• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Chairhome

IAmABeliver said:
Well, I've been waiting to get this account verified forever...since I first found this topic.

I had something to contribute...but forgot it months ago. So, I'll just embed a video. No, it's not a music coincidence or anything, but considering how many people in this thread seem to like that kind of stuff, you should get a kick out of the video:

Song of Storms Black Dance
You named your link "Song of Storms Black Dance"?

mind blowing racism?

Gravijah said:
It was posted way before then, I'm pretty sure. Multiple times.

Heh, not likely. :)

I posted it on March 7 after seeing it on "the Nintendo website that shall not be named" who got it from Capcom-Unity where it was posted that same day. They in turn took the basis for the image from an article posted on the website Visual Attack Formation on August 4th, 2010 (http://www.vis-atk.com/2010/08/04/typefacial-recognition-1-capcom/).

The Jeopardy font/Capcom connection wasn't posted in this or any thread on NeoGAF prior to March 7. The image itself didn't exist until Capcom-Unity posted it it that very day.

Gravijah

RockXLight said:
Heh, not likely. :)

I posted it on March 7 after seeing it on "the Nintendo website that shall not be named" who got it from Capcom-Unity where it was posted that same day. They in turn took it an article posted on the website Visual Attack Formation on August 4th, 2010 (http://www.vis-atk.com/2010/08/04/typefacial-recognition-1-capcom/).

The Jeopardy font/Capcom connection wasn't posted in this or any thread on NeoGAF prior to March 7. In fact, that image didn't exist until Capcom-Unity posted it it that very day.

I think you may be right, I think I have just seen it in threads around the site.

IAmABeliver

Neo Member
Chairhome said:
You named your link "Song of Storms Black Dance"?

mind blowing racism?

Try putting "Song of Storms" into the YouTube search field. Before the dubstep remix came out, it was in the list of auto complete.

Just enjoy the video. Everyone who isn't an idiot understands that it's a bunch of black youth dancing to Zelda music while doing satirical "urban" dancing. It's a joke, and I think it's quite the funny one at that.

This PC world needs to lighten up. And in particular, you're active in a community on the Internet that gets exposed to erotic Sonic the Hedgehog fan art on the regular (whether on purpose or not). You can't seriously be offended by what I wrote.

Clipper

wrowa said:
Don't worry, you weren't the first one to post it either.
You weren't the first one to post that! And he already proved he was the first to post the image, although I think I do remember it being mentioned in the thread in text form earlier than that, but could be confusing with the whole Price is Right/GTA font thingy.

cacildo

Somebody get this thread, search every reply, get the good secrets and make a simple blog/website with it.

This repetition thing is getting annoying

Gravijah

Clipper said:
You weren't the first one to post that! And he already proved he was the first to post the image, although I think I do remember it being mentioned in the thread in text form earlier than that, but could be confusing with the whole Price is Right/GTA font thingy.

Yeah, I think I might be confusing it with that, too.

cacildo

Professor Beef said:
sorry sir

Especially since i posted an AMAZING secret regarding Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey and it got lost in the old pages.

And i also posted another INCREDIBLE secret about Paper Boy on the Snes.... and no one cared. But it was really really incredible!

bengraven

IAmABeliver said:
Well, I've been waiting to get this account verified forever...since I first found this topic.

I had something to contribute...but forgot it months ago. So, I'll just embed a video. No, it's not a music coincidence or anything, but considering how many people in this thread seem to like that kind of stuff, you should get a kick out of the video:

Song of Storms Black Dance

... :eek:

Saw this on reddit, don't recall seeing it here.

QHrcw.png

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Snytbaggen said:
No he doesn't!

http://phantomleap.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/smb-eu-2-pl.jpg[/IMG
[spoiler]That's the cover I have[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

God damn it mario, you were supposed to save the princess why the hell are you fleeing with a mushroom in your hand?

*cue intervention intro*

Lijik said:
Wait is that linked video the bonus intro?
Thats kind of blowing my mind mainly because it comes up normally on the PC version and I have to skip it everytime I play.

I was about to say the same actually. I definitely recall that intro from the PC version back in 1995.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Lionel Mandrake said:

QHrcw.png
Sorry for quoting the image in it's fullest, but, in my opinion, my observations need the image companionship.

I love how, not only he's dying in the picture, that's a total 8bit bullshot: That Mario Sprite has way too many colors for a NES Sprite. His skin is skintone, his boots are brown and his overalls have shading.

My friend also pointed out that, not only that, he's slightly angled, which would mean Mode 7-like sprite manipulation was possible on the NES, which we all know is not true.

Interestingly enough, back then we all accepted it as artistic freedom back in the day. Nowadays, it's just viewed as deceiving the customer, a view which I share.

vulva

drizzle said:
Sorry for quoting the image in it's fullest, but, in my opinion, my observations need the image companionship.

I love how, not only he's dying in the picture, that's a total 8bit bullshot: That Mario Sprite has way too many colors for a NES Sprite. His skin is skintone and his boots are brown, and his overalls have shading.

My friend also pointed out that, not only that, he's slightly angled, which would mean Mode 7-like sprite manipulation was possible on the NES, which we all know is not true.

Interestingly enough, back then we all accepted it as artistic freedom back in the day. Nowadays, it's just viewed as deceiving the customer, a view which I share.
...really now? This post actually exists?

Lijik said:
Wait is that linked video the bonus intro?
Thats kind of blowing my mind mainly because it comes up normally on the PC version and I have to skip it everytime I play.
AbsoluteZero said:
I was about to say the same actually. I definitely recall that intro from the PC version back in 1995.

The very same Intro appears on the PS1 if you hold the buttons down during boot, but with a black background and different music. According to youtube comments you just need to hold the shoulder buttons (not all buttons like I used to), the PS1 version normally has a different intro.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
vulva said:
...really now? This post actually exists?
A 720p press picture of a PSP game is called bullshot since it depicts a game looking much better than the machine is capable of rendering and creates week-long discussions on GAF. I'm just saying that, now that the times are different, press material is viewed differently.

I'm not saying "omg they were scamming us from the start". I'm just pointing out how things change with time.

Lijik

drizzle said:

I love how, not only he's dying in the picture, that's a total 8bit bullshot: That Mario Sprite has way too many colors for a NES Sprite. His skin is skintone, his boots are brown and his overalls have shading.

And those speedlines? Totally ludicrous!

Datschge said:
So game covers are bullshots now? Since they should always show just the in-game graphics but never do?

I think the point he's making is that they didn't produce an original cover, like a cartoon representation of Mario (like the European version earlier), but showed an 8-bit style image, that isn't actually 8-bit.

brerwolfe

but then you flip it over and see the screenshots on the back of the box and you're all "close enough" and move on with your life.

Hahahah. That cover is mindblowing to me. I could never figure out what was going on in that cover as a kid.

What's even more interesting is that on the "Mario & Duck Hunt & Track and Field" triple game cartridge, they do a hand drawn artwork this time, but it's still that exact scene in the game where Mario is shooting a fireball into a wall.

Gravijah

brerwolfe said:
but then you flip it over and see the screenshots on the back of the box and you're all "close enough" and move on with your life.

Bullshots are actually the leading cause of cancer in the USA.

drizzle said:

I am of the opinion that this is a pretty awesome joke post, but just in case it is not, I am going to reply as if it were serious:
The whole thing has been completely redrawn. The fireball sprite, the wall, Mario - everything is different. So not really a bullshot.

jaxword

fossil coast said:
I am of the opinion that this is a pretty awesome joke post, but just in case it is not, I am going to reply as if it were serious:
The whole thing has been completely redrawn. The fireball sprite, the wall, Mario - everything is different. So not really a bullshot.

Looks like the lava is from in-game.

drizzle said:

They used to be able to get away with a lot of shit back then.

TheOGB

Banned
Lionel Mandrake said:

http://i.imgur.com/QHrcw.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
I've actually always wondered [I]why Mario is jumping straight into a brick wall[/I] anyway

TheOGB said:
I've actually always wondered why Mario is jumping straight into a brick wall anyway

The angle of the Blast Processing motion blur makes it seem like he jumped from the lava, too. Maybe in an earlier build Fire Mario was immune to lava?

jaxword said:
Looks like the lava is from in-game.

If you look carefully, the right side of the wavy thing under the lava is two pixels wide (or more like one and a half). In the original, it's just one. Also, looking at the wall on the box, the lava is flat for three pixel lengths whereas in the game it's two.

TheOGB

Banned
Zombie James said:
The angle of the Blast Processing motion blur makes it seem like he jumped from the lava, too. Maybe in an earlier build Fire Mario was immune to lava?
That's silly

NES didn't have Blast Processing

Christine

fossil coast said:
If you look carefully, the right side of the wavy thing under the lava is two pixels wide (or more like one and a half). In the original, it's just one. Also, looking at the wall on the box, the lava is flat for three pixel lengths whereas in the game it's two.

fucking hell

TheOGB said:
I've actually always wondered why Mario is jumping straight into a brick wall anyway
As a friend said on IM, it's not exactly false advertisement if you're a first time player.

Did you just study where they don't get the aspect ratio of the pixels correct in a hand drawn rendition...?

As a pixel artist I can see that it's intended to be the same despite everything else having shading and different colors.

Top Bottom