• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Lettuce

The Nightmare Imp that appeared in PSX DOOM that never was......

i5X7996hirnYK.jpg

Lettuce

Well they were in the PSX review copies but for some reason got removed for the retail release. I remember spending ages on that very level pictured (i somehow knew what DooM2 map that was) trying to find the nightmare IMP as i competed the game and didnt see a single one!!. Only to find out years later it was removed :(

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They decided to spend their vacation in a better Doom game.

Oh snap! I keed. I keed. But not really. Doom 64 is awesome. Even today. So much new stuff was done in that game that Doom had never done before.

BHZ Mayor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2OWC5Hosv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYxlqTpZ-24

http://www.sonicretro.org/2013/11/even-more-sonic-3-music-details-emerge/

Top comment of the first video:
For those listening to this and going "Oh man this is Icecap Zone", a little research brings up that Brad Buxer was the Keyboardist and then later went to work on Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (One assumes along with the uncredited Michael Jackson as he was MJ's music director). So there's your connection between this and Sonic ;P

And that probably explains why Ice Cap's music is replaced in the PC port. Not sure how no one managed to point this out (not even Pop Fiction seemed to catch this) considering the video of the original song was posted in 2009.

Ouroboros

That people can misspell game and franchise names even after multiple entries and years. Examples:

1)People typing "Megaman" instead of "Mega Man"
2)People typing "Starfox" instead of "Star Fox"
3)People typing "Sim City" instead of "SimCity"
4)People typing "X-Box" or "XBox" instead of "Xbox"

and the one that bugs me the most:
5)People typing "Wiimote" or "Wii-mote" instead of "Wii Remote"

Ipod. Iphone. i-phone.

dammit people, its iPod, iPhone, iPad. GET IT TOGETHER!

Mercutio

About the NES cartridges working without pushing them down:

I've repaired quite a few NES's by replacing the 72-pin connector, or just squeezing the pins on the original one, and I still have 2 working NES's to this day. I promise you, trying to play an NES game without pushing it down does NOT work 99.9% of the time. And it doesn't get more likely if the NES is really old, either. It gets less likely. Old NES's eventually stop working entirely, they don't improve with age.

On a brand-new NES, or a newly repaired one, yes, you may be able to play the game without pushing it down. But ONLY if the connector is really tight, and the downside is that you may have a tough time inserting the game in the first place.

But that doesn't last. Even if you never press a game down, just changing games will loosen the connection enough to make it stop working, and it doesn't take long.

I don't know what's going on in that video, but it's...let's generously say "extremely unlikely" that an NES would magically work like that.

By the way, the single most reliable method of making an NES work without any fiddling is to get a Game Genie, put it in and just leave it there. It maintains a reliable connection better than a game does, because its board is wider, and it also is tougher to remove for the same reason. So it's easy to connect/disconnect the games to it, instead of the NES, and you should never see that blinking light again.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wish top loaders didn't need to be modded in order to get composite video out. I'd rather get one of those. I got all my old NES and SNES games out of storage, but now I need to get an NES and SNES to play them on. I'd rather have composite if I can't get S-Video.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is shit like STAR FOX HAS LEG PROSTHETIC and LOOKER IS A DOCTOR still a thing? I swear if it's not 4chan, it's either tumblr or reddit spreading crap like that.

KHlover

Banned
Is shit like STAR FOX HAS LEG PROSTHETIC and LOOKER IS A DOCTOR still a thing? I swear if it's not 4chan, it's either tumblr or reddit spreading crap like that.
But he has? Maybe it has been retconned by now, but we've definitely seen him with prosthetic legs before.

Boss Doggie

But he has? Maybe it has been retconned by now, but we've definitely seen him with prosthetic legs before.
Yep. Right on the front cover of STARFOX/STARWING SNES.

The SNES cover only goes up to their waist. As said before, they were used to make the mannequins stand. 64 of course copied SNES design. It wasn't until Adventures where they actually cared about the character design.

