• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Link Man

Banned
One that I don't think I've ever posted here, but it's something that's always niggled me.

In many RPGs that originate in Japan:

Cure is a spell that heals you.
Heal is a spell that cures you.

Dragon Quest, the biggest RPG in Japan, does not follow this structure.

One that I don't think I've ever posted here, but it's something that's always niggled me.

In many RPGs that originate in Japan:

Cure is a spell that heals you.
Heal is a spell that cures you.

Final Fantasy uses a strange term in Japanese that's neither "Cure" nor "Care", but it's kinda closer to "Care".

And of course its spell for curing status ailments is Esuna.

Tom_Cody

level00eh5kq7.png

I actually remember finding this exit by accident on my very first play through that level as a child.
At the time I though oh cool, but actually I really hate this type of secret because it really doesn't require any thought. When a game accepts this type of secret as a norm then the entire game becomes a fucking hunt for a needle in a hay stack.

Thats one of the reasons I'm not so keen on the New Super Mario series. I don't want to have to jump and against every fucking inch of the game to find an invisible wall, thats just cheap.
Eh, I used to feel that way but I think that the good out weighs the bad. All of the secret coins and exits in those games are optional. I have just accepted that by the time I get to the end of these recent games there will be 5-10 secrets left that I haven't found that I can then just look up without having a guilty conscience.

4lejandro

Eh, I used to feel that way but I think that the good out weighs the bad. All of the secret coins and exits in those games are optional. I have just accepted that by the time I get to the end of these recent games there will be 5-10 secrets left that I haven't found that I can then just look up without having a guilty conscience.

Good thing about SMW (I don't have much mario experience after it) is that the levels that had more than one exit were marked (glowing red, space around, etc) so you didn't have to go nuts on the entire map, if that's not good game design then I don't know what is...

Don't know if it's been posted here, but the game Ittle Dew has a hidden (mostly empty) dungeon that has the same layout as the first dungeon in The Legend of Zelda.

i just found out about something that had always puzzled me about sony's advertising campaign back in 1995:

0C62D9E9-917E-3161-E38DCD815694B8E3.png

i never knew what "enos lives" stood for...until now:

Ready Ninth Of September.

Mind = Blown

goinginkpl4w.gif

Amazing!

That gif is fantastic. Nice job on finding the Power of Love theme (whoever found it). Maybe they didn't have the rights to use it, so they speed it up in hopes nobody would notice?

It still doesn't change the fact that Back to the Future on the NES was a bad game though.

nictron

How are people not seeing that :D

He is wearing a green hood with a golden circlet around it that holds it over the head.

I be played though that game over 20 times since 1993 and this just blew my mind. I suppose that is the beauty of pixel art, everyone's imagination sees something different. But wow, mind blow.

oracrest

I knew what the second song would be before I even started it.

Yep. some musical comparison's are pretty vague at best, but this one is right on the head. A lot of composer's were inspired by popular songs (although I guess one track from the speed soundtrack isn't really popular)

I always made this comparison when I played the first Kyrandia game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUoXCWQXZFE&list=PLB4FEC211DEBC8414

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBal8eNGBWU

This might be old to some, but two things that surprised me.

1) "Music A" in Tetris was initially a completely different song called "Minuet". I don't think I can imagine a world where Tetris isn't remotely associated with "Korobeiniki", but apparently that could've happened. Only 25,000 copies or so of Tetris have this alternate music - version 1.0, essentially - and they're all Japanese. Worldwide releases were all version 1.1, which put the music we all know in place.

2) In Super Mario Bros. 3, the timer counts down slower if you move faster.

Myriadis

...Did you even look at the post above you?

Some of them are in a hurry and just want to add something, but I've also seen some members here that deliberately refuse to read text with more than one line and try to find some bullshit excuse to their TL;DR behavior. Including the very opening post, blaming the OP for that. I hate it.

---

Don't know if already mentioned, but did you know that there is an alternative scene of the clock tower opening in Majoras Mask (something you'll only see once in that game)?

Here's the video.
Comparison with the "original" version (May have to wait a bit, timestamp doesn't really work)

For that to happen, stand on the outside of the observatory. Yes, they did a different cutscene if you just happen to stand on the tiny, fenced off area around midnight on the third day, where you normally are for around 10 second to collect some item.

The detail put in Majoras Mask is completely astounding.

BibiMaghoo

The actress that plays Skylar, the wife of Walter in Breaking Bad, is the voice of Arial, amongst others, in the Legacy of Kain games.

I thought that was pretty mental, though it may be well known by others.

RoyalFool

Banned
Saw somebody playing the UK version of Animal Crossing for the first time this morning and only just noticed they speak gibberish.

In the Japanese version all the animals actually speak Japanese really really quickly, in the European version this is just replaced with gibberish sounds.

