• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videocardz: AMD is targeting 3070 performance with Big Navi

giphy.gif

I was really hoping that AMD would bring the thunder. It really sucks having only 1 high end GPU maker. At least Nvidia quasi pulled their heads out of their ass with the pricing of the 30xx series.

Am i wrong in thinking that a lot of people want to know if amd has something identical to dlss more than knowing the number of teraflops??!

Infinite Cache is the new FP32 secret AMD sauce.

Last edited:

Reindeer

They are not on par, they sit between a 2080ti and a 3080, exactly where we all expect the 3070 to be.
Out of 3 games they released benchmarks for 1 was faster on Big Navi compared to 3080, one was slower and was on par. It's comfortably above 2080TI and pretty close to 3080.

llien

The only reason I want AMD to roll out 3080ish card is to watch the meltdowns, chuckle.

Other than that, it's about perf/price/power consumption and no way in hell AMD wouldn't have a bunch of compelling products.

Not stopping 5700 production is also, quite curious. Next step from 5700XT is 2080.

exactly where we all expect the 3070 to be.
Only naive people expect 3070 to be above 2080Ti

Last edited:

Ascend

They are not on par, they sit between a 2080ti and a 3080, exactly where we all expect the 3070 to be.
How much faster do you expect the 3070 to be? According to nVidia's own slides it's actually on par to the 2080 Ti. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually only 5% faster on average (if not at best).

AMD's software situation is so bad they could somehow release a card 2x 3080 with 32GB of vram and I wouldn't even care
Yeah this is the other issue with AMD, the drivers for 5700XT were an absolute disaster for over 6 months. RDNA was AMD's first actual new architecture for almost a decade at that point, so we now know good AMD drivers really are without recycling GCN over and over and they are shockingly awful.

Last edited:

GymWolf

giphy.gif

I was really hoping that AMD would bring the thunder. It really sucks having only 1 high end GPU maker. At least Nvidia quasi pulled their heads out of their ass with the pricing of the 30xx series.

Infinite Cache is the new FP32 secret AMD sauce.
you have to be more clear dude :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm thankful that AMD released these benchmarks and we can get a feel for the performance of Big Navi. Waiting until the 28th would have sucked.

Just looking at the Gears 5 benchmark, Big Navi is about 5-10% behind a 3080. That's better than I initially thought. We'll see how it does with overclocking. Either way, this is good performance with a lot of VRAM, if it's widely available people are going to buy it. Nvidia stated that they'll have stock issues for 3080/3090 all the way into 2021.

Ascend

I'm thankful that AMD released these benchmarks and we can get a feel for the performance of Big Navi. Waiting until the 28th would have sucked.

Just looking at the Gears 5 benchmark, Big Navi is about 5-10% behind a 3080. That's better than I initially thought. We'll see how it does with overclocking. Either way, this is good performance with a lot of VRAM, if it's widely available people are going to buy it. Nvidia stated that they'll have stock issues for 3080/3090 all the way into 2021.
I'm not even sure if it is 5%-10% behind. It looks to be the same performance if we use Techspot numbers...

I don't know if AMD were lazy or smart but...

Many benchmarks use TAA for Gears 5, which gives higher performance than other AA options...
Borderlands 3 is done with DX11 on TechPowerUp, which can differ compared to DX12. AMD gave DX12 numbers.
CODMW is surprisingly hard to find proper benchmarks on.

cucuchu

I prefer NVIDIA by far but I really hope AMD comes out with something competitive. That can hopefully keep NVIDIA's prices in check.

I wonder if NVIDIA knows what is coming and maybe that is why the 3090 is not an obnoxious price?

If they can only compete with a 3070 it is DOA.

3090 not an obnoxious price? Its insanely overpriced for what it provides if you are just using it for gaming.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I prefer NVIDIA by far but I really hope AMD comes out with something competitive. That can hopefully keep NVIDIA's prices in check.

I wonder if NVIDIA knows what is coming and maybe that is why the 3090 is not an obnoxious price?

If they can only compete with a 3070 it is DOA.
How would nvidia know what is coming? People need to be real about this. It's not like nvidia has a saboteur inside of AMD or AMD is telling nvidia that their performance is going to be this or that.

Pagusas

Elden Member
3090 not an obnoxious price? Its insanely overpriced for what it provides if you are just using it for gaming.

Not compared to the previous gen Titan cards. But yes you'd be silly to use it for gaming only. Luckily alot of us will us it as a cross workload card, just as AMD advertises their high end Zen processors, Workstation & gaming. When you can write your computer off as a business machine, $1400 for a GPU doesnt seem so bad when some of us were use to paying $5k+ for Quotros

Last edited:

cucuchu

Not compared to the previous gen Titan cards. But yes you'd be silly to use it for gaming only. Luckily alot of us will us it as a cross workload card, just as AMD advertises their high end Zen processors, Workstation & gaming. When you can write your computer off as a business machine, $1400 for a GPU doesnt seem so bad when some of us were use to paying $5k+ for Quotros

Agreed, thats why I spoke to the gaming side...which is oddly how NVIDIA has marketed the card.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Aligns well with "3080 was a hotfix to counter Big Navi" theory.
It also seems likely that 3080/3090 were a partial/paper launch to get some hype out in front of Big Navi. Rumors seem to indicate proper stock wasn't available at the time of launch.

