• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm surprised there's no joke about

DEINO
ZWEILOUS
HYDREIGON
MENTAL FACULTIES SHATTERED!

(Get it, because German implies hi-class than generic Spanish!)

Dont know if its posted but :
Sony controller buttons is going from 1 to 4. By the number of lines in them.
O = 1
X = 2
Triangle = 3
Square = 4
I'm still stupefied at US and EU's decision of switching O and X's function.

cacildo

tumblr_mdasvlKCHF1rkklnwo1_500.png

wow mind blown cant believe that one i never knew

ReyVGM

Dont know if its posted but :
Sony controller buttons is going from 1 to 4. By the number of lines in them.
O = 1
X = 2
Triangle = 3
Square = 4

If the zero is only one line, then the triangle and the square are also one line. They might have 3-4 sides, but they are still one line.

Koren

I'm still stupefied at US and EU's decision of switching O and X's function.
- most awful decision ever

- even worse if you own a japanese console and an EU game: when you save, you use X ingame to chose "save", then O to confirm the slot (since it's an OS function), then X to quit the OS saving function, then O to leave the menu in the game. Aaaaaargh... And it's not even configurable in the OS.

- some games uses buttons like directions. Guess what? X and O are sometimes swapped. Minna no Golf use O to select club, O to hit, O for normal shot, X (down) for "less power", triangle (up) for "more power". Westerne version use X for club selection and hit, so O for "less power" and triangle for "more power". It's absolutely counter-intuituive, especially when you're accustomed to the original game.

Grrr...

Replace "lines" with "sides" and you are set.

Circles and Xs don't have any sides. Or the X has like 12.

It's still a coincidence, though.

- most awful decision ever

- even worse if you own a japanese console and an EU game: when you save, you use X ingame to chose "save", then O to confirm the slot (since it's an OS function), then X to quit the OS saving function, then O to leave the menu in the game. Aaaaaargh... And it's not even configurable in the OS.

- some games uses buttons like directions. Guess what? X and O are sometimes swapped. Minna no Golf use O to select club, O to hit, O for normal shot, X (down) for "less power", triangle (up) for "more power". Westerne version use X for club selection and hit, so O for "less power" and triangle for "more power". It's absolutely counter-intuituive, especially when you're accustomed to the original game.

Grrr...

The US version of Final Fantasy VII is horrible because of X/O inconsistencies. At one point it tells you to press O when you're supposed to press X, or something

RagnarokX

Replace "lines" with "sides" and you are set.

Nah, because X isn't a polygon. Lines is correct (line segments). Just because line segments intersect and end at the same points does not make them the same line.

----

Also, Mario takes more of a Mickey Mouse approach to plot. The characters are essentially actors. Plot and setting and even roles change as needed.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Circles and Xs don't have any sides. Or the X has like 12.

It's still a coincidence, though.

The US version of Final Fantasy VII is horrible because of X/O inconsistencies. At one point it tells you to press O when you're supposed to press X, or something

A circle has two sides, in and out.

Is it possible that Foreman Spike was once supposed to be the character of Waluigi?

10445a43b63dfaea9d86168fc58ca0e4-d3jeuhr.png

To start with back in 1985, Foreman Spike made his original debut in Wrecking Crew for the NES. He was what most would interpret as the main villain of the title, as there was no sign of either Bowser of Donkey Kong within the title. His appearance was somewhat similar to that of Mario, except he had a bushy beard and what appears to be a hooked nose.

vi72y.png
foreman_spike.jpg

Moving forward to the development of Super Mario Land 2, Nintendo obviously wanted to bring a new villain to the title, specifically an evil brother. Looking back at the catalogue of previously created characters, from a far away view, Foreman Spike would be able to fit this build pretty well, considering the character design was already strikingly similar to that of Mario and Luigi. But the development team expressed distaste to the idea of relying on prior character creations within the original Super Mario Land and wanted to make their own, hence Spike was left on the cutting floor and Wario was born.

sml2.gif

Years pass until the revival of the Wrecking Crew franchise with the release of Wrecking Crew 98 for SNES in Japan. This title sees the return of Foreman Spike with a redesigned look, with a much thinner moustache, no beard at all, and a slimmer build. Oddly enough he almost looks like a character that would come out of the WarioWare franchise.

ForemanSpike_kidicarus222.jpg

During this time Camelot was also developing a number of titles, which included Mario Tennis for Nintendo 64. Prior to this title Camelot had a history for including original, new, characters within their Nintendo themed games, such as Plum, Charlie, and Harry in Mario Golf for N64 and GBC.

Plum.jpg
Charlie.png
Harry.jpg

It's likely that initial development of Mario Tennis originally had this idea as well, to include original Camelot characters aside Mario characters from the beginning. For whatever reason this was changed, probably due to the large back catalog of Mario characters, it made no sense to resort to making new no-namers. And thus Mario Tennis became the first Mario spinoff title to really include characters within the series that had been missing for years. If you think about it, Mario Golf and Mario Kart traditionally had very staple, mainstay franchise characters (with the exception of maybe Baby Mario).

Camelot needed to fill the roster lineup, and clearly wanted to include characters who would be very foreign to gamers, yet a pleasant surprise to those who remembered. Hence the inclusion of characters like Birdo, and Princess Daisy. Yet the one odd character out, was the creation of Waluigi, who made his debut in Mario Tennis for N64. What likely happened is that Camelot wanted to use Foreman Spike in Mario Tennis using his revamped design from Wrecking Crew 98, but due to his extreme obscurity of not seeing a Western appearance since 1985, Nintendo said to cut him out or retool the character (as it was probably seen his lanky, swift moving character was unmatched by other players and should stay in). Thus Waluigi was created, yet retaining many of the qualities of the new Foreman Spike design.

WaluigiTennis64.gif

Further proof of this is the fact that during or after this development of Mario Tennis wrapped up, Camelot was also designing Mobile Golf for Game Boy Color. A fairly obscure, Japan only title, that was developed to be compatible with the mobile adapter which would allow for online play through cellular data.

MobileGolfBoxart.gif

The title featured a mostly Camelot specific cast, with a few appearances of Mario characters such as Mario, Peach, Yoshi.... and Foreman Spike. Not only is he a completely random character to include, but Camelot also changed the design of the character to match the colors of Waluigi.

Foremanspike.jpg
125px-Waluigi_emblem.svg.png

Furthermore there is other connections to Waluigi and his Foreman Spike background in other Mario titles such as,

- Waluigi drives a crane in Mario Kart DS.

Per_waluigi.jpg

- Waluigi's special in Mario Superstar Baseball is the Whiskered Eggplant. The Eggplant man was the other main villain within the Wrecking Crew series

180px-MSB_WarioPalace.jpg
Eggplantman.gif

- Waluigi's Island in Mario Party 3 is heavily influenced on industrial design (such as construction work).

19858-108897-WaluigiIslandjpg-468x.jpg

- In Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix, the song that represents Waluigi is the Destruction Dance, which is a remix of a Wrecking Crew title.

Sorry for the long post, and maybe most of this is known, but I did not know a lot about the details behind it.

Roto13

Moving forward to the development of Super Mario Land 2, Nintendo obviously wanted to bring a new villain to the title, specifically an evil brother. Looking back at the catalogue of previously created characters, from a far away view, Foreman Spike would be able to fit this build pretty well, considering the character design was already strikingly similar to that of Mario and Luigi. But the development team expressed distaste to the idea of relying on prior character creations within the original Super Mario Land and wanted to make their own, hence Spike was left on the cutting floor and Wario was born.
It's likely that initial development of Mario Tennis originally had this idea as well, to include original Camelot characters aside Mario characters from the beginning. For whatever reason this was changed, probably due to the large back catalog of Mario characters, it made no sense to resort to making new no-namers. And thus Mario Tennis became the first Mario spinoff title to really include characters within the series that had been missing for years. If you think about it, Mario Golf and Mario Kart traditionally had very staple, mainstay franchise characters (with the exception of maybe Baby Mario).

Camelot needed to fill the roster lineup, and clearly wanted to include characters who would be very foreign to gamers, yet a pleasant surprise to those who remembered. Hence the inclusion of characters like Birdo, and Princess Daisy. Yet the one odd character out, was the creation of Waluigi, who made his debut in Mario Tennis for N64. What likely happened is that Camelot wanted to use Foreman Spike in Mario Tennis using his revamped design from Wrecking Crew 98, but due to his extreme obscurity of not seeing a Western appearance since 1985, Nintendo said to cut him out or retool the character (as it was probably seen his lanky, swift moving character was unmatched by other players and should stay in). Thus Waluigi was created, yet retaining many of the qualities of the new Foreman Spike design.

[citation needed]

[citation needed]

http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=319

Discusses R&D1 teams lack of passion for already created characters, as the team was reduced and taken the backseat to other Nintendo studios focused on SNES, and their inability to replicate such success on limited hardware. Thus wanting to create a new character of their own, and leading to the end of the Super Mario Land games and the extension to their own Wario Land franchise. Also keep in mind that it was R&D1 that had developed Wrecking Crew.

