• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ventura Beat: Nintendo Switch graphics are based on Nvidia's Maxwell Architecture

Wait, that's insane that's not even saying just 1 teraflop that's saying ABOVE 1 teraflop.

The system should be beating the Xbox One across the board with that at least while docked.

Yeah this essentially shows that the author truly has no idea what he's talking about, and any conclusions he's drawing should be ignored. If his only inside info is that the final units use Maxwell architecture that means essentially nothing at all, because they would still see all the benefits of Pascal architecture if using a 16nm process.

Considering in the original article all he said was Maxwell with no mention of the process, I'm going to assume that's all he was told.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I'd like to point all you guys out to that one thread were I called it that the Switch would be no more powerful than a Wii U and was literally assaulted by nay-sayers.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=222824819&highlight=#post222824819

Where are you now, OrbitalBeard, Mariolee, Doctre81, KingSnake, Seik, etc..??

How about some of that crow?

How appropriate it is that you're asking for crow.

Edit: Grats on becoming the most quoted post in the thread.

Mikey Jr.

Did someone do the DBZ power levels yet or no?

Because I have no idea what the fuck.

edit:

Ok, fat gotenks. Got it.

For those who choose to believe the article writer has legit sources but believe Thraktor understands technology better (which he/she does lol), at this point the asserted seems to be the bolded:

I see a few different scenarios here:

1. The Switch SoC uses Maxwell at 20nm, and simply has a much larger GPU than anticipated to account for the performance.
  2. Nintendo looked at the feature-set planned for Pascal when design started, realised that the new features were largely irrelevant, and decided that they would save time and just use a straight-forward die shrink of Maxwell to 16nm instead. That would technically be a Maxwell GPU, but would be almost completely indistinguishable from Pascal in terms of performance.
  3. The sources are wrong about Maxwell, the 1 Tflop performance, or both.
Basically, if you're to take the article as being accurate, then the only worthwhile takeaway is this quote:

A Maxwell Tflop is identical to a Pascal Tflop, and it's largely irrelevant to us whether they achieved that by using a larger Maxwell GPU on 20nm/28nm at a lower clock or a smaller Pascal GPU on 16nm at a higher clock.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

They did but you should just read this post for actual clarification. Also FYI the author has been editing the article with corrections based on information from this thread

I have a few immediate thoughts after reading through the article:

• Firstly, it's worth noting the difference between Maxwell and Pascal is almost entirely down to the manufacturing process. Maxwell was made on 28nm (and in the case of the TX1, 20nm) whereas Pascal is made on 16nm. The actual architectural difference between the two is minimal, and aside from improved color buffer compression, largely irrelevant for a device like the Switch.
  • Despite that, the article never makes any mention of the manufacturing process. I find that extremely strange, as it's obviously the defining difference between the two sets of GPUs.
  • In fact, the article gets the difference between the two completely the wrong way around, saying "Nintendo’s box is relatively small, and so it has to fit into the heat profile of a portable device, rather than a set-top box. That’s another reason that explains the older Maxwell technology, as opposed to the Pascal’s state-of-the-art tech." Pascal is literally a more power efficient version of Maxwell, so the incentive would be the other way around.
  • The author says "we expect the Nintendo Switch to be more than 1 teraflop in performance", which is notably higher than even those of us who were expecting Pascal were considering (I literally posted earlier today with a 500-750 Gflop estimate). If this is a Maxwell chip, then that would mean at least 4 SMs (512 "CUDA cores") at 1GHz, as they're not going to be able to push much past that on 28/20nm. This is a much larger GPU than most people would have been expecting.
I see a few different scenarios here:

1. The Switch SoC uses Maxwell at 20nm, and simply has a much larger GPU than anticipated to account for the performance.
  2. Nintendo looked at the feature-set planned for Pascal when design started, realised that the new features were largely irrelevant, and decided that they would save time and just use a straight-forward die shrink of Maxwell to 16nm instead. That would technically be a Maxwell GPU, but would be almost completely indistinguishable from Pascal in terms of performance.
  3. The sources are wrong about Maxwell, the 1 Tflop performance, or both.
Basically, if you're to take the article as being accurate, then the only worthwhile takeaway is this quote:

A Maxwell Tflop is identical to a Pascal Tflop, and it's largely irrelevant to us whether they achieved that by using a larger Maxwell GPU on 20nm/28nm at a lower clock or a smaller Pascal GPU on 16nm at a higher clock.

Buggy Loop

I'd like to point all you guys out to that one thread were I called it that the Switch would be no more powerful than a Wii U and was literally assaulted by nay-sayers.

giphy.gif

Mariolee

Lol right here. We already know Switch is more powerful than the Wii U based on BotW's performance alone.

You can have that crow.

platina

Another piece of shit with ancient hardware confirmed. Thank god i never believed that pr bullshit list they released after the video. Another wii u 2.0 when it comes to 3rd parties.

antibolo

Banned
Wait people were expecting the Switch to be close to PS4/Xbone performance?

It's still a portable device, people...

It's also going to be notably cheaper, that's for sure.

ggx2ac

...Are you being ironic or something? Pretty sure that even the worst case scenario posits the Switch's innards as notoriously more powerful than the Wii U's.

Yes, even I speculated 2x Wii U as the minimum the Switch should be able to run as a portable which would be 352 GFLOPS because it should be fine for the power consumption of a Tegra SoC.

rekameohs

Banned
For those who choose to believe the article writer has legit sources but believe Thraktor understands technology better (which he/she does lol), at this point the asserted seems to be the bolded:
What's funny about that first scenario is that it would actually be quite a bit more powerful than any of us expected. Which would be pretty comical in light of this thread's reaction.