I'm not even sure if it is 5%-10% behind. It looks to be the same performance if we use Techspot numbers...

I don't know if AMD were lazy or smart but...
Probably smart by being a little ambiguous. I trust DF and Guru3d to deliver solid results. However, let's say that going by Gears 5 that Big Navi is anywhere from equal to 10% behind a 3080. That's an excellent result for AMD.

Xyphie

How would nvidia know what is coming? People need to be real about this. It's not like nvidia has a saboteur inside of AMD or AMD is telling nvidia that their performance is going to be this or that.

Of course they know (roughly) what's coming. They have access to specs and prices for nodes, memory chips etc years ahead of availability. They also have to work with API vendors like MS, Khronos etc on industry standards like Raytracing and such. It's probably very easy for a semiconductor engineer to guesstimate the performance the competitor will have in the market at any given price point.

Last edited:

Marlenus

For what it is worth (I expect "big navi" to be between 3070 and 3080, closer to 3080, and 3080 to be missing in action for months to come):

1ntywJt.jpg

Amd tested BL3 at badass settings in dx12 Reviews with that preset for the 3080 are closer to 60fps than 70.

Techspot tested gears 5 and got 72fps avg for the 3080.

Cross comparing review benchmarks always leads to variances. Seems this part is 3080 ballpark but we need controlled tests because there are so many variables that impact fps cross comparisons dont work.

FireFly

Hexus have a comparison here:

Also:

"Most importantly, Herkelman stressed that AMD didn’t state which Radeon RX 6000 graphics card ran these benchmarks. We don’t know whether these results come from the biggest Big Navi GPU, or a more modest offering. "

Otherwise, the biggest question that remains for another day is which video card these performance numbers are for. It’s a very safe bet that this is AMD’s flagship GPU (expected to be Navi 21), however AMD is purposely making it unclear if this is their lead configuration, or their second-tier configuration.

I wonder why that could be?

Reindeer

Hexus have a comparison here:

Also:

"Most importantly, Herkelman stressed that AMD didn’t state which Radeon RX 6000 graphics card ran these benchmarks. We don’t know whether these results come from the biggest Big Navi GPU, or a more modest offering. "

Otherwise, the biggest question that remains for another day is which video card these performance numbers are for. It’s a very safe bet that this is AMD’s flagship GPU (expected to be Navi 21), however AMD is purposely making it unclear if this is their lead configuration, or their second-tier configuration.

I wonder why that could be?
it's basically neck and neck by their numbers from those two benchmarks we have, but it's not much to go on with at this point. Still, not looking too shabby for AMD, especially if they can undercut Nvidia by a decent price point.

llien

Amd tested BL3 at badass settings in dx12 Reviews with that preset for the 3080 are closer to 60fps than 70.

Techspot tested gears 5 and got 72fps avg for the 3080.

Cross comparing review benchmarks always leads to variances. Seems this part is 3080 ballpark but we need controlled tests because there are so many variables that impact fps cross comparisons dont work.
Welp, remember that what you get is just a retail card.
What testers test is what MANUFACTURER has picked up and sent them for reviews.
I bet they do not send randomly picked cards.

Still, not looking too shabby for AMD, especially if they can undercut Nvidia by a decent price point.
Since 3080 is a phantom release with no real availability, they are not likely to undercut by much, if at all.

their drivers
There is no sign there ever was a driver problem with 5700 series.
Hardware issues (which are, arguably, not much better) is what happened.

Last edited:

Solrac

amd can target 307 on raw power but if they not improve their drivers, nvidia will be always ahead

Last edited:

cucuchu

What? 3090 is almost a thousand bucks cheaper than previous Titans...

I said 'gaming' in my post...

Titans were not marketted as the 'ultimate gaming GPU'. For development purposes, they are a good value, but 3090's are essentially Titans in all but name marketted as gaming GPU's.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Of course they know (roughly) what's coming. They have access to specs and prices for nodes, memory chips etc years ahead of availability. They also have to work with API vendors like MS, Khronos etc on industry standards like Raytracing and such. It's probably very easy for a semiconductor engineer to guesstimate the performance the competitor will have in the market at any given price point.

Do you not realize that stuff is under very heavy NDA? Companies don't take lightly to that info being given to a competitor. If AIB was caught sharing that info with a competitor AMD could sue them into oblivion.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Ej0e-l8XgAEjTmc

They teased it today this is the chart they showed.

