• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Clipper

You guys are all missing the point! The fact that Mario's foot is partially entering the wall between two bricks clearly means they are demonstrating the SMB wall jump glitch. The lava proves it as he'd otherwise be dying, but a wall jump from that position would save him. The fireball is simply because the person playing the game was mashing buttons to get the wall jump correct and fired a fireball at the same time.

Hence, it is quite clear, given they demonstrated it on the box, that the wall jump is not a glitch, but a feature. It is and always has been intended to be a legitimate maneuver. We just thought it was glitchy all this time...

Joke post, of course.

KittenMaster said:
Did you just study where they don't get the aspect ratio of the pixels correct in a hand drawn rendition...?

As a pixel artist I can see that it's intended to be the same despite everything else having shading and different colors.

You are wrong, and I will destroy you.
Aspect ratio has nothing to do with the area I was talking about (or the hair, or the brim of the hat).

fossil coast said:
Aspect ratio has nothing to do with the area I was talking about (or the hair, or the brim of the hat).
TG2vU.gif

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Clipper said:
You guys are all missing the point! The fact that Mario's foot is partially entering the wall between two bricks clearly means they are demonstrating the SMB wall jump glitch. The lava proves it as he'd otherwise be dying, but a wall jump from that position would save him. The fireball is simply because the person playing the game was mashing buttons to get the wall jump correct and fired a fireball at the same time.

Hence, it is quite clear, given they demonstrated it on the box, that the wall jump is not a glitch, but a feature. It is and always has been intended to be a legitimate maneuver. We just thought it was glitchy all this time...

Joke post, of course.
I'm glad somebody beat me to posting this.

If you want to play this way...

I put a green box of 1 pixel thickness around one of the areas that is made to appear as a 2x1 block. I then copied this square and put it over all of the other parts that should be two pixels wide.

bX0l0.png

The result: The area you described as being 3 pixels wide is really a small extra percentage wider than the other blocks.

KittenMaster said:
If you want to play this way...

I put a green box of 1 pixel thickness around one of the areas that is made to appear as a 2x1 block. I then copied this square and put it over all of the other parts that should be two pixels wide.

bX0l0.png

The result: The area you described as being 3 pixels wide is really a small extra percentage wider than the other blocks.

In the original game screenshot, the right side of the wobbly wave thing is only one pixel wide. On the box, it's two - same as your little green rectangles. Your comparison is irrelevant.

I don't know if its common knowledge but in New Super Mario Bros. DS, when you are starting a new game, press and hold L+R and instead of Mario you'll play as Luigi. The whole cutscene with Princess Peach and Bowser stealing her away is with Luigi. I don't know about you guys but my mind was blown when I saw Peach as Luigi's girlfriend.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Princess Toadstool...

Think about it.

Jasoco

Banned
Clipper said:

Joke post, of course.
Ah, but don't you notice the angle Mario is coming from? He's actually jumping OUT of the lava! But not successfully.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Lionheart1827 said:
I think he was pointing out just her name Toadstool. So a stool that is Toad, and Toad's head is shaped like a cockhead.

What do I know?

I think he was talking about
doodie
. Toad
doodie

Look at this ridiculous bullshot. Look at the size and detail of those sprites (you can see each individual finger and the fear/joy in their eyes) and they have REAL-TIME SHADOWS!

Pro_Wrestling_NES_Box-art.png

drizzle said:
Sorry for quoting the image in it's fullest, but, in my opinion, my observations need the image companionship.

I love how, not only he's dying in the picture, that's a total 8bit bullshot: That Mario Sprite has way too many colors for a NES Sprite. His skin is skintone, his boots are brown and his overalls have shading.

My friend also pointed out that, not only that, he's slightly angled, which would mean Mode 7-like sprite manipulation was possible on the NES, which we all know is not true.

Interestingly enough, back then we all accepted it as artistic freedom back in the day. Nowadays, it's just viewed as deceiving the customer, a view which I share.

where's Shawn Elliott when you need him?

jaxword

DiipuSurotu said:
We all know how Vagrant Story is secretly supposed to take place in Ivalice, the setting of several Final Fantasy installments. Well, according to Yasumi Matsuno, Vagrant Story was NOT meant to take place there at all:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28937771&postcount=313

Ivalice fanon has just been shattered.

Yeah, It's been in other interviews that VS was just a standalone game, but subsequent pressures (likely from marketing above) have retconned it in anyways.

Fun Fact about both FFT and Vagrant story: Both of them are specifically said to be "The first part" of a grander story.

Still holding out for FFT-2, someday...

Myriadis

DiipuSurotu said:
We all know how Vagrant Story is secretly supposed to take place in Ivalice, the setting of several Final Fantasy installments. Well, according to Yasumi Matsuno, Vagrant Story was NOT meant to take place there at all:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28937771&postcount=313

Ivalice fanon has just been shattered.

It's also interesting to see the map of Tactics left to the Map of FFXII.

It's contradicted,however,in the intro of FFXII,where it shows a larger map of Ivalice,but I like the simple idea.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
DiipuSurotu said:
Yup, this map is correct. The intro of FFXII is the only source that contradicts it. The map of Revenant Wings also implies FFT's map is to the left of FFXII's map:

http://i.imgur.com/SliZl.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
That's pretty cool.

Dunan

DiipuSurotu said:
Yup, this map is correct. The intro of FFXII is the only source that contradicts it. The map of Revenant Wings also implies FFT's map is to the left of FFXII's map:

Diipu, did you make that map yourself? If so, you're using a font (Comic Ivalician Truetype) that I created back in 2001 or so.

Discovering that the rune-like letters in FFT could actually be read was what got me hooked on trying to figure out all the writing systems that games use. My mind was completely blown on that day, and when I went on the internet I saw that no one else seemed to have discovered it.

(And, getting pedantic for a moment, the second 'L' in "VILLAGE" should be the repetition mark that this game's makers devised for when the same letter appears twice in a row. It looks like a little backwards 'cc'.)

It was that game that made me want to read the scripts created for all kinds of other games -- FF12, FF13, Nier, Valkyria Chronicles, etc. -- and I'm always disappointed when The Internet doesn't seem interested. ^_^;

Metal B

Jasoco said:
Ah, but don't you notice the angle Mario is coming from? He's actually jumping OUT of the lava! But not successfully.

He properly jump off a falling platform, which was falling into the lava.
level-2.jpg

Dunan said:
Diipu, did you make that map yourself? If so, you're using a font (Comic Ivalician Truetype) that I created back in 2001 or so.

Discovering that the rune-like letters in FFT could actually be read was what got me hooked on trying to figure out all the writing systems that games use. My mind was completely blown on that day, and when I went on the internet I saw that no one else seemed to have discovered it.

(And, getting pedantic for a moment, the second 'L' in "VILLAGE" should be the repetition mark that this game's makers devised for when the same letter appears twice in a row. It looks like a little backwards 'cc'.)

It was that game that made me want to read the scripts created for all kinds of other games -- FF12, FF13, Nier, Valkyria Chronicles, etc. -- and I'm always disappointed when The Internet doesn't seem interested. ^_^;
I actually found it on some forum years ago and saved it on my computer.

But wait, are you DaBubba?

Chairhome

IAmABeliver said:
Try putting "Song of Storms" into the YouTube search field. Before the dubstep remix came out, it was in the list of auto complete.

Just enjoy the video. Everyone who isn't an idiot understands that it's a bunch of black youth dancing to Zelda music while doing satirical "urban" dancing. It's a joke, and I think it's quite the funny one at that.

This PC world needs to lighten up. And in particular, you're active in a community on the Internet that gets exposed to erotic Sonic the Hedgehog fan art on the regular (whether on purpose or not). You can't seriously be offended by what I wrote.
I wasn't totally serious, which is why I put it in spoiler tags, but I was wondering why you would call it "black dance" and when its no where in the link and why it was a "mind blowing" fact. Chill.

Myriadis

DiipuSurotu said:

http://i.imgur.com/SliZl.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Now that's indeed interesting.Isn't the guy who tells the backstory and shows the map Marquis Ondore?So we really shouldn't listen to his lies...:D

[QUOTE=Dunan]
Discovering that the rune-like letters in FFT could actually be read was what got me hooked on trying to figure out all the writing systems that games use. My mind was completely blown on that day, and when I went on the internet I saw that no one else seemed to have discovered it.[...]

It was that game that made me want to read the scripts created for all kinds of other games -- FF12, FF13, Nier, Valkyria Chronicles, etc. -- and I'm always disappointed when The Internet doesn't seem interested. ^_^;[/QUOTE]
That's also really cool - I'm wondering if they use this or a similar script for FF12.I didn't pay attention to this.If there's something like this in this game,consider my mind blown.

Oh,and similar to this,the New Hylian Script,used in Twilight Princess and (I think) Wind Waker,is perfectly readable in English.
Look at the World Map:
[url=http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=oldhyruleun53.jpg][img]http://www.abload.de/thumb/oldhyruleun53.jpg[/url]
(Yes,this is the only good map I found,ignore the "earlier places theory" things.)
Can you read the "Eldin" to the left,right above death mountain,left from Hyrule Castle?Thing is,if you see something Hylian in this game,you can read it.It is a stylistic font,but it is completely in English.

Dunan

DiipuSurotu said:
I actually found it on some forum years ago and saved it on my computer.

But wait, are you DaBubba?

Diipu, you caught me! I've been on GameFAQs for well over a decade now. They never accepted the FFT Alphabet Guide I originally wrote, so the length of time between my first (FF5 translation, 1996) and second (FF13 Alphabet Guide, 2010) contributions over there must be some kind of record.

If you want that font and can't find it anywhere, I can dig through my old HD and find it. I was going to make one for FF13 also, but realized that I just didn't love the game like I loved FFT. And Nier's font already exists. I should make one for Valkyria Chronicles next.

In Valkyria Chronicles, they took the old Nordic futhark alphabet and rotated a unch of the letters, and assigned some of the letters differently since English doesn't have, for example, letters for "th" and "ng" like futhark does/did.

4999146671_74f1816334.jpg

But there's one exception. The icon for the enemy bosses, seen in the enemy canp in the northeast here:

1290814979.jpg

...is actually a correct (non-rotated) letter B in futhark.

Elder+Futhark+Icon.jpg

Did everybody know that?

jaxword

Dunan said:
Diipu, you caught me! I've been on GameFAQs for well over a decade now. They never accepted the FFT Alphabet Guide I originally wrote, so the length of time between my first (FF5 translation, 1996) and second (FF13 Alphabet Guide, 2010) contributions over there must be some kind of record.

If you want that font and can't find it anywhere, I can dig through my old HD and find it. I was going to make one for FF13 also, but realized that I just didn't love the game like I loved FFT. And Nier's font already exists. I should make one for Valkyria Chronicles next.

Did everybody know that?

Hey, I remember you from that ooooooooooold thread where the FFT board tried to decypher the writing in the intro and the stones.

Good work, keep it up.

Dunan said:
So it's you. My mind = blown. I'm W_Mark_Felt_Sr on GameFAQs by the way.

If you want that font and can't find it anywhere, I can dig through my old HD and find it.
Sure.

Top Bottom