• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Yup, good old Formula Zero.
So F-Zero is zero emissions as well? (FZ - Formla Zero, zero emission racing ran for a bit)

I always believed it stood for Zero Friction. As in, hovercrafts.
I thought the same so decided to check out the wikipedia article...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-Zero said:
The vehicles used to race in these video games are known as "F-Zero machines", which are designed to hover, rather than travel on wheels. An anti-gravity unit, known as the "G-Diffuser System", allows them to drive at high speeds, while retaining a hold of the track, located from a few inches to a foot below it.[4] However, the slip zones, also referred to as the "magnetic field block coat" in the first F-Zero game, blocks the vehicle from retaining a hold on the track
Magnets? Anyway. Apparently Arwings have more G-diffusers which is why they are more capable of flying.

Maybe the F stands for nothing like how Mario has no first name*.

*-though Nintendo insist he has no last name but can still be the Mario Brothers. Mario & Brother(s) works. Then again Doctor Mario is Dr. Mario which is forgivable due to being a culturally common mistake (dot is used for contraction like professor > prof. ;Doctor on the other hand should be D'r only nobody bothers with the ' hence Dr).

Datschge

Then again Doctor Mario is Dr. Mario which is forgivable due to being a culturally common mistake (dot is used for contraction like professor > prof. ;Doctor on the other hand should be D'r only nobody bothers with the ' hence Dr).

You talk about the British use, but Dr. is actually in widespread use and not a mistake in many places.

You talk about the British use, but Dr. is actually in widespread use and not a mistake in many places.

...including the UK.

I've no idea what Starwolf_UK is on about with this one. Apostrophes are used to indicate the omission of one more more letters (e.g. singin' for singing or don't for do not) but full stops (alright, periods to you guys) are commonly, and correctly, employed to designate abbreviations (Bros. for brothers) or titles (Dr. for doctor; Prof. for professor).

(apparently it's also OK to omit the full stop if the abbreviation uses the 1st and last letter of the full word e.g. Mr for mister)

MedHead

I've no idea what Starwolf_UK is on about with this one. Apostrophes are used to indicate the omission of one more more letters (e.g. singin' for singing or don't for do not) but full stops (alright, periods to you guys) are commonly, and correctly, employed to designate abbreviations (Bros. for brothers) or titles (Dr. for doctor; Prof. for professor).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbreviation#Periods_.28full_stops.29_and_spaces
In British English, according to Hart's Rules, the general rule is that abbreviations (in the narrow sense that includes only words with the ending, and not the middle, dropped) terminate with a full stop (period), whereas contractions (in the sense of words missing a middle part) do not.[1]:p167

Doctor, abbreviated to Dr, is a contraction. Contractions use apostrophes to indicate the omission of letters in the middle of a word. Doctor could then be written as D'r, but it is not.

JulianImp

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but here it goes:

In Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, you can find a whip called "Nebula", which the game describes as "A chain that binds and destroys evil".

The thing is, this whip is one-of-a-kind: its normal attack automatically homes in to the nearest enemy when swung, its critical strike has the chain surround you in a spiral-like manner for a little while, and its sound effects aren't used by any other weapon in the game.

Now, all that got me thinking about Andromeda Shun (a character from Saint Seya) and his Andromeda chains, and the obvious connections between them and their PoR counterpart: they both have a will of their own, are able to detect evil, have relatively similar sound effects and also use a technique which surrounds their user in order to protect them.

Ramune

In Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, you can find a whip called "Nebula", which the game describes as "A chain that binds and destroys evil".

The thing is, this whip is one-of-a-kind: its normal attack automatically homes in to the nearest enemy when swung, its critical strike has the chain surround you in a spiral-like manner for a little while, and its sound effects aren't used by any other weapon in the game.

Now, all that got me thinking about Andromeda Shun (a character from Saint Seya) and his Andromeda chains, and the obvious connections between them and their PoR counterpart: they both have a will of their own, are able to detect evil, have relatively similar sound effects and also use a technique which surrounds their user in order to protect them.

Ebismaru and this. Mind has been blown! O_O

Javier

Not just that, but Andromeda Shun also has several attacks that use the word "Nebula" (Nebula Chain, Nebula Stream and Nebula Storm).

Tiolazo

in the back alley house at Rogueport, (TTYD), there's a crime scene with blood and a toad-shaped chalk censored in the US version. This is disturbing

pmttyd_rogueport_crime_jp.jpg

pmttyd_rogueport_crime_us.jpg

thanks themushroomkingdom.net

damm i hate when that happens =/

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Pretty sure that's true. Well, maybe not those exact examples. But the part about Earthbound folk working on Pokemon.

