for the ultra version. Such a lovely game with a divine soundtrack. May can't come soon enough.

I actually had 2 minor suggestions from playing the mini version:
- when you finish a zone, you get the opportunity to replay the zone or continue the zone. I sort of miss an option to go back to the main menu. The only way to get back to the main menu is by starting the zone and pressing "select". Sometimes, i play zones in random order. This means i always have to start playing the next zone/replay the current zone to get back to the main menu
- i miss a clear indication of what you need to do to get a perfect score. In fact, i still have no clue how to get a perfect score. I found the score page a tad unclear.

I don't care about trophies at all but i might make an exception for this one.

Carl

Replaying some levels made me really hyped for the ultra version. Such a lovely game with a divine soundtrack. May can't come soon enough.

I actually had 2 minor suggestions from playing the mini version:
- when you finish a zone, you get the opportunity to replay the zone or continue the zone. I sort of miss an option to go back to the main menu. The only way to get back to the main menu is by starting the zone and pressing "select". Sometimes, i play zones in random order. This means i always have to start playing the next zone/replay the current zone to get back to the main menu
- i miss a clear indication of what you need to do to get a perfect score. In fact, i still have no clue how to get a perfect score. I found the score page a tad unclear.

I don't care about trophies at all but i might make an exception for this one.

Oh yes. Definitely. The soundtrack is amazing. Can't wait for that remix.

DBT85

Just said on Twitter that provided no legal bits get in the way, Coconut Dodge Vita will be called Coconut Dodge Revitalised.

recurv

Neo Member
Gold medal + no damage (so time + points + all capsules + no damage), i think.

Hello!

You need to satisfy all XP criteria (speed, survivors, score target) without losing a life.

You can take damage though...

We can have a look at making this clearer in Ultra :)

Thanks,

James

Maedhros

Nice interview. Didn't like the answer to the pixel art style anyway. I'll probably forget it anyway... it's just a nitpick.

Good pixel art will never die, it's ageless for me.

wouwie

Nice interview. Didn't like the answer to the pixel art style anyway. I'll probably forget it anyway... it's just a nitpick.

I agree. Pixel art will always remain relevant imo. It was relevant when i played my Amiga in 1986 and it still is. Same goes for "chip" music (of which Velocity has a lot).

Not that i think this game needs pixel art but that's another matter.

Carl

I don't especially mind pixel art, as such. But i think it's a much better idea for Velocity to have its own distinctive style.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think that the new style is almost faithful to the original even if it's not pixel art(they only double the resolution, you can't do too many improvements), the only thing that i don't really like are the stylized nebulas, they really look bad and out of context.
8360969911_afdcdc3021_b.jpg

Arukado

Hello!

You need to satisfy all XP criteria (speed, survivors, score target) without losing a life.

You can take damage though...

We can have a look at making this clearer in Ultra :)

Thanks,

James
Oh, thanks for the advice (i've been doing all the stages without taking any damage haha).

recurv

Neo Member

I agree with you, but there are market forces at work up in here :p

The main criticism we received for Velocity was the use of pixel art (and no trophies).

Some people loved the pixel art, but it was holding us back from selling the game to more people - and unfortunately, we need to sell the game! Unless people who love pixel art are willing to buy the game for £1,000 to offset the lack of sales using pixel art :D

I expect pixel art will come back into vogue at some point, and it'll sell again, but right now a lot of people are sick of seeing it on every indie game.

We need to distance Velocity from that.

DBT85

What would you like to pay for it?

Hmm. The Mini is £3.99.

I'd go to £10 on a PSV proper. There is plenty of content in there and games like Strangers Wrath and Knytt Underground are also £10. Also anyone who pre orders gets 25% off either Velocity 2: The fraking frelling sequel or off of Coconut Dodge Revitalised would be nice!

Out of interest, which is better for you as a developer, being included in PS+ as a free game for a month, or just releasing your game? I mean, I assume Sony ponies up some cash for giving your game away, and since lots of people have PS+ more people would probably download it than would otherwise pay the full price for it.

Also, on the online web store the description for velocity mentions Killzone right at the bottom. Might want to talk to the Store monkeys to get that one fixed.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...city/cid=EP4143-NPEZ00383_00-FUTURLABVELOCITY

Killzone is a trademark or registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. All rights reserved.

Number45

Number45

Trophies that aren't platinum are meaningless to me in terms of value. The only thing that persuades me to go for trophies if there's no carrot dangling platinum is if the process itself is fun.

I'll take more fun trophies over less grindy ones.

jubber

Neo Member
"the game is fucking fantastic" - Akito, January 2013

Wish we could stick *that* review up on the Futurlab website!

Robin Jubber
Vita coder

wouwie

I've been following Futurlab's twitter. Seems the game development is coming along nicely.

Now, Futurlab, how about a new screenshot (since the new graphics are in) or video :) ?

Number45

They've listened to people and given the game a platinum... let's see what the response is when they make it almost unobtainable. :p

Carl

They've listened to people and given the game a platinum... let's see what the response is when they make it almost unobtainable. :p

It's a toughie for sure. But making it easy would be completely against the nature of Velocity, i guess :p

Moosichu

I started the mini and am anxiously waiting for this game to come out now so I can get to and continue where I left off. Platinum sounds great!

Top Bottom