Is this a joke or sarcasm? Did you even read the article? It states that Switch is even more powerful than most people here expected. Nonetheless the article is a mess.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
What's funny about that first scenario is that it would actually be quite a bit more powerful than any of us expected. Which would be pretty comical in light of this thread's reaction.

While that would be a surprising revelation, it would make me weep for the Switch's battery life, which I'd assume would be pretty low given that kind of power.

Oddduck

Read the article...

We’re not so sure if the Switch is weaker than the Xbox One, as the performance may be close.

sfried

Another piece of shit with ancient hardware confirmed. Thank god i never believed that pr bullshit list they released after the video. Another wii u 2.0 when it comes to 3rd parties.
Let me just point out before I make any accusations of trolling, that the Switch, even at its most pessimistically speculated specs based on what had been revealed so far, would still far and exceedingly surpass Wii U.

edit:

Ok, fat gotenks. Got it.

No, we thought it was SSJ God Goku, now it's still SSJ Goku but he has less stamina.

But the article has been edited multiple times apparently, so it's all bs.

What's the point of posting on a forum if you're not gonna read anything?

If you can name me a faster handheld on the market I'll give you a dollar.

Mikey Jr.

Is 4gb ram for the switch a killer though?

Like, nevermind tflops. What about that ram? It probably won't even be 4, but 3 when it takes the os and everything into account like the PS4 and XB1 do.

I'm going to guess you need the difference between your own asshole and a hole in the ground pointed out to you on a fairly regular basis.

sfried

Is 4gb ram for the switch a killer though?

Like, nevermind tflops. What about that ram? It probably won't even be 4, but 3 when it takes the os and everything into account like the PS4 and XB1 do.

Depends on what RAM too...

Actually, we don't even know what kind of RAM this 4GB is.

JordanN

Banned
If this is true then what the FUCK is Nintendo doing.

Why would you use a older architechure when Pascal is right there. Only thing I can think is cost but the loss in power and espically efficency is going to be huge.

Newsflash: This is how Nintendo always works.

3DS has a GPU from 2005, and the Wii was even older. You're buying the wrong products from them if you ever expected something cutting edge. They even say it themselves. They only use old technology. Not new.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Newsflash: This is how Nintendo always works.

3DS has a GPU from 2005, and the Wii was even older. You're buying the wrong products from them if you ever expected something cutting edge. They even say it themselves.
Maxwell isn't exactly old though. I mean, if they started to design the hardware around two years ago, a Maxwell architecture kinda makes sense.

I read the article again and... this is pure garbage guys... BTW, Did know that the Switch have so many haters already, looks like some people really wants to see the Swicht fail.

Pros of Maxwell may be it being at most $200, which is nothing to sneer at. I want console quality Nintendo titles for as cheap as as possible. I feel like it would be an anchor in ways besides sheer performance, though. Ways that would prevent it becoming a god tier handheld. This go around for Nintendo, cheaper is better. The question needs to be "Why not get one?" instead of "Why get one?" That said, more performance gives it a better shot for ports.

RootCause

That was around the original guesses but the reality was that the Wii U was much lower
I see. I liked what they pulled off with the wiiu. Even with the weak hardware. So I'm fine.

I haven't read the article, but is the rumored soc the K1? or X1?

I really hope Nintendo brings wii vc games to the switch.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I read the article again and... this is pure garbage guys... BTW, Did know that the Switch have so many haters already, looks like some people really wants to see the Swicht fail.
Just like some people wanted the PS4 to fail. Same with the Xbox One.

Buggy Loop

The article is completely illiterate about tech, this tidbit :

The set-top box could tolerate a higher heat profile, and the Nvidia Shield tablet that debuted in 2014 had a Tegra K1 processor with four CPUs and 192 Kepler graphics cores. Nintendo’s box is relatively small, and so it has to fit into the heat profile of a portable device, rather than a set-top box. That’s another reason that explains the older Maxwell technology, as opposed to the Pascal’s state-of-the-art tech.

so it has to fit into the heat profile of a portable device
That’s another reason that explains the older Maxwell technology, as opposed to the Pascal’s state-of-the-art tech.

It's not how it works, really not.

Process wise, EVEN if we assume its Maxwell, why would Nvidia lose money on the quantity of dies produced per waffer of their now tightly run TSMC 16nmFF process vs Tegra X1 20nm ? And if you go through the trouble of redesigning Maxwell for 16nmFF, why would you not just offer pascal? TSMC invested 16 billions $ last year for skipping 20nm, they are not producing a mass production console chip on a process, greater than 16nm, made obsolete in their foundries. I'm sorry but that's not good business on Nvidia's part and these guys usually dont make these kind of mistakes (Nintendo, alone, could).

trixx

Damn i was expecting close to xbox one in dock mode smh. I already have a wii u and not interested in handhelds so if the price ain't right i'm out.

antonz

The article is completely illiterate about tech, this tidbit :

It's not how it works, really not.

Process wise, EVEN if we assume its Maxwell, why would Nvidia lose money on the quantity of dies produced per waffer of their now tightly run TSMC 16nmFF process vs Tegra X1 20nm ? And if you go through the trouble of redesigning Maxwell for 16nmFF, why would you not just offer pascal? TSMC invested 16 billions $ last year for skipping 20nm, they are not producing a mass production console chip on a process, greater than 16nm, made obsolete in their foundries. I'm sorry but that's not good business on Nvidia's part and these guys usually dont make these kind of mistakes (Nintendo, alone, could).
The Switch is basically the exact same size as the Shield TV as well maybe even a little larger. There is a whole lot of speculation on nothing in the article

Top Bottom