I know Pokemon Black and White uses a version of Mother 3's Love Theme for "N's Goodbye".

RoadDogg

Pretty sure that's true. Well, maybe not those exact examples. But the part about Earthbound folk working on Pokemon.

I know Pokemon Black and White uses a version of Mother 3's Love Theme for "N's Goodbye".

Oh I know, I was weighing in on more of the "Pokemon and Mother are the same universe/timeline" side of things.

I've never noticed this about Ness' design before, but why is his shorts double the size on one side of his body? O_O

He was rocking the half tuck way before Nathan Drake.

sugarless

In Goldeneye for N64, when you die in the single-player it shows a supposed 'replay' of your death three times, but these aren't really replays. Bond's death animation is shown three times, but everything else continues in real time. Enemies continue attacking you, fire from explosions fades to smoke, etc.

Example: http://youtu.be/wfbq7O0vg7k?t=5m39s

Replay 1: enemy runs to the door and shoots standing up.
Replay 2: enemy is already at door, continues shooting.
Replay 3: enemy kneels down.

(Cross-posted from another thread as I thought it was obvious but it seems not everyone noticed.)

Something on my 3DS XL that's just blown my mind that I've never noticed.

How the screen has two "snap" positions on it, If you're at the main menu if you snap the screen to another position the cartridge/whatever you have on the top screen spins round faster temporarily and the title bounces. I have never noticed this before in all my hours of playing with it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Playing Batman: Arkham City I noticed Poison Ivy's flower store was named Baudelaire. This obviously refers to Charles Baudelaire, author of Les Fleurs du Mal (The Flowers of Evil).

Sagitario

I remember when the game was released, I though: "This can't be a coincidence, right?"
I am glad I am not the only one who noticed.

I just fired up the game, I didn't remember the special sound the game produced when closing and opening the DS (like closing and opening a coffin). Nice touch.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
This is probably old, but I'm replaying MGS3, :

mgs3-5.jpg

is voiced by Lori Alan, who also voices:

310909-pearlkrabs_super.jpg

I can't unhear it after someone told me.

Cheerilee

Its the Mario Brothers. So the last name is Mario. And then we have the first name Mario and Luigi. So Mario Mario and Luigi Mario and Wario Mario.

If "Mario" is Mario's last name, then it doesn't have to also be his first name. His first name could be unknown.

It's possible that his name is "Guido Mario" or whatever, and people just became comfortable calling him by his last name, but then when they met his brother they referred to the brother by his first name because calling them both by their last name would be too confusing.

I've actually seen this kind of scenario in real life.

ReyVGM

Miyamoto already confirmed that Mario's last name is not Mario.

He also confirmed the Koopa Kids are not Bowser's kids!

Dunan

The Japanese put last name and then first name...that probably alters how Mario's name goes.

In Japanese it's acceptable to use (given name + 兄弟 (brothers) or 姉妹 (sisters)) to mean "given name and his/her brother/sister". "Mario Brothers" just means "two brothers, one of whom is Mario".

jaxword

In Japanese it's acceptable to use (given name + 兄弟 (brothers) or 姉妹 (sisters)) to mean "given name and his/her brother/sister". "Mario Brothers" just means "two brothers, one of whom is Mario".

Seems like the best explanation to me!

you know those japanese mythical creatures called Kappas?
images

they were the inspiration behind the Koopas

Koopa_Troopa_3D_Land.png

Is that confirmed or just speculation? They're not actually called 'Koopas' in Japan, they're called Nokonokos because of the sound that's made when kicking their shell. Just like how Goombas are called 'Kuribo' because they're supposed to be chestnuts.

Besides, there was already a Mario universe version of the kappa, one of the kings was turned into one in Mario 3.

SMB3_MushroomKing.jpg

Doesn't really look anything like a Koopa Troopa.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
He also said that Mickey Mouse doesn't have a last name, in that same interview.

Mickey. Mouse.

Miyamoto doesn't know shit.
If it was an interview translated from Japanese, that would explain the Mickey mistake, since it's just "Mickey" (no Mouse) in Japanese.

Esiquio

Anyone try holding down Z or anything like that when booting up the Wii U? I liked the cool things the GameCube would do when one or four controllers held down Z when booting up.

Just like how Goombas are called 'Kuribo' because they're supposed to be chestnuts.
Wait, is it true they're supposed to be chestnuts? If so that's mindblowing because I never knew what they were supposed to be after all of these years.

Top Bottom