• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video shows woman shoot at burglars in home invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other two are almost certainly going to catch felony murder charges if they're identified. Going to get locked up for a long long time.

Correct. If a murder (or a death) takes place while you are committing a felony, you are likely to get a felony murder charge. Even if you didn't pull the trigger nor were you armed.

Trouble

Banned
Shooting out the door at fleeing robbers is a real good way of getting charged with manslaughter when you kill an innocent neighbor. :/

HyperionX

But you can't ignore instances like this either. It's not just a numbers game. If you took away this woman's gun you are basically telling her sorry you have to die. We won't let you have something to protect yourself. It makes a hell of a difference when that person is you and you won't give a damn about the numbers.

Actually, for the most part we can safely ignore self-defense cases because they are extremely rare. Even when they do happen, it is often the case that the person was in little or no danger and therefore unnecessary.

Sendero

Might I ask what certainty you are looking for to justify self-defense? What would be a likely scenario?

As I see it, the man was walking right at her with a gun pointed in her direction. How is she to know whether he is just being a "tough guy" or looking to harm her physically, either through harsh beatings, rape or murder? Even if he is someone only trying to act tough, I would think with all the gun topics on this forum, people are fully aware how easily a gun can be fired by accident when people are acting irresponsibly.

Waiting for that certainty you mention likely means it is already too late, as they have already caused harm in some manner for you to realize they aren't nice people. They certainly won't be discussing their actions beforehand so you can be better prepared
To be honest, I'm not planning to post more in this thread (as I'm just repeating myself), but appreciate the way you framed the question.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment much on this particular case, because the video starts with both her and the assailant already pointing to each other. I do not know what happened before that. She obviously noticed something ahead, otherwise she wouldn't (one would hope) have a gun at hand. So, that lapse of time missing is kind of important.

Of course, if all happened in a second (and it might have, since the space between her "room" and the entrance seems to be just a few meters), and she suddenly found herself in front of a person aiming at her, the reaction would not only be justified, it would be an instinctive one.

But again, I'm not questioning her actions. She did what she did, and that's the end of it.
I'm however, not ok with the idea that people (already armed), being called "brave" for shooting first. There is simply, nothing brave on that. And -depending on the circumstances-, a reckless call to make.

Actually, for the most part we can safely ignore self-defense cases because they are extremely rare. Even when they do happen, it is often the case that the person was in little or no danger and therefore unnecessary.

Way to totally miss the point and not even read the words of my post. That took effort. When I say it's not just about numbers, and you say it's rare, well we're not even talking about the same thing.

Shooting out the door at fleeing robbers is a real good way of getting charged with manslaughter when you kill an innocent neighbor. :/

I can't help but think the chances of this are insanely low unless you live in a neighborhood full of people that crowd around the home that has the sound of gunfire coming out of it.

HyperionX

Way to totally miss the point and not even read the words of my post. That took effort. When I say it's not just about numbers, and you say it's rare, well we're not even talking about the same thing.

Not just rare, extremely rare. And you're missing the point that it is way more likely you'll hurt yourself than actually have a need for a firearm, so it's a generally bad idea.

Randam

Unbelievable.
We're they threatening her?

Now someone is dead, because of a stupid burglary. And even more could have died. Including innocent people in the neighborhood.

Sickening how this woman gets celebrated here..

'merica fuck yeah..

Betty

Banned
Unbelievable.

Now someone is dead, because of a stupid burglary. And even more could have died. Including innocent people in the neighborhood.

'merica fuck yeah..

Sorry but I've seen home invasions where idiots storm in on peaceful people going about their business and then just casually kill them even after they've subdued the occupants and have them on their stomachs.

Zero sympathy for burglars, especially ones with guns, and especially ones who could easily have killed the rest of the people in the house.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Unbelievable.

'merica fuck yeah..
Three people with guns drawn kicked her door down and you're lamenting the loss of one of them. You don't need weapons (or three people) to burgle so yes they were threatening her.

Unbelievable.

Men with guns broke into the house. Yes. They were threatening her by barging in with guns. If that doesn't meet your definition of a threat nothing will.

Now someone is dead, because of a stupid burglary.

Yes, and he only has himself to blame. He's be alive if he stayed home and been a family man. Shame you have more compassion for them than the innocent woman being violently victimized. Damn shame.

And even more could have died. Including innocent people in the neighborhood.

