• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videocardz: AMD is targeting 3070 performance with Big Navi

They claimed no such thing. They said they didn't confirm which SKU it is. Technically it can still be the highest one, but it's more likely that it isn't. The leaks of Navi 21A and 21B may or may not be final.
Theoretically, an 80CU RDNA2 card should have no problem being 20% faster than an RTX 3080, provided there are no other bottlenecks.

Classic AMDelusional here folks. infinity cache must literally be the magic bullet to their 256 bus problem if you have a shot in hell of being anywhere close to right, which, of course you're not. No one in the know is predicting anywhere close to 20% better because that's a theoretical maximum which we all know AMD isn't capable of hitting.

The step down from biggest, fastest NAVI, if it's the one shown would therefore imply that biggest navi would meet or slightly exceed the 3080 in conventional rasterized performance. I'll eat humble pie if this is anything but the card that comes within a smidgen of their highest end offering. And at a price undercut of $100+, there's definitely some value there if you don't care about Ray tracing AS MUCH and AMD can come up with a decent competitor to DLSS 2.0

llien

You see, when you pre-order something, you get it when it's available.
Oh, that is how it works.
Good to know.

So why can't you preorder on NV site?
Or on EVGA site?
Or on bestbuy?
Or on newegg?
Or on amazon?
Sorry I ran out of stores that I know exist in USA.

I was told EVGA claimed they were forbidden by Huang to accept pre-order, but let's consider it just reddit rumors.

I mean, I've heard NV is in fact not going to sell those cards at claimed price in serious quantity, but those could be AMD trolls spreading revenge FUD, right?

Enlighten me further, stranger, be so kind!

:messenger_beaming:

CuNi

So why can't you preorder on NV site?
Or on EVGA site?
Or on bestbuy?
Or on newegg?
Or on amazon?
Sorry I ran out of stores that I know exist in USA.

Like I said, that's a US Issue.
How come nearly every US store is not offering pre-orders but nearly every even smaller tech-shop in germany and probably across the EU is?
If Huang forbid them, then he only did so in the US 🤷‍♂️
Weird that ever US store got the note from Huang but the one to EU must have been either lost in shipping or they were produced in too low quantities right?
Like I said, plenty of places to pre-order a 3080 in various models here in the EU.

I mean, I've heard NV is in fact not going to sell those cards at claimed price in serious quantity, but those could be AMD trolls spreading revenge FUD, right?

So you really are going to grasp at straws with the "I heard rumors" argument? Good to know you admit defeat.
Your price argument is false as well. On release, there were cards sold for 699€ and even AIBs had sold some matching price or slightly above. Obviously they are more expensive now as demand is higher than supply.
If you think this won't happen with AMDs GPUs as well then you sadly have not understood how supply and demand works.

llien

How come nearly every US store is not offering pre-orders but nearly every even smaller tech-shop in germany and probably across the EU is?
It seems one can't ban EU stores of EU companies from offering products.
In fact, you can't do a lot of shit that is doable in US, Apple has learned it first hand.

If Huang forbid them, then he only did so in the US 🤷‍♂️
Well, I actually assume this is a reddit rumor, was wondering if you knew the reason why preorders are closed.

Good to know you admit defeat.
If it helps, let me admit defeat using bold letters. Whatever that was I was defeated at, i don't mind, as it seems to add to the discussion.

Weird that ever US store got the note from Huang but the one to EU must have been either lost in shipping or they were produced in too low quantities right?
Oh, I see, again, it was just a rumor and we could let it be, but if you insist, it was EVGA, company heavily dependent on Huang saying they were forbidden from accepting pre-orders.
Oh, look, German EVGA store ain't accepting pre-orders either.
If we flow with the rumor, let's be nuanced.

Last edited:

Ascend

Classic AMDelusional here folks. infinity cache must literally be the magic bullet to their 256 bus problem if you have a shot in hell of being anywhere close to right, which, of course you're not.
Let's wait for the 28th and the reviews before we start calling out victories, shall we?
And.... Who said the 256-bit bus is a problem...?

No one in the know is predicting anywhere close to 20% better because that's a theoretical maximum which we all know AMD isn't capable of hitting.
And how exactly do "you all" "know" this?

The step down from biggest, fastest NAVI, if it's the one shown would therefore imply that biggest navi would meet or slightly exceed the 3080 in conventional rasterized performance
How? The current results pretty much already match the 3080, and those are games where AMD generally underperforms.

I'll eat humble pie if this is anything but the card that comes within a smidgen of their highest end offering. And at a price undercut of $100+, there's definitely some value there if you don't care about Ray tracing AS MUCH and AMD can come up with a decent competitor to DLSS 2.0
We actually don't know much about their RT performance. No one is expecting them to beat Ampere with this, but if they can match Turing, that is more than enough, if they are up to par as everything else.
As for DLSS 2.0, they likely will have a similar solution. Word is that it's less costly but less good looking than DLSS 2.0, but we'll have to wait and see.

Start preparing the pie.

ZywyPL

Banned
We actually don't know much about their RT performance. No one is expecting them to beat Ampere with this, but if they can match Turing, that is more than enough

Call me naive but I'm hoping that AMD's RT performance will be actually better than what NV offers. Because if it's the same or slightly slower, and without DLSS-equivalent to back it up, I'm afraid the cards will be RT capable but in practice only at 1080p, maybe 1440p, which is still OK, depending on the pricing, but for anyone aiming for high framerates or 4K, or both, NV will remain as the only way to go.

regawdless

Banned
Call me naive but I'm hoping that AMD's RT performance will be actually better than what NV offers. Because if it's the same or slightly slower, and without DLSS-equivalent to back it up, I'm afraid the cards will be RT capable but in practice only at 1080p, maybe 1440p, which is still OK, depending on the pricing, but for anyone aiming for high framerates or 4K, or both, NV will remain as the only way to go.

No matter how much credit I'm willing to give AMD, I just can't imagine them having better RT performance. Nvidia has done some very good work regarding RT so far and this will be AMDs first shot.

Ascend

I'm cautiously hopeful that it can keep up... But there is not much to go on. All we know is that they are quiet about it, and we have an XSX demo for RT, but that doesn't help us that much to gauge it against nVidia.
One of the advantages of AMD's solution is that every CU is technically an RT core as well. That makes the architecture more flexible on how to scale the CUs between RT and rasterization techniques. But flexibility often comes at the cost of efficiency.

I'm not getting my hopes up for RT being great. And honestly, Ampere was kind of disappointing to me with its RT performance. I expected more. So... Yeah.
As for DLSS, I have the impression that it is mainly there to push the otherwise unusable RT.

CuNi

If rumors so far are true, then RDNA2 GPUs will also suck around 320 Watts and AIBs up to 350 Watts, just like the RTX 3000 Series.
Also seems like AMD is also fucking AIBs over by giving them Chips with no real driver to unlock full performance so AIBs have, just like with RTX 3000 Series, no way to bin or test the chips.
"Limited Quantity" supposed to launch mid November with most AIBs only releasing end of November and only in quantities that can be shipped by air.

Seems like nobody will get a "next-gen" card before 2021.
Shocking. Not.

Last edited:

Xyphie

Navi 21 using as much or more power than Ampere shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. We've known for weeks that it uses at least 238W for the GPU alone for the high-end version, which is more than GA102 (~225W).

If rumors so far are true, then RDNA2 GPUs will also suck around 320 Watts and AIBs up to 350 Watts, just like the RTX 3000 Series.
Also seems like AMD is also fucking AIBs over by giving them Chips with no real driver to unlock full performance so AIBs have, just like with RTX 3000 Series, no way to bin or test the chips.
"Limited Quantity" supposed to launch mid November with most AIBs only releasing end of November and only in quantities that can be shipped by air.

Seems like nobody will get a "next-gen" card before 2021.
Shocking. Not.

I like Igor, but he's talking shit here.
15W for fans? Is he expecting 15000RPM delta fans on this GPU?

The 5700 XT with a 256-bit bus has about 45W of non-GPU power, taking it from 180W core power to 225W TBP. But with Navi 21 suddenly the non-GPU power is 85W? They're not running GDDR6X.
Absolutely baffling numbers here.

I should just clarify that these power draw numbers are not actually a leak but rather speculation/calculation from Igor based on previous leaks by Patrick Schur about TGP.

I've no idea how accurate his estimate is, could be possible that AMD are pushing clocks/power consumption to get the best possible performance as Nvidia showed the world that nobody seems to care about power draw/efficiency?

Another possibility I've seen floated was the power draw of the USB-C port pushing up the total power draw by like 30W or so. No idea how true that is either but figured it was worth mentioning.

Here is what rogame has to say in the comments:

CuNi

I like Igor, but he's talking shit here.
15W for fans? Is he expecting 15000RPM delta fans on this GPU?

The 5700 XT with a 256-bit bus has about 45W of non-GPU power, taking it from 180W core power to 225W TBP. But with Navi 21 suddenly the non-GPU power is 85W? They're not running GDDR6X.
Absolutely baffling numbers here.

If you look closely it's "fans/other power", so not just fans but possible RGB, some GPUs have additional FAN Headers etc.
Also, USB Type C alone adds between 20 to 30 Watts to the card. 30 Watts is spec for it but some deviate and I think some reported 25W for USB-C alone.
I think Navi 21 beeing between 300W and 320W is quit a realistic look at it. AIBs will obviously go haywire with it. Just look at 3080 ASUS STRIX. That shit has the capability to go up to 450W.

llien

Also, USB Type C alone adds between 20 to 30 Watts to the card. 30 Watts is spec for it but some deviate and I think some reported 25W for USB-C alone.
Hm, why would it consume anything if not used? Or you mean it needs to be include din theoretical TBP?

If you look closely it's "fans/other power", so not just fans but possible RGB, some GPUs have additional FAN Headers etc.
I think Navi 21 beeing between 300W and 320W is quit a realistic look at it. AIBs will obviously go haywire with it. Just look at 3080 ASUS STRIX. That shit has the capability to go up to 450W.
None of that is 15W

CuNi

Hm, why would it consume anything if not used? Or you mean it needs to be include din theoretical TBP?

I would assume it has to be in the theoretical limit.
Afterall I think you can use that USB C port to connect a Monitor.
I can't imagine the press shitstorm AMD would get when your GPU downclocks just because you connect one of your screen to the USB-C Port :/

Top Bottom