The whole G-force shit falls apart when the vehicles are designed to withstand stuff like that in the first place.

KHlover

Banned
The SNES cover only goes up to their waist. As said before, they were used to make the mannequins stand. 64 of course copied SNES design. It wasn't until Adventures where they actually cared about the character design.

The whole G-force shit falls apart when the vehicles are designed to withstand stuff like that in the first place.
Was that also explained in Adventures? If yes I'll file this under "retconned", if not I'll agree with your explanation.

peronmls

Wow. I just figured this out today.

So I was listening to Sephiroths SFX from Kingdom Hearts 1. I noticed one sound effect that I recognized. It's when he uses Heartless Angel.
http://youtu.be/VqpgCLzKcBo?t=24s (That vocal SFX)

That sound effect comes from a public Sampling CD called Ambient Vol 1 by Zero G who creates sounds and they made that particular sound that the sound design team used.

That vocal SFX sample is called "Zero 2". That vocal is saying "Zero" but at a higher pitch and what Heartless angle does is takes you HP and MP to 0. Its hard to tell because the sample is so compressed do too PS2 limitation.

I just thought this was something cool and creative from the Sound Design team.

Doczu

Just for the awesomness i believe in the theory that they had their little animal legs chopped off so that they can fly in their little airwings and blow shit up. Because nothing is better than some dark shit. In a Nintendo game. With animals. And starships.

ЯAW

Banned
imagexmsbp.jpg

So, David Byrne had cameo in Neuromancer. I played the game back in the day, but I didn't know who the hell David Byrne was never made a connection. Pretty awesome.

Edit. I'm not sure if Byrne's image was used in the final Neuromancer game. Can somebody confirm yes or no? Or maybe I should give the old Neuromancer replay :b

Edit. No: An image of David Byrne in Neuromancer Mind Movie, an unrealized video game project based on the William Gibson novel “Neuromancer.”

Rich!

So, you all know the Sandcastle in Banjo Kazooie right? And that there's a whole list of hidden cheat codes for it, which allow you to gain infinite items and unlock the hidden eggs and ice key? All awesome, and safe to use.

Well, some new codes were discovered which allow you to unlock note doors, levels and events in Gruntilda's Lair. RARE obviously didn't want you to use these cheats.

Enter in one and you'll be fine. Enter in another and a text box from Gruntilda will appear warning you not to enter in more cheats or she will erase your game save. Enter in a third cheat and you'll get a final warning from Bottles asking if you're sure. Click yes, and Grunty appears again, telling you “Now I will erase your Game Pak, because you had the need to hack!”

All seems well until when you restart the game and you find your save file is gone. I tested this earlier on a save I didn't care about. scary fucking stuff.

Peagles

So, you all know the Sandcastle in Banjo Kazooie right? And that there's a whole list of hidden cheat codes for it, which allow you to gain infinite items and unlock the hidden eggs and ice key? All awesome, and safe to use.

Well, some new codes were discovered which allow you to unlock note doors, levels and events in Gruntilda's Lair. RARE obviously didn't want you to use these cheats.

Enter in one and you'll be fine. Enter in another and a text box from Gruntilda will appear warning you not to enter in more cheats or she will erase your game save. Enter in a third cheat and you'll get a final warning from Bottles asking if you're sure. Click yes, and Grunty appears again, telling you “Now I will erase your Game Pak, because you had the need to hack!”

All seems well until when you restart the game and you find your save file is gone. I tested this earlier on a save I didn't care about. scary fucking stuff.

This game just keeps on giving. I think I always neglect giving it a spot in my top games of all time but it really is truly wonderful.

Rich!

This game just keeps on giving. I think I always neglect giving it a spot in my top games of all time but it really is truly wonderful.

what's hilarious is that at the beginning of the game, if you find bottles at the top of spiral mountain you can pester him enough that he'll threaten to wipe your game.

but he never goes through with it, he only tricks you.