Compared to previous years no IMO.

For a 10% boost over 3080, it's a joke. I canceled my order after the reviews came out. The Asus Strix 3080 850 euros the 3090 cost me 1900 for a 10% boost in certain titles

Last edited:

ZZZZ

The problem i have with AMD are drivers and emulation, until they fix those 2 things i'll always go Nvidia.

evanft

It'll be really interesting if AMD swerves us and this isn't the top tier card.

Also why only three benchmarks, and why these three? I feel like AMD has way more to prove at this point so they need to really bring something compelling to the table.

johntown

Banned
Ej0e-l8XgAEjTmc

They teased it today this is the chart they showed.

For a 10% boost over 3080, it's a joke. I canceled my order after the reviews came out. The Asus Strix 3080 850 euros the 3090 cost me 1900 for a 10% boost in certain titles
Yeah for me I like the extra VRAM. I understand your point though.

As far as the graphic I can only speak for Borderlands 3 at 60fps seems on par with the 3080.

Reindeer

Also why only three benchmarks, and why these three? I feel like AMD has way more to prove at this point so they need to really bring something compelling to the table.
In Borderlands RDNA1 actually performed quite a bit worse than RTX cards. Gears 5 was a win for RTX as well, although this was pretty close. If AMD wanted to pick games that performed better with their cards then they could have chosen some other titles. I think AMD was just displaying confidence by showing benchmarks in games that are not known to be strongest performers for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't know 3080 was a midrange card, good to know, I was wondering what the performance was so underwhelming.
It gets better performance for half the price of a 2080ti... How is that underwhelming? Especially when you compare it to AMD cards over the past couple of releases? If my memory serves me right, AMD performance on raytracing, from what we have seen, is behind Nvidia by a margin at least. Not only that, but there's still no evidence they can combat DLSS, which makes it even less appealing. Even with a cheaper price, AMD won't get my money unless it can trade blows in rasterization, ray tracing, and can go toe to toe with DLSS. Otherwise, it's a no buy/skip this product.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Yeah for me I like the extra VRAM. I understand your point though.

As far as the graphic I can only speak for Borderlands 3 at 60fps seems on par with the 3080.

Still far too much for that extra vram. In wondering how much the 3080 20gb version will be

It gets better performance for half the price of a 2080ti... How is that underwhelming? Especially when you compare it to AMD cards over the past couple of releases? If my memory serves me right, AMD performance on raytracing, from what we have seen, is behind Nvidia by a margin at least. Not only that, but there's still no evidence they can combat DLSS, which makes it even less appealing. Even with a cheaper price, AMD won't get my money unless it can trade blows in rasterization, ray tracing, and can go toe to toe with DLSS. Otherwise, it's a no buy/skip this product.
The point flew right over your head.

Reindeer

It's underwhelming because it gets that level of performance at crazy TDP. It's also underwhelming for only having 10GB VRam, less than 2080TI. And only offering 20% over 2080TI in 1440 is hardly something to write home about.

A lot of the reasons you have mentioned for not buying Navi 2.0 are just assumptions at this point, we won't know until reveal about ray tracing and DLSS alternative. Let's wait and see what Navi 2.0 is all about before we start dismissing it.

The tiny bit of benchmarks AMD showed already confirms that Navi 2.0 should be competing well with 30 series. There's also been leaks showing it having more VRam and potentially coming in cheaper too. Assuming Big Navi is only here to compete with Nvidia's midrange is a bit silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The point flew right over your head.
Which was what exactly? It being a midrange card? I don't necessarily agree with that exactly. But it's not exactly wrong either. There could be a possible 2 SKU's at a higher tier than the 3080. A TI and possibly a Titan, since the 3090 was marketed as a gaming card. I would consider it a mid-high tier gpu if the above is correct, more so a high end card though.

It's underwhelming because it gets that level of performance at crazy TDP. It's also underwhelming for only having 10GB VRam, less than 2080TI. A lot of the reasons you have mentioned for not buying Navi 2.0 are just assumptions at this point, we won't know until reveal about ray tracing and DLSS alternative. Let's wait and see what Navi 2.0 is all about before we start dismissing it. The tiny bit of benchmarks AMD showed already confirms that Navi 2.0 should be competing well with 30 series. There's also been leaks showing it having more VRam and potentially coming in cheaper too.
And that is my exact reason for not having a preorder. I'm waiting to see what AMD has to offer first. I'm not dismissing AMD, but I am pessimistic over their last couple of generations of GPUs. If anyone has any reason to boast right now, it's AMD. Nvidia has shown their cards already, and the only way to win back some market share, would be to let the potential customers know about what AMD has to offer, otherwise they are wasting time and possibly losing potential customers. They should be shouting from the rooftops about their performance, since they have almost became irrelevant when it comes to high-end or enthusiasts GPUs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom