• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247: PSN Premium E3 REVEAL (RUMOUR)

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Suzzopher said:
Serious note, would people actually pay if Sony turned around and said they want everyone to be paying for PSN, which would mean people paying for online?

I never play online, so no.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ULTROS! said:
Also I do not play online as much. Only play it when I feel like it so I don't really want to pay for it since I'm more of a single player. I do enjoy purchasing Digital Downloads though.

I think ultimately Microsoft (and Sony if they go down the premium road, but Microsoft for now) realize that while basically every gamer who plays online is willing to pay for this stuff, there's a whole lot of other people who don't game online. That's why Microsoft has been trying out a few different routes; the Netflix integration (US-only, of course) and 1vs100 are two products that promote Gold but hit outside the normal audience. So I think in the future, pay-for-online is going to be pay-for-online-and-other-nifty-stuff.

Just some food for thought for anyone who wants PSN to be pay-to-play for better service, think about the other gamers who are non-NA/EU. :p

You're non-EU/NA?

PSN has a terrific, albeit somewhat small, selection of downloadable games. I'd surely buy into this service just for that kind of monthly access. It doesn't sound realistic however.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ShockingAlberto said:
Hrm, I was hoping Sony would influence Microsoft here, not the other way around.

This is not what's going on here. You'll still be able to play online for free. And download demos the day they are released.

Can premium users get access to a home that doesn't suck? No? Ok, boring. Who wants to choose from the bottom of the barrel of psn games each month?

Zoe

Massa said:
I really doubt Sony will give free games with a PSN subscription. The point is to take more money from people, not less.

How is it any different from free games bundled with Qore?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
A string of features will be revealed, apparently costing “less than £50 per year”.

“If you work it out, PSN games cost an average of £6-9 each, so over a year you’re basically going to be breaking even,” said our source.

Someone doesn't know their math...

12 months in a year.

At 6£ per game = 72£ (breaking even to 50? not really)
At 9£ per game = 108£ (...)
At 7.50£ (middle point) per game = 90£ (so yeah...)

No scenario means you're "basically breaking even".

I haven't read through all the posts so maybe this has been mentioned but it the OP's quote is really misleading.

Not that I would be interested in such a deal, but if you buy an average of 12 PSN games a year you would be getting a good deal if this was true. I don't know what else is included in this premium option.

Mihos

Gold Member
Damn.... I might actually get this. I really wish I had cloud saves on my PSP, I have lost my saves twice due to my own stupidity.

kevm3

Just as long as Sony doesn't block off the online portion of the games 'just cuz they can', then I'm fine with their premium service.

Thunderbear said:

12 months in a year.

I haven't read through all the posts so maybe this has been mentioned but it the OP's quote is really misleading.

Not that I would be interested in such a deal, but if you buy an average of 12 PSN games a year you would be getting a good deal if this was true. I don't know what else is included in this premium option.

Their "source" says you can choose 1 out of a 2-4 games selection per month.
I would assume those are not necessarily the games released in the same month but can be older games and most likely also include lower profile games which not many would buy anyway.
So it's not like Sony would loose out because they gift you £90 for a £50 subscription (btw. in the article it's LESS than 50) to spend on your favourite games.
This is more like making sure more users fulfill their quota because most likely not many PS3 users buy 12 PSN games a year plus you would have to buy additionally the ones you actually want because you don't know when/if they are offered for Premium. (though I wonder if this could backfire because everyone is waiting out for specific games to go "premium" ^^)

(still, it would be awesome, might save money if you buy many games anyway and there will be most likely more premium features anyway. I dunno, maybe like getting all Sony dynamic themes for free, cloud saving etc.)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Thunderbear said:

12 months in a year.

Indeed, you'd be profiting under those scenarios. Which would be good for us.

Any subscription for games e.g. '1 game per month' would have to build in a discount on average. Otherwise what's the point?

Sony will cede the discount in exchange for committed revenue, predictable money

edit - of course it depends on what else is in the offer. But if it was a pure content subscription, I'd expect it'd work out cheaper getting the games via subscription collectively than buying seperately...but I'm sure it won't be just the games, there'll be other things, making the value calculation a little muddier (and perhaps giving Sony more opportunity not to give discount on the cost of the games vs cost of subscription).

I hope the money Sony make from this is used to make PSN faster. My PSN is faster than my Live! but I'd love it to go even faster. I'd actually use the Video service then. I suspect a music store will be announced this year too. It was on the Roadmap that Reeves unveiled at Leipzig a few years back. I hope it comes to EU and the US at the same time.

Yeah, so If I become a premium member, I'd want faster downloads. I think thats fair enough. I actually download a lot of content from PSN, so I'd be interested to see what games will be 'free'. There are definitely a few older ones I'd love to get and if they are included in this deal. . even better.