RARE knew that this would lull the player into a false sense of security, so when Grunty threatens, even though it's gruntilda, there's bound to be a few players who fall for it and lose their 40+ hour save.

Peagles

what's hilarious is that at the beginning of the game, if you find bottles at the top of spiral mountain you can pester him enough that he'll threaten to wipe your game.

but he never goes through with it, he only tricks you.

RARE knew that this would lull the player into a false sense of security, so when Grunty threatens, even though it's gruntilda, there's bound to be a few players who fall for it and lose their 40+ hour save.

Ahahaha I remember doing that for fun. Bottles is hilarious! There's just so much neat stuff in that game. Now I really want to play it again (I should find an American copy so I can play on my new RGB N64)!

Our original save file was over 200 hours...

Rich!

Ahahaha I remember doing that for fun. Bottles is hilarious! There's just so much neat stuff in that game. Now I really want to play it again (I should find an American copy so I can play on my new RGB N64)!

Our original save file was over 200 hours...

I'm playing through it now. I've so far 100%'d every world up to Gobi's Desert, so I'm almost there. I literally jump into a level and blast through everything in one go before jumping to the next.

I attempted to play Banjo Tooie earlier. So, so fucking disappointing. It's virtually unplayable. Sub 10fps through the first world. Way too ambitious for it's time. Of course, the XBLA 360 port is amazing and fixes everything, but I don't have a 360 anymore...

Peagles

I'm playing through it now. I've so far 100%'d every world up to Gobi's Desert, so I'm almost there. I literally jump into a level and blast through everything in one go before jumping to the next.

I attempted to play Banjo Tooie earlier. So, so fucking disappointing. It's virtually unplayable. Sub 10fps through the first world. Way too ambitious for it's time. Of course, the XBLA 360 port is amazing and fixes everything, but I don't have a 360 anymore...

It's such a bat-shit-crazy-amazing game, have fun!

I haven't been back to replay Tooie, and we definitely spent less time on it than Kazooie. I think it was at the stage where my brother was still at primary school and I was moving into college and needed to study more, so I didn't get as absorbed as I did with Kazooie.

I wonder if overclocking the N64 is an option at all... I still have a 360 but it barely gets turned on.

Kolma

That people can misspell game and franchise names even after multiple entries and years. Examples:

4)People typing "X-Box" or "XBox" instead of "Xbox"

and the one that bugs me the most:
5)People typing "Wiimote" or "Wii-mote" instead of "Wii Remote"
I still link people to http://www.weemote.com/ when they say WiiMote

Rich!

It's such a bat-shit-crazy-amazing game, have fun!

I haven't been back to replay Tooie, and we definitely spent less time on it than Kazooie. I think it was at the stage where my brother was still at primary school and I was moving into college and needed to study more, so I didn't get as absorbed as I did with Kazooie.

I wonder if overclocking the N64 is an option at all... I still have a 360 but it barely gets turned on.

Believe me, playing Banjo Tooie on the N64 whilst you have a 360 is absolutely insane.

The XBLA arcade version is in 1080p widescreen, locked 30fps framerate, proper dual analog controls for the FPS sections, online leaderboards, a fully working Stop N Swop (linked with BK XBLA), and it's only around £5/$5.

the n64 version has none of that, horrendous IQ and a sub 15fps framerate.

Peagles

Believe me, playing Banjo Tooie on the N64 whilst you have a 360 is absolutely insane.

The XBLA arcade version is in 1080p widescreen, locked 30fps framerate, proper dual analog controls for the FPS sections, online leaderboards, a fully working Stop N Swop (linked with BK XBLA), and it's only around £5/$5.

the n64 version has none of that, horrendous IQ and a sub 15fps framerate.

It's double the price here in New Zealand :( Costs the same as Nuts and Bolts to download believe it or not :( $40 just seems a bit steep for games I already spent $150 each on back in the day, argh...

