• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247: PSN Premium E3 REVEAL (RUMOUR)

Xater said:
To me it sounds like: " you can pick one out of four crummy games nobody wants"
If they can rid off the "i buy it and share it with 4 others" that's even better for them, isn't it?

I don't think they are going to "gift" games to 5 people at ones with this.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
_dementia said:
glad it's not affecting the free service if true

That's true. Sony have officially reiterated multiple times that the Premium service adds features on top of the free ones. Doesn't turn today free stuff into pay-to.

Cornbread78

I'e actually turned a little bit and I approve of the updates. I think they should have three levels of service based off the chart though, with the most expensive service has everything. The Free PSN games alone definately make it worth it and they are not Forcing you to pay for the service to play games online either, which is good to hear.

Will definately have to keep an eye on things.

Dabanton said:
So if this was true, what would happen to Vidzone?

As that sounds exactly the same.

Its not the same. Vidzone can't stream music in the background while playing games. You also can't do anything else while its running.

What this service would provide would be a massive choice of music to listen to in games. It'll probably have playlists too.

Dabanton

Suzzopher said:
America doesn't have Vidzone.

Ah ok.

Well i hope if this is true that they don't take the UK one behind the premium wall.

Galvanise_ said:
Its not the same. Vidzone can't stream music in the background while playing games. You also can't do anything else while its running.

What this service would provide would be a massive choice of music to listen to in games. It'll probably have playlists too.

There were two music services proposed one with videos and the other was a lastFM type affair i was talking about the video one.

Online Music Service

Get a streaming music service that allows you to choose your channel based on music style, artist type, etc. and listen to an unlimited number of tracks. This service would be for use outside of playing a game and similar to Pandora or a Last.fm.

Online Music Video Service

Get a streaming music video service on your PlayStation 3 that lets you stream music videos from a continuously growing catalog of music and allows you to create a custom playlist to play back.

So basically it's a flatrate for PSN games with apparently no disadvantage for real non-premium users in terms of PSN/firmware functionality, I would definitely bite.
I guess you will get other goodies or maybe even cloud saving.

They won't make existing features or content premium-only so actually they can add whatever they want. As long as (p2p...) online-gaming and all communication features are free for everyone, it's fine.

Dabanton said:
There were two music services proposed one with videos and the other was a lastFM type affair i was talking about the video one.

Well that could be the expansion of Vidzone to the US. There have been some vague hints from Ben Creasey about it. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Dabanton

Galvanise_ said:
Well that could be the expansion of Vidzone to the US. There have been some vague hints from Ben Creasey about it. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

It's a great service only really started using it in the last few weeks. Very impressed by the amount of videos they have some real classic stuff.

Dabanton said:
It's a great service only really started using it in the last few weeks. Very impressed by the amount of videos they have some real classic stuff.

Yeah, but definitely not enough Metal. I've been harping on about that directly to Ben since the service launched and there is still bugger all. :(

tzare

if adds value it is ok for me, as long as current free PSN remains the same. I also see no sense in making cross-game chat premium, as your friends may not join the service so who would you chat with?

tzare said:
if adds value it is ok for me, as long as current free PSN remains the same. I also see no sense in making cross-game chat premium, as your friends may not join the service so who would you chat with?

Sony's equivalent of Milo, except he's audio only.

Apath

I hope this isn't true. Knowing how the industry works, they may not gimp free PSN but they probably will stop adding key features to in to favor of a exclusive premium service. Free game a month for less than $5/mo sounds like BS though. If it were XBL I guess I could see it because they have a metric fuck ton of shitty games, but PSN has a higher quality control =P

theBishop

Banned
Great news if true. Cross-Chat needs to be a free feature. Beyond that, I have no problem with a value-added subscription service on top.

Cloud saving is a cool feature, but I probably wouldn't use it.

Suzzopher

Rapping Granny said:
Just give me cross game chat and voice messaging, I don't care about anything else.

Cloud saving for me is the one I want. To be able to back up my saves to a server will be amazing. I love that about some games on Steam.

Massa

TTP said:
That's true. Sony have officially reiterated multiple times that the Premium service adds features on top of the free ones. Doesn't turn today free stuff into pay-to.

I'm still worried that they're turning tomorrow's free stuff into paid stuff. Voice chat being the prime example (yes, I read the OP. It's from VG247).

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
If the free game per month is legit, and it's priced on par with Xbox Live Gold, and the cloud saving works, I'd have to consider this.

Kenak said:
I hope this isn't true. Knowing how the industry works, they may not gimp free PSN but they probably will stop adding key features to in to favor of a exclusive premium service. Free game a month for less than $5/mo sounds like BS though. If it were XBL I guess I could see it because they have a metric fuck ton of shitty games, but PSN has a higher quality control =P

£50 is about $70 in todays money.

Spaulding

TTP said:

Sony also stated that they won't remove OtherOS after introducing the Slim...

Spaulding said:
Sony also stated that they won't remove OtherOS after introducing the Slim...

Manufacturers do say shit. And plans do change.

I have an issue of Edge with J allard saying they had done a ton of work to make sure 360 would be quieter than an original Xbox. That turned out well, huh?

At the minute Sony have been clear in saying a paid service would not change what is on offer for the free PSN... and frankly, what could they take away??? Access to home? The store? Demos?

I think we should just take it at face value until the reveal. Assuming it's even true... it basically reads like an educated guess.

Firewire

Banned
I think I figured out who VG247's secret source inside Sony is!

It's Kevin Buttler.

V.P. of playing the fools at VG247.

Kenak said:
Silly me, I was reading it as $50, didn't even notice it was pounds. =P

Less than $6/mo.*

doesn't Sony normally just change the pounds symbol with the $ for their pricing in most cases? Or am I thinking of another company?

MikeE21286 said:
doesn't Sony normally just change the pounds symbol with the $ for their pricing in most cases? Or am I thinking of another company?

I would certainly hope that wouldn't apply for the premium service. Hardware I can understand as there are varying taxes etc, but charging me more than an American gamer for something that essentially doesn't exist would suck balls.

Ideally, if Sony want to be competetive, they'd charge around £35 UK.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Suzzopher said:
So true. I'd rather they just had Move at their booth and drop some bombs at the conference.

As long as the conference isn't more than like... 10-15% Move crap, I'll be happy.

Kagari said:
As long as the conference isn't more than like... 10-15% Move crap, I'll be happy.

In addition to pimping the games we've already seen, they'll pimp 3rd party support, other Sony 'core' properties using it such as Killzone 3. We've also yet to have a full reveal for the Torch game and that Wizard RPG. We'll probably also see the XMB being manipulated with it.

Top Bottom