This service is even sweeter for those with a PSP and a PS3 that use PSN regularly. If PSone games are in the 'free' games, a user with both consoles will get a heck of a lot of value out of this service.

Baki

gofreak said:
Indeed, you'd be profiting under those scenarios. Which would be good for us.

Any subscription for games e.g. '1 game per month' would have to build in a discount on average. Otherwise what's the point?

Sony will cede the discount in exchange for committed revenue, predictable money.

SCE should look into bundling QORE/First Play with this as well. But only if it gives the package the extra value it needs to make people jump in.

Sporty

Neo Member
I might bite something like this. Although the 'selection from 2-4 games' probably means SOE titles or crap that I probably wouldn't buy anyways. Might find something interesting in those.

But I really don't put much stock in VG247 posts.

Chris R

If the rumor turns out to be true, there is no reason to go "Premium". They would have to PAY me to download random PSN games some months, that is how bad some of the releases are.

MMO subs might be included too, maybe some 'premium' items from them will be free for the PSN premium users. Like special upgrades in DCU Online.

Cruzader

Banned
I hope they lump Qore into the premium model.(free for the members etc) It would be stupid to pay for it AND the other service too. Atleast you will get a free game with the Premium model then a retard theme from Qore.

Hell if the PSP2 is 3G, Sony could even offer a discount on those fees.

There is a fuck ton of stuff Sony can do with this service. With it seemingly being content driven too. . .that will make every consumer at least consider it.

"“There’s nothing in the premium package which will gimp regular PSN users.”"

So far...

If it's true...best of luck but not a fuckin chance of me taking part in this.

Oli

It sounds kind of stupid to me. If you're going to break even, why not just buy the games normally? Then you'd have a choice to skip some of the stinkers.

The only advantage seems to be the music thing, which is cool I guess. But they will probably need something else.

J-Rzez

Oli said:
It sounds kind of stupid to me. If you're going to break even, why not just buy the games normally? Then you'd have a choice to skip some of the stinkers.

The only advantage seems to be the music thing, which is cool I guess. But they will probably need something else.

Access to all early beta's before via retailers would be nice. Those "betas" from retailers are more like "demos" anyways.

Hydrargyrus

While the online gaming and the demos remain free, I don't care of what they do.

I'm not going to pay a shit for anything online or downloadable content

1z7390j.gif

what is this from man damn

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I won't sign up straight away but if the things they offer over the first few months are useful and represent good value for money then I'll probably sign up.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The worst part about a PSN Premium is that you probably won't be able to buy it on sale like you can with Microsoft Spacebucks. You'll have to pay the same flat rate every time.

Danthrax said:
The worst part about a PSN Premium is that you probably won't be able to buy it on sale like you can with Microsoft Spacebucks. You'll have to pay the same flat rate every time.
Yeah that's true but some retail stores have sales on PSN cards. Hopefully it's the same with the PSN premium cards.

x3sphere

Massa said:
I'm still worried that they're turning tomorrow's free stuff into paid stuff. Voice chat being the prime example (yes, I read the OP. It's from VG247).

Assuming these plans come to fruition, I can't see voice chat being part of the premium tier. It will be for non-essential perks - ie free games, early access to demos, etc. Basically Qore 2.0.

B1gg_Randall said:
I really hope the rumor is true...If the cross game chat isnt part of the premium service I will be sooooo happy....:D

Yeah I'd be pretty f'in' stupid if it is, because then it would be worthless, all of your friends would have to subscribe to talk to you.

B1gg_Randall said:
I really hope the rumor is true...If the cross game chat isnt part of the premium service I will be sooooo happy....:D

Could just mean that they have no serious plans of ever bringing cross game chat out....

snap0212

Baki said:
Sony will confirm plans to give all subscribers one free PSN game per month, from a choice of “two to four” every month.
Sony will only give out games they release a shit-ton of DLC for.

“If you work it out, PSN games cost an average of £6-9 each, so over a year you’re basically going to be breaking even,” said our source.
”We will give you Pain and such games, because there’s a chance that you might buy DLC for those games”. I would be very, very surprised if Sony would give out new games. On the other hand, I wouldn’t be surprised if they do the Qore again where they told you about all this cool stuff you’d get for free... now pretty much everyone is disappointed.

Baki said:
A streaming music application similar to Spotify will be announced in Sony’s press conference on June 15. It’s thought that this can run in the background while playing games.
There will be a shitton of licensing issues and this feature won’t be available everywhere. Still, everyone has to pay the same price for premium.

I really hope I'm wrong about everything I just wrote... :(

Definitely right about the first one, I'm sure they will only let you pick older titles too. Which might be ok for some people but back when they released 2 games a month I bought everything.

I just want a netflix app and cloud saves, they would get my money for those 2 things alone.

Top Bottom