Did they? No. Why be outraged over a hypothetical instead of outraged against the actual three morons rampaging innocent people like that.

'merica fuck yeah..

Fair enough. But then again it's sickening how you seem to prefer this woman get murdered on the alter of your self righteousness than she defend herself. Not everyone is a pacifist. I wouldn't want my wife to play the odds that she's not going to get raped or murdered when three armed motherfuckers barge in the place.

Glad she survived.

Oxn

Three people with guns drawn kicked her door down and you're lamenting the loss of one of them. You don't need weapons (or three people) to burgle so yes they were threatening her.

Men with guns broke into the house. Yes. They were threatening her by barging in with guns. If that doesn't meet your definition of a threat nothing will.

Yes, and he only has himself to blame. He's be alive if he stayed home and been a family man.

Did they? No. Why be outraged over a hypothetical instead of outraged against the actual three morons rampaging innocent people like that.

Fair enough. But then again it's sickening how you seem to prefer this woman get murdered on the alter of your self righteousness than she defend herself. Not everyone is a pacifist. I wouldn't want my wife to play the odds that she's not going to get raped or murdered when three armed motherfuckers barge in the place.

Glad she survived.

Man you guys get trolled so easily.

E92 M3

Unbelievable.

'merica fuck yeah..

LOL WUT? This woman protected her home and family from some assholes that INVADED her home. Hopefully the other two rot in prison.

I wish we were getting trolled.

Unbelievable.

'merica fuck yeah..

While I agree she was an idiot for shooting out of her door randomly, I cannot agree with the rest of your post. Why are you so quick to defend people that would break into someone's home while sweeping the home with their guns drawn and ready? That's pretty damn threatening...what should she have done? Wait for them to shot at her and hopefully miss? Then it's ok?

Violet_0

Banned
I'm not sure why she stormed out to engage the robbers instead of holing up in a secure space, but I can't really blame her for defending herself either

I've been in these threads enough to know those are legit sentiments that get expressed in these threads. So if it's a troll then so be it. But it's not like some people don't get outraged that a woman defends herself with a gun here.

I'm not sure why she stormed out to engage the robbers instead of holing up in a secure space, but I can't really blame her for defending herself either

Like I said, you have a split second to decide. She made the decision she thought best. Considering it was her life on the line and the clock was ticking I'm not gonna play armchair analyst when she chooses to fight.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A good reminder that home invasion robberies are rarely random. They target homes with cash, jewelry drugs or goods that are known or suspected to the robber.not universal of course and the robbers also make mistakes.

She was perfectly within her rights imo. But there are other considerations when thinking about home protection. And a gun is still statistically more dangerous than no gun.

Of course nobody wants to be an outlier or exception to the"rule"

Lubricus

This happened Tuesday morning in Norcross, GA which is also in Gwinnett county..

NORCROSS - Police have made two arrests and are searching for more home invaders who broke into a home and tied children to a bed.

The incident happened in the 1200 block of Williamsburg Lane in unincorporated Norcross early Tuesday morning.

The victims said men broke through their front door yelling that they were police.

“Just by their voice, they didn’t sound like the police,” 11-year-old Juan Pablo Cruz said.

The victims said as two of the adult men in the house were pistol whipped, at least two children in the home were tied up.

“He put a pillow behind my head and then they tied up us with this little rope,” Juan Pablo said.

Juan Pablo said he was told he would have been shot if he didn’t stay calm.

The child’s aunt said she slipped into a bathroom, hid in the tub and called for help....

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/gwinnett-county/police-home-invasion-suspect-officers-exchange-fire/447974365

hollomat

Banned
Unbelievable.

'merica fuck yeah..

When armed robbers break into your house in the middle of the night you're welcome to sit down and have a chat with them.

Love the casual insult thrown at all Americans though just because someone was defending themselves.

A good reminder that home invasion robberies are rarely random. They target homes with cash, jewelry drugs or goods that are known or suspected to the robber.not universal of course and the robbers also make mistakes.

She was perfectly within her rights imo. But there are other considerations when thinking about home protection. And a gun is still statistically more dangerous than no gun.

Of course nobody wants to be an outlier or exception to the"rule"

A gun should be among the last things one owns when it comes to home defense.

Other options should definitely be utilized.

-Escape plan that you actively discuss w/ the occupants in the home in the event of a fire or home invasion. Especially a pre-agreed upon location where you meet up at. My family has this. Never needed to be used but it's just best to know.