LGom09

Lions Gate's "coming soon" jingle is the same as Virtue's Last Reward ominous title screen noise:

Lionsgate jingle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_0OP3Kic7Q&feature=youtu.be&t=48s

VLR jingle:
http://youtu.be/cfKerpXmOrc?t=1m49s
Thank you! I have been looking for the origin of that sound for so long. You can also hear it in a song from Sin and Punishment Star Successor. I heard it somewhere else too and it's been messing with my head.

EDIT: The S&P song is here: http://www.brawlcustommusic.com/game/872. It's called Havoc and you can hear parts of the sound at 0:43 and 0:50.

Saw somebody playing the UK version of Animal Crossing for the first time this morning and only just noticed they speak gibberish.

In the Japanese version all the animals actually speak Japanese really really quickly, in the European version this is just replaced with gibberish sounds.

No, if you listen closely in the English version, they're actually saying all the letters extremely quickly, which in some cases creates sounds that almost sounds like the real words, and other times doesn't.

It's actually a clever way to record just a bit of voice acting (26 letters) but not actually have to go all out. It's been done this way for the whole series. And I'm pretty sure it's literally one set of letters, then made higher or lower for different characters.

vixlar

It is because the Japanese writing system. They write in syllables, so it is easy to make voices of it. In English (or any language that uses Roman alphabet) you need two out three letters to form a syllable. And sometimes they have different phonemic combinations. It is really difficult to transform that to voices. So in the game they only say each letter really fast.

Peagles

Not a mindblowing fact, but just something cool that could be true...

Was watching Adventure Time the other day and saw this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Do3v4vQz8w

I thought, oh that little drum bit sounds familiar! Then I remembered another "rock giant" I'm rather fond of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpZAn-iLuFo

Could be coincidence, but I'd love to think it has been done on purpose! Of course they could just both be paying homage to The Beatles too.

More of a "how didn't I realize it before today?" But in animal crossing, default patterns at able sisters are made by people from Treehut which is a play on Treehouse, the localization group

I don't know how I never put that togetherness.

peronmls

Thank you! I have been looking for the origin of that sound for so long. You can also hear it in a song from Sin and Punishment Star Successor. I heard it somewhere else too and it's been messing with my head.

EDIT: The S&P song is here: http://www.brawlcustommusic.com/game/872. It's called Havoc and you can hear parts of the sound at 0:43 and 0:50.

Lions Gate's "coming soon" jingle is the same as Virtue's Last Reward ominous title screen noise:

Lionsgate jingle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_0OP3Kic7Q&feature=youtu.be&t=48s

VLR jingle:
http://youtu.be/cfKerpXmOrc?t=1m49s

That SFX is actually from some sampling CD available to the public. Like the Fire Temple Chants in Ocarina of Time. I have yet to find the source of what sampling CD it come from but I do hear it everywhere all the time.

Anteo

Well he can be dead because somehow TP link has to inherit the Triforce of Courage and the hero of time is a little kid so he needs to grow first.

RagnarokX

Anyone posted this?
Because damn.

Long video, but worth the watch, I'd say.

Is Link Dead in Majora's Mask?

No. Boy, that was easy!

Wow this video is stupid. Where to begin?

I guess with the Kubler-Ross model itself. It was created as an observation of Elisabeth Kubler-Ross as she worked with terminally ill people to describe how people react to their impending death and/or other impending terrible fates. Calling them "stages" was dumb because even she didn't think there was any order to them, that everyone experienced the same emotions, or that these were the only emotions people felt when dealing with these situations. People are unique and reactions vary.

This theory is extremely laden with confirmation bias. They point out elements of the story and describe it to fit one of the stages of the Kubler-Ross model while ignoring that examples that fit multiple stages are in every area of the world. They assume that this has something to do with Link being dead, ignoring that everyone is feeling grief because there is a fuckton of reasons to feel that way in this world; got a moon falling, people getting their loved ones taken away from them, people dying everywhere. Clock Town does have people in denial. It also has people bargaining, depressed, and accepting. A lot of people in Clock Town aren't in denial. They see the moon falling. That's why there is a town meeting about it.

Then you have the video publishers doing this logic leap:

Termina has scary moon, but Hyrule doesn't have scary moon, therefor Termina must not be real and is Link's death hallucination! Wait guys, there are lots of other ways a place can not exist in the same plane of reality as another place without it being a death hallucination. We're talking about a magical world that features alternate universes in almost every fucking game!

Hero's Shade is the ghost of Hero of Time, therefor theory confirmed! Hero's Shade is an adult... that kinda... you know... does the opposite of confirm this theory.

"You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?" Terrible fate isn't specific. Being turned into a deku scrub and dying are both terrible fates. Describing one as a terrible fate does not mean the other cannot be described the exact same way.

Top Bottom