Maybe if a good sale comes along I'll bite on XBLA.

Rich!

It's double the price here in New Zealand :( Costs the same as Nuts and Bolts to download believe it or not :( $40 just seems a bit steep for games I already spent $150 each on back in the day, argh...

Maybe if a good sale comes along I'll bite on XBLA.

holy fuck, is that really what the 1200pts converted to after the change? It's £9.99 here, which is the equivalent of $20 NZD. so, double.

you guys get ripped off big time

Peagles

holy fuck, is that really what the 1200pts converted to after the change? It's £9.99 here, which is the equivalent of $20 NZD. so, double.

you guys get ripped off big time

Each game is $19.75, can't remember how many points that used to be. I always held off thinking they'd get cheaper. When you said $5/£5 I got excited, I should have known better lol.

Maybe I could play BK on N64 in RGB and save BT for XBLA...

Anyway I digress, I keep leaking retro and RGB goodness into all the other threads hehe.

Rich!

Yeah well this is my last post on it here lol

Some games look shit regardless whether it's an RGB'd N64 or not. Majora's Mask looks like shit due to the low resolution. Banjo Tooie looks like shit. Turok looks...lolololol

Simple games look striking/amazing. Mario 64/kart/tennis/party/golf, Banjo Kazooie, Kirby, Yoshi, etc.

Problem is, half the library has aged beyond repair.

NaviLink

I know a lot about the game but for some reason I wasn't aware of this... Funny.

Boss Doggie

Was that also explained in Adventures? If yes I'll file this under "retconned", if not I'll agree with your explanation.
Not at all. Everyone pretty much moves fine. It's just a fantheory that popped out from /v/ that became viral. In fact, prior to that, everyone doesn't seem to care.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Oh come on. Really? Those are all really trivial differences.

dock

SODVsGB.png

Pac-Man fact of the week:
The original Japanese version of Pac-Land drew Pac-Man with a long nose, matching all the Japanese artwork. They redrew him with a small nose and trilby hat for the western version in order to match the Hanna-Barbera cartoon, and got rid of the 'pie-crust' eyes.

Also, people are wrong to bash on this game. It's good.

MikeOShay

Neo Member

"New codes were discovered"? Are you kidding me? I remember getting my game erased in like 2002 when I got these codes off GameFAQs. Unless there are other codes where she erases your game and I'm getting confused. But I distinctly know that was a legitimate threat of doing these, and it was a well-established fact of the sandcastle cheats.

"New codes were discovered"? Are you kidding me? I remember getting my game erased in like 2002 when I got these codes off GameFAQs. Unless there are other codes where she erases your game and I'm getting confused. But I distinctly know that was a legitimate threat of doing these, and it was a well-established fact of the sandcastle cheats.

Seriously, these codes are oooooollllddd, like at least as old as the SnS codes, if not older.

Rich!

Yeah. That's exactly what I said - new codes were discovered.

I didn't say exactly when they were. I first read them in N64 mag back in 2000 or so when Tooie came out.

bjork

SODVsGB.png

The original Japanese version of Pac-Land drew Pac-Man with a long nose, matching all the Japanese artwork. They redrew him with a small nose and trilby hat for the western version in order to match the Hanna-Barbera cartoon, and got rid of the 'pie-crust' eyes.

I was just watching the Chronturbo episode where he covers this, and I never knew about the regional difference in his look. At least the didn't redraw him to look like the pac-man cabinet side art, heh.

Roto13

SODVsGB.png

They also had the same theme song.

Which probably isn't that mindblowing. And might actually have been posted in this thread before.

dock

They also had the same theme song.

Which probably isn't that mindblowing. And might actually have been posted in this thread before.

Yeah, it's fascinating to think of how this game was constructed from pieces of the Pac-Land cartoon. The Pac-Land cartoon theme-tune is excellent, despite the questionable quality of the cartoon overall.

Top Bottom