-Home alarm. At least something audible that indicates someone breaking in.

-Access to a phone in your sleeping area.

-I can't stress owning one of these enough.

-A dog. Big one preferably but anything that barks will do.

-Common sense. Lock your doors and windows at night.

Then after all those things you may want to consider owning a firearm. But it's a lot to consider.

Unbelievable.

'merica fuck yeah..
Kill or be killed was probably going through her head.
They had malicious intent, she didn't until her life was threatened.
I hate guns but this is really common sense.

Piggus

You seem to have absolutely zero regard for people who lawfully defend themselves. You act like you'd quickly trade their lives so long as it furthers your own agenda. Thankfully that won't be happening any time soon.

Also, you conveniently only cite statistics in which a person is shot and killed in self-defense. That indeed is rare, thankfully. But you're pretending like virtually nobody successfully uses guns in self-defense, period, which is simply not true. After Sandy Hook, the White House commissioned a study that found guns are used often and effectively to deter crime. A situation in which a gun is used in defense doesn't ALWAYS result in someone getting shot.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You seem to have absolutely zero regard for people who lawfully defend themselves. You act like you'd quickly trade their lives so long as it furthers your own agenda. Thankfully that won't be happening any time soon.

Also, you conveniently only cite statistics in which a person is shot and killed in self-defense. That indeed is rare, thankfully. But you're pretending like virtually nobody successfully uses guns in self-defense, period, which is simply not true. After Sandy Hook, the White House commissioned a study that found guns are used often and effectively to deter crime. A situation in which a gun is used in defense doesn't ALWAYS result in someone getting shot.

He's not saying that. He's saying that a gun for self defense is statistically counter productive. Un seatbelts people in car wrecks are occasionally saved from death by being thrown clear of the vehicle but that is a statistically poor safety strategy. So is a gun. Math not opinion.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Thank god the one dude just ran away instead of turning around and shooting her in the back

Piggus

He's not saying that. He's saying that a gun for self defense is statistically counter productive. Un seatbelts people in car wrecks are occasionally saved from death by being thrown clear of the vehicle but that is a statistically poor safety strategy. So is a gun. Math not opinion.

He (and a lot of others) still make that argument based only on self-defense incidents resulting in the death or injury of the aggressor. The reality is much more complicated.

HyperionX

Because many times more people die than are saved by guns. Owning a gun greatly increases the chances that you'll die. My "agenda" is saving as many lives as possible, which clearly implies reducing the number of firearms, and by pointing the near uselessness of owning them for self-defense.

There was no study that concluded that guns deter crime. It was simply a collection of various other gun studies (including several clearly wrong studies) that the CDC produced. Real government funded studies on gun violence is actually illegal.

What we do know is that nearly all pro-gun arguments related to self-defense are wrong: source.

well she didn't kill a neighbor so why even bring it up

it's like when it comes to guns people will find any way to pull anything they can to not support and just a bunch of what ifs

just like the people whining about what ifs from protests blocking traffic

Because many times more people die than are saved by guns. Owning a gun greatly increases the chances that you'll die. My "agenda" is saving as many lives as possible, which clearly implies reducing the number of firearms, and by pointing the near uselessness of owning them for self-defense.

There was no study that concluded that guns deter crime. It was simply a collection of various other gun studies (including several clearly wrong studies) that the CDC produced. Real government funded studies on gun violence is actually illegal.

What we do know is that nearly all pro-gun arguments related to self-defense are wrong: source.

well see, that near uselessness became slightly useful because she saved herself.

Randam

While I agree she was an idiot for shooting out of her door randomly, I cannot agree with the rest of your post. Why are you so quick to defend people that would break into someone's home while sweeping the home with their guns drawn and ready? That's pretty damn threatening...what should she have done? Wait for them to shot at her and hopefully miss? Then it's ok?
They were there to rob her, not kill anyone. The guns were for intimidation.

If only that woman had these statistics when three armed burglars barged into the home. It would have created a magical barrier that prevented them from entering!

They were there to rob her, not kill anyone. The guns were for intimidation.

Do you know this as an absolute fact or are you pulling it out of your own ass?

Because I can't say either way. Neither can she. Hence why she erred on the side of caution. Which is perfectly reasonable when three dudes with guns drawn barge into your home.

Lothar

Banned
Unbelievable.

'merica fuck yeah..

Armed robbers are dead, oh no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom