• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Rufus

Seraphis Cain said:
Just wondering, is this the most popular thread on GAF? Only 8,000~ replies, but over 2.3 million views. Insanity.
It's the nature of the topic, I would say. Not everyone has something actually relevant to contribute (and most people probably feel stupid posting something to the effect of 'cool' that nobody will give a shit about), so of course the thread views are going to appear massively inflated.

Zelda and Link's first appearance in SMURFILY EVER AFTER(1985)
Now we know where Nintendo got their inspiration from.
35d9c93.jpg

Ahoi-Brause said:
35d9c93.jpg

Haha, holy shit.. I mean, Link and Zelda are fairly traditional "forest elf"/princess archetypes, but that's still a pretty stunning coincidence. It's so close that the only reason I would still bet that it's a coincidence is because I can't imagine why Shigeru Miyamoto would be randomly inspired by an episode of The Smurfs. Also I'm not sure how long it took to make Zelda.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
CecilMcW00t said:
Ok I know this has been debunked, but it's interesting (to me at least) that there is a boss in FF9 named Ozma...

Well, Ozma is a pretty overt reference to Oz and Princess Ozma, given that L. Frank Baum created both names. Are there any other fictional "leader" boss names used in the FF games? I knew of eastern spirit/god names, but Ozma is the name of a fictional fairy princess...

(I see one theory is that it's named for the SETI Project OZMA ... which was named after Princess Ozma, so...)

vid

I've been playing through Super Mario RPG alongside the Fangamer Fanfest... stumbled across this a couple of weeks ago and had to get a screenshot.

smrpgmulti.jpg

I'm stunned that they bothered to put in a screen for this.

bengraven

DavidDayton said:
Well, Ozma is a pretty overt reference to Oz and Princess Ozma, given that L. Frank Baum created both names. Are there any other fictional "leader" boss names used in the FF games? I knew of eastern spirit/god names, but Ozma is the name of a fictional fairy princess...

(I see one theory is that it's named for the SETI Project OZMA ... which was named after Princess Ozma, so...)

FFIX was going for a fairy tale feel. It wouldn't surprise me if the creators were reading/looking at old books of fairy tales or early fantasy stories such as the Rackham-illustrated Oz books.

In fact, I'd count on it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
bengraven said:
FFIX was going for a fairy tale feel. It wouldn't surprise me if the creators were reading/looking at old books of fairy tales or early fantasy stories such as the Rackham-illustrated Oz books.
In fact, I'd count on it.

John R. Neill was the Imperial Illustrator of Oz... not Rackham, unless there was an edition I'm unaware of.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Haha, holy shit.. I mean, Link and Zelda are fairly traditional "forest elf"/princess archetypes, but that's still a pretty stunning coincidence. It's so close that the only reason I would still bet that it's a coincidence is because I can't imagine why Shigeru Miyamoto would be randomly inspired by an episode of The Smurfs. Also I'm not sure how long it took to make Zelda.
Well you never know, maybe he just watched it briefly and then it went into his subconsciousness

Roto13

Emonga said:
I remember watching Smurfily Ever After as a kid. IIRC, "Zelda" was deaf and "Link" had to learn sign language to woo her or something?
And that's why Link is a silent protagonist, even to this day! Don't you see!?

Seraphis Cain said:
Just wondering, is this the most popular thread on GAF? Only 8,000~ replies, but over 2.3 million views. Insanity.

I've seen this thread linked to on a lot of blogs and gaming sites. I'm sure a lot of it is from that.

brerwolfe

BocoDragon said:
LOL if this is a surprise to you. PS2 and PS3 are best vertical with their logos proper! Known that since PS2 launch.

Can't turn logo? Fuck the slim! 60 GB phat for life! (YLOD come at me bro).

it even says in the console's instruction manual that the logo turns. i don't know why this is so fascinating to people!

jett

D-Member
Ahoi-Brause said:
35d9c93.jpg

lol. That's nothing.

This is what Nintendo was "inspired" by:

51T05D8QPBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rufus said:
It's the nature of the topic, I would say. Not everyone has something actually relevant to contribute (and most people probably feel stupid posting something to the effect of 'cool' that nobody will give a shit about), so of course the thread views are going to appear massively inflated.

You also get people looking through old posts to make sure that they're not posting something already in there. As well as those who search back through the whole thread to look for redundant mindblowns so they can reply "Hah, that's like cloudbush old!". I, for instance, probably viewed the thread and its individual messages about five thousand times in the last few weeks working on my project.

Ahoi-Brause said:

smurfilyeverafter.jpeg

No way, his hair isn't pink!

BocoDragon said:
Perhaps more importantly... she was Clare Redfield in RE2 and Code Veronica...

Oh, huh. Just looked it up, and for some reason I always thought it was "Resident Evil: Code Veronica" when it was actually "Resident Evil Code: Veronica". Silly me.

thomaser

vid said:
I've been playing through Super Mario RPG alongside the Fangamer Fanfest... stumbled across this a couple of weeks ago and had to get a screenshot.

smrpgmulti.jpg

I'm stunned that they bothered to put in a screen for this.

That kinda looks like Mr. Resetti from Animal Crossing.

JaseMath

jett said:
lol. That's nothing.

This is what Nintendo was "inspired" by:

51T05D8QPBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Seriously this. The Black Cauldron could be its own Zelda game - a lot of neat coincidences (if they are indeed "coincidences").

Professor Beef said:
But you DO know who that is, right?

...right?
Anyone can recognize Mario, silly.
The little red hat gives him away every time!

I love the akira/halflife comparison.
This thread also makes me feel guilty for still never testing the turning ps logo for myself.

Screenboy

Roto13 said:
Well, this one doesn't suck. In Mega Man X3, Neon Tiger's stage music in all likelihood borrows from the Guns 'n Roses song My Michelle. Someone who works on the Mega Man X games definitely likes Guns 'n Roses, if the background in the stage of Axle the Red (a robotic rose) is any indication. Most of the Guns 'n Roses references in Mega Man X5 were inserted during localization (including Axle the Red's name, which was Spike Rosered in Japan), but not all of them.

Bonus bit of mindblowingness for Canadians: The woman responsible for the name changes in Mega Man X 5 was Alyson Court. She played Loonette on The Big Comfy Couch. :p

This is hilarious because I'm pretty sure this is everyone's opinion of you. You believe what you want to believe, with out any regard for how stupid it is.

EDIT: Adding me to your ignore list really does support the whole "LALALALALA I'M NOT LISTENING" thing, doesn't it?

Axel will sue the shit out of these if he found out.

Cheerilee

Mike M said:
Don't those kind of elevators just exist in real life and happen to look like that?
Diagonal freight elevators exist. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be better able to lift massive weight loads, because it's easier to push something up a hill than it is to lift it. But I think they're all mostly unique, because they're not mass produced, they're custom designed and built on rare occasions for the unique needs and terrain of whatever unusual facility they get built into. One elevator might not even be able to trade parts with another.

Right beside the lift, there's a door-looking thing with an overhang and a support beam that goes up and attaches to the ceiling that's the same in both. I'd say that's probably the biggest indicator that the level designer was at least inspired by the lift he saw in Akira. He wanted to design a cool elevator. He looked at a 2D drawing of one. Then he built a 3D one of similar design.

If an elevator of that style exists, it seems unlikely that it was the basis for both the level designer and Katsuhiro Otomo's designs, because they're on other sides of the Pacific. And I suspect that a similar elevator in Japan wasn't even the (direct) basis for Otomo's elevator. Akira oozes too much creativity for me to expect that.

Simon Belmont said:
Actually there are 12 different tones in standard western music.
I was thinking of A through G. But obviously it's been a while since music class.

Clipper

ruby_onix said:
I was thinking of A through G. But obviously it's been a while since music class.
You weren't fully wrong. There are actually 7 tones (A through G), but 12 semitones (you forgot the sharps/flats).

Clipper

Kaiken said:
Couldn't wait to be a member to post this.
That soothing music that played during the character bios in Eternal Champions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTcQMQXJGPw

Now, who I've listened to back in the day. Bone Thungs n Harmony's Eternal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKQe23hUnY4

Coincidence? I think not.
Yeah, never heard either of these before, but they are obviously referencing the game music, both in the album title (despite that also being related to an older album name apparently) and the fact that most of the song is there, not just a single phrase. Using obscure songs in a new context is pretty common in hip hop, though, and I'm guessing the original song is probably credited in the album notes (at least I hope it is).

Kaiken

Banned
Clipper said:
Yeah, never heard either of these before, but they are obviously referencing the game music, both in the album title (despite that also being related to an older album name apparently) and the fact that most of the song is there, not just a single phrase. Using obscure songs in a new context is pretty common in hip hop, though, and I'm guessing the original song is probably credited in the album notes (at least I hope it is).

Link
However, Bone does not mention Sega in the album credits for using their copyrighted music.

Looks like they didn't.

aaaaaa

JasonMCG said:
Seriously this. The Black Cauldron could be its own Zelda game - a lot of neat coincidences (if they are indeed "coincidences").

generic kids fantasy tends to look like generic kids fantasy

Gravijah

Kaiken said:
Couldn't wait to be a member to post this.
That soothing music that played during the character bios in Eternal Champions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTcQMQXJGPw

Now, who I've listened to back in the day. Bone Thungs n Harmony's Eternal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKQe23hUnY4

Coincidence? I think not.

That's not the only Bone Thugs song that samples EC, and the other one is even more obvious.

Bone Thugs n Harmony - Crossroads

Eternal Champions - Bad Ending

ronito

Speaking of extrapolating small coincidences....

Here's the shampoo and conditioner at the marriott I'm staying at:

e0TlN.jpg

One letter off each.
FYI,
Quinoa:
220px-Quinua.JPG

Amaranth:
220px-Amaranthus_tricolor0.jpg

C3X64.gif

mEV6C.jpg

aaaaaa said:
generic kids fantasy tends to look like generic kids fantasy
The Black Cauldron is actually pretty dark for a Disney movie and was even censored before release. Its atmosphere and themes lead itself very well to what you would expect in Zelda.

However; Zelda 1's plot is still pretty different from the Black Cauldron and you can probably find more differences than similarities. I still wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of inspiration though, Black Cauldron came out a year before and the "unlikely hero with a magic sword" lends itself much better to a video game than what actually happens in the movie.

Black Cauldron is nothing like Zelda except for the fact that there's a kid in green and he has a sword.

I'm probably an equally avid Nintendo and Disney fan and I've played through/watched each a shit ton of times.

Phoenixus

This'll either be a surprising oversight that no-one has noticed (certainly never seen it mentioned here before), or something so incredibly obvious that everyone notices and doesn't bother mentioning it. My luck, it'll be the latter, so feel free to hand me my ass if it is. :(

5L-thumb-250x137-7597.jpg

The three main notes for Zelda's Lullaby, the most important melody for progress in the original Ocarina of Time, resemble the formation of the Triforce when put closer together. The bottom left piece of wisdom, the top piece of power, and the bottom right piece of courage.

Edit; Okay, its a stretch considering left and right are pointing away from the center, but I think you can see what I am getting at. :)

Phoenixus said:
This'll either be a surprising oversight that no-one has noticed (certainly never seen it mentioned here before), or something so incredibly obvious that everyone notices and doesn't bother mentioning it. My luck, it'll be the latter, so feel free to hand me my ass if it is. :(

The three main notes for Zelda's Lullaby, the most important melody for progress in the original Ocarina of Time, resemble the formation of the Triforce when put closer together. The bottom left piece of wisdom, the top piece of power, and the bottom right piece of courage.

Edit; Okay, its a stretch considering left and right are pointing away from the center, but I think you can see what I am getting at. :)
Pretty sure it's the latter. Always seemed obvious to me anyway.

Phoenixus said:

I thought this was kind of an obvious point the game was making.

Okay something really bizarre just happened to me. So I come home from work just a while ago and I do my usual routine of throwing my keys and wallet on the dresser, turning on my PS3 and selecting a random music track and put it on random. I get dressed and then just fall on my couch face first and just lay. Just laying there relaxing half awake and half asleep.

Then this track comes on. It starts to play. It kinda starts to really stand out to me. I listen a bit more, and realize I have no idea what this song is!?! I know my playlist like the back of my hand and I have NEVER heard this before. I don't hate it, in fact it's something I could have put on my PS3.

In a half daze I start freaking out. I quickly hit the home button to see what this is. It's labled "BGM In My Room" The title of the song took me back a bit. I know I have never seen this before. I have everything grouped into one folder and every track is named and a corrisponding album picture this track was picture-less and had underscores in it.

I frantically scrolled through my 600+ playlist looking to find my hidden intruder amongst all my beloved classics. Then when I spot the now playing symbol I come to an almost screeching halt. To my amazement there were an additional 16 tracks!!!!

WTF! I said aloud. Surely I could not have downloaded an entire playlist and not have noticed. I play each song listening one to the next. Each one played entirely different and yet felt like they all belonged. My first initial reaction was did the flower soundrack become a free and auto-download due the playstation plus but then I quickly dismissed that theory. I know I'll use my "shazam" app on my phone and it can tell me what this came from. The app loads as a eagerly anticipate the results. The screen flashes "Unidentifiable Song" What! It can't find any of them!

My next idea was to search for them on youtube everythings on youtube in one shape or form. You tube failed me. I know I'll google the song titles. Nothing. I was starting to get frustrated. After a couple more google searches, I finally found my answer. My last search was "Unknown PS3 Songs"

Apparently these 16 Songs are default songs used in the PS3 video editor. Well so what I thought. I've used the editor several times and never heard/used these songs before and they never appeared in my playlist before. Okay thats where they came from. I'll just delete them then.

"Error Code 76843 Unable to delete"

WHATWHATWAHT WHAT! What is going on!!?

Well here's the rundown. I don't know if this is a glitch or something but heres what happens to the best of my knowledge.

The PS3 video editor by default starts off with a blank video. You first take your desired clip and edit it and it saves it to the initial blank video. The initial blank video is then copied to your VIDEO section on the XMB. Afterwards another blank video is added in the editor.

You can freely delete already created edited videos that are saved on the editor itself BUT if you delete the blank video the 16 HIDDEN SONGS automatically get transferred to your PS3 music folder in the backround. They can then be found and played in the "Unknown" section of the PS3's music folder and CAN NOT be deleted.

To fix this and get rid of these ghost songs. Go back into the Video Editor and create a blank video and exit out. If you look back in your music playlist all of the tracks will automatically be gone.

Whew...Sorry for the Wall of Text guys but I had to share.

Kirk

Clipper said:
You weren't fully wrong. There are actually 7 tones (A through G), but 12 semitones (you forgot the sharps/flats).

To be more accurate, a tone is the distance between two notes. A full octave is made of 12 semi-tones. A whole tone is the distance of two semi-tones. Scales have different patterns of tones and semi-tones. A major scale, one of the most common, has the following patten: tone, tone, semi-tone, tone, tone, tone, semi-tone (7 notes, that's where the idea of 7 tones or notes comes from). Add those up and they come up to 12. A C major scale is the one that uses no sharps or flats, just because it starts at C. Therefore you can deduce that the distance between all of the non sharp or flat notes is a whole tone, except for E to F (there is no E sharp or F flat) and B to C (there is no B sharp or C flat).

IAmABeliver

Neo Member
Seraphis Cain said:

Well, I've been waiting to get this account verified forever...since I first found this topic.

I had something to contribute...but forgot it months ago. So, I'll just embed a video. No, it's not a music coincidence or anything, but considering how many people in this thread seem to like that kind of stuff, you should get a kick out of the video:

Song of Storms Black Dance

Top Bottom