As for the second part, you're right that it's speculation, but a lot of things point to that being the case. Why would both Mario Golf for N64 and GBC include original characters from the beginning and not Mario Tennis? Why would Waluigi be the only new character in Mario Tennis? Why would Foreman Spike be featured in Mobile Golf and why would he be redesigned to look similar to Waluigi?

Mike M

Nick N
Whole lot of speculation there, but there appears to be something to it at first blush, though I'd wager Waluigi is an homage rather than originally intended to be some other character.

Good contribution regardless.

Mista Koo

I'm surprised there's no joke about

DEINO
ZWEILOUS
HYDREIGON
MENTAL FACULTIES SHATTERED!
Earthbound:
  • Onett
  • Twoson
  • Threed
  • Fourside

Time Hollow:
  • Irving Onegin
  • Jack Twombly
  • Vin Threet
  • Ben Fourier
  • Morris Fivet
  • Eva Sixon
  • Aaron Seven
  • Olivia Eights
  • Emily Niner
  • Sara Tenneson
  • Jacob Eleven
  • Kori Twelves

Boss Doggie

Didn't even Sega utilize the rightmost button for confirms?

I'm still baffled really. Even Nintendo outside Japan kept the rightmost button as confirm.

Earthbound:
  • Onett
  • Twoson
  • Threed
  • Fourside

Time Hollow:
  • Irving Onegin
  • Jack Twombly
  • Vin Threet
  • Ben Fourier
  • Morris Fivet
  • Eva Sixon
  • Aaron Seven
  • Olivia Eights
  • Emily Niner
  • Sara Tenneson
  • Jacob Eleven
  • Kori Twelves

The joke is that the Gen 1 version is for uncultured swines

Rufus

Yeah Spanish isn't as "sophisticated" as German. :p
You realize that you could insert anything for "sophisticated" because there's no basis for the assumption beyond your own opinion? (Unless someone from the localization team specifically said that...)

But hey, I'm German, so I'm probably talking down to you. edit: Also, kind of an ass, I realize now, but I'll leave it as it is...

cacildo

One thing that always made me curious

Snes. Turtles in Time. Select options. Select sound test. Search for the "Staff"music. Start listening the music and at any time press "Y". The music will change to an alternate version of it.

I discovered it when i was, like, 10.

My question is: why? What da hell was that???

Boss Doggie

You realize that you could insert anything for "sophisticated" because there's no basis for the assumption beyond your own opinion? (Unless someone from the localization team specifically said that...)
That's incredibly "racist". I am "offended" with that comment :p

Nah, was just going by the idea that german words are more exotic than spanish. Isn't it like German > French > Spanish in exoticness?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The upside down L on Waluigi's hat isn't meant to be a L, it's actually the greek capital letter for "gamma".

fisheyes

Is it possible that Foreman Spike was once supposed to be the character of Waluigi?

Foreman Spike is to the Wario Bros what Stanley the Bugman from Donkey Kong 3 is to the Mario Bros. When Nintendo has a game where they need 3 player groups they will be brought back as cousins or something.

Forkball

The Waluigi thing is great. I thought they just wanted Wario to have a doubles partner, it's cool to see his possible inspiration. I know a lot of people hate him, but I would love for Waluigi to appear in a non-party/sports game (though him only appearing in those types of games is kind of amusing as well).

Uh... I'm supposed to post a fact, right? Did you know Aerith was called Aeris in the original translation of FFVII? Of course you do, but ten years from now kids won't. Hold on to this cherished fact!

jaxword

Uh... I'm supposed to post a fact, right? Did you know Aerith was called Aeris in the original translation of FFVII? Of course you do, but ten years from now kids won't. Hold on to this cherished fact!

They will know it, simply because of the obsessive fanboys who will go out of their ways to let everyone know the name they grew up on is the best name.

I guarantee this will happen.

And the reason I can guarantee it is because those same FF fans do the same thing now, endlessly repeating about how things were better 18 years ago.

Mista Koo

Let's not forget Mario DDR.

Waluigi's theme/challenge was 'Destruction Dance', a remix of the Wrecking Crew theme and his gimmick was bombs on the dance arrows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wPcDIK6caY

In free-play mode Waluigi is on the Destruction Dance title card. -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovA5DAmVImo

EDIT: Oh, you added that at the end.
Also his special pitch in Superstar Baseball supposedly included a whiskered eggplant.
As for the Bob-ombs they were his and Wario's special item in Double Dash and they both used a Bob-omb launcher in Power Tennis intro.

On another note those dances at the end should be GIFed, they perfectly suit him.

Top Bottom