• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video essays on video games.

mortal

Gold Member
This video by Game Score Fanfare on the topic of the Final Fantasy prelude really does a great job capturing the beauty of the reoccurring themes. At the very least, you get to listen to some beautiful samples of music for 10 minutes, if you're not familiar.

Feel free to share any generally interesting, educational, or inspiring video essays on video games.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Couple of Dark Souls related ones I love below. Both channels have excellent content aside from these if you like what you see.

Super Bunnyhop's Evolution of Dark Souls Level Design:

Matthewmatosis' Dark Souls 2 Critique:

10 minutes of commentary hardly constitutes an essay. If you want to go hardcore, try Joseph Anderson:

Or Mauler:

I often find myself subscribing to the creator of one great video game essay, only to find that their other output isn't quite as good. I noticed that most good essays are usually a work of passion, i.e. you won't find good video analysis on different games by one single person. For example, Spoony's review of the Ultima series is still unmatched for this particular game. The best essays are by those gamers who live and breathe a particular game.

sublimit

Banned
This guy's whole channel (he doesn't have many videos) if you are interested in the worlds of Fumito Ueda:

And from this guy both of these videos i found them very interesting:

Both are very small channels and both deserve more recognition IMO.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Oh wow, I completely forgot I made this thread. Thanks for the bump, and all the contributions! Lot of interesting topics and titles already posted.

Top Bottom