• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Wait, is it true they're supposed to be chestnuts? If so that's mindblowing because I never knew what they were supposed to be after all of these years.

Goombas are Shiitake mushrooms, according to one of the Iwata Asks articles... although their name does mean something like Chestnut Boy.

Rubius

That's why Mario's last name is Super. ;)

Mario and Luigi are brothers. If Luigi is the first name, then Mario is the first name.
Then they both have the same last name. And since the name of the game is the Mario Brothers, well the last name is Mario.

Rubius

Not really though.

The game is called The Mario Brothers. We have an individual called Mario and one called Luigi. So either the name of the game is wrong, or Mario is not called Mario, which would make Luigi not his brother, since his Last name would be also Luigi.

Roto13

The game is called The Mario Brothers. We have an individual called Mario and one called Luigi. So either the name of the game is wrong, or Mario is not called Mario, which would make Luigi not his brother, since his Last name would be also Luigi.

Or option 3: No. Stop. Read the last few posts. Also stop.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mario Jump Man and Luigi Jump Man.

Though Mario was originally going to be called Mr. Video so I guess technically that's the closest to a surname he's had. So it's really Mario Video and Luigi Video.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Is that confirmed or just speculation? They're not actually called 'Koopas' in Japan, they're called Nokonokos because of the sound that's made when kicking their shell. Just like how Goombas are called 'Kuribo' because they're supposed to be chestnuts.

Besides, there was already a Mario universe version of the kappa, one of the kings was turned into one in Mario 3.

SMB3_MushroomKing.jpg

Doesn't really look anything like a Koopa Troopa.

Sounds more like speculation than anything, I could be wrong. But, there is a Kappa reference in SMW.

Akci8.png

Kappa Mountain is the name of the little lake you go in on your way to the yellow switch palace. The name was dropped in the Western versions of the game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
you know those japanese mythical creatures called Kappas?
images

they were the inspiration behind the Koopas

Koopa_Troopa_3D_Land.png

Not really. It's a common misconception.

It's from "kuppa" which is a food (I think Korean or Indian, I forgot).

Also koopas lack the definite distinction of being a kappa - the water dish on its head (see, Kappa Mountain in the image above - that water dish). A kappa actually looked more like a lizard man wearing a shell than an actual turtle.

Or option 3: No. Stop. Read the last few posts. Also stop.

Look, I get it that "Super Mario Brothers" was originally just wacky engrish. But Nintendo can't get away with wacky engrish these days--there has to be an explanation for why they are called the "Mario" brothers. And the "fanon" idea that its their last name is so widespread that it basically is canon, much as Vivian from PMTTYD is a girl because she's only a guy in one country. Also, why do people treat Miyamoto's word as law when he's far less involved in the series nowadays? Takashi Tezuka played just as big a role in the development of the series and now he heads up the New Super Mario Bros. games.

web01

miknein

Banned
Look, I get it that "Super Mario Brothers" was originally just wacky engrish. But Nintendo can't get away with wacky engrish these days--there has to be an explanation for why they are called the "Mario" brothers. And the "fanon" idea that its their last name is so widespread that it basically is canon, much as Vivian from PMTTYD is a girl because she's only a guy in one country. Also, why do people treat Miyamoto's word as law when he's far less involved in the series nowadays? Takashi Tezuka played just as big a role in the development of the series and now he heads up the New Super Mario Bros. games.

Haha you really want to be right, don't you? Nothing's gonna stop you now, right?

Roto13

Christ.

Haha you really want to be right, don't you? Nothing's gonna stop you now, right?

I basically just don't give a shit what Miyamoto says about Mario anymore, and I don't think anyone should. He once said Goombas were chestnuts. Takashi Tezuka says they are Shiitake mushrooms. Guess who 99% of the world agrees with. Same thing with the Koopa Kids debacle a few months ago; people seemed shocked, but everyone is just going to go back to viewing the Koopalings as Bowser's children anyway, so does what Miyamoto say still automatically become canon no matter what? I think there are far too many people involved with the Mario series, people more aware of widespread notions such as "Goomba = mushroom" and "Koopalings = Bowser's kids", to just let Miyamoto's word be the end of any discussion.

Muhammad.

This isn't so much "mindblowing" as it is finally proof of something I've always suspected while I was younger but never had any way to be sure of.

GTA3 recycles a sound effect from Dungeon Keeper. It's a really distinct noise the Dark Mistresses make in the Torture Chambers, and it's used in GTA3 whenever shit gets crazy with explosions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW9w8ShHvfA at 0:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqUiHwjEwc0 at 1:28

I think this is some generic sound effect, I'm sure I've heard this in cartoons and movies before.

TheOGB

Banned
...No, there really doesn't.

I mean yeah, fan speculation is great fun and whatnot, but... There really doesn't need to be explanations for everything. Really. :/

If "Mario" is Mario's last name, then it doesn't have to also be his first name. His first name could be unknown.

It's possible that his name is "Guido Mario" or whatever, and people just became comfortable calling him by his last name, but then when they met his brother they referred to the brother by his first name because calling them both by their last name would be too confusing.

I've actually seen this kind of scenario in real life.
I have a buddy who goes by his last name. He has two younger brothers who also go by their last name.

karobit

I literally cannot imagine a world in which anyone gives a genuine shit.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Maybe I'm just crazy. But I have owned Star Fox, the original SNES game, for 20 years, and I just now, literally just now realized that the Arwing model the game uses for the title screen...

ivn0gS1kslKxg.png

And the control test screen...
iyD0LU6UOtvIp.png

Is not the same model used in-game...
ibj6UwG3e5ycDz.png

It's a higher polygon count model. I feel so silly that I never really realized that until now. The model in-game seems so light when you compare it to its full detail counterpart.

Rubius

I basically just don't give a shit what Miyamoto says about Mario anymore, and I don't think anyone should. He once said Goombas were chestnuts. Takashi Tezuka says they are Shiitake mushrooms. Guess who 99% of the world agrees with. Same thing with the Koopa Kids debacle a few months ago; people seemed shocked, but everyone is just going to go back to viewing the Koopalings as Bowser's children anyway, so does what Miyamoto say still automatically become canon no matter what? I think there are far too many people involved with the Mario series, people more aware of widespread notions such as "Goomba = mushroom" and "Koopalings = Bowser's kids", to just let Miyamoto's word be the end of any discussion.
He is the creator. If Joss Whedon would go and tell that Buffy father was a mummy, we would take its word for it.
Our opinion do not matter in that, he make the stuff, its the truth. If I were to write a book, would you contradict me about what X character name is?

...No, there really doesn't.

I mean yeah, fan speculation is great fun and whatnot, but... There really doesn't need to be explanations for everything. Really. :/
A lot of people were angry at the people who said that Zelda have a timeline. People said "Nah, there is no timeline, its a new adventure everytime, you guys are just crazy." And bam. We get a book who says there is a Timeline and a 3 way split.
Fan Speculate because there is something to speculate about.

I think I found it guys. The last name is Brothers.
"Last name: Brothers
This very interesting surname found recorded as Brother, or the patronymic, Brothers, and in Cornwall, at least it was originally 'Brethers', may not be what it seems. From the 13th century onwards it is generally accepted to be a 'Guild' surname, and as such may be said to be a medieval predecessor of the term 'Brother' as applied to a member of certain associations and unions. The earliest recordings of the name may be personal endearment names or occupational, and as such several examples are recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book. Taken at random these include 'Broder of Stafford' and 'Brodre of Devon', but whether they describe a member of the church, or something quite different, is not clear. Other early examples include Willelmus filius Brother, in the 1202 Assize Rolls of Lincoln, and this is quite clear that 'Brother' was the father of Willelmus (!), although Nicholas Le Bruthre in the 1279 Assize Rolls of Somerset, would certainly seem to point to some occupation. Later examples taken from early church registers after the 1535 'Reformation', include Thomas Brothers, who married Elizaeth Brewett at St Giles Cripplegate, London, on August 4th 1583, Humfry Brethers, who married Margaret Hicks, at Bodmin, Cornwall, on June 27th 1594, and John Brother, who married Dorrythy Marshall at the church of St Nicholas Acons, London, on February 28th 1632. The coat of arms associated with the surname has the blazon of per pale red and black, on a fesse between three griffins heads erased in gold, as many ermine lozenges. The crest is a demi black greyhound holding a red dart. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of John Brother, which was dated 1272, the Ancient Deeds roll of the county of Middlesex, during the reign of King Henry 111, known as 'The Frenchman', 1216 - 1272. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Read more: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Brothers#ixzz2DatgFKZ2"

Bulzeeb

Only one on this page.

Mario's last name is serious business lol

Ive never realized that F-Zero is so fast, that its faster than Formula 1, which makes it Formula 0.

Am i the only one

I always thought that was common knowledge, on the other hand I am a huge fan of the F-zero games so I guess I can understand that

I think I found it guys. The last name is Brothers.
"Last name: Brothers ..."

as stated before, I've always been a supporter of that theory :p

I basically just don't give a shit what Miyamoto says about Mario anymore, and I don't think anyone should. He once said Goombas were chestnuts. Takashi Tezuka says they are Shiitake mushrooms. Guess who 99% of the world agrees with.

Goombas are called Kuribos (chestnut people) in Japanese. Literally right in their name.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Maybe I'm just crazy. But I have owned Star Fox, the original SNES game, for 20 years, and I just now, literally just now realized that the Arwing model the game uses for the title screen...

ivn0gS1kslKxg.png

And the control test screen...
iyD0LU6UOtvIp.png

Is not the same model used in-game...
ibj6UwG3e5ycDz.png

It's a higher polygon count model. I feel so silly that I never really realized that until now. The model in-game seems so light when you compare it to its full detail counterpart.

I think I thought it looked different when I was younger, but didn't understand why. Great find!

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Mario Cannon is serious business.

What about Prince Peach? How come no one ever mentions him? The worst part is they totally could have made him up for New Super Mario Bros.

There is a prince in the Mario Universe, Prince Haru of the Flower Kingdom, Peach even is betrothed to him. But then again, it's just a game and everything resets if need be. Also, he is never seen again. Oh well!

nx9Vj.png

Maybe this Flower Kingdom turned into Sarsaland, with a Princess Daisy. The movie he was in came out only in Japan in 1986. Also another fun fact about it is that this is the only time Peach is shown in a romantic light with someone other than Mario
don't you jerks bring up the ending to any of the SMB games as Luigi

ReyVGM

I basically just don't give a shit what Miyamoto says about Mario anymore, and I don't think anyone should. Same thing with the Koopa Kids debacle a few months ago; people seemed shocked, but everyone is just going to go back to viewing the Koopalings as Bowser's children anyway, so does what Miyamoto say still automatically become canon no matter what?

To Miyamoto's defense, the games never said the Koopalings were Bowser's children, only the Japanese instruction booklet and comics said so, and as you know, those aren't written by the team that created the game.

Rubius

Dont know if its posted but :
Sony controller buttons is going from 1 to 4. By the number of lines in them.
O = 1
X = 2
Triangle = 3
Square = 4

Top Bottom